Start by marking “To Sleep in a Sea of Stars” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  24,842 ratings  ·  4,740 reviews
Listening time: 32 hrs 29 min

A brand new space opera on an epic scale from the New York Times bestselling author of a beloved YA fantasy series.

It was supposed to be a routine research mission on an uncolonized planet. But when xenobiologist Kira Navárez finds an alien relic beneath the surface of the world, the outcome transforms her forever and will alter the course of h
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 33 pages
Published September 15th 2020 by Macmillan Audio
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, please sign up.
Betsy Starks Desperodox - I think you're being unduly critical. Letting a child read what she wants is in a different category from recommending to that child a bo…moreDesperodox - I think you're being unduly critical. Letting a child read what she wants is in a different category from recommending to that child a book to read. As a grandmother, I know my teenage grandchildren read a wide variety, and they read what they want to read. But I am not going to recommend or give them a book that I feel is inappropriate. In my opinion you're being a bit pedantic and judgemental.(less)

·  24,842 ratings  ·  4,740 reviews

Start your review of To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Stephanie L
But the real question is, will there be space dragons?
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I read this book as part of my "Giving authors a second/last chance" challenge...

I read Eragon as an adult after hearing so many rave reviews but it personally didn't work for me so I wanted to give the author a second chance.

While I overall like the story, the writing didn't work for me and I couldn't finish the book. I put it down at 56%.
First contact with aliens is one of my favorite premises but the book felt too long and the pace couldn't be sustained.

It just wasn't for me!
Miranda Reads
description

Just released my Top 10 Books from 2020 BookTube Video - now that you know this one made the list, click the link to find the rest!
Annnd here's my original reaction to this book!
description

I am overwhelmed. I'm overjoyed. And I Vlogged the Reading Experience.
The Written Review

Kira Navárez has always been fascinated by the outer worlds - specifically, life on other planets.

She's spent her life traveling to the edges of the known universe to categorize and learn from the microbes and other creatures.
megs_bookrack
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Upon finishing To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, I leaned toward rating it 4.5-stars, maybe rounding up, maybe not.

There were some aspects I didn't love; some areas where I felt the story dragged a bit.

However, after having time to reflect on it as a whole, it is absolutely a 5-star book.

I CANNOT STOP thinking about it!

This novel is quite the accomplishment for Paolini. If I am remembering the Author's Note correctly, he worked on this project for nine years and it shows.

In the beginning, we meet an
Maryam Rz.
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: plot-driven, hard sci-fi thriller fans
(4.5 ★’s) No, there are no space dragons—there are space squids instead. And my general reaction to this mammoth is:

“Eat the path, or the path will eat you.”

Christopher Paolini has been sitting on this book for about a decade and man, it shows. No, I don’t mean a glorious Paolini-sized dent in the physical copy but on everything sci-fi and epic and action about To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, which is the majority of it. This man just killed it—seized it by the throat and throttled it, to quote
MarilynW
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini, narrated by Jennifer Hale.

Winner of Best Science Fiction in the 2020 Goodreads Choice Awards.

When I saw the To Sleep in a Sea of Stars title, I wasn't sure about tackling 880 pages. Then I saw that the book was narrated by Jennifer Hale and the fact that the narration is 32 hours and 30 minutes, mattered not one iota. Because I've played as Commander Shepard, in the Mass Effect games, more times than I will ever admit. I'm also familiar with Hal
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Just some little name drops that remind me of Alien and Alien VS Predator: Weyland, Hendriksen, Bishop. And I’m okay with it 😉

Horror welled up inside Kira.
She clawed at her forearms in a desperate attempt to rip off the alien organism. Even with their hard veneer, her nails couldn’t cut or break the fibers.

I love this book so much!! 😫

I can’t say enough how much I love this book!

I love sooo many characters:
Kira
Hwa-jung
Itari

and so many
✨ A ✨
well hello there new Christopher Paolini book. I don't even like reading sci-fi but I'll make an exception for you 😉

Charlotte May
This was an absolute mission to complete but I finally got there.

“To search and seek among the outer bounds, and when we land upon a distant shore, to seek another yet farther still.”

Sci fi is always a mixed bag for me. Sometimes I think it’s great like the Wayfarers or Red Rising series, other times it’s just weird. Too weird even for me.

I picked this mainly because I loved the Eragon series and Christopher Paolini’s world building can’t be faulted.

I liked a lot of the characters, how the
Krystal
DNF @ Pg 536 (61%)

I think it's time to review this monstrosity.

Paolini is a fantasy author and nowhere is that more apparent than in this, his sci-fi debut. Stick to fantasy, buddy.

Let me just start with a list of my complaints and go from there.

- Dull and slow from the get-go
- Science is generally pretty light on, unless it's going into pointlessly detailed explanations of something
- Characters are annoying cardboard cutouts
- Frustrating behaviour
- The plot is almost non-existent
- The alien
Bradley
It having been much more than a decade since I've read anything else by Paolini -- his dragons were pretty okay -- I came to the idea of reading his adult space opera with mild anticipation.

I mean, sure, it's often true that many writers of fantasy who decide to jump the fence into SF do so brilliantly, so a part of my mind kept thinking of, say, Adrian Tchaikovsky, and I wondered. I wondered hard.

After getting my hands on this book and having started it, I began comparing it to Becky Chambers w
Dylan
Aug 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Matthew
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super epic space opera!!!!

I haven’t looked at too many reviews of this yet, but went in knowing:

- It was written by Christopher Paolini of Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) fame. I enjoyed that series but did have some varying opinions on it. So, going in I wasn’t sure if I might come out having some varying opinions here, too.
- It was the winner of the Goodread’s Choice Award for Science Fiction in 2020

So . . . how did it end up for me? Worthy of the award?

My answer . . . it’s very good and worthy of
James Tivendale
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, freecopy
I received a limited edition proof copy of To Sleep in a Sea of Stars in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Christopher Paolini and Tor Books.

In To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, we follow the third-person perspective of Kira who is a xenobiologist. We join her towards the end of an assignment on the Earth-sized moon of Adrasteia. On the final excursion to the moon, Kira uncovers a mysterious relic. What was hidden there was placed away for a good reason and Kira's discovery of it will have d
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
I was wondering what the Eragon dude has been up to. I guess in between rolling around on piles of money, he found time to write a new book.

I like sci-fi, soooo
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
A decent sci-fi. I didn’t hate it. But I do have some thoughts.

Paolini has definitely blossomed as a writer. He always had the storytelling basics, but time and experience has done his craft well. I particularly liked his character construction. So many different personalities and a great dynamic between all of them. I’d be hard-presses to pick a favorite, and I love that.

I wouldn’t say the book was particularly original – I feel like I’ve read many different versions of at least the first 25%.
Phrynne
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2020
Well it is certainly very long and the paperback version is very awkward to read in bed, but it is also enormously entertaining and worth any hardships. I found it hard to stop reading and, when I had to do other things, I was always thinking about it and wanting to get back to it. Sure signs of a really good book.

I am a scifi fan from way back and To Sleep in a Sea of Stars frequently reminded me of Kevin J. Anderson's Saga of the Seven Suns, one of my favourite series. There was a similarity i
Jeffrey Keeten
”Knowing the organism had a name (and not one she had given it) changed Kira’s view of it. Instead of thinking of the xeno just as an interloper and a potentially deadly parasite, now she saw it more as a … companion. It was a profound shift. And not one she had intended or anticipated. Though as she belatedly realized, names changed—and defined—all things, including relationships. The situation reminded her of naming a pet; once you did, that was that, you had to keep the animal, whether you’d ...more
Claudia
Sep 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 30% - my biggest dissapointment of the year. Maybe the tons of cliches wouldn't have bothered me had it been well written, but it's not. The characters' behaviours are not credible, the dialogues are the same - the author is trying too hard to make them cool and utterly fails.

Every gesture, every action, every emotion is explained - he leaves no room for you to raise a question and it has a single narative thread in a story over 900 pages.

From the beginning I guessed it will be a light an
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love anything mind bending, flabbergasting Paolini writes! He is one of the greatest complex, extra brilliant, smartest minds who presents us remarkable sci-fi works! ( Normally I don’t keen on dragon fantasy novels but when he writes one of them, I learn how to enjoy them eventually! )

I did a first, I read only two chapters and voted for this book as best sci-fi for goodreads choice awards. I read most of the other books who were nominated before and maybe it wasn’t so fair to decide to fal
Bethany
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is Christopher Paolini's first novel for adults and first sci-fi novel and....it's a bit of a mixed bag. Clocking in at nearly 900 pages this book is a tome, and it really didn't need to be. Part 1 of the book is fantastic. It's tightly plotted with big twists that kept me riveted, clearly very well edited with the feeling of a sci-fi thriller. After that, things begin to meander a lot more with bloated writing and uneven pacing that detracts from the very interesting ...more
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Excuse me, a new book by Christopher Paolini? High school Cece is thriving.
Barbara
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Xenobiologist Kira Navárez is part of a survey crew studying a moon called Adrasteia, many light years from Earth.

When Kira was a child, humans found the first known alien artefact, called The Great Beacon. Kira, who was thrilled by the discovery, decided the study of alien life forms would be her future occupation.

Kira and the rest of the survey crew is about to finish its work, after which its members will be assigned to separate projects elsewhere in space. In an effort to stay together Kira
Sherwood Smith
Plenty of ink has been spilled about Christopher Paolini's dreadful/wonderful fantasy series (depending on who you talk to). When I was a teacher, I read everything my junior high and high school students read. The younger ones in particular loved Eragon--to them the clunky prose, cliche characters, and undigested swathes of various popular movies plus Bruce Coville's work were invisible. Though I couldn't make it through the first book, I knew that if I'd encountered it as a kid, I too would ha ...more
Lyn
May 04, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, this is Howard Cosell, reporting to you from the finish line where Lyn has just completed reading To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, the 2020 novel by Christopher Paolini. Lyn how are you feeling?

Lyn: OH MY GOD!! Uuuugh! (drinking bottled water) I’m SO tired, it was such a long book – Aaaaaaaaaargggh! – (breathing hard) Aaaaaaaargh! Just glad to be done!

Cosell: 878 pages, Lyn, it was a grueling endeavor.

Lyn: (pouring water of his head) Aaaaaaaargh! It was tough, I ju
Monte Price
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Y'all...

I'm going to be very honest here, I didn't really think I was going to like this book as much as I did. I had vague memories of Eragon from my youth, a series that I never finished and it wouldn't have been the first time this year that I'd been burned by Tor, a book as long as this one. That said within the opening chapters I was immediately hooked, invested in the book and our main character in a way that hasn't happened nearly as often this year as I would have liked.

There was also a
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Macmillan Audio for the free audiobook in exchange for an honest review

Kind of a DNF at I forgot where percent.

This started out well enough. It was very intriguing and mildly spooky but it got tiresome the further I got into it.

I had been going strong with the book... I read a solid 8 hours of the audiobook but that was over the weekend and when I paused, I completely lost motivation. I tried to restart it multiple times but I just couldn't get hooked.

I skipped to the end and wa
Montzalee Wittmann
by Christopher Paolini
Narrated by Jennifer Hale
Macmillan Audio
I requested this audible book from NetGalley and was unable to download despite trying everything I know to get it to work. The NetGalley app has a rating of 2 for a reason! I notified the Macmillan team, which were awesome, and they sent me the first 19 chapters and the last few chapters of the book in audible format. A large sample book!
I really feel in love with this book! I love sci-fi, aliens, main char
Valliya Rennell
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Bobiverse and (movie) District 9

Christopher Paolini is one of the people who turned me into a writer, and the sole man who got me into the world of high epic fantasy. For this I will be ever grateful to him. Although looking back on Eragon, I now see that it had a lot of faults, I still think it one of the most influential novels for me. Needless to say, I was hyped for To Sleep in A Sea of Stars. This book is very very different from Paolini's previous works, so if you're coming in and expecting something similar, th
NAT.orious reads ☾
This better not be like what I've had to go through with his other series or I'll have a talk with little Christopher.

Ohhh update y'all: we have a cover!

• Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • Unparalleled
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • In Five Years
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Eon (The Way, #1)
  • American Psycho
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Book Love
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • Alone (The Girl in the Box, #1)
  • Edge of Darkness (Edge of Collapse #3)
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Predator's Gold (Mortal Engines Quartet #2)
  • House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • The Accidental Beauty Queen
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
See top shelves…
Christopher Paolini was born in Southern California and has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana. He published his first novel, Eragon, in 2003 at the age of nineteen, and quickly became a publishing phenomenon. His Inheritance Cycle—Eragon and its three sequels—have sold nearly 40 million copies worldwide. To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is his first adult novel.

Visit Paolini.net for

Articles featuring this book

“I’ve seen a greater share of wonders, vast
And small, than most have done. My peace is made;
My breathing slows. I could not ask for more.
To reach beyond the stuff of day-to-day
Is worth this life of mine. Our kind is meant
To search and seek among the outer bounds,
And when we land upon a distant shore,
To seek another yet farther still. Enough.
The silence grows. My strength has fled, and Sol
Become a faded gleam, and now I wait,
A Viking laid to rest atop his ship.
Though fire won’t send me off, but cold and ice,
And forever shall I drift alone.
No king of old had such a stately bier,
Adorned with metals dark and grey, nor such
A hoard of gems to grace his somber tomb.
I check my straps; I cross my arms, prepare
Myself to once again venture into the
Unknown, content to face my end and pass
Beyond this mortal realm, content to hold
And wait and here to sleep—
To sleep in a sea of stars.
—THE FARTHEST SHORE 48–70
HARROW GLANTZER”
18 likes
“The path to our goal is rarely straight. It tends to turn and twist, which makes the journey far more enjoyable than it would otherwise be.” 18 likes