Start by marking “Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)

Kingsbane

(Empirium #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  7,399 ratings  ·  1,333 reviews
Rielle Dardenne has been anointed Sun Queen, but her trials are far from over. The Gate keeping the angels at bay is falling. To repair it, Rielle must collect the seven hidden castings of the saints. Meanwhile, to help her prince and love Audric protect Celdaria, Rielle must spy on the angel Corien—but his promises of freedom and power may prove too tempting to resist.

Cen
Published May 21st 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Kingsbane, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hope
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  7,399 ratings  ·  1,333 reviews

Start your review of Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
Whitney Atkinson
this book somehow deserves the electric chair and 5 stars at the same time
jessica
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
im starting a petition to make it mandatory to release an entire series all at once. its cruel and unusual punishment to make a reader wait for the next installment, especially when its the final book to such an epic and addicting story!

i seriously cant get enough of this series. ‘furyborn’ was dark and moody and ‘kingsbane’ followed with its own secrets and seduction. this is everything the first book was and more. the characters are even more compelling, the world-building is even more intrica
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Just don’t even talk to me about this book right now!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Samantha
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it

I did not expect a cliffhanger ending, so be warned!

This sequel took on a much darker tone than book 1, and the women are being challenging continuously. Although the story itself tells you what’s supposed to happen in the future, it still manages to allow you to hold onto hope that maybe it won’t get that bad, even as things are going to shit around the characters. The villain origins this story has is unlike any other. I also adore that the main characters are both angry women, and
Jenn
Again, I am so sad to be giving another book in this series only 3 stars, but I just had so many issues with it and it was extremely hard for me to get through. I kept losing interest and didn't want to finish. Which is sad because I love the core idea of this trilogy. There's just so much going on that it really disrupts the flow of the book. Also, there will probably be spoilers of the first book.

In Furyborn we were introduced to Rielle and Eliana- two "Queens" who were somehow connected to e
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Thoughts to come!
chan ☆
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
kick me in the teeth, i'm ready for this fcking book ...more
Teresa
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOLY F*ING SHIT?!?!? IS THAT HOW LEGRAND IS GOING TO LEAVE ME HANGING FOR THE NEXT 1-2 YEARS?!?!!? IS SHE SERIOUS?!?!?!
I literally threw this book across the room when I ended it and then I proceeded to text my friend along the lines of "WHAT DID I JUST READ?! DID THAT REALLY HAPPEN?!?! HOW CAN I WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT BOOK?!?!"
I won't say anything else about this book cause spoiling things for others is the absolute worse...but you need to get this book AS SOON AS IT HITS THE SHELVES....I want eve
Lena
😱😱😱😱😱😱 I can't believe this!!!!
And now we're supposed to wait for a year?!??!?
alana ♡
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt
“We are more than what’s been done to us. We are more then our anger.”

Never in my life have I been so thoroughly betrayed by an author. This review is brought to you halfway from the grave because that’s how much this book hurt and there’s a good chance once Lightbringer comes out I will fully be six feet under after I finish it. If you haven’t read Claire Legrand’s Empirium Trilogy…what are you waiting for? But also, prepare yourself because this is truly one hell of ride.

What I Liked

👨‍👩‍👧‍
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Review also found at: https://danaandthebooks.com/2019/05/1...

Thanks so much Midas PR for a copy of both Furyborn and Kingsbane!

In a way I'm glad I missed reading Furyborn when it initially came out. It just means I got to read it and Kingsbane back to back. Unfortunately, now it means I have to wait an agonizingly long time for the third book.

So, what can I say about this wonderful book? Claire Legrand has a beautiful way with words. Every page is gorgeous. Every chapter meaningful. I loved i
Julie Zantopoulos
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"

First of all I am grateful to Sourcebooks Fire for giving me the opportunity to read this much awaited sequel!

I absolutely adored Furyborn and I could not wait to read Kingsbane!
When Kingsbane landed on my Kindle I think I screamed so loud that I awoke my neighbors.

Sadly I struggled with that story. As it gets many good reviews, I guess it’s a case of “it’s not you, it’s me” . I hope to help you decide if the book still could be your jam and will go with my likes and dislikes

Le

jo ⋆
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I THINK I DIED??

Update: read this 2 days ago but i can't stop thinking about it so i'm going to give it 5 stars
Christina - Recipe & a Read
Workin my way back, RTC!
Stacy
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No spoilers in this rapid review of Kingsbane. I liked most of the book and LOVED the ending, so I decided on 4.5 stars. I put this book down and picked it back up several times before I finished it. The crazy thing is, I was never bored. That wasn’t the problem, yet Legrand had to work hard to earn each star from me. If I had to sum Kingsbane up in one word, I would propose “overwhelming.” More about that in a bit.

Kingsbane continues the saga of Rielle and Eliana, a mother and daughter separate
Raquel Flockhart
ARC received thanks to a trade on Instagram.

“That she was ⁠. . . the foretold Sun Queen, the daughter of the Kingsbane and the Lightbringer. The Furyborn Child. She had many names, it seemed, and she had chosen none of them for herself.”

This has been a wild ride. I wasn’t sure what to expect about Kingsbane, but I can tell you that what I wasn’t expecting was that my feelings towards the characters would completely change. Although I liked both main characters in Furyborn, I had a clear pref

Joleen (starlightbooktales)
4.5 Stars

Claire Legrand has done it again, she has completely blown me out of the water. I feel destroyed and betrayed. Seriously, what a cliffhanger.

You know the kind of book that is both beautiful and heartbreaking? Yeah, that's how I would describe Kingsbane. It's been days since I have finished the book and I still can't get it out of my head. Claire Legrand is just ridiculously talented and cruel. I mean HOW ARE YOU GOING TO END THIS BOOK LIKE THAT!! With a cliffhanger that intense, I am 10
AJ
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! I hate when I’m affected by cliffhanger endings like this. I need the next book NOW!!

Simon? Really Simon? There must be more to it. I refuse to believe he’s betrayed Eliana in this way.

Harkan, oh poor Harkan. I’m furious that the author brought him back from the “dead” (or when we thought he was dead anyway) just to kill kill again. I cried and I’m sad and angry. He deserved better.

I hated Rielle in this book. I felt like she used Audric and I felt like she could’ve tried a little harder t
Clara (The Bookworm of Notre-Dame)
Review to come, but oh - my - god.

Review posted on my blog!

It’s going to be really hard to write a spoiler free review of a second book in a series, but I gladly accept the challenge because this book was everything and more.

I always wanted to read Furyborn but only did so last month. I knew it had great reviews but I never thought I would ever love it as much as I did. In a few words, let’s just say that this series is now my first real favourites of 2019. It has everything I love in fantasy a
Taasia ✨
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-anticipated
Excuse me?

What. Was. That. Ending.

SHDJDHDJDHSJ

3rd October, 2018:
How did I miss this cover reveal I'm screaming what am I doing.

Honestly, this red hurts my eyes and not in a good way? I have very mixed feelings on the cover (but am now starting to like it more and more) but I much prefer the first one? I have to admit, my expectations were ridiculously high after the beauty of Furyborn.

Also, there is an excerpt on EW. You're welcome.

July 20, 2018,
If this doesn't come out next year, I'm riotin
Aoife

Kingsbane is the second book in the Epirium Trilogy - a fantasy world with a prophecy about the rising of two queens. A Sun Queen - a woman who will bring peace and prosperity, and a Blood Queen - a queen with terrible power and brings death and destruction. Rielle believes she is the Sun Queen but her powers are still growing and she doesn't yet know where they will lead her. And she has evil angel Corien whispering in her head - and he's the only one who appears to truly understand he
Megan ❀
Edit after 3rd read: Literally how did I survive reading this TWICE without having the sequel to read immediately after. This book is pure agony. I love this book desperately.

EDIT: Why did I reread this. Why did I decide to suffer again. These books are so good I CANNOT

Original Review:

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SURVIVE A YEAR UNTIL THE SEQUEL AFTER THAT ENDING???

I loved this with my entire soul, oh my god.

But folks, this ain't YA. There's so much sex in this book. This trilogy is new adult, for sure.
☆ Anneli ☆
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2020, own
Kingsbane
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This book was chefs kisses. No but honestly, I couldn’t put it down at the end! Okay okay, I might have prioritized finishing this book over doing my assignments... I knooooow but I couldn’t stop myself! Now I have tons of work to do, but it was worth it! Also, that ending... I don’t even know what to say🤭
Nikki
Robin
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
↠ 5 stars

I find it funny that I am able to review this now that I’ve read it three times and can somehow distance myself from the ending. Not that I have at all come to terms with what happened (wtf Simon). I haven’t been this thoroughly wrecked by a book since reading The Wicked King so I’m glad there’s another book out there that can make me feel utterly devastated. Kingsbane, the second installment in the Empirium trilogy, delved into the inevitable end to Rielle’s story, while expanding on E
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
While this review is spoiler-free, if you haven't read Furyborn yet, I'd recommend not reading this review or book synopsis as both have spoilers for book 1.
"With the Fall of the Blood Queen, the magic that had once illuminated humanity's path to the empirium had vanished. And, somehow, Eliana had to find it again. Find it, and control it."
Friends, this was a wild ride of a sequel and if I am being honest took me days to formulate my thoughts on this book (I still don't think I did t
Leah
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hall-of-fame
Once upon a time, there was a great big Game of Thrones shaped hole in my heart. It was devastating and all-consuming, but it didn’t last long. Why, you ask? Because I devoured KINGSBANE, and I was made whole once more.

Full review at Write, Read, Repeat

I finished this book a few days ago but I needed time to get my thoughts in order, since my mind was blown. Legrand is a master story teller. Full stop. I can’t remember the last author I read who is as talented as she in writing dual POVs. You fi
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
Can it be May already please?? 😩
jesse📚
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

I didn't know what I was expecting but consider my expectations met.

This is it! We have another case of Before the Devil Breaks You here!

I'm aware of all the stuff I threw out in my review of Furyborn or if you're too lazy to read that: I kinda hated it.

But wow I can't even recall what I found so infuriating about the first book because this book is amazing.

The pacing is kind of slower in some parts but it was exciting nonetheless. It's the kind of plot that doesn't really go super fast but

• A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • A Touch of Ruin (Hades & Persephone, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • A Vow So Bold and Deadly (Cursebreakers, #3)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
Claire Legrand used to be a musician until she realized she couldn’t stop thinking about the stories in her head. Now she is a librarian and New York Times bestselling author living in central New Jersey.

Her first novel is THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS, one of the New York Public Library’s 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing in 2012. She is also the author of THE YEAR OF SHADOWS, a ghost st

Empirium (3 books)
  • Furyborn (Empirium, #1)
  • Lightbringer (Empirium, #3)

Articles featuring this book