Start by marking “Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)

Woven in Moonlight

(Woven in Moonlight #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  4,406 ratings  ·  1,252 reviews
A lush tapestry of magic, romance, and revolución, drawing inspiration from Bolivian politics and history.

Ximena is the decoy Condesa, a stand-in for the last remaining Illustrian royal. Her people lost everything when the usurper, Atoc, used an ancient relic to summon ghosts and drive the Illustrians from La Ciudad. Now Ximena’s motivated by her insatiable thirst for reve
Published January 7th 2020 by Page Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Woven in Moonlight, please sign up.
Isabel Ibañez Hey there!

Hey there!

It’s a stand alone, but there may be a companion novel set in the same world and starring a side character coming! Stay tuned! :) (less)

·  4,406 ratings  ·  1,252 reviews

Start your review of Woven in Moonlight (Woven in Moonlight, #1)
Isabel Ibañez
Sep 24, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi everyone!

I don't spend a lot of time on Goodreads but as WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT heads out into the world, I wanted to quickly mention a few things!

First, WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT is a standalone, but the Inkasisa world is expansive so I imagine there might be a few stories I can still hope to write! The next book set in this world is WRITTEN IN STARLIGHT, and while the story takes place directly after the events of WIM, it can be read on it's own—though you might enjoy it more if you read them in ord
jessica
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
came for the gorgeous cover but stayed for the latin american representation, lush magic, a swoon-worthy rebel, fluid writing, THE MAGIC SLOTH, and the slow simmer into an explosion of an ending.

while there really is a lot to love about this, my main complaint would some aspects of the world-building are lacking. im not sure if it was mentioned and i just missed it, but i cant remember reading about why there is magic and why people have different kinds of it. its not really explained - the rea
✨ A ✨
Jan 04, 2020 marked it as interested
I don't care how shallow this makes me but I need this book in my life just for that beautiful cover ☺
Nenia ⭐️ Queen of Awkward ⭐️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I picked up WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT on a whim because it was offered to me as an ARC and I thought the cover was really pretty. I was a little leery, though; the cover looked cutesy and cutesy fantasy rarely sits well with me. But this is one of those instances where the cover doesn't really match the book. WOVEN IN MIDNIGHT looks like it's going to be a sweet and sleepy middle grade fantasy story about some brave and plucky girl.

Instead... i
C.G. Drews
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of fantasy that really enchants you with fake queens, roguish vigilantes, and the absolute cutest magic sloths. It's true!! There is a sloth made of magic here and for that reason alone you'll want to read this!

I went in not knowing much about it, so here is my quick highlight reel of what you're in for:
📖#ownvoices Bolivian-inspired fantasy
📖 so much rich culture, so much love for details
📖the absolute most delicious food descriptions you will up and try to gnaw your book pages
📖t
Amy Imogene Reads
4 stars

Ximena can weave moonlight into lush tapestries of wool, and sometimes they come to life. When her people need her to infiltrate the enemy's kingdom to take down the false king, Ximena doesn't hesitate—she's ready to fight. But what happens when the cause you've been fighting for becomes more gray than black and white?

World: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★
Dialogue: ★★
Pacing: ★★★

Ximena's job is to be the decoy Condesa, who is the true heir to the Illustrian throne. The Illustrians were recently ove
Olive Fellows (abookolive)
See my review on booktube: https://youtu.be/LDi_8XieLg4

And the below review originally appeared on Open Letters Review.

Inspired by Bolivian culture and history, Isabel Ibañez spins a glittering and richly drawn story in her young adult fantasy debut, Woven in Moonlight. A tale of revolution, loyalty, and identity, it begins with a shaky show of leadership by heroine Ximena Rojas, giving her questions about her ability to rule over her people, the displaced Illustrians.

Her self-doubt has roots. U
Rue
May 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Elle
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I read the first couple chapters of this a while ago, and I was excited to see more of Inkasisa. There was magic and Bolivian history and politics and some pretty stark realities we don’t see often in YA fantasy (like food shortages and ration lines). But all of that seemed to melt away pretty quickly and the story devolved into a trope-heavy and predictable offering from this genre.

I’m not sure if this has been given a name, but there’s a particular type of plotline that I think of as ‘captive
elena
Jan 01, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
BOLIVIAN POLITICS!!!!!!!!

my latina ass wants this so bad especially because of bolivia's current political situation
sarah xoxo
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woven in Moonlight was an impressive debut from Isabel Ibañez.
The fantasy setting, based off Bolivia was refreshing and unique. The atmosphere was enthralling and immersive. Descriptions of the food, clothing and palace made the world tangible.

Woven in Moonlight covers the aftermath of war and the intricacies of morality when nothing is black and white.
There were clear parallels between political and cultural aspects of past and present Bolivia, and the Spanish Inquisitor overthrow of the nat
Tani
May 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
RATINGS: 2.5 STARS

Warning: Spoilers and cursing ahead. Read at your own risk.

Let's unpack this shitcase. Have you ever worked hard for something but ultimately failed at it? This is how I'm feeling right now.

First, let's talk about the good.
-The world building is awesome.
-The cultural representation is refreshing.
-The stereotypically feminine characteristics are shown as strength.
-The political undertones were rightly hit in the nail.
-The beginning was a kick-start.
-The blurred lines betw
Zoraida
Review for Tor.com coming soon...
TL;DR - I loved it. Genuinely. Clever take on Latin American/Andean history and politics. Sweet romance. Promising debut author.
Alice Lippart
Great setting and loved all the history and lore.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Ten years ago, the Llacsans overthrew the Illustrians and took over La Ciudad with an ancient relic filled with powerful magic. Now, as the food stores for the last remaining Illustrians runs dry and their general is missing, the Llacsan king sends a bleak message: the Condesa must marry him, or all Illustrians will die.

It seems bleak, but there is one trick left up their sleeve: Ximena, the decoy Condesa. She will infiltrate La Ciudad, find the relic, and return her people to glory.

This was a p
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
I'm a simple girl. I read "Moonlight" & "Masked Vigilante" and add it to TBR;)
description
Adrienne Young
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Isabel Ibanez brings a modern story to an ancient world in her debut novel, WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT. With immersive prose, original magic, and characters as rich as the Bolivian culture that constructs the story, Ibanez delivers a wholly unique book for the YA shelf.
jade
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves YA and finds the combination of woolly animals and bloody revolutions intriguing
Recommended to jade by: Damaris Huerta
ADDITION: recently, i’ve been made aware of the questionable elements of this novel more explicitly. earlier this year, there was some discussion going on about the portrayal of indigenous bolivian culture & its people versus the portrayal of descendants from the colonizers of bolivia.

going by that initial discussion, i thought this story nuanced enough: colonization is a theme within this novel and the main character is quite harshly confronted with her opinions and prejudice towards the in
Ararita (Okretačica stranica)
I'm in shock. So many great reviews and so many stars for this? I feel like I've read a different book O.o
The characterisation is flat, except Ximena's and Rumi's. There is one "mistical" character, El Lobo, but if you read more than 10 books in your life, you know who he is almost immediately.
The blurb (and the reviews) promised a book filled with magic, but that part is so poorly explained and presented. The plot would not change much if that part was ommited.
The romantic part was also so ob
Marquise
The book purports to be "inspired by Bolivian politics," but the reality is that it's based on a perpetuation of Bolivian stereotypes with a sprinkle of local mythology to give this fetishisation of the exotic a feel of genuineness. That the author got this second-hand from her parents doesn't make this any less poor a portrayal, and might in fact be another reason for why it's so.

The problem here is that this author divides the people in this world, Inkasisa, into two camps: the "good" illustr
Mrinmayi
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*3.5
This book pretty much summed up : what happens when a Gryffindor "TRIES" to save the world but keeps on making " Stupid and reckless decisions " and in the end ....ends up doing more STUPID THINGS 🥱😠🥱
Then the Slytherin has to step in and save the world ; clear the mess GRYFFINDOR has created ,make sacrifices and be loyal to the Gryffindor and yet get betrayed by the same Gryffindor 😒😶.....Oh and as expected the Hufflepuff dies😠🤨
Cherry on the top: The Gryffindor gets the credit for saving the
Diana
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drawn inspiration from rich Bolivian culture — the world, the magic system and the representation are all as beautifully woven in this book as Ximena's tapestries

"Words empowered by justice can never be silenced."

Focused on fighting political oppression and overthrowing a corrupt government, Ximena Rojas is our impulsive and very determined main character who due to the circumstances she was dragged in as the decoy of the Illustrian Condesa had a change of heart for their sworn enemy — the L
Sophie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2020
It took me a while to get into the story as it came off as very simply written, but I grew to enjoy the world and the magic, though I would have liked to see it more developed. This is one of those stories where it is easy to guess what is going to happen, but still enjoy the ride.

I liked the difference in the two cultures displayed (and how the constant conflicts hurt each other and the constant back and forth in power) and the two cultures learning about each other through Ximena and her enco
Cande
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: latinx-author
I finished this book like a week ago and I’ve been dreading writing this post. Even dreading to read the book, it took me one month to finish it. Looking at my notes I see my slow progression from excitement to annoyance to frustration to disappointment. I really want to like this book, it sounds like my perfect fantasy: Latinx inspired, revolution, magic, and an unapologetic heroine. But oh friends, this was a disappointment on so many fronts.

Read my full review on my blog, Latinx Magic.
Rebecca Ross
A spellbinding, vivid debut. Plot twists abound, the magic is uniquely drawn, and intrigue illuminates the pages. The world of Inkasisa is so beautifully rendered I never wanted to leave it.
TheBibliotheque ♡
If you think the cover is stunning, wait until you open up this gorgeous book and see what awaits you.

Isabel Ibañez has managed to create not only a lustrous world bathed in moonlight, vibrant scents and dazzling colours but also, she has knocked my socks off with one of the most *beautiful* magic systems I have ever come across. All that woven in the rich Bolivian culture of her very own roots.

Man, was I blown away. I am telling you, you don't want to miss out on this.

But don't be tricked by th
Abbie | epochnovels
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully warm tale woven with magic, intrigue, and romance ✨

😏See what I did there ^ ? This lush fantasy inspired by Bolivian politics and history was so captivating! The dynamics of the court were truly maddening - as I said before, that Atoc can go and DIE. I loved reading about the food, the fashion, the history, and the language. Everything was so lush and glittering. To me, some of the best fantasies are the ones with vast descriptions of the dishes that the protagonists eat in the nove
~Annabelle~ ♥♠
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I never go into a debut expecting much so i was kind of shocked with how good this story was.

This is a revolution fantasy. The story is set in Bolivia.

a) There's a Usurper King: King Atoc.

b) Queen in exile: Queen Catalina.

c) Queen Catalina's badass decoy: Ximena.

d) King Atoc's highly devoted cousin: Rumi.

e) There's a vigilante.

I know what you are expecting but no, Ximena is actually the protagonist of the story as well as Rumi. HaHa.

MY OPINION

I must say this is my first encounter with Bolivia
Fanna
January 19, 2020:

Woven in Moonlight weaves clashing cultures and strong women with a loom placed on societal consequences of war, stepping into enemy grounds, fighting for yourself and your people, and learning, understanding, loving what you once thought you never could. A definitive recommendation for those who love a diverse background and POC in a mixture of politics, history, and magic. Animals literally woven in moonlight, a mysterious vigilante, a handsome healer, and the incorporation of
Jessica | Booked J
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2020
Blog | Twitter | Instagram |You can find my stop on the blog tour here.

As always, a copy of this book was provided by the authors in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

What a stunning, enchanting story. What a way to kick off a new decade. Get ready for an instant classic and one the strongest debuts I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I mean that genuinely: EVER. And I've been reviewing YA books for over a decade. This novel has now taken its righ

• Eight Will Fall
  • In the Shadow of the Sun (In the Shadow of the Sun, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Lupe Wong Won't Dance
  • Where Are You From?
  • All the Bad Apples
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Harley in the Sky
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • The Downstairs Girl
Isabel Ibañez was born in Boca Raton, Florida, and is the proud daughter of two Bolivian
immigrants. A true word nerd, she received her degree in creative writing and has been a
Pitch Wars mentor for three years. Isabel is an avid movie goer and loves hosting family and
friends around the dinner table. She currently lives in Winter Park, Florida, with her
husband, their adorable dog, and a serious col

Woven in Moonlight (2 books)
  • Written in Starlight (Woven in Moonlight, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“Catalina says that people are like books. Some you want to read and enjoy; some you hate before you've even read a word.” 16 likes
“Despite the danger, my protest had burst from my lips, from my heart. Because words empowered by justice can never be silenced.” 9 likes