Start by marking “Changeling (Six Stories, #3)” as Want to Read:
Changeling (Six Stories, #3)

Changeling

(Six Stories #3)

On Christmas Eve in 1988, seven-year-old Alfie Marsden vanished in the Wentshire Forest Pass, when a burst tyre forced his father, Sorrel, to stop the car. Leaving the car to summon the emergency services, Sorrel returned to find his son gone. No trace of the child, nor his remains, have ever been found. Alfie Marsden was declared officially dead in 1995.
Elusive online jou

Published November 15th 2018 by ORENDA BOOKS

To ask other readers questions about Changeling, please sign up.
James It can be but I would recommend reading the other two first. Quite apart from the fact that they are all very good, while they are self contained tale…moreIt can be but I would recommend reading the other two first. Quite apart from the fact that they are all very good, while they are self contained tales, the narrator Scott King's character arc develops across the three books.(less)

Start your review of Changeling (Six Stories, #3)
Michelle
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-own
1988 - Christmas Eve

Sorrel Marsden and his 7 year old son Alfie are driving home when an engine noise forces them to pull over. While Sorrel is checking the engine it appears little Alfie disappears into Wentshire Forest Pass. He has never been seen again and is declared officially deceased in 1995.

Scott King is back with his pod cast to interview 6 different people that knew Sorrel and Alfie personally. With their help he hopes to solve the puzzle of Alfie's disappearance.

Wentshire Forest is a
Blair
Matt Wesolowski's Six Stories books have become something of a winter tradition for me. Ever since I read Six Stories on Christmas Eve two years ago, I have been hungry for more – I love the format, the tone, the storytelling – and Wesolowski has delivered with a new book in the series two years running. I really enjoyed Hydra in 2017, and now there's Changeling. It's just as addictive as the others and incredibly creepy at times, yet it also tells a very important, sensitively researche ...more
Liz Barnsley
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Insanity!! And that's just me....

Brilliant. Scary as all hell. Horrific. Wonderful. Did I say brilliant?

Don't read this when it's dark. No. Seriously. Trust me.

Review will be forthcoming later on the official tour.
Eva
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloody hell! Like, seriously! WHAT?! I said it last time and I’ll say it again, Matt Wesolowski’s books are just impossible to review! My vocabulary doesn’t stretch far enough to find the words to describe the sheer level of awesomeness this author comes up with time and time again.

If you’re not familiar with the Six Stories series (OMG WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!), it’s centred around a true crime podcast in which Scott King investigates cold cases. This time around, the focus is on seven
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“We’re beneath different trees this series, but our feet are sounding against the same darkness and once again we’re facing our fears head-on.”

If ever a quote summed up the experience of reading Matt Wesolowski’s books, this chiller from Changeling is perfect.

I had been dying to read Changeling ever since I saw the beautiful cover on Twitter a few months back, and let’s face it, being a superfan means I have literally NO PATIENCE when it comes to waiting for these things. So huge thanks to both
Amy
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
Just in case you’ve missed me completely raving about this series in the past, here are my thoughts on Six Stories and Hydra. Changeling is the third book and while they can all be read as standalones, you really and truly do not want to miss any of them. They’re all so amazing and innovative, completely unlike anything else I’ve read before and they all come highly recommended by me. AND, they get better with each book, they honestly do and this one? I was utterly blown away in the end.

Scott Ki
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
This review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Sometimes with a book you just know within the first few pages that you are in for an exceptional read and Changeling is one such book. In short, I fucking loved this book and I fucking love this series! The Six Stories series deserves to be read, Changeling deserves to be a hit and Wesolowski deserves to be a huge name.

The first Six Stories was a fantastic debut and a deliciously dark tale.
Abbie | ab_reads
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read Matt Wesolowski’s eponymous first book in the Six Stories series earlier this year and was THOROUGHLY impressed: a fantastic dose of thrilling chills as well as an in depth look at the complex dynamics of a group of teens. This time, in Changeling (which is actually the third book in the series, don’t make the same mistake I did - pick up Hydra first, which I’ll be reading and reviewing soon!) we get the similar format of podcast-style narrative, creeping horror and social issues - if it ...more
The Book Review Café
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-series, crime, horror
If you’re looking for a series with an ingenious plot, a book that’s tense, deliciously dark, a classic mystery with a horror feel then look no further than Changeling by Matt Wesolowski it has all these elements and so much more. This is the third book in the six stories series, although it can easily be read as a stand-alone I would urge you to read the whole series, I loved Six Stories , scared myself silly reading Hydra, which I also happened to love, and Changeling? Definitely the best book ...more
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: November 8th 2019

"It's like an urban myth, a legend that has refused to die; this case has resurfaced again and again in my life. This case has an inexorable pull. Whether I like it or not."

(view spoiler)
Stephen Donovan
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I entered this book as a complete newcomer to Six Stories. Indeed, I was not even aware of it until I saw a series of glowing reviews from my fellow book bloggers, who convinced me to pick it up. I am so glad I did, for this was an absolutely superb read that combines excellent and unique storytelling with powerful themes and a continuous sense of atmosphere.

The disappearance of a young child acts as a very common premise in current mystery or crime fiction. However, this book takes a much diffe
Emily
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"This is flowering into something more horrific than I had imagined."

Changeling is the third book in the Six Stories series, and it's a fantastic companion to Six Stories & Hydra. These books can be read as standalones, but they're so damn good & you should read all of them.

These books are labeled as thrillers, but I see them as both horror and thriller since they have such a sense of creeping dread & there's usually a paranormal aspect. It's so easy to get invested in these stories, and they'r
Robyn
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alfie Marsden, a seven year old boy vanishes on Christmas Eve in 1988 in the Wentshire Forest. He is never seen or heard from again. It has been thirty years and the case of the missing boy has been filed away as a cold case still yet unsolved. What happened to Alfie? Did someone have something to do with his disappearance or is something more sinister and evil at play in Wenstshire Woods?

Scott King, a podcaster who investigates cold cases, is sent a letter asking for him to take a look into th
Lisa
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite book of the series!
It worked so well on audio as always because it is told in the style of a true crime podcast.
I found it really atmospheric and spooky... and the story is superb!

I don't think you necessarily need to have read the other two books as each mystery is different, but I enjoyed this more knowing more about the host Scott King and the style of the previous stories...it does take a bit of getting used to, especially if you're not used to podcasts like me.
Siobhan
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
When I read Changeling, I did not realise it was the third book in the Six Stories series, and I wish to point out my feelings towards the book may well reflect this. Sure, this one can be read as a standalone, but I fear I was missing out on some things that would have made me love this one.

You see, the self-contained story within this one was interesting. It was predictable, yes, but I enjoyed watching the way the details came together. It was easy to get through, and a different way of tellin
Joanne Robertson
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who knows me knows what an incredible wimp I am when it comes to scary movies and books but that I also have a terrible fear of missing out so just have to put myself through them for some weird and wonderful reason. But at least I can hide behind a cushion for movies-it’s very difficult to read a book that way though! Having read the first two books in the Six Stories series there was no way I wasn’t going to immerse myself in the third and I’m so glad that I did as this is the best one ...more
Louise Beech
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God. What a raw and intense reaction I had when I finished the last lines of this book. I was on the bus going to work (where I always read) and had tears on my cheeks. Such a powerful read. Scary, very much. (If anyone had knocked on ANYTHING while I was reading this I would have died!) Mysterious, always. Intense, yes. Twisty and turny, totally. But emotional too. What an ending! I want to read it all over again soon. Just Wesolowski's best so far.
Mandy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story, loved the way it was written once I had gotten into it which didn't take long, it had a very unsettling, creepy feeling all the way through. I look forward to reading others in the series as this was my first.
David
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, mystery
This is a fantastic series. Please, sir, may I have some more?
Claire Fuller
3.5 stars. An enjoyable quick read which had some really scary moments. I liked the format: written as a podcast with 'audio' tapes from the researcher as well as the six episodes that investigate the disappearance of a young boy in a woodland which is supposed to be haunted. I found the scary scenes the best, and very atmospheric, and I enjoyed the story, and the twist at the end, which I wasn't expecting. By the time I was half way through though, the feeling of each scene being reported secon ...more
Kelly Van Damme
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matt Wesolowski is a master storyteller, plain and simple. He has the ability to paint a picture with a few well-chosen words. It’s practically magic. Poof! And you’re there, in the forest, wondering what dwells beneath the branches, wondering what walks unseen between the tree trunks, wondering at that sound you keep hearing. This is an author whose work I can pick up, and regardless of how ridiculously high my expectations are at the start, I never end up disappointed.

I’ve been trying to figur
Amy Bruno
Changeling exceeded all of my expectations! Matt Wesolowski is a damn genius I tell you! A GENIUS!

Scott King is the host of the Six Stories podcast. He receives a letter from a listener one day asking him to cover a 30 year old case of a missing child. He's reluctant to do it, but he's intrigued and ultimately agrees. The Six Stories podcast looks at a case from 6 different points of view with King interviewing people associated with the case. Each installment of the podcast gives a new perspec
Kelly
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Changeling is the third installment in the Six Stories series and in my opinion the best yet. Scott King investigates the disappearance of a child through his Six Stories podcasts, interviewing six witnesses. Like all the other books in this series, The Changeling is super super spooky but also adds in a strong emotional element.
Fans of crime fiction, true crime, Serial and Lore style podcasts - this series is for you. I feel it gets stronger with each book.
Meggy - Chocolate'n'Waffles
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
In italics: ME!
In regular: YOU!

I have a big problem.
I am at a loss for words to review Changeling.

How come???
Well, it is easy. Matt Wesolowski’s work is art, and I am not sure I can do it justice.

But you’ve reviewed his two previous books in the series!
I know. And each book is as powerful and chilling as the previous one. That’s the problem.

Let's start at the beginning. What did you think of writing?
I am addicted to Scott King’s podcasts. I love the format, I love how it makes me feel I’m climbi

Jessica
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Christmas Eve 1988 marks the night that seven-year-old Alfie Marsden disappeared into the Wentshire Forest. Alfie’s father, Sorrel, claims that he pulled over because he heard a tapping noise coming from under the hood. Sometime between Sorrel getting out of the car, checking under the hood, and returning to the driver’s seat, Alfie vanished. No trace of the child was ever found. No body ever discovered.

Online journalist and Six Stories podcast host, Scott King, has received a mysterious letter
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Wow!!! Where do you begin with writing a review for a book like this! I will never EVER have the words for it. But OH MY GOD OH MY GOD and OH MY GOD, even they do not cover it! I still need to write my review for Six Stories and finish Hydra but to date, this book was the most epic.

It is all the buzzwords you can think of amazeballs, fantastic, epic, twisty, spooky, creepy and did I say AMAZING!!!

With the disappearing of little Alfie Marsden occurring in 1988, no one knows what happened that day
Bernadette Robinson

This is the third in the Six Stories series by Matt Wesolowski. Having read the previous two books in this series, I was looking forward to reading this one as I had enjoyed them both. It didn't let me down either, this was every bit as good as the previous two books.

I gave this a 4 stars or 8/10. Like the previous two books in the series this was well written and Matt Wesolowski has an unusual style of writing that draws you in.

Told as a series of podcasts Scott King has a unique way of interv
Pat Walsh
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A slowly unfolding, deeply unsettling story told from several viwpoints, in the unusual format of six podcasts. This is the first book I've read by Matt Wesolowski, but it won't be the last. Highly recommended.
Stephanie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Changeling could be read as standalone novel but I would recommend reading Six Stories and Hydra first. Not just because they are great books but it will also make you familiar with the format and Scott King. Changeling is my favourite one out of the three.

I struggle to describe how this novel made me feel. And how it was responsible for lost sleep. In my wisdom, I decided to start this book late one night. With its level of eeriness, unexplained events, sounds and threats from, bizarrely, a for
Beverley
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019

Short version of my review:

Oh. My. God. What did I just read? MATT! 😳😱🙊😕 I have a MAJOR book hangover. Changeling is fab. Read it.

Long version of my review:

I’m not shy about how much I love Matt Wesolowski’s writing, Six Stories and Hydra are both great reads and Changeling, the third book in the Six Stories series is no different. If you’re unfamiliar with the Six Stories series then a brief recap: they are books written in a podcast style and examine a cri
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • Violet
  • Good Samaritans (Detective Sergeant Pace, #1)
  • Attend
  • Hinton Hollow Death Trip (Detective Sergeant Pace, #3)
  • Call Me Star Girl
  • I Am Dust
  • Deep Dirty Truth (Lori Anderson, #3)
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • Inborn
  • A Dark Matter
  • The Waiting Rooms
  • Beton Rouge (Chas Riley, #7)
  • Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson Mystery, #2)
  • Breakers
  • Ghoster
  • Harrow Lake
  • The Lingering
Matt Wesolowski is an author from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in the UK. He is an English tutor for young people in care.

Wesolowski started his writing career in horror and was a winner of the Pitch Perfect competition at 'Bloody Scotland'; Crime Writing Festival 2015. His subsequent debut crime novel 'Six Stories' was published by Orenda Books in the spring of 2016 with follow-up ‘Hydra’ published in the

Six Stories (5 books)
  • Six Stories (Six Stories, #1)
  • Hydra (Six Stories, #2)
  • Beast (Six Stories, #4)
  • Deity