Start by marking “Rumple Buttercup: A Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself” as Want to Read:
Rumple Buttercup: A Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself

Rumple Buttercup: A Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself

A charming and inspiring story written and illustrated by Criminal Minds actor/director, Matthew Gray Gubler.

Rumple Buttercup has five crooked teeth, three strands of hair, green skin, and his left foot is slightly bigger than his right.

He is weird.

Join him and Candy Corn Carl (his imaginary friend made of trash) as they learn the joy of individuality as well as the magic
Published April 2nd 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rumple Buttercup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumple Buttercup

Emma Giordano
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such an adorable picture book!

I've been a massive fan of Matthew Gray Gubler since I was 14 and have spent the last 8 years lusting after him on Criminal Minds (physically, intellectually, and artistically). I'm familiar with his innovative art style, so I was immensely pleased to see him creating a picture book full of his unique illustrations!

I was able to read this book in roughly 5-10 minutes due to the spacious nature of the pages and minimal text. I do wish it had been longer and had more
Emily
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book just as much as I love the man who wrote it. 🤩
Cameron
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
We read this while standing in line and were quite entertained.

3 stars as I am not the target audience.
Savannah Breckenridge
Are you weird? I'm definitely weird. You know what? Being weird is AWESOME because we're all weird in our own weird way. Matthew Gray Gubler provides a strikingly strange yet lovable creature to teach kiddos that no matter who you are or how "different" you are -- you are great! Weirdness is simply a facet of us all that should be celebrated.
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
Awww this was the cutest (and a bit heartbreaking) 12 minutes ever! Listened to the audiobook and the narrator/author did SUCH an amazing job. Fell in love with Rumple Butter in under a minute! 😍

Huge thanks to PRH Audio for the review copy! Will review soon!
Yaritza
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect book to share with children to teach them that we are all different and have our own personal flaws. Rumple was different because of his green skin color, three strands of hair, 5 crooked teeth and one foot was bigger than the other. He lived in a drain hiding from everyone. He saw everyone normal and he was scared he won't be accepted into the community. Rumple was always alone and decided to make a friend out of garbage he found. Unfortunately, he only had a one way conversation. He ...more
*JEN the booknerd*
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable picture book about not feeling like you fit in.
Abigail Clearfield
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think one theme for this book is to believe in yourself no matter what. In this book Rumple doesn't think other people with accept him and decides to isolate himself away from all other people. He later finds that people are different and weird like him and that is okay.
smars
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
u can fucking bet I’m reading this to every little cousin I have and if I ever have kids I’ll read it to them too.
Brittany
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you're a fan of Matthew Gray Gubler, you should get this. The man has such a fun, quirky art style and such a big heart that this... this is just super sweet, okay? I know it's a picture book mostly meant for kids, but this made me smile so hard. I've been a fan of this guy for a majority of my life because he's someone in the spotlight who isn't afraid to be weird and to be completely, authentically, enthusiastically himself. There's just something so refreshing and admirable about him - and ...more
Liz
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
“Everyone is weird and that’s what makes us great”

I wanna go to the Pajama Jam Cotton Candy Pancake Parade! This was adorable. Gube delivered on his first children’s book and I hope he continues to write!
abby
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i needed this perfect little book at 5 and i need it now at 15 and i think i'll need it at 50...this just solidifies that matthew gray gubler is one of my favorite people on earth
Elizabeth
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That yank your heart feels when something finally understands you is what this book is guaranteed to gift you.
Angela
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Matthew gray gubler and I still watch criminal minds almost daily! Read this and felt so warm and fuzzy inside. Really cute and lighthearted picture book
Theresa
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Rumple is a weird little monster who has 5 teeths, 3 hairs, uneven feet and green skin. As a result he hides until he finds out that lots of other people are weird too.
Connie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully wholesome story by my favourite Criminal Minds actor about belonging and seeking acceptance, no matter your appearance, and how the flaws you see aren't always what others see when they look at you.

I love Rumple, and the quirky art style makes it a delight to read!
Aimee DeFrancesco
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Just the most precious. I love a weirdo. And Matthew Gray Gubler is just that.

P.S. A Jomny Sun / Rumple Buttercup cross-over would be spectacular
Mai
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though this book was not targeted at my specific age group, it was certainly one many should read. The author of this book is one of my favorite actors (Dr Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds) and the way he executed the book was creative and staggering, beautiful enough to captivate the patience of children while reading . It gave a message of acceptance and described how being different is normal. The plot and the images were both recherché in a positive way. In the book, Matthew Gray Gubler expl ...more
Jen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone is at least a little weird and learning how to embrace that can be difficult, but it can make life much more enjoyable, as Rumple Buttercup learns in Matthew Gray Gubler's Rumple Buttercup: A Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself.

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website: http://makinggoodstories.wordpress.com/.

Rumple Buttercup is weird. He doesn't look like the rest of the people in his town, so he hides his green skin, five teeth, three hairs, and slightly large
Jennifer Robb
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: younger readers
Recommended to Jennifer by: BookPage
I admit, I'm not the target audience for this book. It's more than a children's book but probably meant for younger than the teenager--though as an adult, I found it cute. I know of the author through the TV Series "Criminal Minds" where he plays a character who has his weirdness and comes to embrace it and even use it in his job. I'm not sure if that played into his creation of the character of Rumple Buttercup.

Rumple Buttercup lives below ground and is lonely. He thinks he's too weird to be li
Your Common House Bat
Oml, my mother is a big fan of Gubler so she bought this book and she basically shoved it into my arms and was like, "you have to read it! Just read it you can finish it in one night!" So I did and I must say that the story was kind of cute. It isn't something I would have read on my own but there were moments that made me smile and laugh. Rumple Buttercup is honestly one of the cutest things that I have read in a while and it was funny too. I loved the illustrations and I love how there was thi ...more
Olivia
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Rumple Buttercup is a super quick and fun read about acceptance and feeling like you belong. I have been a fan of Matthew Gray Gubler and his doodles for years, so I was expecting to enjoy his first book! And I did! It perfectly captured Matthew Gray Gubler’s individuality in both the character and the story. Rumple is a very precious character who you will love.

Younggins especially will enjoy the art and story of Rumple Buttercup since I they are the target audience. This book is a very short
Catherine Yezak
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Being a librarian and a teacher, I am always trying to find ways for the children I work with to accept their uniqueness. This book hit all the right spots! Rumple is a "weird" creature who is afraid of mingling with the people above his home in the sewer. Except for Pajama Pancake Day. Then he grabs a banana peel and mingles with people, thinking that they don't see him.

That is, until the day that he can't find a banana peel and can't go. He is surprised when the people up ab
Kelsey Joyous
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I follow Matthew Gray Gubler on Instagram, and the second I saw him post about doing the audio book for Rumple Buttercup...I flipped! I thought, what have missed in MGG's world??? Some research, chatting with friends, and a pre-order later I couldn't wait for this book. I thought to myself, "I hadn't considered him writing a book, but this is a brilliant plan!"

My initial thoughts weren't wrong. If you know anything about Matthew Gray Gubler, then you know he's a little bit weird, he's a little b
Lindsey
I'm a huge Matthew Gray Gubbler fan. I was first introduced to his stunning acting abilities on Criminal Minds and season after season I fell in love with him.....like majority of the fans of the show. Matthew has this weirdness about him but good weirdness that makes people want to get to know him and who he is.

Over the years of watching him on Criminal Minds I discovered his art abilities. He creates a whole new world with his drawings.

With this short story Matthew Gray Gubbler brings in a t
Louise
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i'm a huge fan of matthew gray gubler and his work of criminal minds, so i HAD to get this as soon as i heard he was releasing it!

although i am well past the target demographic, i am certain i would've really loved this book as a child. the message is very comforting to me even as an adult who often considered themselves "weird" and i'm glad gubler wants to share that message with kids.

the handrawn art style is so charming and you can definitely tell gubler put a lot of thought into rumple's des
Kelly
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute and very heart-warming.

Matthew Gray Gubler has such a unique art style. I've seen some of his illustrations on Twitter, and when I heard that he wrote and illustrated a book I was so excited to read it. I chose the perfect time to read it, too. After a particularly stressful day, this was exactly what I needed to cheer myself up.

The story was a sweet reminder to be yourself. Rather than hiding your individuality, you should embrace it. Because after all, showing everyone just ho
Matthew C Cunningham
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, heartfelt, a definite must-buy. Got this book for my son, and now pretty sure it's his favourite ever - The main character is lovable, the art is fun and cute, and the whole book is just full of so much heart you want to cry, then jump for joy.

The book sends a wonderful message - that it's ok to be yourself, even if you think you're a little different, because that's ok. Honestly, I think that's something a lot of us adults could stand to be reminded of as well, not just kids.

Please ge
Kylie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
LOVED IT!!! My parents pre-ordered it for me as a Christmas present. Y'all. When I say I have waited for April 2, I have WAITED. But in a good way😁, needless to say when I finally saw the UPS truck pull into my driveway, it did not disappoint. I've had the book for nearly 4 hours now and am in LOVE. I hope this book becomes a regular in every household. Sometimes we need to be reminded that we aren't alone, and everybody, no matter who they are, are different. We each have something unique about ...more
River
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so precious. It's sweet, funny, and it made me emotional.
It's always great for a child to learn that we are all different and special in our own way.
(Great for grown-ups to learn too!)
I think it is a must have for your children's book collection.

On the technical side: the illustrations are cute, it is easy to understand, it has a great message, and it has a kind of musicality, so it is perfect for reading aloud.

(I'm low-key hoping they start making plush Rumple Buttercup toys wit
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »