Start by marking “Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1

Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1

(とんがり帽子のアトリエ / Witch Hat Atelier #1)

A beautifully-illustrated story about a girl who longs for magic in her life and learns that, on the inside, she already is what she wishes she could be. Reminiscent of Studio Ghibli, this lushly-drawn story was voted one of the top 10 manga of the year in 2018 by the Japanese manga industry.

In a world where everyone takes wonders like magic spells and dragons
Published April 2nd 2019 by Kodansha Comics (first published January 23rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1

Start your review of Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1
David Schaafsma
Thanks to the rave review from Lauren, and this has to be one of the best new manga I have read in the last couple years, the story of Coco, a girl who wants badly to be a witch. But as everyone knows, you have to be born a witch and can't just become one. Still, one day she finds a spell book, copies some spells and the magic gets a tad out of control. But (cute) Qifrey (another witch) takes her on as one of her apprentice to help her learn. Oh! So maybe there's a loophole witches maybe didn't ...more
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
I can't remember the last time i read a manga in which the talent of the artist was so apparent. I really think Kamome Shirahama is one of the most talented mangaka I've ever read.

Untitled3

The story of this first volume is pretty simple: a girl wants to be a witch in a world where, she believes, people have to be born with magic powers, and she wasn't. Nothing extraordinary; nonetheless, the sheer ability of the artist with her pen is what made this book a work of art.

Untitled3

Untitled2

I love the two main characters, and I found it a wholesome, whimsical read. I finally understand why so many people are talking about this. recommended to every Studio Ghibli fan and for everyone who prioritizes the artwork when enjoying a manga.

Untitled
Sam Quixote
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Coco, the daughter of the village seamstress, dreams of being a witch. And she gets her chance at being one after a mysterious figure at a fair sells her a magic book and wand. Except she doesn’t know what she’s doing and accidentally transforms her mother into a statue! Luckily, a good witch – Qifrey – is nearby to save her from herself and decides to take her in as one of his students at his atelier. Coco must study magic to pass the Four Trials of the Librarians, gain access to the Tower of T ...more
Mir
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, fantasy
1st impression: Wow, these color plates are wonderful!
2nd impression: Oh, the black and white illustration is really good, too, although a bit too influenced by anime motion.
3rd impression: Fun fantasy plot...
4th impression: although the regular-kid-goes-to-magic-school, has mean antagonist roommate thing is kinda generic.
Final impression: well drawn, not as original as I hoped, interested in the larger arc and will continue reading.

(the backstory)
Lauren
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
6 stars!

My favourite new manga series! I am IN LOVE! <3

Just by reading the blurb I knew Witch Hat Atelier was going to be a unique and fascinating manga which would leave me feeling utterly spellbound.

The story follows a girl named Coco who purchases a spell book from a mysterious figure and begins to copy the spells she finds in it. However, the magic she unleashes is potentially dangerous and a chance encounter with Qifrey (the witch) sees her being taken on as one
Candice
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, manga, 2018
Coco is me. I am coco.
This is way too cute and beautiful.
Karina
Rating: 5 Stars ★★★★★
Witch Hat Atelier vol. 1 is one of my favorite manga debuts of the year!! Its AMAZING (▽`ʃƪ) 💕The beautiful writing, captivating illustrations, stories, & messages all came together so wonderfully

Coco lives in a world of magic, but can't weild it herself. But after magician Qifrey visits town and shares what he knows--she decides to give it a try (using a magical book of spells she was given as a kid). Now when her spell goes wrong, she becomes Qifrey's
Rod Brown
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice art and an intriguing mythology with drawing and calligraphy as the basis of witchcraft is pulled down a little by low-key pacing and pretty cliched set-up, as an unlikely candidate stumbles into becoming a clumsy magician's apprentice (Mickey Mouse) but has the potential to be the savior of the world (Neo) if only she can cope with the hazing from her grumpy roommate/fellow apprentice/nemesis (Dr. Strange/Baron Mordo).

I'll definitely pick up the next volume when it comes into t
Helena Summers
this was so cute!!! but it looks like it's going to turn really dark at some point and I'm ready
Miquel Rodriguez
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Cute, interesting magic system and very tender drawings. Can't wait to read how evolves.
Keenan (The Cosmere Scholar)
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As my first manga this was the best introduction I could have ever hoped for. I can't wait to continue with this series and with more manga.
Kait
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-comics
Beautiful illustrated with an intriguing story in a fascinating world. I want more!
Adriana
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Impressive! The art, plot, writing, all of it is so fantastic! I can easily see this being an anime series. I'm thrilled to have found a manga I can get invested in.
ailén
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud so many times. This was the perfect light and fun read I needed today.
I can't wait to read the next volume!
Natalie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite manga debut this year so far!

Coco has grown up being completely facinated by magic and the witches who use it. All she has ever wanted is to be a witch but she knows witches are born, not taught. At least that is what she believes until she spies on a witch preparing a charm and realizes that her dream may not be as far out of reach as she thought. But a once hopeful Coco turns desperate as her early attempts at magic goes amiss and someone she holds dear is caught in its midst.

Fro/>Coco
Selena
This is a fascinating little manga. The art lends a fairy tale feel a'la The Girl from the Other Side to a world of magic that feels like it wandered out of the fantasy series I grew up with.

This first volume, despite the amount of world building and magic information that gets thrown at us, moves at a decent pace and doesn't get bogged down in the details the way a lot of magic-system heavy series can be. It's part fish-out-of-water, part magic school, and there's an undercurrent of som
Dubzor
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really cute. Very much feels like a Miyazaki movie. Wholesome, whimsical, and with a neat magic system to boot!
Miranda
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-manga, library
A mix of CLAMP and Miyazaki that's beautifully drawn with a sweet storyline.
Matt Miles
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful, fun, and exciting start to what would seem to be an entertaining new series. The art as magic concept works as metaphor, a glorious world-building detail, and based on the stunning visuals in the book itself, a reality. Strongly recommended for all ages.
Bintasama
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
So magic, beautiful and sweet and I already hate a character 😉
Mélanie D.
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the prettiest manga I've ever read!
The characters are cute and I'm interested in seeing where the story is going.
Groovy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a lot more charming than I expected, it's got an aesthetic I appreciate more than Harry Potter's aesthetic, too
Justine
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, manga
Cute and fairytale-like! I'll read the sequel with pleasure!
David Boughton
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hold on to your witch hats!
Witch Hat Atelier has got to be the most fun manga I've read yet, and one that I highly recommend.
Without giving too much away, we begin our story with Coco, a young seamstress assisting her mother, and an uber-fan of all things magical. When a witch named Qifrey passes through town, Coco ends up uncovering the truth of how magic is cast. Suffice to say, things go very wrong. Qifrey then has no choice but to take young Coco under his wing so she can learn t
K. O'Bibliophile
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, bravo to whoever is composing all the back-cover synopses of this series in rhyming verse. It's charming and sets the tone for the series.

Based on the cover and what little I knew about the series, I was expecting something more light-hearted, more lightweight. But what I got is a good, solid fantasy that looks like it's not gonna be afraid to get dark.

The first volume really gives us a lot of story, more than I was expecting--Coco (who seems to be about 11 or 12?
Dakota Morgan
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Witch Hat Atelier is a gorgeous, fascinating introduction to a new fantasy world. Witches cast spells via a specific system of artwork using specialized inks. Great concept! Magic is also hidden from the larger population due to humanity's propensity to abuse "forbidden" magics. Young Coco accidentally uncovers some of these forbidden magics, so naturally she has to be trained. She's a charming, sometimes annoying character in true manga tradition. Many scenes consist of her melting down in awkward dis ...more
Tabor
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
Officially one of my new favorite mangas. Witch Hat Atelier is about Coco, a young girl, who desperately wants to become a witch. However as you know, witches are born not taught. When the witch Qifrey arrives at her house and has to fix a flying carriage, Coco can’t help herself and watches him perform the magic. She learns that magic isn’t recited but instead drawn and excited by this news, she takes out her pen and magic book that she bought a long time ago to experiment. This ends in tragedy ...more
Kimberly
This was so much fun! The story surrounds a little girl who is very interested in magic, but doesn't know how to become a witch, or if it's even possible. Sounds like me when I was a kid! Witchcraft, casting spells, mysterious places and people, what more could I ask for on this dull, damp day! Now I have to go out and buy the next in this series.
kerrycat
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
4.5

this reminds me a lot of Howl's Moving Castle, in the tone and art style - very pretty, with excellent detail, especially when it comes to expressions and movement. there is something about it that reminds me of Ancient Magus' Bride as well, I think the look of Agott calls Ruth to mind, although the two characters are very very different.
Theresa
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually liked this a lot more than I thought I would! Magic/witchcraft fantasy really isn't one of my preferred genres (but I do loooove Harry Potter, don't get me wrong), but Witch Hat Atelier has such a sweet story and a rich background that isn't too complex or too simple.

Plus, the artwork is g o r g e o u s.

I'm looking forward to reading more of this series!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
101 Books To Read: L'Atelier des Sorciers T01, Kamome Shirahama 6 96 May 12, 2019 10:01AM

• Magus of the Library, Vol. 1
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • Beyond the Clouds, tome 1 (Beyond the Clouds, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 3 [Yakusoku no Neverland 3]
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 1 [Shimanami Tasogare 1]
  • 約束のネバーランド 2 [Yakusoku no Neverland 2]
  • 約束のネバーランド 4 [Yakusoku no Neverland 4]
  • O Maidens in Your Savage Season 1
  • 怪しことがたり 1 (Ayashi kotogatari, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 5 [Yakusoku no Neverland 5]
  • Beyond the Clouds - Tome 2
  • 約束のネバーランド 6 [Yakusoku no Neverland 6]
  • 約束のネバーランド 7 [Yakusoku no Neverland 7]
  • 不滅のあなたへ 9 [Fumetsu no Anata e 9] (To Your Eternity, #9)
  • 圕の大魔術師 2 [Toshokan no Daimajutsushi 2] (Magus of the Library, #2)
  • The Wize Wize Beasts of the Wizarding Wizdoms
  • Ashes Falling for The Sky 2
  • BEASTARS 1 (Beastars, #1)

とんがり帽子のアトリエ / Witch Hat Atelier (7 books)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 2 特装版
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 3 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 3] (Witch Hat Atelier, #3)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 4 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 4] (Witch Hat Atelier, #4)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 5 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 5] (Witch Hat Atelier, #5)
  • FCBD Witch Hat Atelier 1
  • Witch Hat Atelier (Issues) (2 Book Series)