Start by marking “Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther” as Want to Read:
Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther

Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther

(Shuri #1-5)

The world fell in love with her in Marvels Black Panther. Now, TChallas techno-genius sister launches her own adventures written by best-selling Afrofuturist author Nnedi Okorafor and drawn by Eisner Award-nominated artist Leonardo Romero! TChalla has disappeared, and everyone is looking at the next in line for the throne. Wakanda expects Shuri to take on the mantle of ...more
Published May 7th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Shuri, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Maia Although it's aimed at older readers, I don't see anything in it that I would find objectionable for an 11 year old.

Start your review of Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther
David Schaafsma
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A favorite character from the film The Black Panther, Shuri is TChallas science/techno phenom sister, and the character Nigerian-American, Afro-futurist magical fantasy writer Nnedi Okorafor creates is both consistent with that film version, a good thing, and something like Binti from her now non-comics series.

On a space mission T'Challah and Manifold disappear, and Princess Shuri has to decide what her primary responsibility at the moment is: Sister, scientist, public leader? Wakanda expects
Scott
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I still don't know where my brother is. And . . . there's now a giant electricity-eating bug heading for Wakanda." (pause) "One disaster at a time." -- Shuri, just having another 'one of those days'

Charming and energetic tale starring Black Panther's younger sister, the technological genius and adventure-seeking youngest sibling in Wakanda's royal family. (Shuri was played to perfection in the 2018 big-screen Black Panther feature by the adorable Letitia Wright, and she also had quick cameo
Chad
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
Black Panther disappears in a wormhole leaving Shuri to fill in as Wakanda's protector, I guess. The story just kinds of meanders from meaningless distraction to meaningless distraction. The worst was when Shuri astral projects into Groot. The big villain of this book seems to be a giant space grasshopper. Certainly not very interesting. Leonardo Romero's art is very plain and bland. I have to consider this a disappointment given the big time novelist writing it.
Mir
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Although this is listed as Volume 1 it appears to take place within a larger ongoing story involving Black Panther, Manifold, space travel for some secret-to-me purpose, some villain I'd never heard of named Moses Magnum, and other stuff. So, it would probably help to have been reading along and not just pick up this book because you like Shuri and/or Nnedi Okorafor.

That said, there were lots of fun things going on (almost too many, perhaps). There were multiple relationships, romantic and
Diz
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was OK. Shuri as a character is very likable, and the art is done in a style that I like. However, the story is basically about finding her brother (with no results) and fighting a giant space bug (not a very interesting antagonist). To offset that, this volume has some of the most beautiful comics covers I've seen in a long time.
Artemis
If Shuri is one of your favourite characters in 'Black Panther', if not the number one fave, then check out her solo comic series, which she has well earned. Marvel is taking the right step in putting more female POC characters in the spotlight.

Written by acclaimed writer Nnedi Okorafor, 'Shuri, Vol. 1: The Search For Black Panther' is fun, spiritual, political, and intellectual. It showcases Shuri's can-do attitude and tech wizardry (as well as the gauntlets, she has invented silver wings that
Lata
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun story of Shuri having to deal with her brother's disappearance after he goes to space with another superhero, Manifold.
Everyone wants Shuri to assume the Black Panther mantle while T'Challa is away/lost, and she just wants to do things her way. She has a series of adventures, dealing with problems, and runs into Rocket and Groot (it was cool reading what Groot actually means when he talks!)
I was a little lost as I haven't read the preceding Wakanda stories, but Shuri's a favourite of mine,
Stewart Tame
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
From the pages of Black Panther: It's Shuri!

This was fun. The Black Panther goes missing while on a space mission investigating a wormhole. I know hell be back. You know hell be back. Shuri certainly knows hell be back. But the pressures on from multiple fronts--including her mother--to fill in as the new Black Panther until he returns. What's the worst that could happen? Of course the last time she filled in for him she, you know, DIED.

Did you really expect the story to start at the beginning
Benji Glaab
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5🌟

I was intrigued since I've been meaning to listen to Okorafor's Binti stories on audio for a while. Unfortunately I found this on the boring side. There wasn't much meat to the story, however there were some fun ideas along the way and there was work put into building Shuri up as a character. There is a decent foundation for future volumes. We need to find out where T'challa and Manifold disappeared to. Shuri has employed the likes of Tony Stark and Rocket. Let's see if they can come up with
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Shuri was one of my standout favorites from the Black Panther film, so the fact that she gets her own comic series meant this was a no-brainer for me. I loved seeing her holding her own alongside Ramonda, Okoye, Storm, and Iron Man after her brother disappeared into space. The story was excellent and the various covers were all stunning. Looking forward to the next collection!
Rod Brown
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Overall, I'm enjoying Okorafor's comic books, but this is her least successful for me so far. With all the running around, slam-bang adventure, and exposition-heavy introduction of side characters, I just felt Shuri's personality fell through the cracks. Nothing in here really got me to root for her as the star of the book. Maybe next volume...
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
When T'Challah and Manifold go missing during a space mission, Princess Shuri is desperate to locate them before the world learns that Black Panther has disappeared, which would put the safety of Wakanda at risk. Shuri must make some tough decisions to protect her country and her family while searching for her brother.
With a little help from Storm and some guest appearances by Rocket, Groot, and Iron Man, Shuri begins an epic journey with guidance from the ancient ones and kicks some butt along
Ronald
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, marvel-comics
This was an entertaining read. Shuri and a number of characters associated with Black Panther come along for the ride. I'm afraid they are trying to make this character into the movie version. Otherwise good super heroic stuff!
RG
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I seem to be the only one not liking this. The art just isnt detailed enough. Its like its been drawn for children. The plot just either goes really weird or nowhere. I mean Groot wtf.
Marta
This is a fun, action-filled story, as far as Shuris metarphosis into Black Panther is concerned, with amazing art. I especially enjoyed the African art, costumes and cities.

However, the story of a small black hole in the desert is beyond ridiculous. I read some of this to my husband and he begged me to stop - it was too painful. Yep, stand next to a black hole and accelerate it. Oh yeah, and with seismic powers, you can survive inside a singularity. Oh, and speed it up with stuff from your
Ma'Belle
Aww man, I was REALLY excited for this book. I love Shuri and the other characters that have been developed for so long and recently leveled-up by Ta Nehisi-Coates. The character design and art are great. Sadly, I can't even give this two measly stars, it had me rolling my eyes and blowing raspberries in the air in disappointment so much by the end. I'm okay with superhero comic books aiming for entry-level accessibility and making some movie tie-ins, but this whole story is very much like the ...more
Alan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Another Marvel character receives a minor re-boot as the company syncs the character's comics and movie continuity (which from a business perspective is a good idea).

And, for me the reboot works. I've read one prior TPB when Shuri was the Black Panther. Shuri's portrayal didn't work for me at all. That Shuri came off as hot-headed, immature, and in many ways not effective.

The movie plus a change in writers breathes much needed new life in the portrayal of the character. Much like the movie
Bogi Takács
Really enjoyed the political aspects, Shuri struggling with responsibility, etc. The book addressed some things that I'd been wondering about re: Wakanda. But I felt the Rocket & Groot cameo did not match the style of the rest and didn't really work for me. I'll still read the next volume! Also, now the sharp change in setting between Black Panther vol. 5 and 6 makes sense, so if you were also confused by that, here is the explanation.

_______
Source of the book: Lawrence Public Library
Lucille
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Shuri: The Search for Black Panther is really great at summarising what had happened to Shuri and Wakanda in previous stories while still launching the present volume with a simple starting point: TChalla goes to space and goes missing after two weeks.
The colourful life in Wakanda, Shuris technological experiments, a mysterious internet friend, the women of Wakanda the first issue manages to introduce many elements without any rush and while keeping the plot moving steadily. Author Nnedi
Renata
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
(read as single issues)

Do I feel like this all tied into something I hadn't read or didn't remember? yes

Did I enjoy it anyway? also yes

I especially loved the focus on women's backchannels and Wakanda's role in pan-African issues. And also the guest visits from Tony Stark, Rocket, and Groot were very charming.
Dakota Morgan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shuri should really be subtitled "The Search for Black Panther...and Numerous Meaningless Distractions". Primarily, Shuri astral projects into Groot (?) and joins Rocket to fight off an energy-sucking cosmic praying mantis (??) that eventually creates a black hole in the Sahara (???). In case it wasn't clear, that plotline was not exactly a winner.

Shuri is otherwise plenty enjoyable, though. Shuri is smart, funny, and instantly likeable (although not nearly as feisty and clever as her film
Juniper Nichols
A very promising start! Nnedi manages to blend the youthful energy of the movie version with the complicated powers and backstory of the comics by Coates et al. I loved the pestering masks who call her Ancient Future, reminds me a bit of Akata Witch. Its Shuris time to shine. Sharp graphics, too! ...more
Dan
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
okay read...could have been better. The search for T'challa is only so exciting. And even an Iron Man appearance didn't make it any better.
Alex Sarll
Nnedi Okorafor's third Black Panther spin-off, but the one most closely tied to the parent book, running in tandem with Ta-Nehisi Coates' Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda arc (which I've yet to read). It has one of the best art teams with which she's been paired thus far; Romero and Bellaire give the comic a look at once classic yet not remotely retro, with a whole other manga vibe for the flashbacks, and another style again for the offbeat team-up with some other characters familiar to MCU fans. ...more
Siria
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, by-poc
A readable if largely tension-free arc about Shuri's search for her brother, T'Challa, who is lost in space. The story is accessible to someone like me who only knows Shuri and Black Panther through the MCU, although there were some things I just had to roll with (Shuri died at some point? But then got better? And is now several birds? Comics!).

I liked the emphasis on not just Wakanda, but several other countries in Africa, as their own distinct places. Given that, though, I was a bit thrown to
Michelle
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I'm always going to be down for superhero comics with POC leads (especially female POC!) and this has the added bonus of featuring a female main character who's super into science/STEM. However, if I'm being completely honest with myself, the story in these issues just did not capture my attention. The issues involving the astral projecting gone awry and Shuri/Groot were especially boring.

The ending of the last issue has me intrigued to see where the series goes though.
Florine
Excellent!
I don't know much about comics & the Marvel universe, but I really loved it. Nnedi writing this is the best thing that could have happened to Shuri. Nnedi's books are very entrenched in African culture and technology, and that's exactly what Wakanda is all about! It's seamless. I love love love how she brought her universe & background to the story, with the wilderness, the wings, the cicada, the high tech...
If you liked Shuri in the Black Panther movie, you'll like this,
Caitlin
(read 1-5 as single issue comics) This was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed Okorafor's writing and perspective on this slice of Wakanda. The story gets a little wacky, but it really clicks with the world and characters. Looking forward to the next volume!
Megan Sanks
5 stars for teaching me that LED light bulbs can transmit data and for showing Iron Man drinking out of a Captain America mug!
Miranda
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This volume was an enjoyable read even though I would have benefited from reading its predecessors. I suppose it isn't necessary, but I'm going to read them mixed in with Shuri Vol. 2+. (The library will determine the order for me, though.)

Maybe it goes without saying, but Shuri is so cool! I think this volume made her even cooler--didn't think that was possible. And the artwork was gorgeous.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Naomi: Season One
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils
  • War of the Realms: New Agents of Atlas
  • Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America
Nnedi Okorafor is a Nigerian-American author of African-based science fiction and fantasy (Africanfuturism and Africanjujuism). Okorafor has won a Hugo, a Nebula, a World Fantasy Award, and a Locus Award, and her many fans include Neil Gaiman, Rick Riordan, John Green, and Ursula Le Guin. She is writing a series for Marvel about Shuri, Black Panthers sister, and has a number of book-based projects ...more

Shuri (10 books)
  • Shuri (2018-2019) #8
  • Shuri (2018-2019) #9
  • Shuri (2018-2019) #10

Articles featuring this book

Ah, graphic novels—the delightful medium where visual art merges with the written word to create unforgettable stories! This year's titles are...