Start by marking “George and Martha Tons of Fun” as Want to Read:
George and Martha Tons of Fun

George and Martha Tons of Fun (George and Martha)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Another quintet of stories about the pleasures and problems of a great friendship: "The Sweet Tooth," "The Misunderstanding," "The Hypnotist," "The Special Gift," and "The Photograph."
Published October 27th 1986 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about George and Martha Tons of Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George and Martha Tons of Fun

Amy Layton
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
How is it possible that with each George and Martha book, their friendship just becomes more and more pure?  I mean, as the vignettes continue (over a span of 7 books!), there are certainly more funny and trickster-like scenes which I suppose could be construed as mean-spirited.  But honestly?  It's reflective of how friendships are sometimes--friends get mad with each other and make up and play pranks on each other and tell each other they look good.  And George and Martha continue to represent ...more
Kelly
Silly hippos.
Samantha
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hippos, friendship
5 stories about two friends who are hippos.

The Misunderstanding--Martha is offended when George tells her he isn't up to hanging out one day, but she distracts herself with other tasks and soon forgets her anger.

The Sweet Tooth--In order to get George to stop eating sweets, Martha takes up smoking cigars.

The Photograph--Martha takes a silly photo in a photo booth.

The Hypnotist--George tries to hypnotize Martha, but finds that he hasn't succeeded when he sneaks into the kitchen to raid the cookie
Laura Monagan
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We were thrilled to come across this duo when our daughter was at just the right age to appreciate that humor and honesty fall into balance in a true friendship. James Marshall somehow manages to tap into a realistic range of emotions in a book of very short stories about two good friends. While delighting us with hippo antics, he gently reminds us that none of us is perfect and all of us need friends.
Julie
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to this book, my kids and I have a new joke: "Let's not discuss it." This is a funny story that teaches about getting along with others and not taking yourself too seriously. And despite my new joke, the story actually does provide lots of good discussion points. I'm excited to see there are more George and Martha books we can read!
Mitchell
And this one didn't do much for me. It was still the same basic stories with George and Martha. And Martha got to change color in this one. It just seemed a bit darker tone. And perhaps reading these stories one after the other it is hard seeing them as separate. Still pretty good though. 3.5 of 5.
Catherine
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The George and Martha books are just lovely. They're fun, witty, egalitarian in spirit, both clever and kind, and sweet but not too sweet. Great illustrations, and terrific capturing of the human spirit as drawn as two hippos.
kim
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, kids, picture
the short stories are inconstantly good
Sandra Guerfi
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Classics. Read them to your kids and enjoy the silliness.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'd never read any George and Martha stories before this one. They're great!
Kaylee Jaime
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Great book to read if you want a good laugh. Growing up I always loved to read George and Martha because they always seemed to cheer me up.
Bree
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
frog-and-toad-style stories but very unique
best for age 6+ not pre-K
friendship messages and humor without moralizing
love the simple illustrations and text
Sara
OssifrageRage
Feb 29, 2008
  • Race You to Bed
  • Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown
  • The Stupids Have a Ball (The Stupids, #2)
  • The New Potty (Little Critter)
  • Hugs from Pearl
  • Quiet Bunny
  • A Hole is to Dig
  • WALL-E
  • Sam the Minuteman
James Edward Marshall (October 10, 1942 – October 13, 1992), who also wrote as Edward Marshall, was a children's author and illustrator.

His father worked on the railroad, was a band member in the 1930s, and his mother sang in the local church choir. His family later moved to Beaumont, Texas. Marshall said: "Beaumont is deep south and swampy and I hated it. I knew I would die if I stayed there so I
More about James Marshall

George and Martha (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • George and Martha