Start by marking “Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther (Shuri, #1-5)” as Want to Read:
Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther (Shuri, #1-5)

Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther

(Shuri #1-5)

The world fell in love with her in Marvel’s Black Panther. Now, T’Challa’s techno-genius sister launches her own adventures — written by best-selling Afrofuturist author Nnedi Okorafor and drawn by Eisner Award-nominated artist Leonardo Romero! T’Challa has disappeared, and everyone is looking at the next in line for the throne. Wakanda expects Shuri to take on the mantle ...more
Published May 7th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Shuri, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Maia Although it's aimed at older readers, I don't see anything in it that I would find objectionable for an 11 year old.

Start your review of Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther (Shuri, #1-5)
David Schaafsma
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A favorite character from the film The Black Panther, Shuri is T’Challa’s science/techno phenom sister, and the character Nigerian-American, Afro-futurist magical fantasy writer Nnedi Okorafor creates is both consistent with that film version, a good thing, and something like Binti from her now non-comics series.

On a space mission T'Challah and Manifold disappear, and Princess Shuri has to decide what her primary responsibility at the moment is: Sister, scientist, public leader? Wakanda expects
Scott
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I still don't know where my brother is. And . . . there's now a giant electricity-eating bug heading for Wakanda." (pause) "One disaster at a time." -- Shuri, just having another 'one of those days'

Charming and energetic tale starring Black Panther's younger sister, the technological genius and adventure-seeking youngest sibling in Wakanda's royal family. (Shuri was played to perfection in the 2018 big-screen Black Panther feature by the adorable Letitia Wright, and she also had quick cameo appearances in the
Mir
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Although this is listed as Volume 1 it appears to take place within a larger ongoing story involving Black Panther, Manifold, space travel for some secret-to-me purpose, some villain I'd never heard of named Moses Magnum, and other stuff. So, it would probably help to have been reading along and not just pick up this book because you like Shuri and/or Nnedi Okorafor.

That said, there were lots of fun things going on (almost too many, perhaps). There were multiple relationships, romant
Artemis
If Shuri is one of your favourite characters in 'Black Panther', if not the number one fave, then check out her solo comic series, which she has well earned. Marvel is taking the right step in putting more female POC characters in the spotlight.

Written by acclaimed writer Nnedi Okorafor, 'Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther' is fun, spiritual, political, and intellectual. It showcases Shuri's can-do attitude and tech wizardry (as well as the gauntlets, she has invented silver wings that
Lata
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun story of Shuri having to deal with her brother's disappearance after he goes to space with another superhero, Manifold.
Everyone wants Shuri to assume the Black Panther mantle while T'Challa is away/lost, and she just wants to do things her way. She has a series of adventures, dealing with problems, and runs into Rocket and Groot (it was cool reading what Groot actually means when he talks!)
I was a little lost as I haven't read the preceding Wakanda stories, but Shuri's a favourite of
Diz
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was OK. Shuri as a character is very likable, and the art is done in a style that I like. However, the story is basically about finding her brother (with no results) and fighting a giant space bug (not a very interesting antagonist). To offset that, this volume has some of the most beautiful comics covers I've seen in a long time.
Benji Glaab
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5🌟

I was intrigued since I've been meaning to listen to Okorafor's Binti stories on audio for a while. Unfortunately I found this on the boring side. There wasn't much meat to the story, however there were some fun ideas along the way and there was work put into building Shuri up as a character. There is a decent foundation for future volumes. We need to find out where T'challa and Manifold disappeared to. Shuri has employed the likes of Tony Stark and Rocket. Let's see if they can
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Shuri was one of my standout favorites from the Black Panther film, so the fact that she gets her own comic series meant this was a no-brainer for me. I loved seeing her holding her own alongside Ramonda, Okoye, Storm, and Iron Man after her brother disappeared into space. The story was excellent and the various covers were all stunning. Looking forward to the next collection!
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
When T'Challah and Manifold go missing during a space mission, Princess Shuri is desperate to locate them before the world learns that Black Panther has disappeared, which would put the safety of Wakanda at risk. Shuri must make some tough decisions to protect her country and her family while searching for her brother.
With a little help from Storm and some guest appearances by Rocket, Groot, and Iron Man, Shuri begins an epic journey with guidance from the ancient ones and kicks some butt
Stewart Tame
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
From the pages of Black Panther: It's Shuri!

This was fun. The Black Panther goes missing while on a space mission investigating a wormhole. I know he’ll be back. You know he’ll be back. Shuri certainly knows he’ll be back. But the pressure’s on from multiple fronts--including her mother--to fill in as the new Black Panther until he returns. What's the worst that could happen? Of course the last time she filled in for him she, you know, DIED.

Did you really expect the story
Rod Brown
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Overall, I'm enjoying Okorafor's comic books, but this is her least successful for me so far. With all the running around, slam-bang adventure, and exposition-heavy introduction of side characters, I just felt Shuri's personality fell through the cracks. Nothing in here really got me to root for her as the star of the book. Maybe next volume...
Marta
This is a fun, action-filled story, as far as Shuri’s metarphosis into Black Panther is concerned, with amazing art. I especially enjoyed the African art, costumes and cities.

However, the story of a small black hole in the desert is beyond ridiculous. I read some of this to my husband and he begged me to stop - it was too painful. Yep, stand next to a black hole and accelerate it. Oh yeah, and with seismic powers, you can survive inside a singularity. Oh, and speed it up with stuff f
Ma'Belle
Aww man, I was REALLY excited for this book. I love Shuri and the other characters that have been developed for so long and recently leveled-up by Ta Nehisi-Coates. The character design and art are great. Sadly, I can't even give this two measly stars, it had me rolling my eyes and blowing raspberries in the air in disappointment so much by the end. I'm okay with superhero comic books aiming for entry-level accessibility and making some movie tie-ins, but this whole story is very much like the s ...more
Bogi Takács
Really enjoyed the political aspects, Shuri struggling with responsibility, etc. The book addressed some things that I'd been wondering about re: Wakanda. But I felt the Rocket & Groot cameo did not match the style of the rest and didn't really work for me. I'll still read the next volume! Also, now the sharp change in setting between Black Panther vol. 5 and 6 makes sense, so if you were also confused by that, here is the explanation.

_______
Source of the book: Lawrence Pub
Lucille
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Shuri: The Search for Black Panther is really great at summarising what had happened to Shuri and Wakanda in previous stories while still launching the present volume with a simple starting point: T’Challa goes to space and goes missing after two weeks.
The colourful life in Wakanda, Shuri’s technological experiments, a mysterious internet friend, the women of Wakanda… the first issue manages to introduce many elements without any rush and while keeping the plot moving steadily. Author Nned
Renata
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
(read as single issues)

Do I feel like this all tied into something I hadn't read or didn't remember? yes

Did I enjoy it anyway? also yes

I especially loved the focus on women's backchannels and Wakanda's role in pan-African issues. And also the guest visits from Tony Stark, Rocket, and Groot were very charming.
Juniper Nichols
A very promising start! Nnedi manages to blend the youthful energy of the movie version with the complicated powers and backstory of the comics by Coates et al. I loved the pestering “masks” who call her Ancient Future, reminds me a bit of Akata Witch. It’s Shuri’s time to shine. Sharp graphics, too!
Alex Sarll
Nnedi Okorafor's third Black Panther spin-off, but the one most closely tied to the parent book, running in tandem with Ta-Nehisi Coates' Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda arc (which I've yet to read). It has one of the best art teams with which she's been paired thus far; Romero and Bellaire give the comic a look at once classic yet not remotely retro, with a whole other manga vibe for the flashbacks, and another style again for the offbeat team-up with some other characters familiar to MCU fans. ...more
Florine
Excellent!
I don't know much about comics & the Marvel universe, but I really loved it. Nnedi writing this is the best thing that could have happened to Shuri. Nnedi's books are very entrenched in African culture and technology, and that's exactly what Wakanda is all about! It's seamless. I love love love how she brought her universe & background to the story, with the wilderness, the wings, the cicada, the high tech...
If you liked Shuri in the Black Panther movie, you'll like this
Caitlin
(read 1-5 as single issue comics) This was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed Okorafor's writing and perspective on this slice of Wakanda. The story gets a little wacky, but it really clicks with the world and characters. Looking forward to the next volume!
Nikki S
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Liked the story line, but wasn't 100% fond of the art.
Megan Sanks
5 stars for teaching me that LED light bulbs can transmit data and for showing Iron Man drinking out of a Captain America mug!
Miranda
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This volume was an enjoyable read even though I would have benefited from reading its predecessors. I suppose it isn't necessary, but I'm going to read them mixed in with Shuri Vol. 2+. (The library will determine the order for me, though.)

Maybe it goes without saying, but Shuri is so cool! I think this volume made her even cooler--didn't think that was possible. And the artwork was gorgeous.
Geoffrey Payne
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is off to a great start. The writing feels fresh and I love the modern twist on the classic style of the artwork. The story is definitely wacky at times but that’s what makes it really great. Definitely recommend this one! 4.5 out of 5!
Emily
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, teen-books
T’Challa went into space accompanied by Shuri’s boyfriend, and they were swallowed by a black hole (which was the plan), but they haven’t responded in weeks and it’s getting harder to keep that information from the people of Wakanda. So, how does Shuri fit into all this? Well, the Queen wants Shuri to take up the mantle of Black Panther until T’Challa returns; however, Shuri once was the Black Panther and she died in that state and now fears this responsibility thus she spends the whole vol tryi ...more
Scott Lee
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid take on Shuri, who will feel familiar from her characterization in the MCU's Black Panther film as that is clearly the intended effect here.

Shuri is a fascinating character and Okorafor's successful inhabitation of her as protagonist is the best part of this book by far. The rest feels a bit too...reactive (a weird choice in comics, because super-heroes are inherently people who respond to the world's ills as their primary mode of acting). I like that this seems to explain some of what's happe
Laura Olson
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I didn’t jive with this one. I was excited as I loved the movie and this character specifically, but she didn’t have as much spunk as I’d expected. I didn’t really think the art was all that special, and the story, while listed as a first volume, takes place in a larger Black Panther storyline that I haven’t read. That fact alone made a lot of this story out of reach for me. Also I wasn’t a big fan of how rushed the story was. There is a giant bug, but that was resolved in like 2 p ...more
Danielle
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved seeing Shuri in her first MCU appearance, and I'm glad she has her own series now, too. This is the first work I've read set in Wakanda and I really liked how it tackled politics - both in Africa as a continent and within the country. I also appreciated the story tackling how Shuri is treated by the public and her loved ones, and where she wants to fit in in the greater scheme of things.

The mystery is interesting, and this is mostly an introduction to what comes next, but it'
Adelaide Metzger
Mmmm...

This was okay.

I’m not very literate when it comes to the comic book world—especially with Marvel. So, I’m sure this is much better than a lot of comic spin offs out there.

The only thing I can really compare this to is Nnedi Okorafor’s previous Black Panther: Long Live The King volume (which is the only other Black Panther comic I’ve read as of this review). Shuri’s first volume had a lot of really interesting elements—especially when it came to Nnedi’s awesome cultural details s
Luana
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The artwork is vibrant and gorgeous but the storyline, while it had some interesting delves into society from female character perspective and spaces, was not as rich or as complex as Nnedi Okorafor's work in novel format generally - I guess this is to be expected, especially when dealing with the superhero genre of graphic novels and one that is on the smallish side.

On the plus side the characters are genuinely appealing and reveals of abilities intriguing that there is definite int
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Asgardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: The Infinity Armada
  • X-23, Vol. 1: Family Album
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 2: Remittance
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 6: Save Our School
Nnedi Okorafor is a Nigerian American author of African-based science fiction, fantasy and magical realism for both children and adults and a professor at the University at Buffalo, New York. Her works include Who Fears Death, the Binti novella trilogy, the Book of Phoenix, the Akata books and Lagoon. She is the winner of Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy Awards and her debut novel Zahrah the Windse ...more

Shuri (7 books)