Start by marking “Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1

Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1

(とんがり帽子のアトリエ / Witch Hat Atelier #1)

A TOUCH OF MAGIC

In a world where everyone takes wonders like magic spells and dragons for granted, Coco is a girl with a simple dream: She wants to be a witch. But everybody knows magicians are born, not made, and Coco was not born with a gift for magic. Resigned to her un-magical life, Coco is about to give up on her dream to become a witch…until the day she meets Qifrey,
Published April 2nd 2019 by Kodansha Comics (first published January 23rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Lisa K I've only read book one, so I don't know if it gets darker or more menacing. We put it in YA at our library. It's a great story for any young reader (…moreI've only read book one, so I don't know if it gets darker or more menacing. We put it in YA at our library. It's a great story for any young reader (11 or 12 an up?) who likes magic. (less)

Start your review of Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
I can't remember the last time i read a manga in which the talent of the artist was so apparent. I really think Kamome Shirahama is one of the most talented mangaka I've ever read.

Untitled3

The story of this first volume is pretty simple: a girl wants to be a witch in a world where, she believes, people have to be born with magic powers, and she wasn't. Nothing extraordinary; nonetheless, the sheer ability of the artist with her pen is what made this book a work of art.

Untitled2

I love the two main characters, and
David Schaafsma
Thanks to the rave review from Lauren, and this has to be one of the best new manga I have read in the last couple years, the story of Coco, a girl who wants badly to be a witch. But as everyone knows, you have to be born a witch and can't just become one. Still, one day she finds a spell book, copies some spells and the magic gets a tad out of control. But (cute) Qifrey (another witch) takes her on as one of her apprentice to help her learn. Oh! So maybe there's a loophole witches maybe didn't ...more
Sam Quixote
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Coco, the daughter of the village seamstress, dreams of being a witch. And she gets her chance at being one after a mysterious figure at a fair sells her a magic book and wand. Except she doesn’t know what she’s doing and accidentally transforms her mother into a statue! Luckily, a good witch – Qifrey – is nearby to save her from herself and decides to take her in as one of his students at his atelier. Coco must study magic to pass the Four Trials of the Librarians, gain access to the Tower of T ...more
Mir
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, fantasy
1st impression: Wow, these color plates are wonderful!
2nd impression: Oh, the black and white illustration is really good, too, although a bit too influenced by anime motion.
3rd impression: Fun fantasy plot...
4th impression: although the regular-kid-goes-to-magic-school, has mean antagonist roommate thing is kinda generic.
Final impression: well drawn, not as original as I hoped, interested in the larger arc and will continue reading.

(the backstory)
Lauren
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
6 stars!

My favourite new manga series! I am IN LOVE! <3

Just by reading the blurb I knew Witch Hat Atelier was going to be a unique and fascinating manga which would leave me feeling utterly spellbound.

The story follows a girl named Coco who purchases a spell book from a mysterious figure and begins to copy the spells she finds in it. However, the magic she unleashes is potentially dangerous and a chance encounter with Qifrey (the witch) sees her being taken on as one of his apprentices to learn
Candice
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, manga, 2018
Coco is me. I am coco.
This is way too cute and beautiful.
scar
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, manga
so lovely. the art was just the prettiest. the cast of characters was so vibrant and endearing, i loved all of them immediately. i adored the idea of just drawing magic, so creative and beautiful. i'll absolutely be reading more as soon as possible.
Rod Brown
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice art and an intriguing mythology with drawing and calligraphy as the basis of witchcraft is pulled down a little by low-key pacing and pretty cliched set-up, as an unlikely candidate stumbles into becoming a clumsy magician's apprentice (Mickey Mouse) but has the potential to be the savior of the world (Neo) if only she can cope with the hazing from her grumpy roommate/fellow apprentice/nemesis (Dr. Strange/Baron Mordo).

I'll definitely pick up the next volume when it comes into the library.
Justine
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, manga
4.5

FR
Très bonne relecture, j'ai hâte de lire la suite !

EN
Really good reread!

I really like the setting, the universe, and Coco really makes me laugh! I love the magic system, the hierarchy, and the characters surrounding Coco. I also like the mystery that settles there, and it's quite a torture to end this volume on (view spoiler)

Can't wait to read the sequel!
Lata
3.5 stars. Interesting ideas at work in this story. There is a cool way to make magic, a magical apprenticeship, a shadowy figure seemingly at odds with the regular witch establishment, and a really great protagonist in Coco, witch wannabe and assistant to a dressmaker. There are mysteries, rivalries, burgeoning friendships....I can see why some might compare it to Harry Potter, though I don’t think it is an apt comparison.
Witch Hat Atelier volume one is fun, fast, and the artwork is beautiful.
Karina
Rating: 5 Stars ★★★★★
Witch Hat Atelier vol. 1 is one of my favorite manga debuts of the year!! Its AMAZING (´▽`ʃƪ) 💕The beautiful writing, captivating illustrations, stories, & messages all came together so wonderfully

Coco lives in a world of magic, but can't weild it herself. But after magician Qifrey visits town and shares what he knows--she decides to give it a try (using a magical book of spells she was given as a kid). Now when her spell goes wrong, she becomes Qifrey's apprentice at his At
Helena
this was so cute!!! but it looks like it's going to turn really dark at some point and I'm ready
Romie
this was SO lovely! Coco is such an interesting little character, and the amount of love she has for magic is just so adorable! I simply cannot wait to pick up the second volume and learn more about this world!
Michael Finocchiaro
I got this one as another attempt to chide my son who loves manga to read in English. It is sort of your typical younger style of drawing with westernized characters, almost entirely pre-pubescent children and a blond protagonist, Coco. The story is relatively pedestrian: girl fascinated by magic but has no powers, girl meets magician (tall, handsome, cool sunglasses, great hat and cape). Catastrophic event occurs possibly killing Coco’s mother. Coco discovers a magic secret. She is whisked away ...more
amanda
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another sweet manga review 🙂

I follow this awesome user on twitter by the name of https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle who talks about a lot of cool mangas that he reads. He posted about this one a few days ago and it looked enchanting by the pictures he provided and I just knew that I had to read it.

To my utter delight and surprise the first volume is available on Kindle Unlimited! It was fate, kismet, destined to be. And now the review of a witch, magic, and cursed spell books.

Coco is a simple g
Nelson
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This manga is perfection. Very solid writing and translation, and the art is beautiful beyond words. Fun characters, whimsical yet grounded magic system, creative panel layouts, and just the right amount of comfy. Looks like the tone is gonna change next volume, so I'm excited to see what happens and how the mangaka handles the darker themes she's hinted at.
Rajkumar Pagey
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book at first glance reminds us of The Worst Witch and a bit of 'chosen one' spice being hinted.

A typical story of a new-comer in a witch school. The story has been told hundreds of times before, but that's what you get from picking up a book with a Witch in the title. You were bound to land on one of the stereotypes.

But why I loved this book, was the magic system. Till now, it is really well defined. And even better, it is a drawn magic system. I love drawn magic systems! The Warded Man
Victor The Reader
Magic is a wonderful thing to do, but it’s not easy to handle. A little girl named Coco, who is the focus of this series, has a strong passion to learn magic but unfortunately is not born with the ability to do so. After spying on a male witch and attempting to copy his spell, it shockingly leads to her mother becoming a statue. This tragedy will unexpected become an opportunity for Coco as she will study hard to become the witch’s apprentice and hopefully save her mother. Whimsical and astoundi ...more
Keenan (The Nerdy Scholar)
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-read
As my first manga this was the best introduction I could have ever hoped for. I can't wait to continue with this series and with more manga.
KaitLphere
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-comics
Beautiful illustrated with an intriguing story in a fascinating world. I want more!
Danielle (always_read_the_end_first)

This is so cute and magical I love it.
Ellen
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Cute, but I'm not completely sure I care enough to continue the series. It's a tame manga, so this would be good upper elementary and middle school kids who want to enter the world of manga beyond Pokemon.
David
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Witches, Young men who collect little girls (no, really, it's fine)
I have never been much into the "magical girl" genre, but Volume 1 was free to borrow on Comixology, so I decided to give it a try. And it's quite a delightful read, with really nice art. The artist is truly talented, not just "professional level" like most manga artists, but every page is gorgeous.

Witch Hat Atelier

The premise is simple - this is a pseudo-medieval Europe-landia fantasy world where witches are real, and the custodians of magic. "Witches" here means "wizards" since it refers to both men and women.
Karissa
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in the Witch Hat Altier series, which has 6 volumes right now with a 7th volume expected later in 2020. I borrowed this book from the library.

Story (5/5): Coco desperately wants to learn magic and become a witch but she’s been told you can only be born a witch. Then Qifrey arrives and Coco finds out that everything she knew to be true might be a lie. I absolutely loved this story so far. It’s positive and upbeat with a lot of interesting magic. I enjoye
Milliebot
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it
This was very cute. I'd almost prefer to see it as an animated movie so I could really see the movement of the magic. It'd be lovely in color too. I at least plan to read the next two volumes.
Adriana
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Impressive! The art, plot, writing, all of it is so fantastic! I can easily see this being an anime series. I'm thrilled to have found a manga I can get invested in.
Selena
This is a fascinating little manga. The art lends a fairy tale feel a'la The Girl from the Other Side to a world of magic that feels like it wandered out of the fantasy series I grew up with.

This first volume, despite the amount of world building and magic information that gets thrown at us, moves at a decent pace and doesn't get bogged down in the details the way a lot of magic-system heavy series can be. It's part fish-out-of-water, part magic school, and there's an undercurrent of something m
Mary Catelli
A manga work

A little girl is living with her widowed mother and dreaming of being a witch -- even though she knows that witches are born that way.

One day, because customers arrived in a pegasus carriage and her mother is helping them, she helps a strange man and tells him of the day a woman in the city had sold her a picture book about magic. Shortly thereafter, he's revealed as a witch, Qifery, and he works some magic, and so she learns the secret is to draw the spells.

She uses the book, and di
Dubzor
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really cute. Very much feels like a Miyazaki movie. Wholesome, whimsical, and with a neat magic system to boot!
DonutKnow
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it

• Magus of the Library, Vol. 1
  • 圕の大魔術師 2 [Toshokan no Daimajutsushi 2] (Magus of the Library, #2)
  • Beyond the Clouds, tome 1 (Beyond the Clouds, #1)
  • SPY×FAMILY 1 (Spy x Family, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 2 [Yakusoku no Neverland 2]
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • 約束のネバーランド 3 [Yakusoku no Neverland 3]
  • Drifting Dragons, Vol. 1
  • Nicola Traveling Around the Demons' World, Vol. 2
  • 極主夫道, Vol. 1 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • Beyond the Clouds, Tome 2
  • 圕の大魔術師 3 [Toshokan no Daimajutsushi 3] (Magus of the Library, #3)
  • 約束のネバーランド 5 [Yakusoku no Neverland 5]
  • 約束のネバーランド 4 [Yakusoku no Neverland 4]
  • SPY×FAMILY 2 (Spy x Family, #2)
  • 約束のネバーランド 8 [Yakusoku no Neverland 8]
  • 約束のネバーランド 6 [Yakusoku no Neverland 6]
  • 空挺ドラゴンズ 2 [Kuutei Dragons 2] (Drifting Dragons, #2)
Kamome SHIRAGAMA (白浜 鴎) is a Japanese manga artist. ...more

とんがり帽子のアトリエ / Witch Hat Atelier (8 books)
  • Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 2
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 3 [Tongari bōshi no Atelier 3]
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 4 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 4] (Witch Hat Atelier, #4)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 5 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 5] (Witch Hat Atelier, #5)
  • Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 6