Start by marking “Along the Silk Road” as Want to Read:
Along the Silk Road

Along the Silk Road (Asian Art & Culture Series #6)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This richly illustrated, lively book is keynoted by Yo-Yo Ma's candid insights into contemporary music and the Silk Road routes of Asia. Other contributors explore the Silk Road in their roles as archaeologists, photographers, scientists and film critics. Illustrations.
Published May 1st 2002 by University of Washington Press (first published March 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Along the Silk Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Along the Silk Road

Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is somewhere between a travelogue and history. The first chapter covers the author's inspiration to pursue this venture and engages the readers with a lot of philosophical discussions on history, culture, people, traditions and the need to preserve them.

The second chapter is a short travelogue of the author's effort to track down the folk music and dance of the past. It starts in the begining of the historic silk road in china and he finishes with contemporary music of islamic communit
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I gave this 4 stars because it was my lack of attention that I picked the book from the library, I did a brief search, saw the name of the editor, not YoYo Ma, and I didn't have time to scan in the book before I checked it out. It accomplishes what it meant to, so I assume it's very good for what it is but I didn't care for it, but I have to admit that I did learn a few things and the books it referred to are very good. It seems to have mainly been written for two goals, one is to provide a brie ...more
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-and-design
This is volume 6 of a series presented by the Smithsonian Institute on Asian Art and History.
The text was both informative, brief and easily consumed, however, considering that it is a book on Asian Art and Design, the focus was more on the text than on the images.
For a book of this type I expected it to be picture heavy and it was more a walk through guide than a work of note.
I dropped a few stars for that failing.

Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Fesh look at a complicated topic.
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A melody~
Gypsy Novela
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
great look into the life of this beautiful ancient people, rich in history. great pictures!
Dec 26, 2016
Feb 20, 2017
Apr 25, 2017
Jul 10, 2017
Sep 06, 2017
Yo-Yo Ma (simplified Chinese: 马友友; traditional Chinese: 馬友友; pinyin: Mǎ Yǒuyǒu; born October 7, 1955) is a French-born American cellist, virtuoso, orchestral composer of Chinese descent, and winner of multiple Grammy Awards, the National Medal of Arts in 2001 and the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2011.
He is one of the most famous cellists of the modern age.
More about Yo-Yo Ma...

Asian Art & Culture Series (6 books)
  • The Confusion Era: Art And Culture Of Japan During The Allied Occupation, 1945 1952
  • Love in Asian Art and Culture