Start by marking “Hello, Crabby! (A Crabby Book #1)” as Want to Read:
Hello, Crabby! (A Crabby Book #1)

Hello, Crabby! (A Crabby Book #1)

Check out this hilarious early reader series from Geisel Award Honoree Jonathan Fenske!
Pick a book. Grow a Reader!

This series is part of Scholastic's early reader line, Acorn, aimed at children who are learning to read. With easy-to-read text, a short-story format, plenty of humor, and full-color artwork on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and
Published April 30th 2019 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Hello, Crabby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, Crabby!

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book about a crabby crab who just needs a friend to cheer him up!
Scottsdale Public Library
Crabby is a crab who truly lives up to his name! Since Plankton is forever trying to cheer him up and make him smile, without much success, there are some entertaining results. Beginning readers will love this early reader series that looks a lot like a graphic novel. - Jen K.
Becky
First sentence: Today is just another day at the beach.

Premise/plot: Hello, Crabby! is a new early reader series by Jonathan Fenske. There are several stories in this one: "The Beach" (which guest stars BARNACLE from Barnacle is Bored), "The Crabby Crab," "The Joke," and "The Cake." (The last three guest star PLANKTON from Plankton is Pushy.) The stories are delightfully silly. For example, in "The Beach," Barnacle is trying to warn his friend that a WAVE is coming. Crabby thinks tha
Michelle Nero
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Crabby is ... well, just crabby and Plankton does everything possible to shake that crabby out. Funny!
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crabby is a crab who truly lives up to his name! Since Plankton is forever trying to cheer him up and make him smile without much success,there are some entertaining results. Beginning readers will love this early reader series that looks a lot like a graphic novel.
Becky
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-readers, primary
The first early reader in the Acorn series by Scholastic. The characters are funny and the illustrations are expressive. Adults will enjoy reading this book to children.
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
These Acorn easy readers are GREAT! I especially love the character of Crabby. Fun.
Michelle Simpson
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-reader, animals
I am excited about this new Acorn series!
zapkode
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – I am always interested in finding beginner reader books. We have two little one’s that are going to be learning to read in a couple of years. The cover of this book is appealing. It has a Crab on it that looks kind of grumpy. The colors are bright, but not too bright that they are distracting.

Once you open up the book you’ll see the same very nice illustrations with a chat bubble/comic like style for the text. This style is extremely nice because it allows for easy to
RedPoppyReading
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Hello, Crabby!” (by @jonathanfenske) is part of a new-line of illustrated early readers, called Acorn. I am so excited for this line of books aimed at 4-7year olds, because I have a five-year-old who is just learning to read. Do you know someone who is always crabby, no matter how nice you are to them? That’s Crabby the Crab. Crabby always sees the negative and assumes the worst, while his friends try to cheer him up. This book is so funny and I can imagine reminding kids who are in a bad mood ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Hello, Crabby! By Jonathan Fenske. EARLY READER. Scholastic, APRIL 2019. $16(hb)/$5(pb). 978-1338281507

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Fenske tells four little stories with his well-acknowledged sarcasm and aplomb. Familiar characters from his previous pictures make appearances, helping children bridge the gap from picture book to graphic novel.

It’s hard to be crabby at Crabby’s scowling face. I am very curious how well stu
AMY
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
44 pages. Very funny graphic novel. Lots of humor in dialog and colorful illustrations. A crab is not happy and no one can make him happy. Nice twist at the end. I think kids will love this one. Highly recommended for Grades 2-4.
Jaymie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!!
MaryLibrarianOH
Crab likes being crabby and nothing can make him smile. Comic style layout that’s perfect for beginning readers. From advance reader copy.
Angie  Moore
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crab is so crabby he’s funny!
Ranay G
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Great play on words.
Suzanne
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
From the author of A Pig, A Fox, and A Box comes a very crabby character. Crabby is a crab who is grumpy, crotchety, and downright determined not to smile. No matter what the other characters say or do - even baking him a chocolate cake - Crabby remains consistently glum.

The book is full of jokes that readers can discover. Crabby says that something is fishy and a passing fish asks, “Is that a bad thing?” Crabby complains that Barnacle “is always hanging around.” For readers who are
Sarah T.
This was cute but not my favorite of the Acorn ready reader books. It's a good book to use with kids to show emotions and that it's okay to be yourself, but it kind of backtracks with that in that the friend makes Crabby, because his crabbiness is making the friend crazy. I like Crabby and I like how punny this book is. It's okay.
Jason
I enjoyed this and its sense of humor, but I wondered if it went on a little to long for the beginning reader crowd? Maybe if a parent were reading together with the child... Still, the series and the imprint both show promise.
Krissy Neddo
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kinders, preschool
Love the size and binding of these Acorn readers. This one is not as easy to read as others in the Acorn series. Just finished Do You Like my Bike and Crabby is a little harsh after that sweet story. The illustrations are what save this book. They are laugh out loud at some points.
emyrose8
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Written like a graphic novel (but really it's a beginning reader book), it's my favorite of the books that feature these sea creatures. There are cameos from plankton, clam, shrimp, and barnacle (from previous books by the author).
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beginning-reader
I have kids ask for "beginning" level graphic novels all the time. These are great, and hilarious! Poor shrimp is always so discouraged in his attempts to put crabby in a better mood. I love Fenske's other books, so this is no surprise.
Pam
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cildren's early reader. Crabby wants to be crabby, and Plankton wants him to be happy. 48 page book full of humor. Is Crabby bored? What does it take to get Crabby to smile? How about a joke? Or is it the cake that makes him happy?
Renee
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bur, early-readers-je
Love the author's sense of humor. Beginning reader book by the creator of A Pig, a Fox, and A Box which I like to recommend to fans of Elephant and Piggie when they want more of that series.
Morgan
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: early-readers
The future of early/beginning readers is here and it is Acorn.
Paul Delacruz
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny book for kids who love crabbing
Jesse
I love Fenske, but this one was a bit disappointing. It was missing his signature humor and shocking twists. Berry enjoyed the crabby crab, though. :)
Melanie Swider Wenz
This book is hilarious! Great new series for first graders especially!
Marcie
Crabby is so much like a curmugeonly old man that I can't imagine who wouldn't love him and his friends. I'd actually love to read this to the 5th graders along with chocolate cake.
Aliza Werner
Love the new Acorn series by Scholastic (early illustrated books). Great humor and characters.
Jonathan Fenske is the author and illustrator of the leveled readers Woodward and McTwee, Love Is in the Air, Guppy Up!, and A Pig, a Fox, and a Box, which was a 2016 Geisel Honor book. He is also the author of two picture books, Barnacle Is Bored and its follow-up, Plankton Is Pushy. Jonathan lives in South Carolina with his family.