Start by marking “Mind Beyond Death” as Want to Read:
Mind Beyond Death

Mind Beyond Death

Mind Beyond Death is an indispensable guidebook through the journey of life and death. Using humorous analogies and his profound understanding of the Western mind, Dzogchen Ponlop makes the mysterious Tibetan teachings on the bardos--the intervals between waking and sleep, between life and death, and beyond--completely available to the modern reader. Drawing on a ...more
Published March 15th 2007 by Snow Lion

To ask other readers questions about Mind Beyond Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Beyond Death

Start your review of Mind Beyond Death
Bruce
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I admit there is a problem where Dharma books get super high star ratings. That said, Mind Beyond Death seems to me now head and shoulders above other books I have given 5 stars.

This book was recommended to me by Jill Purce who is a western expert in such matters, along with Luminous Emptiness by Freemantle. The Freemantle book I find fluffy and am still dragging my way through, where Mind Beyond Death I would open at random and be uttterly consumed by the clarity and brilliance of the
Ceci
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A monumental tribute to the subject of Impermanence. The most comprehensive book out there on the subject of bardo, transitions, and the death process, from the view of the Tibetan Buddhist Vajrayana tradition. There is a chart in this book that catalogues the stages of dissolution, among other amazements. And the section on Dream Yoga is extraordinary, even life-altering. Anyone who will die someday should read this book.
Kaitlyn
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read during a long retreat during which teachings on the bardos were given. This is a practical, accessible approach to the Tibetan Book of the Dead.
John
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
very accessible dharma. begins with excellent overview, then goes into very detailed explanation of bardo states and how to prepare for them and what to do when you're in them. this may sound weird, but i thought this book was neat.
Larry
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
This is a clear articulation of the Bardos and is a great companion read to any and all translations of the Tibetan Book of the Dead or of Living and Dying depending on the translator.
Julia
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book describing the Buddhist path from birth, old age to death and beyond. Ponlop Rinpoche is an accomplished teacher, who obviously understands the nature of mind and can describe that in terms that western student can grasp. One of the best works on the bardo experience and the stages of death.
Peyton Stafford
Snow Lion cited this book in their Dharma quote of the week, as follows. Given my mother's circumstances, the passing of my father and of my brother, and everything else going on in my life as a book person in a digital world, I feel I need to read this book.

Dharma Quote of the Week

The bardo* of this life does not last forever. We know that, like a guest in a hotel, our mind is only temporarily sheltered in this body. As we face the challenges of this life and the impending challenges of the
Pat Rolston
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a seminal work by any measure in capturing the very esoteric Bardo journey. I thoroughly enjoyed Sogyal Rinpoche's classic "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying," but was completely flummoxed by his Bardo state portion. That is widely read and I would suppose similar confusion is common and that is where "Mind Beyond Death," excels in bringing a combination of practical and academic teaching to the
death and life journey. It is stunning in it's detail regarding the actual experiential
Sergio Ledward
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cada momento, ¡Este momento! una oportunidad para la iluminación. Ponlop Rinpoche nos muestra compasiva y generosamente el viaje de la mente más allá de la muerte y nos brinda una guía para deshacernos de la insatisfacción y del miedo en cada momento. ¡Muchas gracias!
Lawrence Manzo
May 05, 2009 rated it liked it
A good introduction in to the baroque world of Tibetan afterlife teaching. It casts light on their science of cosciousness and the various conscious states (bardos). This is the only ancient religion I am aware of that practices Lucid Dreaming as a preparation for dealing with the afterlife.
Dave Padilla
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The teachings are so profound yet accessible.
Justin
Mar 29, 2018 added it
Not for me
Glenn
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-books
One of the finest dharma books ever. Death is not just that end of the road thing, but happens constantly. Rinpoche is the Buddha
Brad
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful explanation of some of the most difficult to understand Dharma concepts, including the bardos of living and "between" lives.
Jack
Kevin Allen
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mahamudra: How to Discover Our True Nature
  • The Royal Seal of Mahamudra: Volume One: A Guidebook for the Realization of Coemergence
  • Psychotherapy Grounded in the Feminine Principle
  • Wandering: What a Monk Can Teach You About Living from Nearly Dying
  • Essential Wholeness: Integral Psychotherapy, Spiritual Awakening, and the Enneagram
  • A Tale for the Time Being
Karma Sungrap Ngedon Tenpa Gyaltsen was enthroned as the Seventh Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche by Rangjung Yeshe Dorje, Gyalwang Karmapa XVI, in 1968. A former Tibetan Buddhist monk, he remains a lay teacher in the Karma Kagyu lineage as well as the Nyingma tradition.

A graduate of Karma Shri Nalanda Institute for Higher Buddhist Studies (the monastic college at Rumtek) and Columbia University in New
“Even in our own lives, there are times when we want something so much that we cannot let go of the thought of it. Whether that is an object, a person or a state of mind, whatever it is, we long for it, but it remains out of reach. Then, at the very point where we totally give up and let go of it, we get what we have been wishing for.” 4 likes
“When we begin to genuinely appreciate the illusory, dreamlike nature of our waking experiences, we are starting to mix those appearances with the appearances of our nighttime dreams. We are bringing those two states closer together.” 2 likes