Start by marking “Moon's First Friends: How the Moon Met the Astronauts from Apollo 11” as Want to Read:
Moon's First Friends: How the Moon Met the Astronauts from Apollo 11

Moon's First Friends: How the Moon Met the Astronauts from Apollo 11

From high up in the sky, the Moon has spent her whole life watching Earth and hoping for someone to visit. Dinosaurs roam, pyramids are built, and boats are made, but still no one comes. Will friends ever come visit her?

Commemorate the extraordinary Apollo 11 spaceflight mission with this heartwarming story of the Moon who just wants a friend.
Published May 7th 2019 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about Moon's First Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon's First Friends

Start your review of Moon's First Friends: How the Moon Met the Astronauts from Apollo 11
La Coccinelle
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, non-fiction
This book teaches kids about history and science, framing the story as a wish for friendship by a lonely moon.

Starting billions of years ago, the story follows the Moon as she watches life on Earth evolve. But until humans come on the scene, she doesn't have much hope of getting to say hello to anyone in person.

The story is cute, and accented by sweet illustrations. The narrative itself is simple, and likely intended for much younger readers than the more scientific notes at the end. Those are n
Joshua Gross
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It was fine.
Set
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
Informational book with the scientific facts and history of the moon. The fun narration is from the moon's pov. The illustrations are oh so cute.
Andrew
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of the Apollo Moon Landing... told from the Moon herself! For thousands of years she has watched Earth's creatures, wishing they would visit her-- and one day they did! A very adorable book with a very brief representation of Earth's evolutionary history leading up to her shining moment.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Moon waits and waits for someone to visit her. She waits through the time of the dinosaurs, early man, the Pyramids, the first planes, and occasionally shows off with an eclipse to draw attention to herself. At last she gets a visitor, and the visit is sweet for both the visitors and the Moon.

A nice walk through history.
Genevieve Petrillo
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Feel good fun-packed facts!

If you want to giggle a little, wipe a tear or two, and learn tons of facts in the simplest, sweetest, realest way ever, Moon's First Friends is the perfect book for you. It belongs in every classroom and every household where there’s a curious kiddo, a scientific wonderer, a fun-loving friend, or where a smile is needed to kick off or wrap up a happy day.

Jeremy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
At the Barnes and Noble story time in Silverdale, Washington. We had an astronaut cookie and got cool coloring sheets that are space themed!
Alycia
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read on the 50th anniversary of our landing on the moon.
Jodie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge space nerd. I am looking forward to all of the celebrations getting ready to happen in the next month or two surrounding the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. When I saw this picture book, I had to have it. The story is pretty cute. I loved the illustrations and the way it teaches little kiddos about the moon landing. Loved the non-fiction history at the end.
Michelle Cable
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and a history of a he first moon landing.
Sara
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun premise, with a creative perspective on the moon landing.
Kathryn
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SUPER CUTE!!! <3 ...more
Emma
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute, simplified history of the first moon landing--from the moon's perspective. Starting with a brief history of evolution and human civilization was a strange choice (and very simplified) but it's a cute story. Lots of meaty back matter included about the Apollo 11 mission, moon phases, and more.
Maggie Mattmiller
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Super sweet story told from the moon's perspective- watching over everything on earth, just wanting visitors/friends! I love the progression of time, I love the friendship aspect, I love the unique perspective, and I love the QR code at the end that lets kids hear Neil Armstrong!
Juliana Lee
Great story about the moon's desire to have visitors. She invites the dinosaurs to come, but they stay on earth. She invites the animals of earth to visit, but they don't come either. Then she sees people starting fire and imagines they want to see the stars in the sky. She waits and waits as people build pyramids and then boats, bicycles, cars, and finally planes. Finally, she watches as scientists experiment with rockets, eventually sending a chimpanzee in orbit. But the chimp doesn't reach he ...more
Yolanda
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book in Barnes and Noble with a deal. If I bought a regular book, this book would only be $7.99. What a bargain! Plus my son loves all things space, so I got two other books I thought my kids would like.

We love this book – especially my 2 year old daughter. I didn’t think she’d pay attention to it, but she’s in love with the illustration of the moon. She really think the moon is her friend, it’s adorable!

The moon is our main character and she wishes for someone to visit her. It shows
Maria Marshall
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
The moon's face, on the cover (and throughout the book), is so tender and full of child-like wonder and excitement, it immediately snags the potential reader. Elisa definitely boosted the books meteoric success with these covers.
While this is an adorable book about the moon's desire for a friend and the first Apollo moon landing, it is also a very subtle science and history book as well. With just enough information to get kids asking questions and spurring conversations and hopefully research,
RedPoppyReading
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
“The Moon’s First Friends” by Susanna Leonard Hill and illustrated by elisapaganelli_illustration, brings the moon to life. The Moon shines bright from the sky but she is lonely all along. She watches the dinosaurs roam Earth, the Egyptians build pyramids, and the first airplane flight. She hopes that someone will come visit her. Finally a rocket brings people to her and she is delighted to have a visitor. This book is full of facts about the moon and offers a unique perspective of Earth. Darlin ...more
Joan
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For many, many years, the moon has watched the Earth from her home high in the sky. She’s wished to have someone from Earth visit her, for she is lonely. But no one comes. Will she ever have a visitor?

This Adult-Directed picture book, for children ages four through eight, will delight both young readers and their parents with its enchanting friendship message. Charming illustrations accompany the text; information about the moon, the Apollo 11 flight, spacesuits, and the Saturn V rocket follows
Peacegal
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute history of the moon and the Apollo 11 landing using a personified Moon. This book blends fantasy with historical and scientific facts. A section in the back opts for the straight-up factual approach with fun facts, diagrams, etc.

And while I know that parts of this book were obviously meant to be fantasy, I really wish we could stop depicting the animals who have been shot into space experimentally over the years as happy and grinning and having a great time. You don't have to be an expert i
Rob Chappell
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a highly imaginative and extremely delightful tale of how the Moon waited patiently, through eons of time, for friends from Earth to come and visit her, culminating in a wonderfully unique retelling of the Apollo 11 mission and the first lunar landing by astronauts from Earth.

For anyone who has looked up at the Moon with awe and wonder, and for anyone who is waiting for new friends to arrive on the scene -- this book is the PERFECT read for the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 -- to infinit
Alicia Evans
The Moon is lonely without anyone to visit her and she watches Earth's inhabitants throughout history. She waits for a friend in anticipation while she gives them encouragement. This book is really cute! It's full of facts and will captivate young readers who love the moon. Perfect for the 50th anniversary!

For: moon lovers; readers wanting a fictionalized retelling of the moon landing.

Possible red flags: some readers may feel as though the book does not give enough factual information on the top
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(i did read the kindle version, i don't see that as an option here on Goodreads??!) moon facts and fun, i love the moon. "I see the moon and the moon sees me. God bless the moon and God bless me." i could have swore that was a poem ...but I am not having any luck to give credit to wrote it ...that is odd .. i remember saying that as a kid ... not as a prayer ...but like just a cute saying??! that is going to drive me nuts. i did google it ...no luck yet??! any who ... this is a great read about ...more
Bethe
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #41. Fictionalized account from the moon’s POV of the first Apollo lunar landing. Nice look at history from the beginning of the moon’s existence to the dinosaurs to the Wright brothers to the actual walk on the moon. Informative back matter, QR codes to listen to the countdown and Neil Armstrong, timeline. Sources opposite the title page instead of in the back matter which is weird. Case cover art deserves a look.
Carrie Charley Brown
Just as the sun reflects on the moon's surface, this tale reflects a familiar story of friendship for children while also offering them a chance to inquire about the history of astronauts. Looking at this from the moon's perspective allows the reader a chance to feel sorry for the moon and hope that she will have a friend. It propels the page turns, keeping the reader engaged. Picture book magic!
Matthew
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a great primary read about the first flight to the moon. Moon is alive and longing to have visitors, and she observes human activity as they slowly progress through the development of aviation and rocketry until the Apollo 11 mission finally lands two astronauts on the moon. It stops before mentioning the other ten astronauts that went to the moon after Apollo 11, but it is successful in its intended purpose. The illustrations are warm and playful and very appropriate to the text.
Robin lingg
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really cute and explained a little bit of world history as well. The moon is wanting a friend and she watches as centuries pass by with the human race getting so close. Finally, she sees the Apollo 11 mission arriving and is elated by this new development. It's a cute children's story that is informational as well.
Austin
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An early-readers STEAM book about the moon landing. However, there is also a narrative about the relationship between the moon and the inhabitants of the earth through all of the planet history, as well as some facts about the space program; but, it’s all told from the prospective of the anthropomorphic Moon. So, it works on many levels; the drawings are cute, too.
David Stanich
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book about the story of how the moon watched how animals and mankind developed and eventually made the first trip to the moon. It's quaint and cute and after the story ends it provides some (with parental guidance for big words) detail about the NASA, the moon and it's phases as well as the Saturn V Rocket that took the Lunar Lander to the moon.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Llama Destroys the World
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Not Quite Snow White
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Unicorn Day
  • How to Read a Book
  • The Scarecrow
  • Give Me Back My Book!: (Funny Books for Kids, Silly Picture Books, Children's Books about Friendship)
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • A Normal Pig
  • Moon! Earth's Best Friend
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Flora and the Flamingo
  • Who Wet My Pants?
I am the author of a number of books for children including Punxsutawney Phyllis (a Book Sense Children's Pick and an Amelia Bloomer Feminist Books for Youth pick) and No Sword Fighting In The House (a Junior Library Guild Selection.) I love visiting schools and libraries and sharing reading and writing with kids. Although at age 3 I planned to drive a steam roller, I have since discovered that wr ...more

News & Interviews