Start by marking “The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day” as Want to Read:
The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day

The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day

As in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, math and science inform this mind-bending mystery about a girl who must work with the laws of the universe and trust the love of her family if she is to set her world right.

It's the morning of Maisie's tenth birthday, and she can't wait to open her presents. Maisie is not a typical kid. What she wants most for her birthday are
Published April 9th 2019 by Delacorte Press (first published April 5th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day

Seema Rao
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intellectual ~ Compelling ~ Amusing

tl:dr: Logic is for girls (and everyone else)

Maisie Day is a smart, very smart girl. She out of step with her older sister, who gifts lay elsewhere, but she's pretty okay with that. This is a great middle-grade book that combines science with literature without feeling mass-produced or forced. I don't want to say much about the storyline, as I loved going into the book with only the reputation of the author in my head. But, think adventurous/ nerdy a la Doctor
Katy Noyes
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever logic-bending maths-heavy children's sci-fi... you don't say that very often!

I didn't know what I was in for, and even for much of this, I still didn't appreciate the astuteness of this. This really is a very intelligent science/maths story for children, and one bright children will relish.

Those who aren't keen on maths may lose interest early on, but if it hits a nerve, they are in for a cerebral treat with Maisie, the birthday girl in for a rough day...

Maisie is a very uncommon girl, ad
Nicola
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s, books-i-own
I got an arc in exchange for an honest review.

My full review will go up nearer to publication. I just need to tell everyone how wonderful Maisie Day is! I know i’m not the target audience, I had so much fun reading it though! I laughed, cried and learnt a lot about science along the way. It’s brilliantly written and I can’t recommend it enough!
Elizabeth Mellen
This was one of most anticipated books this month, and it did not let me down. This was cute, and surprisingly hard-hitting in a way that I was not quite ready for. Easy enough to follow that I think my 5 year old would like it as a read-aloud, but not monotonous or boring to read as an adult. It was compared to A Wrinkle in Time which I adored as a kid and tried to reread recently and had trouble getting into because I found Meg so darn annoying - Maisie was precocious like Meg, but I didn't fi ...more
Karen Barber
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maisie Day. Ten years old. Academically gifted, but frustrated by her parents’ determination to mollycoddle her. All she wants is to be like her big sister.
On the morning of her birthday Maisie wakes up and discovers she’s alone. There’s nothing outside her house. Dark matter starts to encroach on her space, and Maisie is left to work out what’s happened.
What follows is a pacy read, packed full of scientific information, with a character full of charm that you can’t help but develop a soft spot
Stephen Connor
Maisie is an academically gifted girl celebrating her tenth birthday - a party is being planned and she is looking forward to starting work on cold fusion.

The chapters alternate between what we perceive to be Maisie’s real world and some sort of alternative universe, a place where dark matter is swallowing everything around Maisie.

The chapters continue to go back and forth between Maisie’s reality and ‘other’ world, and then you’re hit with the truth - the final few chapters are brilliant. Sit
Rachel DuBois
I get why this book is highly praised as its highly original use of physics and unusual storyline is gripping. But I didn't actually *enjoy* the book, which is why I've only given it 3 stars.

Two reasons: 1) It has a very upsetting part of the plot which I can't talk about without giving too much away and 2) I was really, really bugged by a small scene where one of the characters faces sexual harassment and is forced to give in to it.

Post-#metoo, it's time we started rewriting the old narrative
Silea
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction, vine
Wow. VERY well written, an utterly absorbing page turner, BUT roughly the emotional equivalent of Old Yeller but the kid gets a kitten at the end.
Kirsty
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
The infinite lives of Maisie Day was a really lovely read which I enjoyed.

What I liked about it was that it had a young female lead and was completely focused around science and coding. There's not enough fiction focused on science that is female led and I loved it for that. The story is exciting from the outset with lots of twists and turns including time jumps and perfectly brilliant in that regard for keeping young readers engaged and excited from the outset.
Les McFarlane
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this! I adored Albie Bright and didn’t think this could hold up against it but, boy oh boy, it certainly did not disappoint.
It’s the morning of Maisie’s tenth birthday and the day starts with the alarm and the excitement of what lies ahead. Maisie thinks that aside from the presents, cards and party, now she is ten her sister lily might take her seriously.
Our little child genius has mastered so much knowledge-GCSEs, A levels, degrees - but struggles with relationships and, a
Mercedes
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a crazy little story! When we meet Masie, she's just woken up on the morning of her 10th birthday. However, the chapters alternate between two different realities....one where she's home with her Mom, Dad and sister Lily, and another where she's home alone in a place that LOOKS like her house, but seems to be in the middle of a black abyss.

This book would be perfect for children who enjoy science and the ways of the universe. Kids who have an interest in physics and alternate reali
Alyssa
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review
Great book to make you sob on a plane in front of strangers. A+ highly recommend. 👍
Abigail
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Infinite Lives Of Maisie Day is one of Christopher Edge's best books (which is pretty hard-he written loads of amazing books-actually, all of his books are the best :) .) It is the perfect book for lovers of sci-fi and infinity. Every chapter it changes from what would have happened if she hadn't done something and the other chapter what happened if she had done something. There should DEFINITELY be a SEQUEL to this book. Christopher Edge, you are the best sci-fi author ever!
Laura Noakes
This is a fabulously moving book which is ultimately about the relationship between sisters. Christopher Edge's trademark prose shines through in this beautiful, yet gripping, imagining of a universe which seems to be imploding. With an emotional kick that made me weep, and characters that are multi-layered and interestingly written, this book is a must read for everyone who likes middle grade fiction PARTICULARLY if science is your thing!
Nick Campbell
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The girl at the heart of Christopher Edge’s novel is ahead of her age: clever enough, at nine years old, to understand astrophysics, quantum mechanics and nuclear fission. She’s about to embark on an Open University course and (perhaps) even build a smallish nuclear reactor in her parents’ garage. This alone would be the premise for an entertaining novel, but mere pages into The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day, its heroine faces a mystery that seems beyond even her. It’s the morning of her tenth bi ...more
BooksForTopics
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day is a story like nothing I’ve ever read before, but I loved it from start to finish. If somebody had pitched to me a children’s book covering topics of entropy, relativity, black holes, the Möbius loop, Escher's art and virtual worlds in gaming, I may have laughed at the idea. Unless of course the book's author is Christopher Edge, who true to form has managed to accomplish it triumphantly as part of a wonderfully absorbing and emotional narrative that is as fanta ...more
Katie
Full review can be found here, but here's what you need to know:

Other reviewers mentioned that there’s an awful lot of science in this book, and I didn’t really take them seriously… but wow. There’s a TON of science in here–I mean that in terms of quantity, not density.

This is obviously what the book is going for– a riff on the major breakthroughs of the last 50/100 years in physics, seen through the eyes of a 10-year-old prodigy having the weirdest day. It’s a great idea, and some of it is exec
Ms. Yingling
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Maisie is excited to wake up on the morning of her tenth birthday, because she knows that her parents are throwing her a big party, complete with gazebo and lots of food, to make up for the fact that she has few friends. She's very bright, and taking Open University classes instead of going to the local primary school. This is okay with Maisie, but seems to irritate her fifteen year old sister, Lily, very much. In the first chapter, though, we are introduced to a very di
Pauline
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s difficult to image a junior fiction novel that includes Pythagorean theory, Einstein’s theory of relativity, Escher’s Impossible Staircase, Vantablack, Möbius strip, entropy and video games but Christopher Edge manages to include all these ideas into a fascinating thriller that also deals with family and sibling relationships. Maisie Day has turned ten and is an absolute genius. She passed her final school levels of maths at age 6 and is already studying a degree in physics and mathematics ...more
Lesley
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
“Pythagoras said that the number ten contained the key to understanding everything. So if this is true, being ten years old is going to be pretty cool.” (5)

It is Maisie’s tenth birthday. As she wakes up anticipating her breakfast pancakes, party, and presents, the day does not go as planned. First of all, her house is empty—no parents or annoying older sister Lily, and, when Maisie opens the front door, nothing is there. “Nothing at all.” (9).

Maisie is not used to not knowing the answers—or a wo
Barbara Band
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maisie is a child genius, being the youngest person to do her A levels and now studying for an OU degree in Maths and Physics. It is also her tenth birthday and she is looking forward to her party later.

When she wakes up in an empty house with no sign of anyone around she's confused. She can see the gazebo ready for her party in the garden but when she opens the front door she is confronted by a solid blackness that creeps in through the door and engulfs the kitchen. Scared and trapped in a pla
Jess Maree
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the featured books on our online library and after seeing all the 4 & 5 star reviews, I decided to try it out even though I don't generally pick up Children's books.

I read it all this morning, and it really was quite good. The story starts off the morning of Maisie's 10th birthday. Maisie is an intellectually gifted child, who is struggling with the relationship with her sister and missing out on typically things like going to school and having friends of her own.

The chapte
Lily
This is the second book I've read for the #primaryschoolbookclub on Twitter. It's a very quick read, fast-paced right from the start, and stuffed full of fascinating science, a wonderfully realistic sisterly relationship, everyday family issues, and some emotional bang.

The story is told in alternating chapters between two timelines that diverge from the point Maisie wakes up on her tenth birthday. In one timeline, Maisie's family have mysteriously disappeared and her house is behaving very stra
Pamela Scott

I wish this book was a couple of hundred pages longer. I loved it so much I didn’t want to leave the characters or the world. The book doesn’t have what you would normally think of time travel but something weird and floopy happens with time and the fabric of the universe so I’m counting it. I loved the way the book is structured with Maisie struggling to understand what’s happened to the world interwoven with flashbacks of what happened leading up to the
HP Saucerer
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely fascinating and yet unsettling blend of science and fiction. Big ideas on the nature of the universe and existence, black holes, infinity and virtual reality are boldly explored and brilliantly woven into an intriguing plot. The story flips between two alternate realities: Maisie's birthday in the ‘real’ world and a frankly quite disturbing birthday in a parallel reality, where Maisie is all alone in the house with a sinister blackness that threatens to engulf her home, and, Maisie ...more
Georgie
Wow. Sometimes its the little books (and characters) that pack the biggest punch.
On the day of her tenth birthday, Maisie wakes up, and finds that her world has become a very strange place. The house is entirely empty, her mum, dad, and older sister missing. Worse, outside is nothing but a dense, frightening blackness. As reality shifts and slides around her, Maisie (who is a maths/science genius) must rely on her knowledge of science, maths and the universe, and her love for her family, to sav
Maisie wakes up to find that everyone is gone, and the world is falling apart.

But she also wakes up to her 10th birthday, and everything is wonderful, and she is going to have a wonderful party.

So, there are two timelines going on, and Maisie has to work out what is going on, and how to fix it.

And while I agree with some of the other reviewers that using math and physics to solve the problems of this book, and to have Maise be 10 years old and female, and smart are all good points, the book nev
jess  (bibliophilicjester)
This was so unbelievably amazing. This sort of book makes me think I missed my calling - my memory sucks and I kind of hate math but I LOVE science. And scifi. I always forget who said it, hut I love the idea that everything is science fiction until it becomes science fact. I highlighted all the books the author used for research/inspiration in case I'm feeling massively nerdy and also in the mood for fascinated confusion.

I can't believe I randomly stumbled upon this browsing the new scifi rele
Helena
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maisie's tenth birthday.... or is it?

Maisie is a very gifted ten year-old - with GCSE's and A levels to her name. She is home-schooled, and as a result has no friends she can call her own. She is obsessed with science and hopes to create a nuclear reactor in her bedroom! Although the story flows - I did find that for me personally there was a lot of science and coding to digest, and this might put some readers off. For all the brilliant science buffs out there - brilliant!

The twist at the end i
Marco Giorgini
A really lovable novel - with a quite intriguing main character (the 10-years-old Maisie - who is a genius with a not equally gifted older sister, who loves her, and hates her somehow) and a complex plot with a lot of smart details. I have just found some part less thrilling than others and maybe I didn't like too much the (anyway perfect and clever) ending.
But I'd surely suggest everybody this Christopher Edge book also for its good rhythm and style.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Brightstorm
  • My Gym Teacher is an Alien Overlord (My Brother is a Superhero, #2)
  • Beetle Queen (The Battle of the Beetles #2)
  • Secrets of a Sun King