Start by marking “The Night Before” as Want to Read:

The Night Before

The night before...and the nightmare after.

Rosie and Laura are as different as two sisters can be. One is stable and has the perfect family. The other struggles to break free from her troubled past. When Laura disappears after going on a blind date, Rosie takes matters into her own hands.

But as Rosie begins to search for her sister, her greatest fears come to the surface.
Expected publication: May 14th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 14, 2019
    Twelve hours earlier, she was...

Now she's gone.

Enter for a chance to win a galley today!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 4757 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 04 - Dec 18, 2018

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before

Susanne Strong
    5 Frakking Awesome Stars!!

If you thought Wendy Walker hit it out of the park with her earlier novels: “All is Not Forgotten” and “Emma in The Night,” well Fuggedaboutit folks! She just won the World Freakin Series with her latest novel: “The Night Before.”

So what is this one about you ask?:

Twelve hours earlier, she was...

Now she's gone.

That’s it. That’s all you get!!
    Ok, ok, I lied, that’s not ALL you get..

Here’s a little teaser:

Imagine that there’s something you’ve de
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press
    Now available to wish for on NetGalley!

I do believe I'll be keeping this one brief for now, as it's not released until mid 2019, but I wanted to get a few thoughts down first while it's still fresh in my mind. I believe keeping the synopsis brief in the description above is brilliant; I truly hope the publisher keeps it as vague as possible because it was so helpful going into this one knowing as little as possible.

I'll admit, I was getting a bit nervous around the halfway point because I had f
    Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
    *3 Stars*

For me, this was a middle-of-the-road psychological thriller with a twisty plot and enough back and forth structural-juggling to make make my head spin. (In a good way;)

I did enjoy—however, I wasn’t entirely pulled in or convinced, and I unfortunately felt this story was a bit hollow and consisted largely of dramatic build-up that yeilded a decent though not particularly gratifying finish.

But that’s just me, and sometimes I’m a weirdo. I loved All is Not Forgotten, and many readers are
    Norma * Traveling Sister
    Updating to comment on that cover!!!

Ingenious, enthralling, & brisk!

When Brenda and I got the opportunity to do an early group read for Wendy Walker’s new book with our Traveling Sisters we were absolutely thrilled. Wendy Walker has quite a few fans in our Traveling Sisters group including myself.

If I were to give you one piece of advice while reading this book would be to put all your other books aside so you can totally be immersed in this tale. This book needs to be read without any inte
    Kaceey - Traveling Sister
    I always love to approach my books by going in with blinders on!
    In this case, that was a very good thing.
    The publisher’s ‘blurb’ was purposely vague to draw in the reader. Well, it worked! I couldn’t wait to read this one, and I know I’m not the only one who had the same reaction!! If you’re looking for the next truly top-notch thriller, pull up your chair…You’ve found it!

Laura has a past, to say the least. One that all these years later, continues to haunt her...

It's one innocent evening out,
    Lindsay - Traveling Sister
    4.5 stars! UNPUTDOWNABLE!!

This was a fast-paced, tension-filled, edge-of-your-seat thrilling read! I couldn’t flip these pages fast enough! I absolutely love this author’s writing – it pulled me in from page one and kept me fully captivated and intrigued until the very end.

The blurb describing this novel doesn’t give much detail:

“Twelve hours earlier, she was...

Now she's gone.”

Knowing the caliber of this author’s writing, I knew I would be in for an intense and gripping rea
    Larry H
    Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley

4.5 stars for this one.

Well, that was a wild ride!! At some point I figure my pulse will stop racing.

Laura is getting ready for a blind date. She isn't quite sure if she's ready to date again after a bad breakup not too long ago, but something about this man's picture, his profile, their conversations, makes her hopeful and excited.

It hasn't been easy for Laura since she moved back to her hometown, moved in with her older sister Rosie and her family. Because years ago Laura was involved in a tr
    Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
    First of all I’d like to clarify that a 3* review from me means that the book was a “middle of the road” read for me, not bad but not one that is memorable or that I would necessarily recommend to others.

This book definitely is a page turner and a quick read, in fact the fewer times that you have to put the book down the better -- keeps the tension tighter that way.

The novel is told from three points of view, Laura the night before and present time, Rosie the night before and the present and Lau
    Katie B
    Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I'm sitting here kinda stunned because the author somehow took a pretty basic premise and managed to tell a complex story that felt different and new. I won't go too much into the plot since the publisher hasn't revealed much here on Goodreads yet, but it is a dual timeline story featuring two sisters. Part of what sets this story apart from other books in the thriller or suspense genre is one of the sisters, Laura, isn't some one-note character, she's complicated. And that's why the bo
    JanB
    Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This book is a prime example of what a psychological suspense thriller should be! By far, it’s my favorite thriller read so far this year.

The publisher blurb:

"Twelve hours earlier, she was...Hopeful. Excited. Safe. Now she's gone."

Now that is a perfect blurb! It’s best to go into this read with as little information as possible.

Laura goes on a date with a man she met on an online dating site and doesn’t return home. From there, the story alternates between the ‘night before’ chapters na
    Diane S ☔
    Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
    First I'd like to say how much I appreciate the blurb on this book, not much given way, just a short, effective teaser. So rare lately. Also enjoyed the format of this story, two narrators, sisters Rose and Laura, interspersed with sessions between Laura and a psychiatrist. It does go back and forth in time, but the chapters are clearly marked as to date. Easy to keep track of snd follow.

Laura, meets a man on the internet, after he last relationship left her devastated, this is the first time sh
    Debra
    Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    This was such an addictive and gripping read that I could not put it down! I was glued to his book and read most of the book in one day. I just had to know what was going to happen next. Walker did not disappoint; the action was consistent and the twits and revelations came at the right intervals to keep me on the edge of my seat wanting more!

I love that the book blurb does not give a lot of information - just enough to pique the readers interest! This book is cleverly told through both Laura an
    Christina - Traveling Sister
    4.5 dark, compelling and twisty stars!!!

The Night Before by Wendy Walker has very little information out about it. I mean, just looking at the 5 lines that are the entire synopsis. All it tells you is that a girl is missing and we don't know why. With so little information going into this one, I wasn't sure what to expect - but I knew that I was immediately intrigued. Well, let me tell you - what follows is a twisting, layered and complicated story that in the end not only threw me for a loop bu
    Theresa Alan
    Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
    I had such a different reaction to this book than the rest of my Goodreads friends. I thought it was slow-paced and definitely put-downable. I kept reading because I did want to know what happened to Laura and because of the rave reviews of others, but even when what I think were supposed to be big twists were revealed, I didn’t care.

The premise is that Laura, who has been angry and violent since she was a child, leaves the city and comes home to her sister, Rosie, and Rosie’s husband, Joe. Joe,
    Holly  B
    ~ Full review closer to publication!

All the tension and tidbits of hidden secrets kept me invested in the story line and wanting to know more about Laura. Told in Before and After Timelines, the past secrets sprinkle out as the story unfolds. When I hit the last stretch, there was no slowing down…. I had to finish! Never saw that end coming!
    Felicia
    Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
    This is a read-in-one-sitting type of book. I think to set it aside for even a short time could ruin the tautness and unease Wendy Walker has masterfully created in this story.

I feel like I white-knuckled my way through this book like an addict needing a fix. I ate an entire bag of M&Ms, and I don't mean a single serving bag, I mean the giant bag with the red and green Christmas colors. So now not only do I have a headache caused by the tension in my neck, I'm pretty sure I'm heading for a d
    Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
    This will definitely be one of the best thrillers of 2019, if not the number one! I will post a full review closer to the publication date in May, but I couldn’t resist telling you not to miss it!

In a sea of a sometimes saturated market of thrillers, The Night Before is original and a total knockout. 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟
    Linda
    Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
    "I worry my soulmate is on a different dating site." (Unknown)

Laura Heart is leaving the city skyline of New York in her rearview mirror. Too many bad memories that just don't seem to heal. She's headed to the waiting arms of her older sister, Rosie, who still lives in the small Connecticut town that they grew up in. Rosie is married to Joe and has a young son, Mason. They live within walking distance of Gabe, another long-time friend from childhood. Still thick as thieves......

But Laura still f
    Tammy
    Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
    I intended to skip this one due to thriller fatigue but the many positive reviews caught my attention. Believe the buzz. Believe it. I turned the pages so quickly that I nearly sustained whiplash. The pace is ferocious and the events unexpected which is what should happen in a well constructed thriller. I doubt that I’ll read another thriller of this caliber for quite some time.
    Suzanne Leopold
    Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    This book releases next year ! I read this book very quickly because I could not wait to see how the story ended , full of great twists and turns . ( Full review coming AND get it on your TBR and pre - order ! )
    Melisa
    Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
    The triple thriller threat: well-written, twisty, and unputdownable! Full review to come closer to pub date, but thriller fans will want to add this one for sure!
    Carol (Bookaria)
    Another excellent novel from Wendy Walker! This is going to be a very biased review because I love this author's previous novels and this one is just as compelling.

Laura goes on a date with someone she met on a dating site, is the next day, she has not returned and that is all I'm sharing about this book! It was an addictive and twisty read. The author does a great job at creating intrigue and maintaining suspense throughout the novel.

The novel is narrated from alternating points of view and per
    Dan Schwent
    Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2018, 2018-comics
    Rosie's sister Laura moved in with her and her husband after a bad breakup. When Laura tries to reenter the dating world, she goes out with a man she met on a dating website and doesn't return home the next day. But are Rosie and Joe afraid of what her date did to Laura or what she did to him?

I was invited to read this on Netgalley and took St. Martin's up on the offer. I'm glad I did.

The Night Before is a tale of secrets, obsession, and the past acting as an anchor. Or is it? Laura is a woman o
    Berit☀️✨
    Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Wendy Walker did it again! ALL the stars for this thrilling thriller!!!
    An addictive and compelling read that will suck you in from the very first page and will not let you go until the mind blowing end! 🤯

Full review closer to publication day, but this is a definite can’t miss!
    Rose (Traveling Sister)
    3 stars for Wendy Walker's The Night Before, a quick and entertaining read that doesn't linger long after it's finished.

Laura wants to be in love. She wants it bad, and she always has. Her "brat pack" consists of herself, her sister Rosie, Rosie's husband Joe, and their friend Gabe. These four grew up in the same neighborhood, and they've always gone to great lengths to protect each other. Rosie and Joe found love together. Gabe found love and success on his own.

However, Laura has always been lo
    Bkwmlee
    The Night Before actually won’t be published until next year (May 2019) but due to having read Wendy Walker’s Emma in the Night last year, I was given the opportunity to read and review this, her newest work, super early (so early that the cover isn't even available yet!). Of course, as with all psychological suspense / thrillers, I don’t want to reveal too much of the plot, but this book especially, it is necessary to go into it knowing as little as possible (I suspect the publisher left th ...more
    Jayme
    Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Twelve hours earlier, she was...Hopeful. Excited. Safe.

NOW SHE’S GONE

That was all the publisher said, so if they want to be vague, and have readers go in blind, I am not going to say much more.....but, I will give you a smidgen more....

Excerpt : (page 2)

“ Lipstick, cherry red.
    I choose the color because it’s bright and cheerful. It’s optimism in a tube. And, that’s exactly what I need tonight.”
    The guest bathroom at my sister’s house is impossibly small, with slanted ceilings and a tiny oval mirr
    Kim ~ Traveling Sister ❄️⛄️
    Laura Lochner moves back to town after a devastating break up with her boyfriend. This is one of many failed relationships for Laura. Moving back to Deer Hill Lane stirs up plenty of emotions in Laura. You see, her boyfriend Mitch was murdered there and she was at the scene.

Laura moves in with her sister Rose and her husband Joe. They have the perfect marriage, or do they? It seems like Laura and Joe are pretty tight. Staying up late into the night after Rose goes to bed. Friends since childhoo
    Kendall
    Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Fasten your seat belts! This thriller will give you one heck of a ride that will leave you breathless until the end. This one is not to be missed!!

Full review closer to publication date in May 2019 :).
    Mandy White
    Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: net-galley
    The Night Before by Wendy Walker is not released until May 2019. I have read her previous books and loved them so when I was invited to read this new book super early I jumped at the chance. Going into a book hardly knowing anything about what is going to happen is a fun way to read. The publisher didn't give a lot away but enough to hook me in. I started reading this book at lunch time and finished it in the evening. It just kept calling me to finish it.

Not going to give too much away in terms
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
    Wendy Walker is a former attorney and investment banker in Fairfield County, Connecticut who began writing while at home raising her three sons. Her debut thriller, All Is Not Forgotten, has become an international bestseller, published in over 22 languages. Emma In The Night was published the following year and her next thriller, The Night Before, will be released in May 2019.
    “People could hide. And hide well. Even the people you love the most.” 0 likes