Start by marking “House of Falling Embers” as Want to Read:
House of Falling Embers

House of Falling Embers

Once upon a time there was a witch. She was a kind witch, but that didn’t matter. The people were afraid, and fear often turns to hatred.

When Artemis was thirteen, her best friend Aris was swallowed by the crumbling house they found in the woods. Like a coward, she abandoned him to the horror within.

She moved away. She tried to forget. But when she finds herself back in he
Published October 1st 2018 by The Narcissistic Rose

To ask other readers questions about House of Falling Embers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Falling Embers

Start your review of House of Falling Embers
Blatant  Witch
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publishers for sending me a free ARC via Netgalley

I am so impressed and happy with this book like WOW. It is enjoyable and the build up to the ultimate mystery reveal is slow, intense and intriguing enough to make you keep reading ahead.

Mystery isn't a genre I read often but maybe I should change that cause this book was really good.

So what is this book about>

It's about a girl, Artemis, who has reluctantly moved back to Arrington with her boyfriend. Something very t
Amira
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was provided to me by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
"One upon a time there was a witch. She was a kind witch but that didn't matter. The people were afraid, and fear often turns to hatred."
Well when you start a book description like that, you sure have me hooked.
When Artemis returns back to her hometown for her boyfriend Link, she is convinced that it was a bad idea. She should have stayed away like she planned but now that she is back, she has to deal wi
Jeri
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, e-books
I was very impressed with this book! It was much better than I thought it would be from the blurb. There was a mystery woven into the whole story that draws you in and doesn't let you go. Watch for the twist, it isn't anything you would ever suspect. I think that is what made it so enjoyable! Perfect read for the fall season!

I received an eARC from the publisher through NetGalley.
Chloe Bailey
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn’t really enjoy this book, there will definitely be some readers that really love it though!

Overall, I liked Artemis, I just wish she didnt cry so much, there was also a lot of relationship drama and I was just over it. The house and the Aris, I was all for that, it was so interesting and I wish the story had gone more into them instead of her work and relationship drama!
Tonja Drecker
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has the delightful eeriness of knowing that evil haunts the shadows but not being sure when it will attack...and not being able to stop it.

Artemis lost her best friend and soul mate when she was thirteen in a terrifying tragedy, one that no one wants to believe really happened. But she knows the truth. About a decade later, she returns to the town thanks to her boyfriend's new job, where she again not only comes face to face with all of her memories but the side glances of those who r
Minx
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True Rating 4.5 stars!

House of Falling Embers is the kind of story that stays with you once you have finished the tale, which is just marvelous. I loved the journey that this story took me on with its winding ways between past and present, real and mayhap imagined. It was quite the ride and I absolutely enjoyed reading it. I always know that when I read any book from Author Krystal Jane Ruin that the story will never be as it appears and the ending will always be better than I expected, I just l
Beca
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, The Narcissistic Rose, via NetGalley for an honest review.

I was expecting more out of this book - the description sounded promising making it seem like this was going to be a really good witch/ghost tale.  I just wouldn't describe it as such.

House of Falling Embers is about a girl named Artemis, who lost her boyfriend, Aris, when she was 13.  This happens while searching for the witch’s house from a story Artemis' grandpa told her.  On this
Stephanie Bain
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*i was sent this book for free in exchange for an honest review!*

This book was amazing. The mystery, the tale, its twist on older tales, the characters, the atmosphere! It was written not only beautifully but in a way that makes you keep turning those pages.

I loved Artemis. Her struggles, her fears, her love, she was very real and relatable and i felt for her so much.

Seriously though, if you need a good book for fall pick it up!!!!!!!!!!
Emmie
*This book was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for a honest review*

To those who loves a retelling, specially a Hansel and Gretel's one, this is a masterpiece.

“Once upon a time there was a witch. A kind witch."

When Artemis was younger, she and her friend, Aris, used to love spooking  stories. The ones that would linger in your mind even after it's finished. The ones you'd keep the words to pass on a couple of times. But back then, Aris was always who would tell and Artemis listen, the
Jodi Perkins
I’ve never once read a modern day retelling of Hansel and Gretel, and holy crap this does not disappoint. I love how the witch’s dark tale unravels little by little as the story progresses. The way Krystal Jane Ruin puts an adult spin on the house (i.e. the witch using a “feast” to beckon the teens rather than candy, etc.) is so cool.

I enjoyed both Link and Fenton’s characters. Fenton especially is so fascinating. I didn’t know what to make of him; I didn’t like him for most of the novel, but t
Desiree
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find this novel interesting and I must admit I wasn’t expecting a lot from the story when I started reading. I was even surprised by how much I like it. It turned out to be pretty impressive. A perfect spooky read for Halloween. Not that scary but there’s a lingering eeriness that’s palpable all throughout. The tension buildup was done nicely and we immediately wonder what really happened with Aris and what Artemis got to do with it.

Told in Artemis’ perspective, she is okay as the main charact
Robin
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Michelle
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

Artemis and Aris are soulmates. They may only be young teenagers but they belong together. They love telling each other stories about the woods behind their homes, and there is one particular story that really captures their imagination. It is a story told to Artemis by her Grandfather, about a witch who was run out of town by locals. It is said that the witch escaped to the woods with her cat where she built a new home. But the locals were still unha
desiree  Bergez
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2018
*I was given a copy of House of Falling Embers by The Narcissistic Rose off of NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

“Once upon a time, there was a witch. She was a kind witch, but that didn’t matter. The people were afraid, and fear often turns to hatred. “

I think I was expecting more out of this book. The description sounded promising like it was going to be a really good witch/ghost tale. The story is about a girl named Artemis, who lost her boyfriend when she was 13. They went in search
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
I so wanted to love this one but it just simply fell flat for me. I wanted a cool witch story and the witch wasn't even that big a part of the story. It was mainly about Artemis who lost her best friend/boyfriend when the house swallowed itself and nobody believed her. Now she has moved back with her boyfriend Liam who has them moving into his parents old home which actually use to belong to Aris and his family, so lots of long buried memories surface and she starts seeing strange things.

I think
Storm Reads
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I so wanted to love this one but it just simply fell flat for me. I wanted a cool witch story and the witch wasn’t even that big a part of the story. It was mainly about Artemis who lost her best friend/boyfriend when the house swallowed itself and nobody believed her. Now she has moved back with her boyfriend Liam who has them moving into his parents old home which actually use to belong to Aris and his family, so lots of long buried memories surface and she starts seeing strange things.

I think
Myreadbooks
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank the Netgalley website and The Narcissistic Rose Publishing for this partnership.

I was immediately attracted by the cover of this book, you see it as an abandoned house in the middle of a forest.

We find there Artemis, a nice witch but people are still afraid of her or even hate her. When she was thirteen years old her best friend Aris was swallowed up by a ruined house. She left him there without doing anything. Since then she has moved to forget everything except that when
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"House of Falling Embers" is a book that really stood out to me, not only because of the beautiful cover, but also because of the description. It just sounded so different and interesting, that I couldn't pass up reading it next. At just over 350 pages, this book is a smooth and easy read, and I loved every single page.

Check out my full review here!

Susan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gothic
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC!

The first couple of chapters were hard to get into. I felt the dialogue was a bit awkward and the writing a bit stilted.

By the 6th chapter, I was hooked. The story was SO GOOD. It had a gothic feel - and I could not put it down. It was an "I want to call in sick and just read this book" kind of book for me.

I do wish the Epilogue had been a bit longer...maybe more detailed... But overall 5 stars for me.
Sally Maxwell
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours, for the arc of this book.
I enjoyed this story, it held me from beginning to end, I did think that Fenton was messing with Artemis’s mind and that was going to be the twist, but no.
For once I was pleased for a happy ending, I just wish it had gone into a bit more detail on how everyone reacted.
But overall a really good read.
Julie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Witches and curses, mysterious beings and a long lost love...a perfect read for this time of year. The supernatural quirky twists are creepily written with enough scares to make me want to keep reading. I loved this story!
Elizabeth
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I never know how creepy stories are going to end, which is most of the fun! And that was definitely the case with this. Even though this sounded creepy, I wasn’t expecting it to actually creep me out, but I ended up being super paranoid and anxious about how things would end for Artemis! She fell apart and fought back in such a realistic way. Characters don’t often break down like this in paranormal type books, and I thought it was beautiful. I couldn’t help myself. I wanted so much fo ...more
Michelle Athy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
Artemis is a troubled young woman, who experienced a spooky tragedy in her teen years--she lost her best friend and love of her life--and now, she's moved back to her hometown with her boyfriend and they are building a life together. But Artemis is haunted by her past and by creatures and nightmares--and her boss, who seems to pry into her psychological state and her past.

I liked the fantasy/supernatural elements. The descriptions of them were wonderful and imaginative. There's a lot of relation
Erin
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review. This was a spooky atmospheric read and I fully enjoyed it. We have a scary house with a witch and a love lost. Artemis moves back into her old home and it is bringing up both good and bad memories. Her love was lost in the woods in an old house and no one could find it. She starts seeing him show back up in the woods so she has to go back and save him and confront her fears. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was surprised at how go ...more
Corinne Sparks
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great little book! I thoroughly enjoyed it - the author outdid herself on several occasions. I would say this book is not just YA, but is suitable for a general adult audiences, and that's a commendation. It's hard to bridge the reader audience gap like that. Whilst I feel it's still accessible for ya people, it's also got some very deft layering that adults with a wider world experience will feel connected to.
More specifically, how the protag Artemis deals with trauma. She has a mass
Sally Maxwell
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Xpresso Book Tours, for the arc of this book.
But overall a really good read.
Annarella
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good and entertaining book. I really enjoyed the plot, the characters and appreciated the style of writing.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC
Tonya
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artemis has a problem. She's just moved back into the home where her teenaged boyfriend lived and disappeared. Anis rolls the after of the house in the woods but no one believes her. Apparitions began to appear urging Artemis to go back into the woods. Will she find the courage in time? This was a very enjoyable read. Some of the cookies were in-your-face but that didn't take away from the book as a whole.
Sheri Courts
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!! This book was a spine-tingling journey of suspense and fear. The main character Artemis is a young woman who at 13 years of age lost her best friend and first boyfriend Aris in a mysterious way in the woods near their homes. His disappearance has never been solved . and has haunted her for the last nine years. But she has tried to move on , moved away to go to college , has a long time boyfriend from her hometown .and has no plans to move back . Things change when her boyfriend has oppor ...more
Sara / forensicgrl
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

This was an enjoyable read. It was creepy, but not as creepy as I was hoping it would be. It was a quick and easy read, but the end didn't live up to the story. I am not sure what I was hoping for but I definitely didn't get it.

• The Queen's Wing (The Queen's Wing, #1)
  • Forget Me Not
  • The Wife's Secret
  • The Harbinger (The Harbinger, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • Who I Am
  • The Taken Girls
  • The Warning
  • Cuckoo
  • Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
  • In Times Gone By (Golden Gate Secrets, #3)
  • The Hand That Feeds You
  • Bridesmaids
  • Demons Lie (A Girl's Guide To Witchcraft And Demon Hunting, #1)
  • The Truth About Us
  • Nightchaser (Endeavor, #1)
  • Minha vida fora de série: 4ª temporada (Minha vida fora de série, #4)
  • Her Pretty Bones (Detective Gina Harte, #3)
Krystal spends her time sipping green tea and searching for unicorns in the wild.

News & Interviews