Start by marking “I'm Worried” as Want to Read:
I'm Worried

I'm Worried

(I'm Bored! #3)

A girl, a flamingo, and a worried potato star in the third book in New York Times bestselling author Michael Ian Black and illustrator Debbie Ridpath Ohi’s series about feelings—and why they’re good, even when they feel bad.

Potato is worried. About everything.

Because anything might happen.

When he tells his friends, he expects them to comfort him by saying that everyth
Published June 4th 2019 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I'm Worried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Worried

Start your review of I'm Worried
Jon Nakapalau
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for a small child who is having issues with anxiety - and nice art!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Potato is worried. His friends, a girl and a flamingo, try to comfort him by sharing stories of times they suffered but healed. Flamingo and Potato cover themselves in bubble wrap but instead of protecting them, the bubble wrap only makes them hot. Finally, the three attempt to live in the now, and the story ends with everyone enjoying their time together.

We seem to live in times where everyone worries, even young children. This book should offer a valuable starting point for discuss
Valerie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, childrens
Loved this cute little book. Potato is worried and his friends try to help him figure out why. They explore a few times when Potato was worried and things worked out just fine. He realized that he was happy and didn't need to worry.

I think that this book came to me at a good time. My grandson has entered the phase of being worried about things. I took it over to read to him and he loved it. I hope that his parents can use the book to help him remember not to be worried about things so much. ...more
Andrea Doyon
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Using a young girl, a potato and a flamingo (an unlikely trio as any), Michael Ian Black tackles everyday anxiety at a level that's easy to understand for even our youngest children. We all know kids that start their sentences with "But what if...?" This book will be the perfect conversation starter for you to say "We just can't worry about that." I highly recommend this book for both parents and early childhood educators.
Amanda
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anything could happen! ANYTHING! OH. MY. GOODNESS!!! Just Panic RIGHT NOW!!! Clowns! Aliens! Monsters! Forgetting to get dressed and heading out the door...completely NAKED! Having to talk to strangers! Eating weird food!

What? You don't feel scared at all? Worried in the least? No? *sigh*

Good for you! You must live in the moment and celebrate the now! And as far as all of those other awful things.... They probably won't ever happen.
Emily
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Black's series featuring a potato, flamingo, and little girl! They humorously and reassuringly explore feelings like sadness, boredom, and, in this newest offering, worry. I appreciate how the characters address the fact that sometimes bad things do happen, but that worrying does not help.
Jason
This book is cute and has an important message but I think it would make a bigger impact were it to be performed. There are multiple voices so it might be challenging to do with two readers, but I'd like to try it.
Anthony
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Potato is worried about bad things that may happen. His friends try to convince him that since no one knows what can or will happen in the future, it's just best to enjoy the now.
Anna Len
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing can be better than a worried potato as the lead character. Throughout the book, flamingo and the potato share their worries. They then decide to wrap themselves in bubble wrap to stay safe, yet in the end, they learn that it is your thoughts that help ease your worries, not bubble wrap. This is a great SEL book to read in a k-5 classroom. It helps students stop and think about times that they felt worried about everything as the hear about potato's and flamingo's worries. It helps childr ...more
Baby Bookworm
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is I’m Worried, written by Michael Ian Black and illustrated by Debbie Ridpath Ohi, third in the pair’s series on dealing with complicated emotions.

Potato (yes, that is a sentient potato on the front cover) is worried. About everything, really; anything and everything could go wrong at any moment, and bad things can happen at any time. He shares his anxieties with his friends – a little girl and a flamingo
Tonja Drecker
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This odd trio—a potato, a flamingo, and a little girl—take a very worrisome worry and flip it upside down until worry disappears.

Potato is worried about...well, anything. Especially the future because bad things can happen. Flamingo agrees and begins to worry, too. The little girl, however, refuses to budge from reason. A fall from the table or evil peanut butter jars or dangerous accidents are possible. And this book takes a look at what to do with all of that worry.

The
Karen McKenna
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The little girl, potato, and flamingo are back with another lesson on feelings and how to accept them. My middle school students and my 4 year old son have loved the first two in this series. "I'm Worried" is such an important topic for all ages, and it is handled in a great way. My son was delighted by the bubble wrap, and the story opens doors for important conversations about how we don't know what the future holds but it doesn't help to worry about it.
I love the message of "enjoying the now
Sara Magnafichi
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Michael Ian Black does it again with his story, I'm Worried. His storytelling, along with Debbie Ridpath Ohi's illustrations show kids that it is important to live in the moment instead of worry about what "could" happen in the future. I am a huge fan of Ohi's illustrations. She is also an amazing person, who my class has been fortunate enough to skype with, and whom I have met a few times. This is a great story to guide a conversation with a child who struggles with the unknown, anxiety, or wor ...more
Mandy
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Children's Picture Book. A potato, a flamingo, and a young girl discuss worrying. This book acknowledges that bad things happen, but worrying about them only takes the enjoyment out of the present.

"Since we don't know what's going to happen in the future, maybe we should just enjoy the now."

Simple text with illustrations on a mostly white background. This book is a good book to use for social-emotional-learning and identifying what worry is, though some children will need
Jana
The world is becoming more and more stressful every day. Kids have so much to deal with and managing emotions can be tricky. This third in the humorous "I'm Bored" series has Potato stressed out because something bad might happen. Potato's worry causes Flamingo to worry. The little girl helps them remember that worrying doesn't help, because no one knows what's going to happen in the future. It's best to be happy in the present time. This is good advice for everyone, and the centerpiece of the p ...more
DB in Richmond
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for younger children -ages 3-7 depending upon the child - which tackles worrying. Worry is presented with wonderful, simple, "silly" artwork which presents ways to deal with worry that won't set off fear in children. I'm probably not wording this right - wait, that's just me worrying ;o) After each reading of this book (from our local library, yeah!), my grandchild and I had very interesting conversations about silly and real things one worries about - falling down and g ...more
Erin Buhr
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
I love this series. Emotions are discussed with such humor and brilliance. In this one, potato is worried. In the future anything can happen and this is terrifying to poor potato. His friends are quick to reassure their friend. The characters are as darling and unique as ever. Their conversations are pure perfection. A must read for any kiddo that is filled with worries and a great read aloud for anyone.
Billie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Potato worries about what bad things might happen. Flamingo is no help. It's up to Girl to tell Potato that everything will be okay. But she doesn't, because it may not. Instead, she reminds Potato that, no matter what, she and Flamingo will always be there to listen and to help when they can. This honest and funny look at anxiety is perfect for kids (or anyone) who sometimes worry too much about things that are beyond their control.
Rachel
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect book to read to any child - whether they have issues with anxiety or not. It could possibly help those who *don't* have anxious moments sympathize with friends who do, and could help those who suffer from anxiety with it's honest, straight forward answers and information.

The illustrations are adorable and the message is wonderful. A great kid's read!
Pam
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Potato, Flamingo and the little girl are back. This time Potato is worried about the future and bad things that could happen. Flamingo joins the worry party. The three think about past bad events and how they handled them.
Excellent message for young readers - no one can promise nothing bad will happen but living in the now and enjoying the present helps people cope.
Lorie Barber
My kids LOVED I’M WORRIED, a book that helps them grasp the idea of anxiety with humor. The characters learn that living in the now is where it’s at. The kids immediately asked for a third in the series and will be thrilled when I tell them that I’M HAPPY is on the horizon!!
I’M WORRIED is out in June!
Andrea
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great children's book that addresses living in the present to minimize worrying about the future. I had never read a book about a worried potato before! The illustrations might inspire similar drawing or writing projects with kids.
Alee Hofman
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Used it in a therapy session with one of my kiddos today. I like the ending with the bubble wrap... Great way to show that we are not in control at all times, despite our best efforts. 👏 oh and the strengths-based perspectives were great too!
Kaitlynne
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a cute little book. It has a nice little lesson that teaches you it's better not to worry about things that we can't control, and that we should all try and enjoy the here and now.
Meredith
Potato is worried about the future, which causes Flamingo to worry, too, but the little girl tries to convince them to focus on the present.

Potato: I'm worried ... [about] the future ... Because what if something BAD happens?"

Because of a bad past experience, Potato worries that something bad may happen in the future. Potato's fear causes Flamingo to recall a bad past experience, and he begins to worry as well. Their solution is to wrap themselves in bubble wrap to prevent future injuries, wh/>Potato:
Gretchen
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More and more students are coming to classes with worries and anxieties. Our society is breeding a high level of uneasiness among our youth. Some of it involves big worries like, where will I sleep tonight or will someone come home tonight. Other fears involve things like testing, friends, and expectations and while they may seem smaller to adults, they are just as big to the children who have these feelings. The book I'm Worried takes a very simple approach to a big problem. I see it as taking ...more
Barbra
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
When Potato starts to worry about the future, Flamingo starts to get anxious too. Girl reminds them of the bad things that have happened and that everything turned out okay in the end. They found solutions to their dilemmas then but they are not convinced and continue to be nervous. Girl points out that worrying doesn't help because no one knows what will happen. The best that they can do is enjoy the present.
Becky
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Kids that need help not to worry should benefit from this book. It's silly and simple while still seriously covering the topic of worrying. I really enjoy this series. Definitely recommended.

And let other authors take note that THIS is how you use different fonts and different font colors effectively. The differentiation lets characters speak without being on the page and without including 'said Potato.' And it's wonderful.
Cheriee Weichel
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
While there are some humorous aspects to this book, ultimately it's a serious book about dealing with anxiety. While I doubt anxious children will suddenly recover from their worrying after reading this book, it might help them realize they are not alone. What it does well is provide an opportunity for building empathy and understanding in others.
Angela
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I've followed Debbie's art twitter for a while so when I saw this I had to pick it up. Her cute and simple illustrations worked well with this text and I liked how the characters words each had a colour to go with their personalities. I'm a worrier myself so the lesson here is good for those children who worry a lot.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Big Boys Cry
  • How to Read a Book
  • Unicorn Day
  • High Five
Michael Ian Black (very famous) is a popular comedian who began his career with The State, a sketch comedy troupe he co-founded at New York University in 1988, which went on to have a successful run on MTV. He then co-created the Comedy Central television series "Viva Variety," a fake European variety show. From there, he appeared on several television shows before landing the role of Phil Stubbs, ...more

I'm Bored! (3 books)
  • I'm Bored
  • I'm Sad (I'm Bored, #2)