Start by marking “George and Martha Encore” as Want to Read:
George and Martha Encore

George and Martha Encore (George and Martha)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  490 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
More stories about the two great chums: "The Dance Recital," "The French Lesson," "The Disguise," "The Beach," "The Garden."
Published April 27th 1977 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about George and Martha Encore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George and Martha Encore

Apr 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Most characters run the risk of wearing out their welcome if they appear in too many books but George and Martha manage to stay fresh and funny each time.
Aneesa
Nov 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Sequel includes sexism AND cultural appropriation.
Abbie Shawano
I thought that this story would be appealing to young readers, but not as much as other books would be. It does not look like a "chapter book" making it more likely to be ignored by transitional readers. There are not many words on each page, pictures are on each page, and a lot of dialogue is used. The book looks as if it would be for beginning readers, but the difficulty of some words, phrases, and the use of dialogue makes it better for older children who are transitioning readers.
The genre
Samantha
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Short stories about a pair of friends who are hippos.

The Dance Recital--George thinks dancing is dumb, but changes his mind after attending Martha's dance recital. He's so inspired he begins taking dance classes too and Martha is equally impressed with George's newly developed talent.

The French Lesson--George tricks Martha into asking him for a kiss in French and he sweetly plants one on her cheek.

The Disguise--George hopes to fool Martha by dressing up as an Indian chief, but she recognizes h
Ashleigh
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-291
More stories about two great chums- hippopotamuses Martha and George. Story number one: dance recital. Martha and George are having a disagreement. George thinks dancing isn't fun but Martha has a big recital coming up.. Will she get George to go?

This collection of stories by James Marshall about the beloved Martha and George will never go out of style. They are stories about friendship and making compromises and supporting each other, all in a comedy fashion of course. The whimsical hippopotam
Gabriel Wallis
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I enjoyed reading George and Martha Encore. It's been years and years since I've read it, and it was just as enjoyable today as it was then. Within this little book there are five short stories: "The Dance Recital", "The French Lesson", "The Disguise", "The Beach", and "The Garden". Good, simple, easy to read short stories. I received this book on February 1, 1990, more than likely from my mom and dad, since the inside inscription is written in my mother's handwriting. I do recommend reading Geo ...more
Debbie
Feb 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Research studies demonstrate that stereotypical images have a negative impact on Native children. Because George is playing Indian in GEORGE AND MARTHA ENCORE, I cannot in good conscience recommend it.

A scan of one page is here:
Jessica
Sep 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Readers and families should know that the second story, "The Disguise" has one of the characters in a Native American head dress, as though it is a costume without significant cultural significance. I cannot recommend it for this reason.

The characters seem sweet and the stories move along very quickly, so we skipped this story and read the others.
Erin
George and Martha were childhood favorites of mine, and now I get to read them to my kids. Short vignettes about friendship, often silly, make for a quick, enjoyable read.

James Marshall's illustrations are like looking at pictures of my own childhood.
Rachel Brokaw
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is one of many books by James Marshall. These are easy children's books that would be aimed at the youngest children's grade level. They are not for children that are of a higher grade level because they are to help beginning readers excel in their reading.
Mitchell
A lot like the first book - I was glad to see George got to keep his gold tooth. A simple set of children's stories with okay art and text. Though really I don't see anything all that special. Except for the introduction in the edition I was reading - which clearly shows the author's impact.
Diana Pettis
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
guided reading level text L.

Good short stories about friends.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
I love George and Martha. This isn't my favorite of their stories, but you just can't go wrong with George and Martha!
kim
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, picture, 2015
not as funny as it remembered it being when I was a kid. the short stories just don't have enough omph
Megan Gitter
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
good for early elementary grades, examines the dynamics of friendships and shows the ups and downs of friendships and conflict resolution
Bree
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Notes:
frog-and-toad-style stories but very unique
best for age 6+ not pre-K
friendship messages and humor without moralizing
love the simple illustrations and text
Sandra Guerfi
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bring back childhood memories or create new ones with these silly chums.
Nanette
Sandra Aldridge
Jul 03, 2016
  • Harold's Trip to the Sky
  • Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown
  • The New Potty (Little Critter)
  • Race You to Bed
  • Miss Lina's Ballerinas
  • Hugs from Pearl
  • Pluto's Secret: An Icy World's Tale of Discovery
  • A Hole is to Dig
  • The Stupids Die (The Stupids, #3)
  • Brownie  Pearl Get Dolled Up
  • I'll Fix Anthony
  • Waddle! Waddle!
  • Gryphons Aren't So Great (Adventures in Cartooning)
  • Quiet Bunny
  • Just Like Heaven
  • How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum
  • The Incredible Life of Balto
  • Bears in Beds
James Edward Marshall (October 10, 1942 – October 13, 1992), who also wrote as Edward Marshall, was a children's author and illustrator.

His father worked on the railroad, was a band member in the 1930s, and his mother sang in the local church choir. His family later moved to Beaumont, Texas. Marshall said: "Beaumont is deep south and swampy and I hated it. I knew I would die if I stayed there so I
More about James Marshall...

George and Martha (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • George and Martha