Start by marking “Vicious (Villains, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vicious (Villains, #1)

Vicious

(Villains #1)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  48,984 ratings  ·  9,631 reviews
Victor and Eli started out as college roommates—brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilit ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Vicious, please sign up.
Tamara Stovall I think YA fans would enjoy the story but there is adult content that would result in an R rating if this were a movie. Cursing (including the F-word)…moreI think YA fans would enjoy the story but there is adult content that would result in an R rating if this were a movie. Cursing (including the F-word) and extreme violence (including violence with firearms and torture).(less)

Emily May
"Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human."

I actually received an 100-page preview of Vicious a few months prior to reading the full version and picked it up with absolutely zero expectations. Then, suddenly, I was catapulted into a world that did more than keep the promises of the blurb - A masterful, twisted tale of ambition, jealousy, betrayal, and superpowers, set in a near-future world - but also introduced me to a memorable cast of characters,
شيماء ✨
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really wish I had a megaphone so I could accurately get across just how much I fucking love this book.

I have so much of this book in my heart even my body feels too heavy to carry it. This is genuinely the best anti-hero story that I have ever read and now I have to readjust every other expectation in my life just to match it. Honestly. How is there so much in Schwab's mind? All I want is to climb inside and revel at all the brilliance. She didn’t even have to go SO hard on this book but she d
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
*EDIT*
I re-read Vicious for another book club 4 years on and I still really enjoyed it! This time it was closer to a 4 star read - I wanted a little more development with some of the charcters.

First-read rating: 5
Wow.
I absolutely loved Vicious, it kept me hooked right from the get-go and as things got more and more intense, I could not put it down!
I plan on filming a full review soon alongside the #LittleBookClub liveshow, so I will be back with more detailed thoughts!
Verdict: READ IT YO :)
Regan
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT THE HELL EVERYONE IS SO MESSED UP.

BUT THATS WHAT MADE IT SO AMAZING.
Anne
A Tale of Two Sociopaths.
One is just ever so slightly more lovable than the other...

description

This was right up my alley with all the Create-A-Superhero stuff!
The reality, of course, is that neither of these guys are heroes.
Victor and Eli were college roommates who experimented with a theory that Eli had about how Extra Ordinary people were created. Turns out he was right.
Ta-da!

description

Due to some unfortunate factors, Victor's transformation doesn't go quite as smoothly as Eli's. And because of that little sn
Katerina
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katerina by: John Papadopoulos
Vicious (adj.):
1) Having the nature or quality of vice or immorality.
2) Dangerously aggressive, marked by violence or ferocity.
3) Victor Vale.
“Victor was out. Victor was free.
And Victor was coming for Eli - just as he'd promised he would.”

Eli and Victor used to be best friends. Smarter than the rest of the students of Lockland University, they tried to play God. Fascinated by the rumors about EOs, ExtraOrdinary people with supernatural abilities, they studied them at first, but later, they
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
A week or so ago I asked my feed for reading suggestions featuring strong villainous characters, and this book received nearly unanimous acclaim from the majority of my friends who saw the post and responded. Now, normally I kind of hesitate going into anything with high expectations, but I immediately ran out and bought it and now I just have to take a moment to tip my hat to to all my friends who suggested that I read it.

This book was EVERYTHING!

I was so engaged by the story I was dreaded th
jessica
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
on the scale of black to white, this book falls right down the middle. i have never read something so morally grey, so ethically ambiguous, so downright dark and absolutely pleasant at the same time. goodness me, this book was a trip in the best way possible.

i absolutely love the idea of anti-heroes. i love taking characters that we are meant to despise, but end up empathising and somewhat admiring them instead. maybe that makes me personally questionable, but wow. i loved how messed up and arr
amy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
victoria schwab stop emotionally draining me challenge

(i swear to god one day i will write a proper review for this)
C.G. Drews
Reread #2, Sept 2018

Apparently three years is enough to make me forget this book so entirely that it was practically like reading a new book. Which is a smidge disconcerting but OH WELL. Needless to say! The reread was amazing. And it was such moment of good memory feels because this was the first Schwab book I ever tried aww. I think A Darker Shade of Magic is perhaps my favourite of them all though. I actually was surprised how slow this one read. I don't remember it being slow?? But anyhow.

Al
Ashley Nuckles
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was supposed to be reading Six of Crows but left it at work and started this in the meantime and FINISHED IT BECAUSE HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THIS WAS GREAT. I legitimately could not put it down. VE Schwab struck again! The complexity of the characters and the bouncing back and forth on the timeline and oh my goodness, if you're okay with reading about some college kids intentionally trying to kill themselves to get superpowers and maybe becoming accidental villains in the process PLEASE READ THIS ( ...more
Kai
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, owned, 2016
“There are no good men in this game.”

I'm in a Victoria Schwab fever. Can't really blame her though, her novels are amazing!

The most interesting thing about Vicious were its characters with their extraordinary abilities and the fact that there is no "good" main character. Both, protagonist and antagonist do ruthless things and leave a trail of violence and death, one more than the other. But I ended up rooting for some of the side characters and - of course - the dog.
Eli however really disguste
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Vicious is the story of a villain and a hero. Or, that's what it disguises itself as. It's really the story of five different morally grey characters, all out for themselves, battling it out. This is a book that explores the hero / villain dichotomy and promptly shatters it to pieces.
Someone could call themselves a hero and still walk around killing dozens. Someone could be labeled a villain for trying to stop that person. Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play
❄️Nani❄️

Reading about messed up lunatics had never felt better, full satisfaction guaranteed.

A twisted tale of friendships, bitter jealousy, betrayal, loss and ultimately of revenge, Vicious is about Victor and Eli, former friends turned foes who also happen to be deviously cunning in (almost) equal measures.

Neither one can be categorised as simply good or evil and unlike many stories of similar kinds, this is in no way a tale of good vs. evil as there are no good guys in this scenario.
They’re both bo
Melanie

Friends, this is my fifth book by VE Schwab, and I’ve three starred every single one of them. At this point, it is glaringly obvious that you should take my review(s) of her work with a grain of salt, because it is obviously a “me” thing. I will say that I adore the author, and I want so desperately to fall in love with a book of hers. And even though I thought Vicious would be the one, it sadly wasn’t.
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
3.5/3.75*
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
The easiest 5 stars I've ever given. Full review to come! I just need to gather my thoughts.
Raeleen Lemay
re-read in September 2018
STILL GREAT. I can’t wait to jump right into Vengeful.

first read in February 2014

THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING. The writing was beautiful, the characters were complex and the plot kept me on my toes! Such a roller coaster of emotions near the end there, and I NEED THIS TO BE A MOVIE.
Hannah
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favorites
You know that feeling of nostalgia you get when you're reading one of your favorite books?

That's how I felt the whole time I was reading this.

It was like I already knew this world and these characters. And that's not to say that they were bland or stereotypical (because they were extremely complex and compelling), but it was as if they were already somehow part of my life.

I don't even have the words to describe how much I loved this. It was perfect, absolutely perfect.
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Victoria Schwab
Shelves: audible
"If no one else agrees with you, chances are you're wrong."

If it's wrong to be in love with Victor Vale then I don't want to be right.

Seriously guys, how did you all read this years ago and wait patiently for Vengeful to be published? In all honesty, I never put this one off because of the delayed sequel; in fact, I put it off for so long because hyped books + me typically don't end well. This is one of the VERY few cases where the hype actually is understated. It is precisely the type of book
Helena ✰ FC
BRILLIANT. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. I BLOODY LOVED THIS.

I thought this would be a lot more X-Men ish with tonnes of fight scenes and action sequences, but this was more of a psychological debate over good vs evil. I began the novel preferring Eli, and ended it rooting for Victor. I still can’t say which is the hero and which is the villain, considering that neither of them have any qualms about killing other people. They’re both equally evil psychopaths. I also adored the entire supporting cast, in
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 3.5

This is a book about superheroes---or rather, antiheroes, that started off wonderfully, but gradually wandered into genericville territory. It was still very good, but I'm still left with a sense of disappointment. The characters in this book didn't live up to my expectations, or to their own potential. It was the equivalent of a movie-based comic book adaptation, and granted, there have been pretty amazing ones...but still, this is a book. A book has so much more potential for
☽Luna☾
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5

“But these words people threw around - humans, monsters, heroes, villains - to Victor it was all just a matter of semantics. Someone could call themselves a hero and still walk around killing dozens. Someone else could be labeled a villain for trying to stop them. Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human.”

Okay so I have always wanted to read vicious, I swear I've had it on my tbr since I was born. Why? Well because that blurb sounded oh so
Angela
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-favorites
“Be lost. Give up. Give In. in the end It would be better to surrender before you begin. be lost. Be lost And then you will not care if you are ever found.”

I've  heard all over Goodreads about how amazing VE Schwab is. How everything she writes is amazing. With the hype came me putting off reading this book. So, when Sandra picked this book out for us to buddy read I was happy that I would finally get around to it.

Vicious follows Victor and Eli who were best friends and college roommates. Whe
Cait • A Page with a View
These little sociopathic superheroes were so delightfully messed up.

I really don't know what to say about this that wouldn't spoil something because just the way everything unfolds makes it almost a mystery. The story jumps back and forth between the past and present (and various characters) and totally felt like a puzzle. Like you get little pieces here and there... and when you finally start to see the bigger picture or guess what it is, it's like WHAAAAT

Plus, the pacing was so well done -- i
Jessica
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
Full Video Book Discussion

This book was incredible! One of my new favorites of the year!
I was interested from the beginning and I was pleased that Victoria Schwab's writing style was just as good as I remembered! I loved the way this was written with all of the flashbacks and I think that really added a lot to the story. So good. Highly recommend!
Fabian
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see how anyone (especially a younger-type millennial Anyone) who hasn't seen the early 90s Roberts-Sutherland-Baldwin thriller "Flatliners"* COULD be moved by this (you know, young 'uns playing with Death & stuff), a work of serious unoriginality. Another "X-Men"? No-oh thanks. (Unless, of course, you are under 30 & haven't yet gotten your fill of "Extra O rdinary" people [hint: as much as you want to deny this, every person on earth is an EveryPerson... No one's born "special," y' ...more
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Eli and Victor are college roommates. I can't say that they are friends, because both of them are arseholes. We'll pretend they are friends.
Eli starts a thesis about EO's or Extra-ordinaries. Those are those people with extra super gifts after they "came back" from the dead.

So what do these two do? They decide to try it themselves.
It frigging works.

Ten years later Victor gets out of prison. (I give nothing away!! You have to read it) and comes after Eli.
Eli meanwhile decides that he is the
R.K. Gold
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always my review WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS so if that bothers you stop reading now and just know I rated this book 5 stars.

If you are continuing I assume you've read it already or spoilers do not bother you.

I am starting here to give you enough lines to contemplate if spoilers bother you. Anyway, yeah, I loved this book. It's the first book since January I've read and instantly knew it had to be five stars. No debate or hovering over the starts, certainly no wishing there was a half star button;
Sabrina The Trash Queen
➳ I think is time for me to find out who is this morally grey character that everyone loves.

➳ Why did nobody told me that Victor is hot? Like what?
That’s completely unexpected.

• The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • One (One Universe, #1)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • How to Lead a Life of Crime
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
  • Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
  • Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Love in the Time of Global Warming (Love in the Time of Global Warming, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Endsinger (The Lotus Wars, #3)
  • Tsarina
  • Quintessence
  • London Falling (Shadow Police, #1)
  • Premeditated
  • Charm & Strange
  • The Waking Dark
V.E. Schwab is a pseudonym of Victoria Schwab.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Villains (2 books)
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
“Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human.” 1316 likes
“When no one understands, that's usually a good sign that you're wrong.” 569 likes