Start by marking “The Moon's First Friends: How the Moon Met the Astronauts from Apollo 11” as Want to Read:
The Moon's First Friends: How the Moon Met the Astronauts from Apollo 11

The Moon's First Friends: How the Moon Met the Astronauts from Apollo 11

From high up in the sky, the Moon has spent her whole life watching Earth and hoping for someone to visit. Dinosaurs roam, pyramids are built, and boats are made, but still no one comes. Will friends ever come visit her?

Commemorate the extraordinary Apollo 11 spaceflight mission with this heartwarming story of the Moon who just wants a friend.
Published May 7th 2019 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about The Moon's First Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon's First Friends

Joshua Gross
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It was fine.
Andrew
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the Apollo Moon Landing... told from the Moon herself! For thousands of years she has watched Earth's creatures, wishing they would visit her-- and one day they did! A very adorable book with a very brief representation of Earth's evolutionary history leading up to her shining moment.
Genevieve Petrillo
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Feel good fun-packed facts!

If you want to giggle a little, wipe a tear or two, and learn tons of facts in the simplest, sweetest, realest way ever, Moon's First Friends is the perfect book for you. It belongs in every classroom and every household where there’s a curious kiddo, a scientific wonderer, a fun-loving friend, or where a smile is needed to kick off or wrap up a happy day.

Alycia
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read on the 50th anniversary of our landing on the moon.
Jeremy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
At the Barnes and Noble story time in Silverdale, Washington. We had an astronaut cookie and got cool coloring sheets that are space themed!
Jodie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge space nerd. I am looking forward to all of the celebrations getting ready to happen in the next month or two surrounding the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. When I saw this picture book, I had to have it. The story is pretty cute. I loved the illustrations and the way it teaches little kiddos about the moon landing. Loved the non-fiction history at the end.
Michelle Cable
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and a history of a he first moon landing.
Sara
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun premise, with a creative perspective on the moon landing.
Kathryn
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute
Holly
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SUPER CUTE!!! <3
Emma (Miss Print)
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute, simplified history of the first moon landing--from the moon's perspective. Starting with a brief history of evolution and human civilization was a strange choice (and very simplified) but it's a cute story. Lots of meaty back matter included about the Apollo 11 mission, moon phases, and more.
Maggie Mattmiller
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Super sweet story told from the moon's perspective- watching over everything on earth, just wanting visitors/friends! I love the progression of time, I love the friendship aspect, I love the unique perspective, and I love the QR code at the end that lets kids hear Neil Armstrong!
Juliana Lee
Great story about the moon's desire to have visitors. She invites the dinosaurs to come, but they stay on earth. She invites the animals of earth to visit, but they don't come either. Then she sees people starting fire and imagines they want to see the stars in the sky. She waits and waits as people build pyramids and then boats, bicycles, cars, and finally planes. Finally, she watches as scientists experiment with rockets, eventually sending a chimpanzee in orbit. But the chimp doesn't reach he ...more
Yolanda
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book in Barnes and Noble with a deal. If I bought a regular book, this book would only be $7.99. What a bargain! Plus my son loves all things space, so I got two other books I thought my kids would like.

We love this book – especially my 2 year old daughter. I didn’t think she’d pay attention to it, but she’s in love with the illustration of the moon. She really think the moon is her friend, it’s adorable!

The moon is our main character and she wishes for someone to visit her. It shows
RedPoppyReading
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
“The Moon’s First Friends” by Susanna Leonard Hill and illustrated by elisapaganelli_illustration, brings the moon to life. The Moon shines bright from the sky but she is lonely all along. She watches the dinosaurs roam Earth, the Egyptians build pyramids, and the first airplane flight. She hopes that someone will come visit her. Finally a rocket brings people to her and she is delighted to have a visitor. This book is full of facts about the moon and offers a unique perspective of Earth. Darlin ...more
Joan
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For many, many years, the moon has watched the Earth from her home high in the sky. She’s wished to have someone from Earth visit her, for she is lonely. But no one comes. Will she ever have a visitor?

This Adult-Directed picture book, for children ages four through eight, will delight both young readers and their parents with its enchanting friendship message. Charming illustrations accompany the text; information about the moon, the Apollo 11 flight, spacesuits, and the Saturn V rocket follows
Peacegal
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute history of the moon and the Apollo 11 landing using a personified Moon. This book blends fantasy with historical and scientific facts. A section in the back opts for the straight-up factual approach with fun facts, diagrams, etc.

And while I know that parts of this book were obviously meant to be fantasy, I really wish we could stop depicting the animals who have been shot into space experimentally over the years as happy and grinning and having a great time. You don't have to be an expert i
Rob Chappell
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a highly imaginative and extremely delightful tale of how the Moon waited patiently, through eons of time, for friends from Earth to come and visit her, culminating in a wonderfully unique retelling of the Apollo 11 mission and the first lunar landing by astronauts from Earth.

For anyone who has looked up at the Moon with awe and wonder, and for anyone who is waiting for new friends to arrive on the scene -- this book is the PERFECT read for the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 -- to infinit
Alicia Evans
The Moon is lonely without anyone to visit her and she watches Earth's inhabitants throughout history. She waits for a friend in anticipation while she gives them encouragement. This book is really cute! It's full of facts and will captivate young readers who love the moon. Perfect for the 50th anniversary!

For: moon lovers; readers wanting a fictionalized retelling of the moon landing.

Possible red flags: some readers may feel as though the book does not give enough factual information on the top
Bethe
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #41. Fictionalized account from the moon’s POV of the first Apollo lunar landing. Nice look at history from the beginning of the moon’s existence to the dinosaurs to the Wright brothers to the actual walk on the moon. Informative back matter, QR codes to listen to the countdown and Neil Armstrong, timeline. Sources opposite the title page instead of in the back matter which is weird. Case cover art deserves a look.
David Stanich
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book about the story of how the moon watched how animals and mankind developed and eventually made the first trip to the moon. It's quaint and cute and after the story ends it provides some (with parental guidance for big words) detail about the NASA, the moon and it's phases as well as the Saturn V Rocket that took the Lunar Lander to the moon.
Robin lingg
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really cute and explained a little bit of world history as well. The moon is wanting a friend and she watches as centuries pass by with the human race getting so close. Finally, she sees the Apollo 11 mission arriving and is elated by this new development. It's a cute children's story that is informational as well.
Abby Johnson
An anthropomorphized moon longs for friends she's observing on Earth to come visit her, but she'll have to wait as humanity develops enough for the Apollo 11 astronauts to FINALLY come say hi. This is a cute space book with simple enough text for a readaloud. Back matter includes more information about the Apollo 11 voyage.
Austin Gullett
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An early-readers STEAM book about the moon landing. However, there is also a narrative about the relationship between the moon and the inhabitants of the earth through all of the planet history, as well as some facts about the space program; but, it’s all told from the prospective of the anthropomorphic Moon. So, it works on many levels; the drawings are cute, too.
Kelley Mitchell
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute narrative nonfiction about the journey through time to Apollo 11. Would be a great lesson to pair with books about all the things mentioned in the text, like dinosaurs, pyramids, Wright brothers, eclipses, balloons, bicycles, and rockets. Lots of possibilities.
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is pretty simplistic. Perfect for little kids or for a lesson on anamorphic texts. There is good solid info in the back about the 1st trip to the moon. It has QR code to listen to the countdown to launch and the first words spoken on the moon. Pretty cool.
Brittanie
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so cute, it made me a little sad though. The Moon just wanted friends. :,( I guess I’m not really the target audience, but my friends 4 year old loved it too, he had me read it to him twice.
Eleanor Ann
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the moon watches Earth evolve over the ages, she hopes that one day someone will visit her. The book has fascinating back matter about the phases of the moon and Apollo 11. Kids will love the beautiful illustrations of the moon and hearing Neil Armstrong and the countdown.
Sandybear76
cute book at Barnes & Noble. Moon is looking down at Earth and tries to get people to notice her. Finally, the astronauts visit her.
David Monroe
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute story about the first astronauts landing on the moon 🌝!
I am the author of a number of books for children including Punxsutawney Phyllis (a Book Sense Children's Pick and an Amelia Bloomer Feminist Books for Youth pick) and No Sword Fighting In The House (a Junior Library Guild Selection.) I love visiting schools and libraries and sharing reading and writing with kids. Although at age 3 I planned to drive a steam roller, I have since discovered that wr ...more