Start by marking “The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters

The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters

The author of the Reese Witherspoon Book Club selection Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows follows her acclaimed America debut with this life-affirming, witty family drama—an Indian This Is Where I Leave You—about three Punjabi sisters embarking on a pilgrimage to their homeland to lay their mother to rest.

The British-born Punjabi Shergill sisters—Rajni, Jezmeen, and Shirin
Published April 30th 2019 by William Morrow

"I also want you to experience the familiararity of our ancestrial state. You girls are British, yes. But all the generations of our family before you lived in India. It is in your blood. The language, the food, the way things are. These things are not erased just because you grew up elsewhere."
Sisters: Rajni, Jezmeen, and Shirina have been tasked with completing a week pilgrimage to India on behalf of their mother who deeply wanted to go when she was alive. Their mother organized a list of
Berit☀️✨
beautifully told this story was bursting with culture, family dynamics, and love!

Balli Kuar Jaswal completely captivated me with this engaging story about these three dynamic sisters. I felt as though I was wisked away to India along with the Shergill Sisters. Jaswal’s writing is so descriptive, she made the characters and the setting pop off the pages. Seriously when I was done with this book I felt as though I knew these characters and had been on this pilgrimage with them. Some books you re
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maybe
Five amazing sisterhood of the traveling in saris stars ! Nameste! I found a real gem! A sweet, inspirational, heartwarming book !

I loved this kind of book no matter what’s your gender, nationality, religion, culture, race you have, it embraces you tightly and make you feel deeply for the characters! It doesn’t only serve to your mind, it does also feed your soul and empower your spirit.

Three sisters with different perspectives, life choices and characteristic qualities who barely stand each ot
Sahitya
After reading Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows and really enjoying it, I was so excited to receive the ARC for this one. This book turned out to be quite different from what I was expecting but it was nevertheless, a very interesting read.

Rajni is the eldest sister, a school principal who likes rules and everything to be in an orderly fashion. However, she was not always like this and things that happened in her past completely changed her attitude and now when things are again uncertain in her
Kate ☀️ Olson
(free review copy) Travel + sisters + some secrets to unravel = a captivating and heartwarming story! I loved Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows and enjoyed this one just as much.
Charlie
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not exactly the kind of novel I usually read. So, for what it's worth I had to do a fast read on this one. Fortunately, the story was well written and fairly easy to comprehend.
I loaned the book out to a female and she felt the same way. So, a rating of a 4 is justified.
I did win this book thru Goodreads.com and thankful for that.
Rebecca
While on her deathbed, Sita asks her three daughters, Rajni, Jezmeen, and Shirina, to make a pilgrimage to India together in order to honor her memory and scatter her ashes.

"There's no greater show of love and faith than traveling a long distance for somebody."

The sisters are busy with their own lives and not close, either spiritually or geographically, but still agree to make the trip together. While there, however, their agendas and interests differ, and they disagree about how closely they s
eyes.2c
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Luminous!

A journey undertaken by the British Punjabi sisters Rajni, Jezmeen, and Shirnia to scatter their mothers ashes in India becomes a pilgrimage towards love, understanding and acceptance, and a reworking of the bond that threads sisters together.
Three Sikh sisters reunite to meet their mother last request and in doing so uncover so much more.
A stunning story of family, that also uncovers practices and prevalent attitudes towards women, touching on inheritance, the bias against female babie
Sabreena - Books and Prosecco
The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters by Balli Kaur Jaswal

Stars: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Disclaimer: The amazing humans at HarperCollins Canada were kind enough to send me an arc of The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions below are my own.

“There’s no greater show of love and faith than traveling a long distance for somebody.”

I adored this book so much! It was so clearly written for Indian women, and the cultural details that Jaswal added in, made my little brown butt so happy!

This story starts with hea
MRIDULA
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
|4.5 stars|

Sometimes we come across a book that feels like a journey in itself. This is one such story. By the end of the book, the Shergill sisters felt like people I have always known. They felt real and all the 'adventures' they were a part of, I found myself alongside them.
Rajni, Jezmeen and Shirina, the three sisters who are poles apart by nature and have different kinds of crisis to deal with, are brought together by their mother. Their mother, while lying on her deathbed had one wish- th
Kate
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
For more of my book content check out instagram.com/bookalong

This is the story of three sisters who's mothers dying wish is for them to return journey to India to scatter her ashes. The sisters are not close and are quite different people. It's their mothers hope that this trip will bring them together. They all have chaos going on in their lives before they embark on their adventure and each have different expectations of how it should go.

I thought this was a cute and lighter read. I found
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
Thanks to the publisher, via Edelweiss, for an advance e-galley for honest review.

As a person with three sisters of my own, I can attest to the complicated nature of these relationships. You're different people who- like the three women in the book- have different experiences of the same family. You share some of the same DNA but you might not share secrets. And these women have secrets. Some are bigger and more life-changing than others, but all of them are travelling with the Shergill sisters.
Barb Martin
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The throbbing vegetables that played such an unforgettable role in Balli Kaur Jaswal's "Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows" don't have an encore in her second novel. Instead, we get a moving story about three estranged sisters fulfilling their mother's dying wish by traveling to India for a spiritual awakening and to scatter her ashes.

Things don't go as planned. Each of the sisters has a secret. Each carries the emotional baggage of growing up with a harried and superstitious mother after the sud
Ameema Saeed
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linda Smith
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the sisters to be annoying and the plot dragging.
Debbie
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a well written story about following a mother’s dying wish. She leaves a letter for them to follow on a pilgrimage to India to find their roots and rediscover themselves. The sisters are estranged and at odds with themselves and each other. This is a book about discovery and finding out how to live with yourself and the decisions you make. The author provides a vivid picture of India as she leads us along the journey with the sisters. #netgalley #theunlikelyadventuresoftheshergillsister ...more
Ellen
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story of three sisters, Rajni, Jezmeen and Shirina, making a pilgrimage outlined in detail by their dying mother as her last wish. The sisters have had their ups and downs, as all sisters do, but their trip to India shows us as much about their relationship and problems as the male dominated society in India, and the impact on women in Indian culture. I look forward to more from this author, and easily give five stars to this book. Thanks to Edelweiss for the advanced copy.
Mary
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solidly-written, heartwarming story of three sisters who go an a pilgrimage to India to fulfill their mother's last wish. Immersive in Indian customs and culture, this is a story of reconciling the past in order to heal and move forward. Very enjoyable read that stayed with me long after I put the book down.
Chella
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Balli Kaur Jaswal proves herself to be a captivating and extraordinary writer.

Full of authentic characters with rich histories, individual voices, relatable struggles, and controversial dilemmas, this book manages to be a family portrait, a mystery, a drama, a cultural exploration, and a comedy all at once. With the passing of pages, I alternately shed tears and laughed aloud, which, let me tell you, is no small thing.
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to get an ARC of this at ALA Midwinter! Got it the first day and started reading right away.

If you liked /Erotic stories for Punjabi widows/, you will like this, too. Some of the family dynamics (parents & adult kids, sisters, etc.) are similar, and of course the theme of immigrant parents and British-born children. If I were to describe this book, it would sound a lot like sort of general "women's fiction," so it will definitely appeal to readers of that genre. It also cont
Jill Meyer
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Supposedly, there are only ten basic plots in all of fiction and every book is just a variation of one - or more - plots. While I don't know if that's true, it seems likely enough to assign "a book/a plot". With Balli Kaur Jaswal's latest novel, "The Unlike;y Adventures of the Shergill Sisters", we have "fighting siblings/parent's death". Whether it covers all the bases in the book, it comes close enough.

The book is set in London, Melbourne, but mostly, India. The sisters - ages from mid-40's do
Athena
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

When I heard that Balli Kaur Jaswal was coming out with a new book, I almost lost my mind. Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows quickly became one of my favorite books of all time. I recommend it to almost everybody and I'm 90% certain that bonding over that book with an interviewer is what got me my new job. I digress. Hopes were high for her new book and I was NOT disappointed.

When Sita Shergill dies, her three daughters are given a letter, detailing a pilgrimage they must take through Ind
Jill
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
Shirina, Jezmeen and Rajni could not be more different. Ages apart from the eldest sister (Rajni) and a childhood fraught with fighting, their mother’s last dying wish is that they complete a pilgrimage through India together. Their itinerary, provided by their mother, is PACKED with “togetherness” and many religiously dictated stops, what could go wrong? Only everything!

I won’t spoil the plot, but this is my favorite book of 2019 so far! What their mother hoped for with her last dying wish and
Niki
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, fiction
Charming… once it finally gets going. I absolutely loved the author’s previous book, Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows – I read it two or three times! There is a similar formula at play here – a mystery, a search for self and community, and the beauty of female friendship. (Balli Kaur Jaswal is like the Indian version of Liane Moriarty, and all the more exciting for the added intrigue of Punjabi culture.) I was particularly excited for the travel aspect, as the Shergill sisters are British citiz ...more
Joan Happel
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an engaging story of three British born Punjabi sisters who travel together to India in order to fulfill the request of their recently deceased mother. As adults, Rajni, Jezmeen and Shirina have all followed different paths, moving away from the difficult relationship with their mother, and the often strained relationships with each other. Each sister is carrying her own secrets and slowly the past and the current secrets are revealed to the reader as well as the sisters.

This is a powerf
Falguni Kothari
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read Erotic Stories of Punjabi Widows for my book club last year, Jaswal's writing has become one of my favorite things. She has a way with world-building that not only throws you into the story from the first page, but you are invested in the characters immediately. You feel for them. You want them to be happy at the end. You WANT for them.
The Shergill sisters are a blast to hang around, and as I have a dozen or so cousin sisters who I'm close to, I completely understood the love-
JG
I would not be exaggerating when I say that I couldn't put this book and stayed up until 3 am reading it and it was a work night! That's how engrossed I was with the Shergill Sisters and their (mis)adventures in India honoring their mother's final wish. I love how this author made their journey come alive, how each sister's personality was differentiated and how they also are similar. Their growing up trying to reconcile living between two cultures whether they chose to or not was also so much i ...more
Jessica
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it

There were dramatic, heart-in-your-throat moments at the end of this book, but for the majority of it I was just thinking "why?" Why am I reading about these people? A pilgrimage to India is a story, yes, but it was mostly about character development and the characters didn't really develop. I wasn't connected to any of them.

It did suffer from high expectations because I loved the characters in Jaswal's previous book so much I preordered this one. Most of them were warm and inviting an
Asha
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters is the second book I’ve read from Balli Kaur Jaswal. This contemporary novel is a heartwarming story of three estranged sisters who go on a pilgrimage to India to fulfill their mother’s dying wish. Overall, this was a great read. The book started off slow, but started picking up momentum towards the middle. I love that the author was able to combine serious issues along with implementing the culture of India and adding some humor in some areas. I a ...more
Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows 1 7 Mar 29, 2018 10:08PM

• The Marriage Clock
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • Flame Tree Road
  • Odysseus Abroad
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • The Key to Happily Ever After
  • The Parisian
  • A Suitable Girl (A Suitable Boy, #2)
  • The Dreamer
  • La Bastarda
  • David Mogo, Godhunter
  • Take One Candle Light a Room
  • The B.T.C. Old-Fashioned Grocery Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from a Southern Revival
  • All Dressed in White (The Brides of Belgravia, #2)
  • John & George: The Dog Who Saved My Life
  • Gambling on a Scoundrel
  • In Spite of Lions
  • Mrs Ali's Road to Happiness
Balli Kaur Jaswal is the author of Inheritance (2013, 2016), a universal story of family, identity and belonging, and Sugarbread (2016), a story about fitting in and confronting the past (and a finalist for the 2015 Epigram Books Fiction Prize), both dealing with the Punjabi Sikh community in Singapore. Born in Singapore and raised in Japan, Russia and the Philippines, she studied creative writing ...more
“Please enjoy your health while you have it. Because once your body betrays you, no comfort in the world will make up for your loss.” 0 likes