Start by marking “When Spring Comes to the DMZ” as Want to Read:

When Spring Comes to the DMZ

Korea's demilitarized zone has become an amazing accidental nature preserve that gives hope for a brighter future for a divided land.

This unique picture book invites young readers into the natural beauty of the DMZ, where salmon, spotted seals, and mountain goats freely follow the seasons and raise their families in this 2.5-mile-wide, 150-mile-long corridor where no human
Expected publication: March 8th 2019 by Plough Publishing House

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 08, 2019
    Korea’s demilitarized zone has become an amazing accidental nature preserve that gives hope for a brighter future for a divided land.

This unique pictu

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 20 copies available, 450 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 18 - Feb 28, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about When Spring Comes to the DMZ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Spring Comes to the DMZ

Jane
    When Spring Comes to the DMZ is a beautiful but bittersweet story set in the 4 km-wide demilitarized zone between South Korea and North Korea. Each of the two countries has put up a fence at their respective boundary of the zone to keep people from travelling between the nations.

We loosely follow the narrator's grandfather as he makes a pilgrimage to the South Korean fence each season to look longingly to the North through binoculars.

Although the fences are not so great for people, the plants
    stefiereads
    Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I don't know how to express how I feel reading this because it is mixed of beautiful yet sad. DMZ is something new to me. Never heard about it before and I am glad I read this book, because I always love book that add something to my knowledge. As a bonus, the illustration is really beautiful. It captured the story really well.
    I highly recommended everyone of all age to pick this book up :)
    Mimi
    Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
    A beautifully illustrated, touching story. Beauty can be found in odd places, and the longing for home is woven throug nicely.
    MissBecka
    Thank you NetGalley and Plough Publishing for the DRC.

This is a lovely way to educate children (and adults) on peace and acceptance.
    This beautiful picture book takes a look at the wonderful things that can be found in the portion of land held between the fenced in borders of North and South Korea. This area is know as the DMZ (demilitarized zone) and no humans are allowed to set foot on it.
    As a result all kinds of plants and animals you may not find anywhere else in Korea flourish and live in h
    Ivonne Rovira
    Jan 16, 2019 added it
    Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
    South Korean author and artist Uk-Bae Lee has crafted an enchanting book that contrasts the wildlife that now thrive in the demilitarized zone that divides North and South Korea with the military men who keep the two peoples apart. Lee’s softly tinted, detailed illustrations hail back to an earlier time, reminding me of Lois Lenski’s Strawberry Girl, Berta and Elmer Haders’s The Big Snow, or any of Marguerite de Angeli’s beautiful books.

In When Spring Comes to the DMZ, a boy and his grandfather
    Dana-Adriana B.
    Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    This is a very touching and a beautifully illustrated book. The author is telling us about DMZ, the demilitarized zone that separates North and South Korea, that is now a zone full of beautiful creatures and vegetation.
    Thanks to Netgalley and the author for this beautiful book.
    Bunny
    Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: read-in-19, netgalley
    Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

This beautifully illustrated and extremely touching picture book tells the story of an area I didn't even know existed. The DMZ, or the demilitarized zone, is the 2.5-mile-wide, 150-mile-long corridor between North and South Korea. Separated by fences, it is a lush land full of wildlife and forests where no one is safe to walk. It's a paradise, surrounded by war.

It's told from the perspective of a grandfather to his grandchild, a
    Alisha
    Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
    The only thing I've had brain power for this week (in the recreational reading department) is this picture book. And, yeah, it's about the DMZ... not perhaps what you would immediately reach for when thinking of nice, pleasant children's picture books. It just happened to be next on my list from NetGalley. As it turns out, I thought it was pretty good. It is beautifully illustrated and simply written.

The DMZ, or demilitarized zone between North and South Korea, has become an unexpected sort of w
    Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Did you know that the DMZ, the zone between the two Koreas, is effectively a wild life refuge, and that people no one lives there, some plants and animals that live there, live no where else. So, it is not so odd a think to go and visit the observation deck and look out into it.

A very different sort of picture book, that juxtaposes the wild life with the armies that also live right on the edge of the zone.

DMZ

DMZ

Good book to teach about the area, and also reflect on what has happened all these years.

Pr
    Rebekah Giese Witherspoon
    Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
    This children’s picture book is touching and poignant. It focuses on the peacefulness of the animals who thrive in the DMZ (demilitarized zone) between North Korea and South Korea. We see lovely drawings of these little creatures contentedly nurturing their families and building their homes, blissfully unaware of the fact that they live within two barbed wire barricades.

Grandfather, on the other hand, is constantly aware of the wall that divides him from the rest of his family. Spring, summer, a
    Danielle
    Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    This is a beautifully written and illustrated book. Over the course of a year we see how the division between North and South Korea affects both the people and the animals who live there. The illustrations are delightful and lively. The character of Grandfather embodies all those who have been impacted by the separation. We live in a global society and a book like When Spring Comes to the DMZ is a valuable tool for parents or teachers who wish to help children understand the life and history of ...more
    Christina
    Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Uk-Bae Lee does an excellent job creating a children's book gentle enough to introduce the conversation regarding the divide of South Korea and the North Korea--which, I hope that any children that I would ever have would care about (mostly because I care so much about what God is doing there), without over introduction to the terrible reality that has ripped apart the two countries and has isolated an entire population under a totalitarian dictator. (Wow, that was a really long sentience for a ...more
    Rogene Carter
    Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: picture-books
    A wonderfully political and poetic look at the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea. I particularly loved the character of the grandfather and how he dreams of a peaceful resolution between the two governments.
    January Gray
    Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Do yourself and your children a HUGE favor and buy this book! Amazing isn't the right word to describe it! It is beyond amazing!

This will stay in you and your child's memory for a very long time!
    Chinook
    Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: korea, kids, net-galley
    After living in South Korea for a decade, I’m often surprised by how little people know about the country. This children’s book illustrates a feature of the DMZ that most likely hadn’t heard of - it’s a haven for wildlife. My daughters enjoyed the illustrations, which are gorgeous, and while they are a bit young to comprehend the Korean War and the division of the country, they seemed very interested in the story of Grandfather missing his home. This is one to buy a paper copy of, for sure.
    Jim
    Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Wow! Not only is this an a compelling and beautiful book, it kindled an interest in me to dig deeper and see the evolution of the DMZ and the two separate countries of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea.

What a way to get people interested in history and the issues facing the peoples of North and South Korea!

Recommended.

Thanks to NetGalley and Plough Publishing for a copy in return for an honest review.
    Becky B
    A look at the animals that have made the DMZ between North and South Korea home, how activities around the DMZ change with the seasons for both animals and people. And how many people long to be able to cross that place where the animals roam freely.

How do you broach the subject of old military actions and the divisions between countries and politics with kids? The author of this book has chosen to use animals living peacefully and contrast it with the activities of soldiers going through practi
    Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
    ~*Check out my blog, The Bent Bookworm!*~

When Spring Comes to the DMZ is an important book. It is so easy for much of the world to forget the war that happened more than half a century ago, and the countries and people still affected by it. I spent two years in South Korea with the U.S. Army, and made more than one trip to the DMZ. In a country full of people (Seoul, less than an hour's drive from the DMZ, is HUGE and a beautiful city well worth visiting), the DMZ area is somewhat startling in i
    Suzanne
    Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
    The beautiful paintings in this book show the variety of wildlife that has made the DMZ into a place of abundant animal life. Scenes from the changing seasons of the year include salmon swimming upstream to spawn, mountain goats clambering over rocks, and water deer and otters in the river. But readers can also see the fences and troops on each side of the zone, and the rusted pieces of equipment and weapons left behind from the Korean War. A grandfather climbs to the observatory and looks out o ...more
    Kristina
    Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: netgalley, 2019
    I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am not entirely sure this should be a children's picture book. There are wonderful illustrations, and a clear progression through seasons, which I think was the goal of the book. In that regard, it was successful. I get the feeling the author was trying to push an agenda item, rather than illustrate a story. The story was of a child and his grandfather, repeatedly visiting the DMZ fence to observe
    Kimberly
    Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: for-review
    This book, The Spring comes to the DMZ, is an ARC from Plough Publishing.
    It is a well illustrated and descriptive picture book that follows a Korean Grandfather as he views life within the Demilitarized Zone in Korea. The descriptive images of open skies, animals, and vegetation that are illustrated and the story of how the Grandfather yearns to see the other side provides a story of how life continues to prosper within the zone, and yet how it continues to deter life.
    At the end of the book is
    Theediscerning
    Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Wow. I'd have always thought that if a space could be used by wildlife or humans, the better choice would be for it being used by wildlife. But the DMZ is a rare case – a place that humans cannot go, for the worst reasons. So this accidental animal sanctuary – bursting with diverse life, as the lovely artwork here proves – ought perhaps to be forgotten about, torn down and returned to use by mankind. It's a very rare occasion when anyone would say that, but this is a rare occasion, and the issue ...more
    Martha
    Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is a touching story with beautiful illustrations. The story shares the beauty and growth that continues in the DMZ as the narrator's grandfather visits during each season looking north in longing to his home land. Apparently the DMZ is a strip of land that has become a wild life refuge between North and South Korea. Uk-Bae Lee skillfully uses this area to portray its natural beauty while also conveying the sadness of war, separation and loss. In addition to the growth and beauty of the anim ...more
    Corrie
    Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, arcs
    *I was graciously given this e-ARC from Plough Publishing House via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.”

When Spring Comes to the DMZ is both beautifully illustrated, and simply written, to allow readers, young children especially, to understand what the space in the DMZ means for wildlife between North and South Korea.

Uk-Bae Lee is talented, and I enjoyed reading this book, and seeing the untouched wildlife that freely moves through this zone of land separated to bring peace.

I do wish
    Paul Franco
    Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: travel
    This has to be the strangest idea for a children’s book. . . maybe not so much for a kid growing up in South Korea, but still. . .
    Vegetation and animals can do whatever they want at the border’s no-man’s-land, but not people. A grandfather is a unifying figure in the story, as he climbs to the observatory to take in the view over and over. The reader is led to believe he’s looking at the landscape and all the animals described, but of course it’s so much more than that.
    Despite the small article
    Natalia Heaney
    Wedged between World War Two and Vietnam, the Korean War is often overlooked, even though it still has a huge effect on world issues today.

When Spring Comes to the DMZ (the demilitarised zone that separates North and South Korea) shows what can happen when nature is left to reclaim a place abandoned by humans due to disaster.

The book is also a reminder that – to this day – families are still torn apart by a conflict that began over six decades ago.

The book brings into mind recent stories about o
    Cat
    Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    What a beautifully illustrated book! I loved the story. Very poignant. My family can relate to it. Some of my family were left in E. Germany after the war. We didn't have any contact with them until 1990. Sadly, for the older generation, they didn't live long enough to reunite with each other, but us cousins enjoyed meeting! For all people divided and separated due to war, don't lose hope, times change and you may all meet again! I hope some day the countries in the story will be united again. M ...more
    Susan
    Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    In this picture book, the author has introduced me to the demilitarized section of Korea. It is a 2.5 mile wide and 150 miles long where no humans are allowed - not even for a walk. It has become a place that mountain sheep and others may freely lived. It is a nature preserve by default. There is the hope and dreams of families and friends finding each other in the future even though they can’t now in this book. The book gives a different perspective of Korea.

Disclosure: I received an arc of thi
    Laura Reading
    This is a very difficult book to review. The illustrations are amazingly beautiful. I liked the expressions on the faces of soldiers and seals. I see the value in the book`s message but I am not sure I would choose it for children as the main audience.
    Overall the feeling is sad but the message that unification could be possible in the future is hopeful. I am just not getting that message.
    Grandfather hopes it is possible in his lifetime, but wishes and dreams do not make it so.

There is value in t
    Sofia
    Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: kids-books
    This review is based on an advance copy via Edelweiss+

A poignant and beautiful look at the wild animals of Korea and the border that defines their habitat. This is a cyclical narrative that keeps coming back to "Grandfather", who looks out from the South with longing at the North throughout the seasons. Although humans take a slight back seat in the story, in the end, it's really about the desire to unite a country that has been divided. The wild animals don't acknowledge the border and carry on