Start by marking “Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)” as Want to Read:
Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)

Wolf Pack

(Joe Pickett #19)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  10,372 ratings  ·  1,026 reviews
Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett encounters bad behavior on his own turf--only to have the FBI and the DOJ ask him to stand down.

The good news is that Joe Pickett has his job back, after his last adventure in The Disappeared. The bad news is that he's come to learn that a drone is killing wildlife--and the drone belongs to a mysterious and wealthy man whose grandson is dati
Published March 12th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

·  10,372 ratings  ·  1,026 reviews

Start your review of Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett, #19)
Cindy Burnett
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Joe Pickett is back in his 19th adventure in the series, and C.J. Box shows no signs of slacking off even the slightest bit. Wolf Pack is an outstanding addition to the series, and Pickett tackles dual issues as he frequently does – one timely (often environmental) issue and one more straightforward mystery. The current issue in Wolf Pack is the use of drones to herd animals, sometimes to harass them and other times to lead them to their slaughter. When Joe identifies the drone operator a
Rex Fuller
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, that went fast. Probably Box's best written. Very tight and smooth.

Not sure what I can say about the content without spoilers. Maybe a couple of teases: there are two eponymous wolf packs, and only one is of gray wolves. Nate Romanowski's birds play a key role. And Joe and and Marybeth's last daughter remaining at home, Lucy, is in the line of fire.

If you're a fan, you'll like it a lot. So will you if you're new and it'll probably start you on the whole series.
Monnie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 19th in the author's series featuring Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett, and having read them all, it's one of the best, I think. Granted, it leans a bit more toward the dark side with some really nasty characters, but the story was so intriguing - and moved along so quickly - that I kept pushing to get to the conclusion as fast as I could.

After losing his job at the conclusion of the previous book, Joe is back in the saddle again, this time out in the wilds investigating leg hold trap
Leather
Mar 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
I think I've read almost all of CJ Box's books, which is a talented author that I really enjoy.
He has only one big weak point: the credibility of his stories is sometimes at the limit of the acceptable, he has from time to time recourse to the facility of happy chance. And, more rarely, CJ Box gratifies us with an incongruous story, which defies logic.
Wolf Pack is the perfect example of this bad side of CJ Box.
From the beginning we know that it will not be a great Joe Pickett: the story is scatt
Adrienne
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
In my opinion C J Box's best book featuring Game Warden Joe Pickett. His family and friend Nate feature as usual. This time the FBI, some WITSEC persons, vengeance from the Sinaloa cartel and more local personnel feature too.
A beautifully crafted story and beautifully written. Unputdownable.
LJ
First Sentence: For Wyoming Game Warden Katelyn Hamm, April really was the cruelest month.

Game Warden Joe Pike has his job back, a new house, and another new truck. He and neighboring game warden Katelyn Hamm also have a big problem with someone using a large drone to kill herds of animals. It becomes more complicated when Joe learns that Lucy, one of his daughters is dating the son of the very wealthy man named Hill who owns the drone, and when Joe receives orders from above to leave Hill alon
Alex Cantone
The last of the sun was ballooning over the western horizon before sliding behind the mountains. It infused the light with a soft bronze glow that painted the street as well as the sides of buildings.

Wolf Pack is the nineteenth in the series featuring Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett, based in the small town of Saddlestring, loving husband of Marybeth and proud father of 3 daughters, the youngest, Lucy, about to leave the nest. It is late April, a time of unsettled weather, and the Pickett’s are
Suzanne
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Crazy, fast pace read! One of my favorite in the series so far. I couldn’t read it fast enough and even let laundry pile up today to read because the suspense of the Hill family was something I could not wait for the reveal. Bug changes in the end for the character landscapes and I am interested in seeing where Box takes it after Lone Range. Very good read!
Val
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, crime, 2019
Whew! What a book!! This novel's murderous wolf pack is two-legged kind. Joe finds himself in the most violent and dangerous predicament he’s ever faced. I don't want to write anything that would give the plot of this book away so I'll leave it at that.

I have to say that reading one of Box’s new books and following Joe, Marybeth, and Nate Romanowski, is like catching up with old friends one hasn't seen in a while.

I highly recommend this book AND this series!!
Chris Conley
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Each of these books is more wonderful than the others!! This story is riveting.
Tim
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: box-c-j, pickett
WOLF PACK is the 19th book in the “Joe Pickett” series by author C.J. Box, and begins with a female game officer in an area that borders the one managed by Joe experiencing a drone operated by someone unknown who is terrorizing game with it that leads to the death and destruction of several of them, whereupon she consults with Joe to enlist his aid in her investigation.

Joe is offered the services of Nate Romanowski, his lifelong sworn protector of both Joe and his family with a past in special o
Jacqui
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Wolf Pack (G.P. Putnam 2019), C.J. Box's nineteenth in the wildly-popular Joe Pickett series, Wyoming Game Warden Joe Pickett is back to work patrolling the beautiful loneliness of the Wyoming wilds thanks to the legal efforts of the former Wyoming governor and the ineptitude of the new one.

"...cold hard rain to Winchester with dark storm clouds pressing down on him and obscuring the mountains."

"The stream had jumped the banks, and water pooled within stands of willows and around the trunks o
Donna
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting on this latest book to come out for a year and I am not disappointed!

Wyoming Game Warden Joe Pickett has been re-instated in his job since the last book with a raise, a new state residence and a new pickup truck. For those who follow Joe, let me reassure you that he doesn't wreck the truck in this book. Give him time.

The neighboring game warden Katelyn Hamm spots a drone herding mule deer into a frenzy and alerts Joe that the pilot headed in his direction. Katelyn makes some i
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...the wolf, which hunts in a pack, has a greater chance of survival than the lion, which hunts alone. - Christian Lous Lange

I love this series and I love this author. I've read almost everything written by him, including all of this lengthy series, and he never disappoints (and I'm working on catching up on the couple of books I've missed after I finish this review). Wyoming happens to be one of my favorite states too so that adds a lot of appeal.

This is book #19 in the Joe Pickett series abou
Julie
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great tale by C.J. Box. Amazing his 19th book in the series and he has not let us down yet as so many authors do. Sadly, the next book will be missing some of my favorites. RIP
Barry
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wolf Pack is another fine book by CJ Box, one of the most consistently good mystery/thriller writers out there - out where?, hell, I dunno, there!

As I have said before, Box's stories are set in the mountains of Wyoming but could well have occurred in San Francisco, the Everglades or Paris. They are such well-written stories that the setting is truly irrelevant.

Wolf Pack is the 19th in the Joe Pickett series. Joe, a Wyoming fish and game warden, is joined by recurring characters, his wife Maryb
Steve
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Steve by: Library
Shelves: library, thriller, mystery
This book is good, but not one of his best.
It was very engaging though. So much that I read it in two sittings in one day.
Roger King
Apr 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
High Body Count

Open items from the last book in the series where how Joe was going to deal with his overbearing mother-in-law and her buddy the governor and his obnoxious chief aide.

Well, offscreen the the governor succumbs to #metoo issues, the aide high tails it back to Washington, and the mother-in-law goes on a world cruise.

That leaves the plot clear for some Mexican cartel enforcers to come through and overflow the morgue with witness-in-protection targets along with the collateral damage
LInda L
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Joe Pickett and I love that he got his job back. Lots of bad stuff was going down in his county, most of which I cannot even allude to without giving something away. C.J.Box did a fantastic job of tying together wolves in the wild with Wolf Pack, the people. As usual, Nate is there for whoever needs him -- and thank goodness for that, especially in this case -- and he and his raptors are just wonderful, as is his girlfriend. Marybeth is perfect -- as always -- and only one daughter is sti ...more
Tracy
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-cd
Excellent! One of my favorite of the series, thus far. Lots of exciting changes taking and/or took place with many of the main characters. A genuine action-packed mystery/thriller delivered in top form by the phenomenal author, C.J. Box and narrator, David Chandler! #Dynamic-Duo!

Looking forward to Bitterroots (A Cassie Dewell novel) which is scheduled for release on August 19, 2019. = )
Ellie
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and for the first time there is a female game warden. Great read.
Pop
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Joe Picket. Really not even believable. Entertaining only but just some what.
Michael
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
19 books about Joe. Wow! And not a bad one in the bunch in my opinion. That doesn't mean I agree with everything Mr. Box seems to support in his stories but those are minor overall and don't detract from the fine writing, the intricate and interesting plots that he devises or the rare bloopers - and it disappoints me when I don't find any in a story. No, not that I care to belittle Mr. Box's work, just that they are fun and considering how much pen to paper (well, more likely fingers to keyboard ...more
June
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series never fails to impress me with its breathtaking description of Wyoming and the wild life that roam it. I just adore Nate and his amazing falcons; the subject absolutely fascinates me and I literally absorb every detail.

This book took up my afternoon since I didn't want to put it down. It seems an unknown and unlicensed drone was spotted frightening and killing a range of mule deer and elk as they frantically ran over each other to get away.

It gets complicated as the mysterious drone
Lo9man88
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this episode, we see a lot of new things: an elk and moose herding drone, a female game warden, a cartel hit team causing havoc in Saddlestring Wyoming and The Falconer getting married! I don't know what to say...
Freda Witt
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Heike
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the other side of the Big Horn Mountains Joe's game warden colleague witnesses a drone chasing livestock, while in Arizona a criminal group, the Wolf Pack, interrogates and kills a seemingly random senior citizen. Meanwhile someone leaves traps unattended and out of season in the mountains. Joe begins to investigate, and in typical Box-fashion coincidences happen and pretty soon Nate and Joe are in the middle of brutal action.
I liked this book in the series, it was fast paced, ridiculous but
Marilynn B Cushman
As good as it gets

I love How Pickett, his family, friends and story plots. C J Box describes the land so that feel like I'm there. Hard to wait for the next book.
Nicholle
Sometimes these are just a bit off the top of his game, but not this one.
---
2019 Extreme Book Nerd Challenge - Book set in a favorite location of yours (Wyoming/Big Horns)
K
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Standard fare for C.J. Box and his Joe Pickett series. I was fond of these early on, but confess to having taken a break from them for a while, as I thought they were basically becoming the "same song, different verse" kind of stories.

In Wolf Pack, we have the usual Joe Pickett story, with Nate Romanowski around to step in and save the day, or at least, help save the day. We also get some loose associations with actual wolves, metaphors for the gang of killers that take center stage in this nov

• Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Land of Wolves
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • One Good Deed
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • Depth of Winter (Walt Longmire, #14)
  • The Shameless (Quinn Colson, #9)
  • The Tale Teller
C. J. Box is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels including the Joe Pickett series. He won the Edgar Alan Poe Award for Best Novel (Blue Heaven, 2009) as well as the Anthony Award, Prix Calibre 38 (France), the Macavity Award, the Gumshoe Award, two Barry Awards, and the 2010 Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Association Award for fiction. He was recently awarded the 2016 ...more

Joe Pickett (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Open Season (Joe Pickett, #1)
  • Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2)
  • Winterkill (Joe Pickett, #3)
  • Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4)
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • In Plain Sight (Joe Pickett, #6)
  • Free Fire (Joe Pickett, #7)
  • Blood Trail (Joe Pickett, #8)
  • Below Zero (Joe Pickett, #9)
  • Nowhere To Run (Joe Pickett, #10)