Start by marking “The Hand That Holds Me (Forever Mine #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hand That Holds Me (Forever Mine #1)

The Hand That Holds Me

(Forever Mine #1)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
You often meet your fate on the road you took to avoid it—French Proverb
Recent college graduate Maddie Johnson has lived a life of love surrounded by her adoptive family yet has always felt lost and abandoned. Isolated from her past, she is fearful of allowing herself to be vulnerable and has kept men at arms’ length.
Until Lucas Walters.
Making her a job offer that seems t
Published July 31st 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Hand That Holds Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hand That Holds Me

Paula
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a safe & sweet story about a girl who believed that her father rejected her & her mom when she was younger. When her mom dies, Maddie goes to live with a family friend who adopts her. After graduating from college at the age of 21, Maddie's Dad, Jason, hires Lucas (the Hero) to search for her and reunite them.

Lucas was a one-night stand only kind of guy, but when he saw Maddie's picture, he fell instantly in love on site and realized that she was his "one".

There's not much backbo
Lisa Kolb
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On my Goodness!!!! This book touched on so many emotions! I cried, I laughed, I cried again, it's a beautiful book!!!! Lucas and Maddie's story, so freaking good!! Love at first sight for one, trouble trusting for the other and then their is the life altering secret!!! Will it destroy them?? Tears, tears and more tears!!!! Beautifully written, I can't wait for more from H.J. Marshall! I wish it was possible to give more than 5 stars!!!!
JoRead
I'll start by saying the story wasn't bad. The premise was intriguing and it was interesting to a point. The thing is that I don't think this author is for me. The characters seemed too constricted, the dialogue was stifled, the narrative was contrived, and there were lots of telling and not enough showing. Too harsh? Perhaps I am and understand I'm not trying to diss the author's work, but like I said, it's just not for me.
Jennifer Pierson
If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have know that The Hand That Holds Me was H.J. Marshall's first story, as I was hooked from the very beginning, and didn't put it down until the last word was read. See, Maddie Johnson has grown up thinking that her father didn't want her, and even though she had an adoptive family who loved her as their own, she always felt abandoned anyway. So it's made her gun shy of relationships, and she refuses to let any man get close to her except as frien ...more
Amanda Clardy
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy stories that touch on every emotion, then this is the perfect book for you! I was hooked on Maddie and Lucus from the very beginning. You learn fairly early, that both Maddie and Lucus have experienced the pain of loosing a loved one. It is because of the connection of the character’s families they eventually meet.

Growing up, Maddie believes her biological father, Jason, never wanted her. She struggles to let anyone, other than her adopted family, close to her and shuts her heart a
Annissia
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the story of Maddie and Lucas. I was afraid that his love for her wouldn't be explained enough. Like how can you automatically love someone you don't know. But H.J. explains and makes you understand to where it doesn't come across all stalkery or out of the blue. It was basically fate. You think Maddie is one of those wishy washy female characters that doesn't listen and runs away but again you would be wrong. She has reasons to act the way she does and she even stops to think and ...more
Erin
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maddie discovers the ghosts of her past are quickly catching up with her as she takes on new risks. She desperately needs the answers to live a life without the chains that binds her to the choices that have been made for her.
Does she have enough faith in her friends family to confront the past?

Lucas is set out on a path to help his mentor. Is there such a thing for redemption after a lifetime regret? Can Lucas save Maddie and his love for her or will the past tear them apart. Can the man she
Shannon Stuckey
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hand That Holds Me was such an incredible story of love at first sight and fate bringing past and future together. I absolutely loved this book and am finding it hard to believe that this is actually H.J. Marshall's first published book. The chemistry and love of Maddie and Lucas is unbelievable and I could not get enough of their story. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this amazing author.
Shannon Stuckey
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurye Divers
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story..a wonderful romantic first book from H.J. Marshall💜Maddie and Lucas have the kind of love that is all encompassing and passionate and the ending was just what I wanted to happen with them! Maddie's childhood trauma will make you cry for her but in the end you understand why it happened and you'll cry for a different reason..a happy one! Can't wait to read Caroline and Josh's books next!
Karina Giblin
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My heart is full after reading this book. It however, did not start out that way.
There were parts that almost had me in tears and wanting to scream at the book... but luckily it ended on a high.

Great characters and storyline, drama throughout, deceit, NO CHEATING- all pluses in my book.

I am interested to find out what happened to Maddie and Lucas later, please tell me there is more to come! I feel like I need a little more.
Heather Whitaker
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to say this is a second chance story. Not second chance love story, but a second chance love story about family. Maddie has grown up always believing her father did not want her. Unbeknownst to her that is not the case. Enter Lucas the man who has found Maddie, and he restored her faith in love and family. This one pulled at my heartstrings. The author did an AMAZING job telling this story and interweaving all the characters.
Rose
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hand That Holds Me is book 1 in The Forever Mine Series by a new author for me, H.J. Marshall. This is the story of college graduate Maddie Johnson & sexy bachelor Lucas Walters and take place in Columbus, Georgia. Author H.J. Marshall did an amazing job writing this love at first sight romance. The chemistry between Maddie and Lucas was sizzling!! I absolutely love this book. I can’t wait for the next book in this series!!
Clare
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book for an honest review. This is the first book I’ve read by H.J. Marshall. This was a good book. Maddie is a very likable character with a couple of really likable friends. Lucas was also a likable character. I really liked how he looked out for her. I also really liked her family, and I can’t wait to figure out what is going on with Maddie’s best friend, Caroline.
Cassie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Maddie and Lucas's instalove was written perfectly. I knew from the beginning that there would be rough waters given that Lucas was keeping something secret for now but it turned out so sweet at the end. I feel terrible for Maddie's biological father. I really hope he finds a happy ending for himself.
Wendy Livingstone
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I cannot believe that this is a debut novel from this talented author, and what an amazing job she has done. This is the story of Maddie and Lucas who are in love at first sight. This is a beautifully written story, which had me captivated throughout. This is the 1st book in a series, and I cannot wait to read more of this authors’ work!
Keisha Cook
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book draws you in from the beginning. It is a fast pace love story, but it's not the typical love stories that you read. While she does find her soul mate, she also reconnects with someone from her past. Dont worry it's not that kind of story. There's no cheating or love triangles. I guess if you really want to know, you have to read it!
Anu
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is sweet, happy, almost drama free love story. Not really for me, there were few things I would have wanted to know more about. But if you're looking insta love and happy story this is for you.

Would Lucas be my book boyfiend? Maybe not (view spoiler)
Jennifer Bradshaw
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was really worth reading. It made me believe in true love again. Lucas never stopped pursuing Maddie. He saw her picture and realized she was the love of his life. He wanted to help her put the pieces of her life back together. I love reading new authors and this was well worth the wait. I cannot wait to read Caroline and Andrew's story.
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog

Reviewed by: Clare M.
Courtney Turner
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read, two people from completely different world collide. This book is full of secrets, secrets that can destroy everything. Especially when trust doesn’t come easy. They will have to fight for each other and their HEA.
Kelly
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book

This was moving story of loss, forgiveness and love. The love story of Maddie and Lucas was beautifully written. The path to forgiveness between Maddie and Jason was told with warmth and grace. Overall a really good book I would recommend to all my friends.
Michele
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love t

This s was the first time I read that s author and she didn't let me down. I enjoyed her story telling and the way the story flowed .The chemistry between Maddie and Lucas was out for of this world. Can't wait to read more !
Samantha Beson
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
H.J. Marshall blew it out of the park!! WOW! Such an incredible story that takes your emotions on one amazing ride. Love at first sight with chemistry off the charts. So different but in a very good way. Cannot wait to read more from this author! Must Read!!!!
Mona williams
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was amazing story! he sees her picture and it love at first site. he meets her in person and now he wants to make her his. only hes keeping some secrets from her that could destroy them. plus she doesnt do relationships. you must read to find out what happens.
Beth Power
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This book is awesome. I did not want to put it down until I was finished. I hope there will be a second one to find out what happens next in there lives.
Tracy
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Great characters...good storyline...the love at first site didnt make me swoon but all in all good story
Andrea
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

What an amazing story! Lucas was perfect for Maddie. How he helped her and how they fell in love instantly. It is a must read.
Sally Schrumpf Kindle
Maddie and Lucas

Nice storyline. Love the friendships of Maddie and Caroline and Josh.
There were a ton of typos that can distract from the reading!
Marianne W.
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute love story

This is a cute love story that has some fun references to today's media, and convoluted pasta. This book is recommended, and is a good read.
H.J. Marshall began her love of reading and writing at an early age and has always dreamed of being a writer full time. Moving frequently while growing up has given H.J. many different perspectives of life, community, and culture, resulting in a lifelong love of food, music, and history. After years of Retail and Non-Profit Management, H.J. decided to take a leap of faith and began to write the st ...more