Start by marking “Angry Cookie” as Want to Read:
Angry Cookie

Angry Cookie

Famed spoken-word poet Laura Dockrill's hilarious read-aloud about an outraged baked good!

Oooohhh . . . not you again!
AGGGHH It's so bright! . . . Close this book this very second, you nosy noodle!

Cookie has woken up on the wrong side of the bed and is very angry. You want to know why? Well, you'd have to keep reading to find out, but now Cookie's calling you annoying and
Published March 12th 2019 by Walker Books US

To ask other readers questions about Angry Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angry Cookie

Whispering Stories
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Cookie isn’t happy that you are reading his book. As you open the first page he is asleep, but then you wake him up by making his room too bright. He wants you to stop being nosy and to close the book again, but alas you carry on reading. He does warn you about how angry he is and that you should leave him alone as there is nothing you can do to cheer him up – or is there!

He tells you all about why he is an Angry Cookie, and believe me if someo
Katie Fitzgerald
This is one of those situations where a book which is otherwise fine just doesn't work for my particular family, and for a very specific reason. Though Angry Cookie does provide kids with a healthy example for how to deal with their anger, it unfortunately includes a scene where Cookie tells his friend Barbara he hates her recorder. My five-year-old is learning to play recorder as part of her homeschool music curriculum, and getting her to practice can be challenging. To have her read about a ch ...more
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A humorous and interactive story about a cookie who wakes up on the wrong side of the bed. A sweet reminder that loving friends with listening ears can turn a crummy day around.
Gina
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
It starts like Don't Push the Button only more aggressively (though not very sincerely, obviously), than the cookie starts to explain why he is so angry, kind of like Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day, and then the cookie takes comfort in the reader's continued presence despite many rejections, apparently encouraging passive aggressive communication and emotionally needy manipulation. I think it would need to be a lot cuter or funnier to pull that off.
Effie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This angry cookie will tell you all about his very specifically horrible day and you'll stick around and listen to him because you're a good friend that way. I love all the details, especially the roommate, Barbra, who only knows one song on the recorder! This was a really fun read about feeling angry and calming down by talking it through.
Jana
This cute picture book takes young readers inside the world of a cookie that's having a horrible day and is in a terrible mood because of it. The interactive nature of the book will have kids giggling a bit. The humorous illustrations and the way things turn around for the cookie make it a nice story to share to help start a discussion about managing one's emotions.
Elizabeth Majka
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Why is Cookie angry? He's not having a good day! Obnoxious roommates, ice cream sundaes that are just plain wrong, and so much more... This book is LOL funny, as it should be since it stars a cookie wearing pants.
Strawberry
I like this book. ‘Angry Cookie’ is a paperback which is about A4 in size although a bit wider. Inside there are thick matt pages filled with illustrations and some text. Cookie is angry, he’s so angry he doesn’t want us to turn the page and keep reading the book, but what happens if you do?

I liked the way this book is narrated from the very first page. From the start Cookie is very angry and addresses us the readers, telling us to go away and not keep reading the book. But as you keep reading
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Angry Cookie by Laura Dockrill, illustrated by Maria Karipidou. PICTURE BOOK. Walker Books (Candlewick), 2018. $17. 9781536205442

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

When the reader opens the book, the cookie inside is very angry and also annoyed as the reader keeps turning the pages, interrupting its personal time. When the cookie finally realizes the reader isn’t leaving, it explains why its so angry – a really awful yesterday! After cookie able to vent, it reali
Linda
First time published here in the U.S., we meet a cookie that shouts back from the pages, "close the book, "you nosy noodle!" It's from Laura Dockrill, a well-known spoken-word poet from the UK, with a story breaking the fourth wall about a very grumpy cookie. The cookie vents about its day, shouting all the time to readers to go away! His problems vary, but young readers will connect to no more strawberry toothpaste, an annoying friend, a bad haircut, and an ice cream shop that’s run out of its ...more
Shaye Miller
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
PLEASE BE AWARE: Angry Cookie has experienced several very unfortunate events, back-to-back, in the last day. So please understand, you're meeting Angry Cookie at a low point. A very low point. But if you make it to the end of the book, Angry Cookie discovers that you hung in there even when confronted with a grumpy, mean, moany, sulky, horrid, and angry cookie. The book showcases the fact that sometimes the best thing we can do is listening patiently while our friends heal from a rough patch. T ...more
Ms Threlkeld
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Cookie is angry. Very angry. And there is nothing you can do about it, so please close the book and leave him alone. Hmm, perhaps he will explain why he is so angry if you insist on sticking around. From an obnoxious roommate who plays the same song over and over on her recorder to a botched haircut to a pigeon who tries to nibble on his head, Cookie has a lot of reasons to be mad. It turns out talking about his terrible day makes him feel better, though, and by the end of the book he isn't so a ...more
Meredith
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Cookie had a bad day yesterday, and now he's one angry cookie.

Cookie is still angry from the day before when he had to listen to his roommate learning to play the recorder. Then he ran out of his favorite flavor of toothpaste. Then he got a bad haircut that he couldn't even hide under a hat because they don't make hats for cookies. Then the ice cream parlor was all out of his favorite treat, this denying him comfort food. Finally, a bird tried to eat him on his way home. It was really bad day. B
Kirsti Call
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
"It all started yesterday when my roommate, Barbra, got out her new recorder. She only knows this one terrible song and keeps playing it over and over again. I hate the recorder! And you're not even allowed to use the word hate. But I just did, so there."

Reminiscent of THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK, this hilarious and interactive book will joke your child right out of a bad mood. The idea of an angry cookie is comical and Cookie's strong personality shows kids that feelings aren't pe
Brianna Clark
This is a fun read about an angry little cookie who doesn't want the reader of the book to keep on following them but as you continue turning the pages the cookie starts getting angrier and angrier and tells you why he is angry to begin with. Then comes the realization that they were angry because no one cared about them until you the reader came along and didn't listen to his cries for you to stop reading the book. I think this would be a fun interactive book for children to respond to as you r ...more
Maureen
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OK so this gets a 5 star because 5-year old wants it read to her again. And picture books are for kids not adults. Which I find is the problem with reviews for children's books (YA on down).

What I didn't like about it is, of course, there has to be some sort of moral at the end - every picture book has to have one - and the book is rather long.
Pam
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Humorous look at emotions for younger readers. Cookie is angry and tells the reader to go away. Once he realizes the reader is staying, he shares why he's angry. Readers see him work through his emotions and decide to change.
Brightly colored illustrations. Expressive characters.
Liz
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cookie is very angry, so much so that they want the reader to close the book. If you keep reading, Cookie will tell you why they are so upset. Your reading/listening ear will help Cookie realize that everything isn't so bad after all.
Angela
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
A cute mix of "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" and "There's a Monster at the End of the Book." The illustrations are cute, but I LOVE the cover!
Kelly
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cookie is angry, and he's explaining why to the reader of the book. Very cute book!
Mahlon
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was cute, but not as heartfelt or emotionally mature about anger as "Grumpy Monkey."
Karen Dubke
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sometimes when you are angry, you just need someone to listen and be there for you. <3
Rebecca Ann
It's just...too awesome. I can't handle it. This would work for so many ages and is both cute and hilarious.
Suebee
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Why, why, why are books like this even published? Only giving 2 stars instead of 1 because the lifelike food is cute. Otherwise, an inane, ridiculous book.
J.L. Slipak
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
SORRY, but this just wasn't for me. The story was fantastic, the artwork not so great!
Mary Lee
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, picture-book, food
An angry and self-centered cookie is in a foul mood until he notices that the reader has stuck with him through it all (why did we do that?).
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one more than I expected I would. It was cute, kept mom and toddler entertained, and it was a fun read-aloud book.
Edward Sullivan
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cookie so full of angst is likely to leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Robin
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Predictable but cute. A reminder that maybe rough days aren't so bad.
Diane
What does a cookie have to be angry about? You name it. A bad haircut, a bird tries to snack on it ... oh, and the reader keeps opening the book and following him around!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »