Start by marking “Cooking with Bear: A Story and Recipes from the Forest” as Want to Read:
Cooking with Bear: A Story and Recipes from the Forest

Cooking with Bear: A Story and Recipes from the Forest

When Bear wakes up after a long, cold winter, hes happy to see the signs of spring. To celebrate, he makes a special meal of fresh watercress soup and crusty seed bread. Fox follows his nose to Bears den and joins him for lunch. The food is delicious, and Fox, who is tired of eating the same old thing, asks Bear to teach him how to cook.

Together, they walk through the
Published April 2nd 2019 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about Cooking with Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking with Bear

Start your review of Cooking with Bear: A Story and Recipes from the Forest
Mary
You may remember that my winter book list included a book called Bear's Winter Party written by Deborah Hodge and illustrated by Lisa Cinar. I'm thrilled to tell all of you all that this duo has a sequel releasing next week! In Cooking with Bear: A Story and Recipes from the Forest, Bear is back, and once again, he's still as kind and generous as can be.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The book starts when Bear wakes from hibernation to notice that spring is late. He then worries about if his friends are warm enough
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Cooking with Bear: A Story and Recipes from the Forest by Deborah Hodge, illustrated by Lisa Cinar. PICTURE BOOK/COOK BOOK. Groundwood, 2019. $20. 9781773060743

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Bear has woken from his hibernation and is ready to see his friends. But first, he needs to prepare some delicious food to share. His friend Fox stops by and together they search the forest for the freshest spring ingredients.

Hodge includes 13 vegetarian recipes using fresh
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cooking with Bear is part story and part recipe book. At the beginning of spring, Bear, the chef, cooks up all kinds of delicious food for his animal friends. He teaches his friend fox how to forage and prepare different meals based on the diets of the different animals they meet on their walk in the forest.
The back matter contains an index to all the recipes. I'm torn between cooking up the nut burgers or the hazelnut-chocolate chip cookies first!
If you have a young person who enjoys cooking,
June Jacobs
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This picture book features a fun story about Bear and his friends in the forest. Simple recipes are interspersed throughout the story and at the end of the main story.

Colorful, cheerful illustrations make this book a winner!

------------
I borrowed this book from the local public library.

##############
Leslie Marley
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun idea but half of the food recipe choices were not appealing to cook with small children. Very complex to make and many kids might not find the foods appealing. As an adult I wanted all of it of course.
Kelly
I liked the story of two friends going through the forest, finding out what their friends are eating. But be prepared...you might end up cooking and baking. I didn't like the addition of the recipes in the book.
Juliana Lee
Bear is a great cook. Fox is his taste tester. Starting with watercress soup, Fox gobbles up everything Bear cooks for him. When it's time for Bear to hibernate, he sits down and writes out all his recipes so Fox will have a lot of choices to make for himself.
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Celebrating spring with recipes from the forest. It's not long on plot, but I do like that it encourages readers to care for others, eat seasonally, and cook!
Erica Flory
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love that there are recipes in the book.
Lauren
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a cute book. The recipes sound tasty. Fun intro for kids to cooking!
Katy
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my style, but a nice book.
Kimberly
Cute! I definitely want to try some of the recipes in this book.
Miss Sarah
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Bear and friend fox visit neighbors in the forest to find ingredients to help fox lern to cook. Elementary and up. Complete with recipes.
Julie Esanu

• Ruby’s Worry: A Big Bright Feelings Book
  • Dog and Bear: Two's Company
  • Mad At Mommy
  • Consent: A Memoir of Unwanted Attention
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Rose!
  • Waiting Out the Storm
  • Can You See What I See? Animals: Animals Read-and-Seek (Scholastic Reader Level 1)
  • Maggi and Milo
  • Not a Box
  • A Color of His Own
  • Neck & Neck
  • Little Tigers
Deborah Hodge is the award-winning author of 25 books for children. She specializes in writing engaging nonfiction for primary aged children. Her most recent title is Up We Grow! A Year in the Life of a Small, Local Farm, a book on sustainable farming and where our food comes from. Her other work includes, The Kids Book of Canada's Railway, winner of the Information Book Award of Canada, and Lily ...more

News & Interviews

Are you new to reading mysteries and thrillers and feeling overwhelmed by where to start? As all good detectives know, narrowing down the list ...