Start by marking “The Key To The Chains” as Want to Read:
The Key To The Chains

The Key To The Chains

Jenna Slade: convicted of manslaughter and about to spend 10 years in jail for her crimes. But she won't give up the thing she calls freedom without a fight...

Peace Officer Kim West: a woman that loves the law and her God - and a woman that ensures that no prisoner ever escapes from her custody.

When the two women's shuttle is attacked by pirates, who will be the loser? Wh

Start your review of The Key To The Chains
Sarah Grace Grzy
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 14+ for violence and death
Recommended to Sarah Grace by: Allison Tebo
This was amazing! I am not a huge sci-fi person, but when my dear friend asked me to beta read for her, I jumped at the chance!

The characters are amazing; Slade, the rough and tumble criminal, who thinks God doesn't care. And West, a passionate follower of Jesus, with a deep compassion for others. I loved both of the characters' story arcs, especially Slade's. The gospel message was woven effortlessly throughout the story, and was actually a main part, which I liked, as opposed to just being a b
R.F. Gammon
This was a really heart-wrenching little short story. Very different from this author's other works, and I very much enjoyed it. Because sci-fi and Christian messages. Definitely recommend this powerful little book. :)
Angela Watts
One of the best short stories I've ever read. Fast paced, immediately intriguing, and the Biblical message... was so cool. And it dealt with a subject some Christians may cower and run from- but we forget God knows what He's doing. No sin, no darkness, nothing- can take Him off guard. So why should we let ourselves make the darkness impregnable- when GOD has already saved us.... all we must do is ask Him...
An amazing short story by Ms. Tebo, gave me something to think about.
Victoria Lynn
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This story was so good! The writing was fantastic and the moral so artfully woven throughout! It had me laughing and crying and I loved that the author was able to achieve that in only nine pages! AMAZING! Even if you aren't a fan of Sci-fi, you will probably enjoy this book!
Mary
"The Key to the Chains" is a phenomenal story that blew me away completely and most definitely remains quality upon re-reading. It's a brilliant showcase of the author's masterful skill in plot, theme, character, and so much more.

There are so many wonderful things packed into this story despite its relatively short length.

-The characterization is extraordinary, riveting, and intriguing. Slade and West are both incredibly vivid, complex, and real. They feel and seem like actual living people, and
Olivia
{2.5 stars}

A very powerful read! The message was great, and although it isn't my favorie type of genre, I found it intriguing and full of hope to the unbeliever. Sci-fi is totally not my thing, and I'm still not won over to it :P But I was still surprised that this was a little more realistic than others I've heard of.

Just a note: there is some violence and detail of blood.

Thanks for giving me a chance to read this, Allison!! :D
Perry
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This short packs a lot in. Only at the beginning did the spiritual conversation feel a little on the nose. BUT I totally get that it had to be pretty to-the-point because the overall length of the story doesn’t leave a lot of time for a slow build up. The best part is when the officer gets to exemplify what she’s been telling Jenna about. Very poignant, and it realistically gets Jenna’s attention.
Katelyn Buxton
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well coming into this, I really had no idea what to expect, and I ended up loving what I found. It’s a short, powerful story about God’s amazing grace in any situation, under any circumstances, and though I thought it might come across a little heavy-handed for a non-believer, it was truly inspired and I enjoyed it. There was quite a bit of blood mentioned, but I thought it added to the overall gravity and power of this story. Thank you, Tebo, for writing this little gem!
R.A.
Well, this wasn't my favourite - as it's a sci-fi short story, and I'm not a fan of those - but I did like the salvation message in the book! And poor West! But I'm glad Jenna learns!

I don't think I recommend this, but for those who'd like to know, there was some rather violent scenes throughout.
Gabriellyn
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little novella. Very poignant, beautifully written with a clear point. Well done, Allison!
S.G. Willoughby
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Between this and the Reluctant Godfather, I think I rather like this author. :) This was action-packed and fun... I liked the two characters a lot and the world building is impressive for a short story. The only thing I'd be wary of is the gore and blood... it was a bit much even for me, and that's saying something. Well, I'm off to read The Royal Masquerade!
Angie Thompson
I really enjoyed this story! The characters were believable, the message was great, and the sci-fi setting added another whole layer of interest!

The almost exclusive use of last names through most of the story gave it an almost detatched, clinical feel--sort of like a police drama (at least in my mind). I feel like a lot of stories wouldn't work with this style, but this one really did. Once the action started, I was definitely hooked and very curious how everything was going to turn out. And I
Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for violence
Best for Ages: 13-20

Read on Kindle Unlimited

Short stories can be hard to do well. This was one of the short stories that did a great job creating great characters and real tension in a short amount of time. Tebo should be commended.

I have to be honest and say the amount of violence, injuries, and blood was a bit much for my taste. However, they added to the authenticity and the impact of the story.

Both Slade and West were likable and understandable cha
Boundless
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My final rating is 3.5/5 stars, rounded up to 4 here on GR. I enjoyed the book, and would probably recommend it to my Christian friends, but did have some issues with the writing and story progression. Overall, this is one of the better self-published books I've read.
Pros:
- Biblically solid Christian message. +1 star = 1/5 stars.
- Interesting setting (futuristic / space opera). +0.5 stars = 1.5/5 stars.
- Since this is a self-published book on the Internet, I think it's great that there were very
m a r y l i z
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really good! I would have connected more emotionally if I hadn't been in the car with peppy Christmas music playing (ahem), but I still enjoyed it. The characters were nicely developed for such a short story, the message was VERY WELL-DONE, and the setting was interesting enough to make me want to know more.

Great short read with even greater themes!

3.5 stars!
Grace Morris
4.5 Stars! If only it was longer, because I loved it! =D

First of all, can I just say how beautiful the cover is? IT IS SO PRETTY!!!

This is a very precious sci-fi story. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. In a short amount of time we are given very in-depth characters. Jenna is incriminated for manslaughter, and West, an officer, is bringing Jenna to prison.

West is so caring (but not in the way you might think) and wonderful and I love how Jenna mistakes her to be reading love letters (bec
Becca
A hard-hitting short story, this has an entirely different flavor than Allison Tebo's other books. Apparently she is not bound to one genre or writing style. I read this six days before Christmas, and while this isn't a Christmas tale, it captures the essence of Christ's sacrificial love. It did more to put me in the "Christmas spirit" than listening to countless carols (maybe because I was doing algebra while listening to said carols?)
Mukta A
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A good, short read. The sci-fi theme felt a tad bit forced, but the characters and plot were well done. :)
Britt
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

Wish it had been longer. I would have enjoyed seeing more of this world. It was gripping and pulled me in fast.
KC
I’m atheist. I don’t believe in a god. And nothing can change that, not even good books.

Nonetheless, this was a beautifully crafted story with excellent writing and great characters. Slade reminded me of myself in ways, and the sci-fi setting was a nice touch I personally found appealing. My only complaint is that I wish the world had been explored more in depth, since it seemed to have a lot of potential when combined with religious subject matter.
E.F.B.
Despite being short, this was a powerful story and I enjoyed it very much. I look forward to reading whatever this versatile author has to offer in the future. :)
Rebel Rider
The story was well-written and had a good message. One thing readers should know is that the entire story is a message. There's not much outside the message to enjoy. As a message story, it works really well, but I would have preferred it to have a bit more story that wasn't just a message.
Abi  G
Jessi Roberts
Jun 26, 2019
Bethany
Jun 26, 2017

• Neverseen (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #4)
  • Baby Mine
  • Flashback (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #7)
  • Dead Silence
  • Nightfall (Keeper of the Lost Cities #6)
  • Lodestar (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #5)
  • Strange Planet
  • Romanov
  • Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)
  • Servant, Mercenary, Brother: A Collection of Dresden Jakobs Vignettes Vol. I
  • Everblaze (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #3)
  • Once Upon a Dime (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6)
  • Exile (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #2)
  • The Lady of the Vineyard  (Kees & Colliers, #2)
  • My Boyfriends' Dogs: The Tales of Adam and Eve and Shirley
  • Sentinel (The Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
Allison Tebo is a Christian writer committed to creating magical stories full of larger-than-life characters, a dash of grit, and plenty of laughs. She is the author of the Tales of Ambia, a series of romantic comedy retellings of popular fairy tales and her flash fiction and short stories have been published in Splickety, Spark, Inklings Press, Rogue Blades Entertainment, and Pole to Pole Publish ...more