Start by marking “Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)” as Want to Read:
Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)

Wolf Pack

(Joe Pickett #19)

Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett encounters bad behavior on his own turf--only to have the FBI and the DOJ ask him to stand down.

The good news is that Joe Pickett has his job back, after his last adventure in The Disappeared. The bad news is that he's come to learn that a drone is killing wildlife--and the drone belongs to a mysterious and wealthy man whose grandson is dati
Published March 12th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Pack, please sign up.
Sue Yes, it is. You can find it on Amazon.

Cindy Burnett
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Joe Pickett is back in his 19th adventure in the series, and C.J. Box shows no signs of slacking off even the slightest bit. Wolf Pack is an outstanding addition to the series, and Pickett tackles dual issues as he frequently does – one timely (often environmental) issue and one more straightforward mystery. The current issue in Wolf Pack is the use of drones to herd animals, sometimes to harass them and other times to lead them to their slaughter. When Joe identifies the drone operator a
Monnie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 19th in the author's series featuring Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett, and having read them all, it's one of the best, I think. Granted, it leans a bit more toward the dark side with some really nasty characters, but the story was so intriguing - and moved along so quickly - that I kept pushing to get to the conclusion as fast as I could.

After losing his job at the conclusion of the previous book, Joe is back in the saddle again, this time out in the wilds investigating leg hold trap
Rex Fuller
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, that went fast. Probably Box's best written. Very tight and smooth.

Not sure what I can say about the content without spoilers. Maybe a couple of teases: there are two eponymous wolf packs, and only one is of gray wolves. Nate Romanowski's birds play a key role. And Joe and and Marybeth's last daughter remaining at home, Lucy, is in the line of fire.

If you're a fan, you'll like it a lot. So will you if you're new and it'll probably start you on the whole series.
LJ
First Sentence: For Wyoming Game Warden Katelyn Hamm, April really was the cruelest month.

Game Warden Joe Pike has his job back, a new house, and another new truck. He and neighboring game warden Katelyn Hamm also have a big problem with someone using a large drone to kill herds of animals. It becomes more complicated when Joe learns that Lucy, one of his daughters is dating the son of the very wealthy man named Hill who owns the drone, and when Joe receives orders from above to leave Hill alone
Leather
Mar 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I think I've read almost all of CJ Box's books, which is a talented author that I really enjoy.
He has only one big weak point: the credibility of his stories is sometimes at the limit of the acceptable, he has from time to time recourse to the facility of happy chance. And, more rarely, CJ Box gratifies us with an incongruous story, which defies logic.
Wolf Pack is the perfect example of this bad side of CJ Box.
From the beginning we know that it will not be a great Joe Pickett: the story is scatt
Jacqui
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Wolf Pack (G.P. Putnam 2019), C.J. Box's nineteenth in the wildly-popular Joe Pickett series, Wyoming Game Warden Joe Pickett is back to work patrolling the beautiful loneliness of the Wyoming wilds thanks to the legal efforts of the former Wyoming governor and the ineptitude of the new one.

"...cold hard rain to Winchester with dark storm clouds pressing down on him and obscuring the mountains."

"The stream had jumped the banks, and water pooled within stands of willows and around the trunks o
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...the wolf, which hunts in a pack, has a greater chance of survival than the lion, which hunts alone. - Christian Lous Lange

I love this series and I love this author. I've read almost everything written by him, including all of this lengthy series, and he never disappoints (and I'm working on catching up on the couple of books I've missed after I finish this review). Wyoming happens to be one of my favorite states too so that adds a lot of appeal.

This is book #19 in the Joe Pickett series abou
Val
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, crime, series
Whew! What a book!! This novel's murderous wolf pack is two-legged kind. Joe finds himself in the most violent and dangerous predicament he’s ever faced. I don't want to write anything that would give the plot of this book away so I'll leave it at that.

I have to say that reading one of Box’s new books and following Joe, Marybeth, and Nate Romanowski, is like catching up with old friends one hasn't seen in a while.

I highly recommend this book AND this series!!
Chris Conley
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Each of these books is more wonderful than the others!! This story is riveting.
Roger King
Apr 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
High Body Count

Open items from the last book in the series where how Joe was going to deal with his overbearing mother-in-law and her buddy the governor and his obnoxious chief aide.

Well, offscreen the the governor succumbs to #metoo issues, the aide high tails it back to Washington, and the mother-in-law goes on a world cruise.

That leaves the plot clear for some Mexican cartel enforcers to come through and overflow the morgue with witness-in-protection targets along with the collateral damage
Steve
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Steve by: Library
Shelves: library, mystery, thriller
This book is good, but not one of his best.
It was very engaging though. So much that I read it in two sittings in one day.
Donna
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting on this latest book to come out for a year and I am not disappointed!

Wyoming Game Warden Joe Pickett has been re-instated in his job since the last book with a raise, a new state residence and a new pickup truck. For those who follow Joe, let me reassure you that he doesn't wreck the truck in this book. Give him time.

The neighboring game warden Katelyn Hamm spots a drone herding mule deer into a frenzy and alerts Joe that the pilot headed in his direction. Katelyn makes some i
Freda Witt
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Heike
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the other side of the Big Horn Mountains Joe's game warden colleague witnesses a drone chasing livestock, while in Arizona a criminal group, the Wolf Pack, interrogates and kills a seemingly random senior citizen. Meanwhile someone leaves traps unattended and out of season in the mountains. Joe begins to investigate, and in typical Box-fashion coincidences happen and pretty soon Nate and Joe are in the middle of brutal action.
I liked this book in the series, it was fast paced, ridiculous but
LInda L
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Joe Pickett and I love that he got his job back. Lots of bad stuff was going down in his county, most of which I cannot even allude to without giving something away. C.J.Box did a fantastic job of tying together wolves in the wild with Wolf Pack, the people. As usual, Nate is there for whoever needs him -- and thank goodness for that, especially in this case -- and he and his raptors are just wonderful, as is his girlfriend. Marybeth is perfect -- as always -- and only one daughter is sti ...more
Nicholle
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes these are just a bit off the top of his game, but not this one.
---
2019 Extreme Book Nerd Challenge - Book set in a favorite location of yours (Wyoming/Big Horns)
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Someone is using a drone to chase and destroy elk in Wyoming. As Joe Pickett and another game warden work the case the FBI steps in to halt the investigation. A murder squad moves into Pickett's district in their hunt for a former cartel officer. As usual, fast paced action.
Ellie
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and for the first time there is a female game warden. Great read.
Marilynn B Cushman
As good as it gets

I love How Pickett, his family, friends and story plots. C J Box describes the land so that feel like I'm there. Hard to wait for the next book.
Kirsten
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I have been counting the days for CJ Box to release a new Joe Pickett, since attending his appearance/Author Night at St. Louis County, MO Library last year for Disappeared.

As a librarian, I have recommended him to many friends and patrons that we have Joe and Nate talks. I was ecstatic to get an advanced copy. I already have shelf prepped and ready and told library patrons that Wolf Pack is coming. Many are rereading the previous books in the series in anticipation.

I started reading and I cou
Linda
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being that this is the 19th entry in this series I keep thinking that the next one is not going to be as good as previous ones. Well boy was I wrong again! This series just keeps getting better and to have Joe Pickett back on his home turf and in his old job is perfect for what he finds himself up against this time. There is an evil set of killers roaming the mountains and Joe finds himself right in the middle of a situation he doesn’t understand at first.

Another incredible read and let me leav
Jay
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Back on the job after winning a lawsuit against the governor that tried to fire him, Joe Pickett is just going about his duties as a Wyoming Game Warden.

But this being Joe Pickett, trouble is never far away. When fellow Game Warden Katelyn Hamm asks for his help tracking the owner of a drone that caused the death of wildlife in her region, Joe soon discovers that the person is question is the father of his daughter Lucy's boyfriend.

But when Joe confronts him with this information, the man is sur
L Moreno
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thoughts on this one are a little scrambled. I love all of the Pickett series but I'm not sure this would be considered my favorite. Forget the bloodshed, the torture of unlikable characters, etc - I'm not really sure I like where our main beloved characters are heading! I realize they grow older and kids move on to college and people change. But Nate? Seriously? Nate is supposed to continue being our vigilante, violence-solves-everything anti-hero! I was also VERY disappointed with what happ ...more
Shari
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joe has his job back and the Ten Sleep territory that has always been his, plus his badge number. Ex-Gov. Rulon, now a practicing attorney has taken Joe's case which was prompted by the vilification that Gov. Allen heaped upon Joe, vilifying Gov. Allen in order to reinstate Joe. Not only did Joe survive all this, he and Marybeth got a new state home with more bedrooms and bathrooms, just in time for their youngest daughter to be heading off to college in the near future. They will soon be empty- ...more
Stacy Blomquist
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I've read every book in the Joe Pickett series, but this one has a few too many coincidences to please me. Of course Lucy is dating the son of the drone operator who has been disturbing herds of elk and mule deer. I snatched the book off the shelf without reading the dust jacket. Buying Joe Pickett novels is a long-established habit. I'm glad that I did so, because, in fact, you can guess most of the other pertinent plot details if you just read the dust cover. I guessed why the FBI warned Joe o ...more
Donna Hines
I've read many fab reviews. I've heard many great things about CJ Box. I wanted so much to enjoy this book partly because I'm a tomboy at heart, grew up in rural area, lived on lake front property most my life, and enjoy the outdoors and natural beauty.
However, this one was not for me.
Three men and 1 women are known as the Wolf Pack.
Joe gets his job back but a drone is killing wildlife which is being operated by a wealthy man whose son is dating Joe's daughter Lucy.
While the plot falters the st
kathy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I'm riding next to Daisy, Joe's faithful dog, in the front seat of his truck out in the wilds of Wyoming searching for the next thug who is up to no good. I read Disappeared first, based on a friend's recommendation of this author, then got Wolf Pack which was a loose sequel. C.J. Box treats the female characters unlike most authors, they are strong, determined and pretty capable with weaponry or leading specialized cartel hit squads.
I'm someone who can never figure out mysteries or
Rob
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
On a Western kick, this time it’s one of my favorite “go-to” authors, C. J. Box, with another Wyoming thriller. “Wolf Pack” is a tightly crafted story where Box makes you “smell that sawmill burner and feel the cold of a Wyoming blizzard.” After a brief suspension, Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett is back on the job, investigating four vicious killers working on behalf of a Mexican drug cartel. Up against the FBI and DOJ, this may be the most violent and dangerous predicament Pickett has ever fac ...more
J.J. Rusz
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Wolf Pack” is C. J. Box at his absolute best. I thought the long-running series was in decline after “Vicious Circle” and “The Disappeared.” But this latest book represents a full turnaround. Most readers will finish this compelling novel in one or two sittings.

Its plot is intricate, relentless, and up-date; the good guys are nuanced; and the villains come in various forms—some plain evil, others merely contemptible. No surprise then that there’s lots of violence in the story. But killing—whet
Carol
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Had to give Box five stars on this one. I think maybe his best novel to date and I have read all nineteen in the Joe Pickett series. Joe is getting older and he and Marybeth will be alone with the last daughter going off to college soon. Joe got his job back..again. Someone is using a drone to harass the wildlife and some strangers have come to town keeping Joe and Nate on high alert.
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole #18; Joe Pike #7)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • The Fourth Man (Jack Reacher, #23.5)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Set Fire to the Gods (Set Fire to the Gods, #1)
  • Celtic Empire (Dirk Pitt, #25)
  • Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
  • The Malta Exchange (Cotton Malone, #14)
  • The Demon World (The Smoke Thieves, #2)
  • The Chosen (Contender, #1)
  • Nexus (The Androma Saga #2)
  • Untitled (Untitled Trilogy, #3)
  • Untitled (Gates of Thread and Stone, #3)
  • I'm Fine and Neither Are You
  • We Told Six Lies
  • Crooked Street (Frost Easton #3)
  • Unsolved (Invisible #2)
  • Land on Fire: The New Reality of Wildfire in the West
C. J. Box is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels including the Joe Pickett series. He won the Edgar Alan Poe Award for Best Novel (Blue Heaven, 2009) as well as the Anthony Award, Prix Calibre 38 (France), the Macavity Award, the Gumshoe Award, two Barry Awards, and the 2010 Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association Award for fiction. He was recently awarded the ...more

Joe Pickett (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Open Season (Joe Pickett, #1)
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
  • Winterkill (Joe Pickett, #3)
  • Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4)
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • In Plain Sight (Joe Pickett, #6)
  • Free Fire (Joe Pickett, #7)
  • Blood Trail (Joe Pickett, #8)
  • Below Zero (Joe Pickett, #9)
  • Nowhere To Run (Joe Pickett, #10)
“A Wyoming vegetarian is someone who only eats meat once a day.” 0 likes
“was brown from being soaked. Joe thanked him as he passed by. “Murder/suicide, huh?” 0 likes