Start by marking “I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir” as Want to Read:
I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir

I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir

One part Mari Andrew, one part Marjane Satrapi, I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir is a triumphant tale of self-discovery, a celebration of a family's rich heritage, and a love letter to American immigrant freedom. Malaka Gharib's illustrations come alive with teenage antics and earnest questions about identity and culture, while providing thoughtful insight into ...more
Published April 30th 2019 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about I Was Their American Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Was Their American Dream

Start your review of I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir
David Schaafsma
NPR correspondent Malaka Gharib's graphic memoir about being mixed race. I work with a lot of students who similarly have mixed backgrounds, so this did not seem all that remarkable to me, but it was fine. She's the child of immigrants, a Catholic Filipino mother and a Muslim Egyptian father, grew up summering with Dad in Egypt, speaks both Tagalog and Arabic. Will appeal to folks who are similar mixed. A positive tale, maybe appealing to YA audiences more.
Rod Brown
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Gharib creates a cute and amusing graphic memoir about being the child of immigrants, a Catholic Filipino mother and a Muslim Egyptian father, as she tracks her transition from desiring assimilation into white American culture, to feelings of rejection, to finding her own identity by acknowledging, integrating and melding all the diverse cultures that went into the creation of the woman she is today. Fun with a side of inspiring.

One quirk: Due to a limited color palette, apparently half of all
mindful.librarian ☀️
Excellent graphic memoir about the author’s experiences as the American-born daughter of immigrant parents from the Philippines and Egypt. Highly recommend!
Bookishrealm
Update. Here's the full review: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....

Such an important memoir! It really looks at what it means to grow up in a multi-ethnic home. I loved that the author not only explored her own culture and up-brining, but also how living in America influenced thoughts that she had about herself and being a person of color. I’ll definitely be doing a full review on this so stay on the look out!
Louise
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Malaka Gharib approaches uncomfortable issues in this short biographical piece.

First she shows how her parents look to America for the things that they want from it including their perception of the "American Dream" for their daughter. They don't understand or value the social and cultural freedom Malaka (their daughter) needs to achieve their dream. For Malaka freedom requires leaving behind many elements of the past her parents they hold dear.

At school Malaka meets other first generation
Vivek Tejuja
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Malaka Gharib is Half-Filipino, Half-Egyptian, and born in the USA. This graphic memoir is about her life and her family on both sides. This memoir is also about identity, growing up in the US of A - being a part of the country and yet alienated. I know a lot of authors have written about this in some form or the other, however, I also believe that every book written in this sub-genre always sadly has something new to provide. The issue of racism, being a different skin colour, following a ...more
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK. MY LITTLE MEXICAN/ITALIAN/AMERICAN HEART! If you couldn't guess, I adore this graphic novel. And no, not just because I worked on it (which was awesome to do) but because it has so much gosh darn heart and smarts. Often when I work on books I get to see bits and pieces of either text, images, or whatever the project is at the time. Working on this, while measuring or just spot checking, I couldn't stop myself from reading. A page here and there started to turn into a chapter until I ...more
Maia
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read a sample of this book a few months ago on The Nib and knew I was going to enjoy it. Malaka Gharib draws in a loose, expressive style with a limited color palette that perfectly fits with this short but satisfying memoir. Gharib tells how each of her parents came to California as immigrants; her mother from the Philippians, her father from Egypt. When they married and had their daughter, they thought they were on the road to the American Dream. But the marriage didn't last, and Malaka ...more
Nadine
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! What a book about growing up in a cultural / religious / nationality diverse family and how your own and other people’s views of diversity change and differ according to context and time .
Nothing raunchy in the book but the identity complexity probably better for middle grade and up. A very special book. Next to New Kid my favourite MS GN for this year
Michelle
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a beautiful, honest, and sweet tribute to her egyptian-filipino-american family :’) everyone should read!!!!
Kelly
What a fabulous graphic memoir of growing up as the daughter of a Muslim-Egyptian father and Catholic-Filipino mother. Though they ultimately divorce and Malaka's father moves back to Egypt, both of their cultural and religious heritages influence Malaka's formative years. As she navigates an extremely diverse population in her California high school, Malaka finds herself obsessed with all things white -- and this book digs into how that influenced her future.

Insightful, funny, and full of
Kolumbina
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting graphic memoir (very sincere and funny in a quite a few places), really well written by Malaka Gharib, a young American woman with parents who immigrated from Filipins (mother) and Egypt (father). What a combination, Christian and Arab. The parents divorced, her father returned to Egypt and her mother brought her up, mortgaged their home to pay for Malaka's University... Still Malaka visited her father in Egypt every summer holiday, learned a lot of useful and entertaining ...more
Elizabeth A
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The author is a child of a Catholic Filipino mother and a Muslim Egyptian father.

Only in America! One of my fave things about this country is that it's not a punchline to a joke, but a thing that can happen here.

Representation matters, and this would be a powerful book for those who need one like it. This graphic memoir is about the joys and tribulations of being a mixed race/mixed religion child of immigrant parents. As it's written for a young adult audience, the comic gently explores some of
Megan O'Hara
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cute and sweet!
Harini
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this graphic novel. It was simply such a wonderful journey to take with Malaka Gharib. Her cartoon-ish illustrations were a delight-they both were playful and endearing as well as subtle in the ways in which they expressed nuance in emotions. I could sense the emotion, good, bad or ugly in the slight facial expressions, the gesticulations of the limbs, etc.

In many ways, storytelling can be heavy. It delves into personal history, trauma, struggle, and resistance. That's why I love it. But
☾ h a d e e r ☽
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was a cute graphic memoir about a half-Filipino, half-Egyptian girl growing up. It's very wholesome and adorable and hilarious, and as an Egyptian-American myself I really related to various aspects of this!

At first I thought I would loathe the art, which is kind of childish and cartoonish, but I think it fits the tone of the story really well. Plus, it's more complex than it seems at first glance; Gharib manages to convey little nuances of expression through tiny artistic details. It's
Dna
The story Gharib tells is an important one, but the graphics don’t lend themselves to the story. Simple line drawings and maybe 3 colours used throughout... I don’t know if the writer or the publishers are trying to make a point about race and colour by removing colours from the story. No clue. It’s mind-numbing and took me, what, 2-3 weeks to read? Graphic novels shouldn’t take that long. I’m giving this three stars, but really it’s a two star disappointment.
Laura Gardner
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this graphic memoir! (Bonus: Made me want to make zines w my students, too!)
Nicholas
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As another “whitewashed” Filipino American, who didn’t fit in with other Filipinos and the white people I thought were so cool, and who also went to Cerritos High School, Malaka Gharib’s graphic memoir I WAS THEIR AMERICAN DREAM really resonated with me. Things like: being called a Twinkie for being an Asian who liked “white people things” and struggling to identify with my family’s culture and somehow finding a way to make it feel like mine too.

Gharib shares her story in such a funny,
Bogi Takács
I liked it and wished it was longer. I appreciated the art - the bold choice of going with "American colors" worked for me and made the book pop - and also felt that the experimentation with format wasn't in-your-face but a seamless part of the whole. (The book has both a dress-up doll and a minizine. I thought that was cool :) )

I realized only after reading how much of a relief it was to read something focused on immigration to the US and parents, and not have it be about how embarrassed the
Nick Klagge
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I lol'd quite a bit and showed several funny parts to my partner before she had a chance to read it.

I thought Gharib did a great job mixing humor with more serious observations about growing up as a person of color in America. Her style sort of reminds me of Roz Chast, for a new generation.

As a white man married to a Filipina-American, several parts of the story rang a bell for me! I'm also proud to say that I knew 9 of 11 of the Tagalog flash card words in the book (and also, learned that
vanessa
I love reading immigrant stories and children-of-immigrant stories. The art in here was fun and the palette is mostly red, white, and blue. Learning about the author, who is of Filipino-Egyptian descent, is engaging. Mostly my favorite thing about this story is the author's love and interactions with her family - it's sweet and touching. There is some discussion about micro-aggressions and the question "Where are you FROM from?" and while her analysis of these interactions is good, the draw here ...more
Alexis Gervacio
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Renee
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-memoir
I Was Their American Dream is a graphic memoir about author Malaka Gharib’s experiences growing up as a Filipino-Egyptian-American. The book provided a really fresh look at what it’s like to navigate immigrant cultures and American culture, especially since Malaka is navigating three different heritages. The illustrations in the book are free handed and loose inked drawings, giving the book a fun and funky atmosphere, almost like reading a zine.
Sasha
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Anyhow this had very cute illustrations and I enjoyed learning about Malaka’s experience with her two cultures (Filipinx and Egyptian) and how her relationship to them shifted in different times of her life.
Patricia
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A perceptive and heartfelt memoir of growing up with multiple cultural heritages. The graphic format works well as the author communicates feelings of confusion, pride and love. I enjoyed and learned a lot from her in this book.
Sian Lile-Pastore
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the art work and the story was sweet and touching and lovely.
Jacqueline
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
how i feel after reading this —> ...more
Kim Yi Dionne
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story, beautifully written and illustrated. I wish I had this book growing up. Being hapa, so much of it resonated with my own experiences!
Emily
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and I loved the graphics! Very cool art.

• They Called Us Enemy
  • Hot Comb
  • Gender Queer
  • The American Dream? A Journey on Route 66 Discovering Dinosaur Statues, Muffler Man, and the Perfect Breakfast Burrito: a Graphic Memoir
  • Stargazing