Start by marking “Daily Rituals: Women at Work” as Want to Read:
Daily Rituals: Women at Work

Daily Rituals: Women at Work

More of Mason Currey's irresistible Daily Rituals, this time exploring the daily obstacles and rituals of women who are artists--painters, composers, sculptors, scientists, filmmakers, and performers. We see how these brilliant minds get to work, the choices they have to make: rebuffing convention, stealing (or secreting away) time from the pull of husbands, wives, children, oblig
Published March 5th 2019 by Knopf Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Daily Rituals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daily Rituals

Start your review of Daily Rituals: Women at Work
Kristen
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
These little snippets are like crack to my soul.
Elizabeth A
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction, art
I read and enjoyed the first book in this series, and appreciated that the author addresses the criticisms of that one in the introduction. It's not all about dead white men after all.

The basic message? Prioritize your work. Make time for it. Get it done.

Like the first one, this is a collection of snippets from memoirs, biographies, interviews, letters, etc. dealing with how 143 women artists get their art done. I found it interesting how many of these women I'd never even heard of
Anna (lion_reads)
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had me compulsively reading the daily rituals of all these women — writers, artists, performers, dancers. I don't know what it is, but I find how people work absolutely fascinating.

I also appreciated Mason Currey's thoughtful author's and acknowledgement notes. He addressed that this book is corrective, considering that his first book covered many more men (usually because their work had fewer social barriers).

Great collection. I want more!
Anastasiya Mozgovaya
being any kind of creative is an immense challenge, but being one when you are a woman is even more complicated. this book is yet another reminder and proof of that. nevertheless, it filled me with enthusiasm, as in 'if they could, so can i'.
Emily
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for routines, so duh, I loved this (so much that I made myself parcel it out over two weeks, reading a section or so to start or end each day). I also SO appreciated the way Mason Currey opens, acknowledging his blind spot in the first Daily Rituals: focusing almost exclusively, though unintentionally, on great MALE artists throughout history. Kudos to him for rectifying the oversight so beautifully.
Khulud Khamis
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book so much! As a writer and someone who is forever struggling with her writing process, I love reading about other women writers and artists (writers, painters, architects, scientists, sculptors, performers, dancers, singers, composers) and their rituals, their habits, and how they manage to integrate their work into their daily lives or, alternately, separate it. A major thread running through many of these women's lives is the challenge of reconciling between their gen ...more
Rhiannon Johnson
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm always fascinated with how authors spend their days. Do they stick to a schedule or do they wait for inspiration? Do they type on their laptop all day or do they write with a pen and paper in the middle of the night?

Mason Currey's "Daily Rituals: Women at Work" gives a glimpse into the working schedules of over 100 fabulous female artists--painters, composers, writers, sculptors, filmmakers, designers, and performers. "Their daily routines, superstitions, fears, eating (and drinking) habits,
teresa
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
What it covers in breadth of many different women artists it loses in anything other than a cursory overview of how each artist approaches work. I find the subject fascinating but yet I found myself bored of reading much the same thing--artists tend to be workaholics that often have to separate themselves from friends and families and spend a lot of time alone and thinking and working. Being a mother I was more interested in how are you able to do that when you have a family.
Anna Maria Ballester Bohn
It's ok, but not as entertaining or helpful as I thought it was going to be. It's probably not meant to be read from front to cover as I did, but more picked through here and there. I found it inconsistent, and some women were clearly in it just because it was supposed to be a book about women artists and it had to have a certain length, because there was next to nothing in there about their working habits. This is probably a great secret santa gift, though, so there's that.
Chris
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed the first Daily Rituals soon after it was released, and loved it – four stars with a bullet. Of all the inspirational self-help writing books you could read about people finding their inner muse or taking that first step, it seemed even more helpful to read endless stories of artists, writers, and composers who failed to ever find a steady rhythm that supported their work. In looking at your own start-stop attempts to create the thing that’s beating inside you, it was very comforting to see ...more
Karen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, first-reads
Full Disclosure: I received an ARC (Advanced Release Copy) of this book.

Mason Currey has written an interesting book full of vignettes on creative women. The book covered painters, sculptors, composers, singers, authors, and more. The book was trying to ascertain whether the daily rituals of these women affected their creativity. Here are some things I gleaned from the book.

*Each woman was unique and had her own pattern for her life.
*Many women were early birds, par
Root_rambler
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
So this book is a series of snippets about 143 female artists through the ages and their creative routines (or lack thereof). This is the sort of book you can keep around and read by opening to a random page, and then another, but because I'm a glutton for punishment I read it straight through without much pausing. I wouldn't recommend this method, because 143 is a LOT of artists. I was stunned by the sheer diversity of routines and workstyles- from early birds to night owls, from those who work ...more
Audrianna Thompson
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: april-2019
I was raised by my mother, a creative soul and artist, and she was raised by her mother who is another creative soul and artist. While the three of us (and my younger sisters) share creative blood that runs through our veins, we all enjoy different mediums, host different rituals, pay homage to various sources of inspiration, and deal with separate obstacles in our lives (both internally and domestic).

This book is a true testament of that and, for me specifically, a HUGE source of in
Hannah Notess
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oof, so ... it's tough. I'm glad this book exists (admittedly, as a corrective to the writer's earlier book). Did I get what I needed and wanted from it? Absolutely not.

Lots of interesting vignettes. So many were absolutely infuriating and enraging - Clara Schumann's abusive husband (it's not named in the book as abuse) who WOULDN'T ALLOW HER TO PRACTICE WHILE HE WAS IN THE HOUSE so she had to use the two hours he spent at the pub. WTF??!!? And a surprising number (or maybe not so surprising?)
Natalie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5? i picked this up because i'm obsessed with learning about creativity and productivity and how other people work. this is a pretty good resource to understand the routines of many different female artists, which i appreciated, but most artists only get a short overview, so i see this as a launching point more than something comprehensive (which makes it more easily digestible, so i'm not really complaining). this book is best read in little chunks (i would have spent longer with this but i b ...more
Caitlin
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Mason Currey's first book, but I adored this much more. I love reading about other people's schedules and rituals in general, but this book just oozes inspiration. It's also full of quirky stories and excellent quotes (such as Frida Kahlo to a friend: "I have suffered two serious accidents in my life, one in which a streetcar ran over me...The other accident is Diego.").

For me it was also a nice balance of women I'd heard of and was interested to learn more about, and women I'd
Nancy Smith
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful 'little' book! Basically it is a short snapshot on how different women writers and artists of all types manage to be creative and still manage the 'day to day' of their lives. From Octavia Butler to Eleanor Roosevelt- who wrote newspapers columns everyday - to many more it looks at women and the hard decisions they had to make. You can read this book all the way through or dip into it every now and then - which I did - to make it last. What you will come away with is a deep adm ...more
Molly Ferguson
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read around in for quick little hits about how well-known women put in the time to create their work. I was impressed with how diverse it was, too. I was so intrigued by the ones that took drugs to write in feverish bursts, and the ones who had to wait until the children were in bed, and the ones who blocked everything out of the morning (even food and drink) to work. My favorite was when Jean Rhys decided that the cows (in the country where they put her out to pasture to ...more
Bianca
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this as a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. I thought it was an interesting book, although different than what I thought it was.
I expected it would be stories about working & maybe inspiring or motivating ideas about succeess as a working woman. It is instead a series of anecdotes and stories from different women throughout time (Eleanor Roosevelt for instance) and their experiences as writers, artists etc. More personal stories interweaving their work in
Kathleen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the essay "The Importance of Unread Books" Kevin Mims discusses 3 types of books in a person's collection: (1) books one has read and kept (2) books kept and unread for long periods of time---the Japanese "tsundoku" and (3) the partially read book which may be revisited.

For most readers, DAILY RITUALS will fall into this third category. I found most of the selections I chose to read __as the author hoped ___ much more than highbrow trivia. A few selections were so thin one wonders
Barbara
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Short vignettes which describe a variety of women artists and writers and how they organized their work life. Uneven due to the nature of the collection, I found some of the essays more interesting than others but it is an easy book to skip around in and just read what you want. I was introduced to a few artists I had never heard of which was good. The organizational structure of the book was a bit confusing at times as it was neither by subject nor by chronology.
Sheila Guevin
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book.

It is a snapshot look at 143 female artists, writers, photographers, actors and how they lived and created within their average day.

The organization is by odd things like those that were unstable, to those that were just quirky. Or those that were structured. Or those that were precisely disciplined.

Fascinating book. I borrowed this from the library, but may purchase a copy for my permanent photography book collection.

Alexandra
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book - learning about the various routines and nuances of famous women. Some descriptions were quite short in comparison to others, almost as if they were just fillers; though there might not have been enough about that particular woman to make it longer.
This book is a wonderful jumping point for anyone wanting to learn more about famous women, giving. book titles, artist movements, and date ranges of activity to further research each person.
Kristine Neeley
While some of the examples were absolutely riveting and highlighted like crazy — others were incredibly underwhelming and I slogged through portions of the book, hopeful to get to better bites. I realize it’s all subjective, but I didn’t take away as much from the book as I’d hoped — but I still took away some inspiration as a female creative at work... as well as a few creatives whose names or work I’d never heard of that I hope to explore a bit more.
Sarah Olson
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful in every way! A wonderful collection you'll want to keep on your desk or bedside table for daily reading. The organization allows you to open anywhere and read a few sections at a time, rather than simply straight-through. A great source of inspiration for yourself or gift for the writer/artist/dreamer in your life.
Weatherly
I love "routine" books, and this is a really good one. I think you're supposed to dip in and out, but I read it in two or three sittings just barreling through, it was a great look into the different kinds of creatives and the way they wrangle their time and energy. Also great cover.
Hazel
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I definitely shouldn't have read this the way I did. If I was a smarter woman i would've bought it and read a very small amount each night or while waiting in line for things. But I didnt do that whoops
Michael Lent
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Inspirational and a worthy subject that is long overdue. That said, I went snow blind after awhile: too many subjects (143) not covered in enough detail (about 2 1/2 pages per) to allow for differentiation. A bit more culling and more time spent each would have made this a great read for me.
Mary
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book to skim through and read a passage each day. Easy to be inspired by these women throughout history and their accomplishments! Highly recommend. Would make a great gift.
Alexandra
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
loved the quotes in here - would make a lovely coffee table book.

• Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
  • Am I Overthinking This?: Over-answering life's questions in 101 charts (Humor Books, Self Help Books, Books About Adulthood)
  • The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals
  • The Lydia Steptoe Stories: Faber Stories
  • Going Under
  • The Art of Leaving
  • Die sanfte Gleichgültigkeit der Welt
  • Autumn Light: Season of Fire and Farewells
  • Why Don't You Write My Eulogy Now So I Can Correct It?: A Mother's Suggestions
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Eros the Bittersweet
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Seattle Walk Report: An Illustrated Walking Tour through 23 Seattle Neighborhoods
  • Hello Girls
  • The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday
  • Art Masters: Basquiat
Mason Currey is a writer and editor living in Los Angeles. His first book, Daily Rituals: How Artists Work, was published by Knopf in 2013 and has been translated into 15 languages. A sequel, Daily Rituals: Women at Work, is out now.