Start by marking “Strange Grace” as Want to Read:
Strange Grace

Strange Grace

Once, a witch made a pact with a devil. The legend says they loved each other, but can the story be trusted at all? Find out in this lush, atmospheric fantasy novel that entwines love, lies, and sacrifice. Long ago, a village made a bargain with the devil: to ensure their prosperity, when the Slaughter Moon rises, the village must sacrifice a young man into the depths of t ...more
Audio CD
Published September 18th 2018 by Tantor Audio

To ask other readers questions about Strange Grace, please sign up.
Angela It is a stand-alone with no plans for a sequel (or at least none disclosed at this time).

Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

“I fell in love with the forest. And the forest loved me back. And so we traded hearts. Mine is here, larger and stronger than it could have been in the small cavern of my body”

I’ve read over one-hundred books so far in 2018, and Strange Grace is easily my absolute favorite. And I anticipate that it will be my favorite book of 2018 come December 31st, too. What a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Literally per
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“This valley is made on love, little bird. Find love. Seek it, always. That is where our power resides.”

In the town of Three Graces, no one is ever injured or killed. To achieve this, the town must sacrifice a boy every seven years — but this year, the sacrifice comes early. Following an angry boy, a saint, and a witch, this book is a weird and magical journey.

→the good stuff←
I memed in this

First of all, god, you guys, the body horror. The tone that feels like a blend of 1300s witchcraft a
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I have a lot of feelings about this book. Strange Grace has been one of my most anticipated 2018 releases all year—I love these dark, witchy fantasy stories, and as soon as I saw Tessa mention it on her twitter back at the start of the year, I wanted to pre-order it right then and there. All the build-up leading to finally reading this twisted little story is precisely why this review is so difficult for me to write.

They made this bargain with the devil: Every seven years their best boy is sen
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

“The old god and the youngest Grace witch. The story says they loved each other, but can the story be trusted at all?”

🌟 I didn’t like and didn’t hate this book but I think it could have been better for sure.
I read this because I like the synopsis very much! I thought that I have read something similar before -And it obviously isn’t new but still good- and I found out that it has the same synops
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
While I did like a lot of things about this, I just could not for the life of me wrap my poor, contemporary loving brain around all of the fantastical elements in this enough to really enjoy it. Womp :(

(Side-note: I definitely think that if you at all enjoy fantasy even just a little bit more than I do, you will LOVE this. It was just way more heavy on the fantasy than I was expecting and I couldn’t immerse myself as much as I was hoping I would)
megs_bookrack
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, Strange Grace is still confounding me. Now I am even waffling on my star rating. Admittedly, there is a lot to think about with this one. The story itself, although beautifully written IMO, is very dense and very heavy. I feel like I am still struggling to get out from under it and gather my thoughts.

I did annotate this book while reading and feel like the only way I am going to come up with a concise review is to go back and read the portions that I flagged ((which was quite a bit))
Candace Robinson
This was a very interesting story and strange would be a great word to use, because strange things are awesome! My favorite kinds of stories involve forests, ones where there are things hidden within.

I thought the author did a good job with the love between the three characters. It was a beautiful thing! Arthur was definitely my favorite, and my goodness did I feel for him. He was angry at times, and he had a right to be! He had a right to be confused, and I wanted to give him a great big hug.

My
Riley
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spooky, lgbtq-fantasy
"The old god and the youngest Grace witch. The story says they loved each other, but can the story be trusted at all?"

This is such a ME book. If you took all the things I love and threw them in a blender, this book would be the product.
🍁 fantasy
🍁 spooky
🍁 dark fairy tale
🍁 witches
🍁 so queer
🍁 gender norms? who is she?

This will be the perfect fall read.
If you are looking for something spooky and atmospheric, this is it.
If you are looking for something witchy, this is it.
If you are looking f
Mel (Epic Reading)
This is one of the most conflicting reviews/ratings I've given lately. Strange Grace is dark, creepy and just the right amount of gory for me. So you'd think it would hit the mark for a teen fantasy read. And it mostly does. However there are moments and times where I feel like something was missing or a connective tissue wasn't quite there. Also refreshing is that it's a stand-alone!!

Foreshadowing
When you write a book that focuses on tidbits of information dropped like easter eggs throughout t
Julie Zantopoulos
In a town free of illness or bad fortune, a deal has been struck with the devil. Their easy living comes at a price, a saint who enters the woods every seven years, seldom to return. What happens in those woods is a mystery. We follow a trio of amazing characters united in their love for one another, Mairwen, a Grace witch; Rhun, the expected saint; and Arthur, a moody outcast who will each have a role to play as the devil demands a heart be sacrificed to the forest to fill the bargain.

This boo
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
I really liked this. I still thought it could have been even better and also creepier but this was just right up my alley. I liked especially the romance but wish even that would have been explored a little more.

But oh man, huge improvement from Blood Magic.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2018
Excuse me... how dare this book be so perfect??? If you’re looking for an atmospheric, spooky read this October, THIS IS IT, PEOPLE. Also, polyamory. I love everything about this book.
Acqua
Strange Grace is a high fantasy novel featuring a polyamorous relationship, terrible bargains, and the creepiest forest since Uprooted.
Which means, of course, that it was exactly my thing. I read it in less than a day - thanks to rivetedlit I could read it legally for free and not for the 11€ this ebook costs, but only for one day - and it's been a while since I did that without skimming. I loved this book so much, for many reasons.

One of them is, of course, the polyamory representation. This is
Britt
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Have you ever realized you were sitting reading with one hand covering your mouth?
That’s how large parts of this book were for me.

Strange Grace was such a beautiful, eerie, twisted, and compelling story.
The haunting atmosphere of the Devil’s Forest with its whispering creatures, shadows over your shoulder, and echoing laughter of the devil will chill your bones while you read – while somehow still coming off as an inspiring story about love and sacrifice.

A witch makes a deal with the devil to
Stacee
DNF at 60%

HOW I WANTED TO LOVE THIS BOOK. I love the cover and the synopsis is magical and I couldn’t wait to get to it. Sadly, it was so boring.

I really liked the three main characters: Mair, Arthur, and Rhun. They’re all in love with each other and the dynamic of their relationship would have been enough for me if it would have been crafted in a different way. The three of them barely have interactions and I wanted to see why they were drawn to each other. Instead it seemed like I was just su
Roshani Chokshi
This book was so atmospherically wonderful. It felt like The Witch by way of Juliette Marillier. Don't miss this when it releases in September!
Ashlee » Library In The Country
View review on my blog, Library in the Country

Review copy generously provided by the publisher via Edelweiss.

Strange Grace was such a beautiful tale about love and sacrifice, with a wonderfully eerie and unsettling twist to it. This is the PERFECT Fall read and perfect if you're looking for something to sweep you up and cradle your heart.

Many generations before Mairwen, Rhun and Arthur were born, their village of Three Graces made a bargain with the devil. Every seven years, the village will wil
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
one of the weirdest yet most fascinating books i’ve read in a while!!!
😮 insanely unique fantasy aspects
😍 three very different but all very interesting main characters
💕 verrrry odd romances
👀 that twist tho!?!?
🌹 that girl power from the heroine? yaaaaas
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
"They made this bargain with the devil: Every seven years their best boy is sent into the forest from sundown to sunrise, on the night of the Slaughter Moon. He will live or die on his own mettle, and for his sacrifice the devil blesses Three Graces."

Thank you Edelweiss and Margaret McElderry Books for sending a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

When reading the synopsis of this book I instantly fell in love with it. I also had a feeling that it would be one of my favorite reads of
Justine
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, audiobook
3.5 stars rounded up

I read this a couple of months ago, and after a bit of time has gone by I have realised that this is one of those books I actually liked more than I thought.

Gratton weaves an incredibly atmospheric tale examining the bonds of love and friendship, and how self-identity bears on them, particularly when you are confronted with changing your conception of who you are.

It also has some horror elements, particularly some stark body horror, making it an all around unusual book that i
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kal ★ Reader Voracious by: Melanie
This is such a weird and beautiful book. Friends, I am struggling to find the words to articulate how much I adored this book. While the premise of a hundreds-year old pacts that provide prosperity to a town in return for sacrifice isn't new, I found Strange Grace to be refreshing and captivatingly written and is one of the best witch stories I've ever read.

Three Graces is an idyllic town: there is no disease, the weather is perfect, injuries heal overnight, and crops grow in abundance. Provide
Eryn
Sep 18, 2018 marked it as soon-to-be-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, reviewed
This sounds like all types of yummy.
I can't wait to dive in!
Karima chermiti

Actual rating : 2.5 stars

Trigger warning : (view spoiler)

Oh, this book is such a mess to me, trying to understand what the hell is happening and what are the rules to the magic the book revolves around felt like trying to find your way back home in the dark completely blindfolded. I really don’t know what was taking place hal
Stephanie Gillespie
See Full Review On My Blog: Between Folded Pages

ARC provided by the publisher/Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This book was everything I want in a book about witches! The writing style is beautiful and atmospheric. Strange Grace captures the feeling of being inside a dark forest perfectly along side a corrupt village. This is the perfect fall read,

Three Graces is a small village, where no harm comes to the villagers. The people do not get sick, babies are born safe without complica
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
ARC provided by the publisher/Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Buddy Read with Melanie @Meltotheany | Julie @Pages and Pens | Candace @ Literary Dust
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Yikes so uhm this was boring.

And I feel like I was wrongly done.

RTC.
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

I received this through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Publishing September 18th!

CW: animal death, bullying, trauma, grief, murder, torture, human sacrifice, abandonment, and general horror

I blame Melanie.

This was a great start to my spooky month. Because, sorry everyone, September is officially October Eve for me. While I did enjoy this, I had some pros and cons while reading it, which I’m going to make as succinct as possible for y’all.

Ther
Fatma
Thanks so much to Simon and Schuster Canada for providing me with an eARC of this via NetGalley!

Strange Grace has such a compelling, eerie premise: every seven years, a boy is sent into the Devil's Forest as a sacrifice to allow the village and its occupants to remain safe and prosperous for the next 7 years. Except, one day, this spell is inexplicably interrupted 3 years into the 7 year interval. THE MYSTERY. THE SUSPENSE. And I gotta admit, the first couple of chapters of this book were ver
Aoife
In Three Graces, every seven years the village's Best Boy runs into the forest to face the devil and most of the time, he doesn't return. Mairwen, Arthur and Rhun have grown up watching men sacrifice themselves to keep the village safe and healthy but a mere three years after the last run, the forest calls for another, and everyone knows it's Rhun's turn next. As the next Grace witch, Mair is determined to keep Rhun safe, and with Arthur's help - between the three of them - maybe they can still ...more
Elisa
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, there it is: my most disappointing read of the year.
I couldn’t have imagined this book would be it.

I read Tessa Gratton’s The Queens of Innis Lear earlier this year and truly, absolutely loved it. It is one of my absolute favorite books of the year, or even the past couple of years. Her writing is beautiful and evocative, so when I found out she had written a mystery novel full of magic and a touch of horror, I was really excited.

But this book... this was NOT GOOD. It was confusing, disjo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Dirty Angel
  • Into the Light (Avery, #2)
  • Chainbreaker (Timekeeper, #2)
  • Never-Contented Things
  • Half-Witch
  • Spencer (Survivor Stories #3)
  • Tempest (Playing the Fool, #3)
  • The Devouring Gray
  • Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery
  • The Silver Tide (The Copper Cat, #3)
  • Blanca & Roja
  • Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Spectacle Vol. 1
  • The Cold Is in Her Bones
  • Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft
  • Looks Over (Gives Light, #2)
Tessa Gratton has wanted to be a paleontologist or a wizard since she was seven. Alas, she turned out too impatient to hunt dinosaurs, but is still searching for a someone to teach her magic. After traveling the world with her military family, she acquired a BA (and the important parts of an MA) in Gender Studies, then settled down in Kansas with her partner, her cats, and her mutant dog. She now ...more
“The sun rises and she approaches the edge. A forest devil, a witch, a young woman, with eyes like a starry night and teeth like cats, and thorny, flowering brambles tangled in her hair, littering white petals behind her. They’re waiting for her. Two of the hearts: one burning, one perfectly in tune. She smiles, lips parted over sharp but not too-sharp teeth. Instead of slowing, she leaps forward. She dives at them, throwing arms around both together. One hisses as some sharp piece of her body slices at his skin, and the other grunts because he catches most of her weight. Neither of them lets go.” 4 likes
“Mairwen strokes a finger down his crooked nose. “Survive, and I’ll marry Arthur to trap him here, and you can live with us, because I’m a witch and you’re a saint and we can do whatever we want, and then you can spend the rest of your life seducing him. We’ll fight all the time, but we’ll be happy.” 4 likes