Start by marking “Rumple Buttercup: A Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself” as Want to Read:
Rumple Buttercup: A Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself

Rumple Buttercup: A Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself

A charming and inspiring story written and narrated by Criminal Minds actor/director, Matthew Gray Gubler.

Rumple Buttercup has five crooked teeth, three strands of hair, green skin, and his left foot is slightly bigger than his right.

He is weird.

Join him and Candy Corn Carl (his imaginary friend made of trash) as they learn the joy of individuality as well as the magic of
Published April 2nd 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rumple Buttercup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumple Buttercup

Start your review of Rumple Buttercup: A Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself
Emma Giordano
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such an adorable picture book!

I've been a massive fan of Matthew Gray Gubler since I was 14 and have spent the last 8 years lusting after him on Criminal Minds (physically, intellectually, and artistically). I'm familiar with his innovative art style, so I was immensely pleased to see him creating a picture book full of his unique illustrations!

I was able to read this book in roughly 5-10 minutes due to the spacious nature of the pages and minimal text. I do wish it had been longer and had more
Schizanthus Nerd
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need to read this book every day for the rest of my life! Also, Rumple Buttercup is my new best friend!

Rumple lives in a drain beneath the town, hiding from the people he’s sure will reject him because he’s weird. He spends his time watching people interacting with one another and enjoying their lives but he is desperately alone so he makes his own friend out of trash, Candy Corn Carl.

I adore Rumple and love that this book is a celebration of weirdness. Let’s face it; we’re all weird in our ow
Emily
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 2020

This was my final book for the Reading Rush 2020!! Perfect choice. My original review still stands 😌

Original review 2019

I love this book just as much as I love the man who wrote it. 🤩
smars
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
u can fucking bet I’m reading this to every little cousin I have and if I ever have kids I’ll read it to them too.
Savannah Breckenridge
Are you weird? I'm definitely weird. You know what? Being weird is AWESOME because we're all weird in our own weird way. Matthew Gray Gubler provides a strikingly strange yet lovable creature to teach kiddos that no matter who you are or how "different" you are -- you are great! Weirdness is simply a facet of us all that should be celebrated.
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
Awww this was the cutest (and a bit heartbreaking) 12 minutes ever! Listened to the audiobook and the narrator/author did SUCH an amazing job. Fell in love with Rumple Butter in under a minute! 😍

Huge thanks to PRH Audio for the review copy! Will review soon!
*JEN the booknerd*
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable picture book about not feeling like you fit in.
Malissa
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, chapter
Everything I was anticipating, plus some.

The audio version is also fantastic.
Cameron
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
We read this while standing in line and were quite entertained.

3 stars as I am not the target audience.
Abigail Clearfield
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think one theme for this book is to believe in yourself no matter what. In this book Rumple doesn't think other people with accept him and decides to isolate himself away from all other people. He later finds that people are different and weird like him and that is okay.
Tayler K
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, own
I made the spectacular decision to go ahead and buy the audiobook so I could listen to Matthew read this book to me. 💚

Look, it's MGG. I love it automatically. But this really is a great story about accepting yourself and being kind to others, acknowledging that we're all some kind of weird, and that's what makes us great.

And omg, he didn't just write the book, he wrote the book, by hand. It's not typed, it's handwritten. (I do wonder if they made an MGG's Handwriting font to do the copyright pa
petertingles
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book was so so sweet and shared such a great message! i’ve been needing some self love and appreciation and this book really helped to put a smile on my face and a few tears in my eyes
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
my favorite book of 2020? more likely than you think.
Laniesbooks
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Simply Amazing :)
Kat Foster
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was great. Everything I expected and wanted from Matthew Gray Gubler.
Yaritza
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect book to share with children to teach them that we are all different and have our own personal flaws. Rumple was different because of his green skin color, three strands of hair, 5 crooked teeth and one foot was bigger than the other. He lived in a drain hiding from everyone. He saw everyone normal and he was scared he won't be accepted into the community. Rumple was always alone and decided to make a friend out of garbage he found. Unfortunately, he only had a one way conversation. He ...more
Brittany
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you're a fan of Matthew Gray Gubler, you should get this. The man has such a fun, quirky art style and such a big heart that this... this is just super sweet, okay? I know it's a picture book mostly meant for kids, but this made me smile so hard. I've been a fan of this guy for a majority of my life because he's someone in the spotlight who isn't afraid to be weird and to be completely, authentically, enthusiastically himself. There's just something so refreshing and admirable about him - and ...more
Danielle
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
“Everyone is weird and that’s what makes us great.” Sweet message (and one I’m currently trying to impart to my six year old daughter), but I was surprised by the lack of diversity.
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
“Everyone is weird and that’s what makes us great.”

I love Matthew Gray Gubler and his first book did not disappoint.
Along with his notable and distinctive artwork, MGG tells a charming tale about a lovely green creature who lives out his life below ground, fearful of the human reception he’ll receive above.

Rumple Buttercup (that name!) is a story of being yourself & learning to love that self, celebrating differences, inclusion & belonging, and all the wonderfully weird things in life.

Bet
Cassie
So sweet! That's right, Rumple, we're ALL weird in our own way. I love this book! We read it over and over at our house. I love how he learns to love and appreciate his weirdness. Hooray for weird!
alyssa
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I read this book for a quick Reading Rush boost to keep my spirits up and to fulfill some of the challenges, and honestly it was awesome and i would highly recommend it to anyone buying a kidlet books for their birthday. Not only is the art funny and quirky, but it really shows the reader that everyone is weird and nobody notices because they’re focussed on their own weirdness.
Dierric Rogers
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and funny take on how everyone is weird. Every person thinks something about them is weird which makes them recoil in embarrassment because they think less of them self. Rumple Buttercup is a monster who just wants to be seen not for being different, but for who he is. He discovers in the end that he isn't as invisible or scary as he thinks he is.
Julie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-readers, own-it
Matthew Gray Gubler is amazing and I loved listening to him read this out loud even if he was being rushed 😂 It's a super cute story about insecurities and friendship.
Sabrina
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it takes a monster with green skin and five crooked teeth to remind you that no one is perfect. And that you cannot be seen without your banana hat.
Jackie
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I expected nothing less of sweet MGG. A lovely story, lovely author, and a lovely Rumple!
Rachel
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read. The art is cute, the character is comical, and the message it promotes is just well done. Fell in love with this and highly recommend it!
Kari
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I bought this book because of who the author/Illustrator was (love him in Criminal Minds!) It’s a wonderfully whimsical book that addresses the topic of self worth in a way that will make any child (or adult) struggling to “fit in” understand that its perfectly fine to be “weird”. In a world that judges everything and everyone, We need a lot more Rumple Buttercups.
Liz
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, favorites
“Everyone is weird and that’s what makes us great”

I wanna go to the Pajama Jam Cotton Candy Pancake Parade! This was adorable. Gube delivered on his first children’s book and I hope he continues to write!
Nancy Kotkin
This message-heavy book is a cross between a picture book and a children's chapter book; there's an illustration on every page/spread, but way too many pages (130+) for a picture book. It would have worked better as a standard 32-pg picture book. The illustrations are amateurish. The theme of "Everyone is weird" is relevant but I feel battered over the head with it. The resolution of insta-friendship feels forced and unsatisfying. Also, the lack of terminal punctuation makes reading the story mo ...more
Ms BookAholic
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Matthew Gray Gubler as an actor. So I knew I had to check out his book. Even though it was a juvenile book, my daughter(4 years old and myself) enjoyed it immensely. The book was silly but told a heartwarming story of its okay to be different and BE YOURSELF. The creativity in the book is adorable. Job well done. I would recommend reading to your little ones or maybe give it a go for yourself.

• The Boring Book
  • A Normal Pig
  • The Worst Book Ever
  • What Kind of Car Does a T. Rex Drive?
  • Sock Story
  • Five Minutes: (That's a Lot of Time) (No, It's Not) (Yes, It Is)
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez
  • Bruno, the Standing Cat
  • Hector: A Boy, A Protest, and the Photograph that Changed Apartheid
  • Remarkables
  • Stay
  • The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
  • What Is Inside THIS Box? (Monkey & Cake, #1)
  • Wildheart: the daring adventures of John Muir