Start by marking “If She Were Blind (The After Twelve, #1)” as Want to Read:

Laney Wylde

If She Were Blind

(After Twelve #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  285 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Not everyone can get justice the traditional way—that’s where Estlyn Collins comes in. A young lawyer in Santa Monica, her "legal" service, After Twelve, works outside the courtroom to tip the scales when the justice system has failed.

For a price.

Published October 22nd 2018 by Crimson Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about If She Were Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If She Were Blind

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of If She Were Blind (The After Twelve, #1)
Coco.V
Nov 25, 2018 marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (11/25/2018)!💝

Blurb:

For a price.

Thanks to her powerful underground network, Estlyn's success rate is stellar, and her inbox stays filled with inquires from the desperate and vengeful. But when one of those names is a ghost from he
elizrdbthspeaks
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to read book 2 so far, hope 2 do that soon, when i find the time, always so book busy around here, I am such a new fan of Laney's. I find it wild how I had never heard of her before and now I have read 2 books of hers so quickly. I must admit I enjoy Never Toughed a bit more than this one. You can see they are both written from Laney ...they have such a similar feel. Both are talking about rough subjects. I am normally a person who does prefer mysteries or humor. u will not find humor ...more
Mary Dean
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! This book had me hooked from the start to the end. The author jumps right into the story and I love that. Right away I was involved. Our main character Estlyn is a lawyer but not your typical one who works for a regular law firm. She has a side business called After Twelve that gets justice for those who don't get it from the normal justice system. She wants to help others. She has her own terrible past of justice system failing her. She is a victim of sexual abuse. Her need f ...more
Rosie J.
Estlyn Collins is a fixer -- think Oliva Pope (Scandal), just 10 years younger, smarter and definitely more cunning. She's a self-employed lawyer who's in the business of exacting revenge for people who didn't get justice the first or second time around.

Life hasn't always been kind to Estlyn as she was forced to grow up in foster care (where she was abused -- both, physically and emotionally) after her parents were taken from her. Once she realizes the pain she experiences on a daily basis is no
Samhita Argula
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, fast paced book. The narration kept me hooked till the last page was flipped. A modern, thinking hat kind of book. Hats off to the author!
Anja
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Great writing, a different and unusual story line that doesn't shy away from difficult subjects, the characters are described really well. It's overall a good stand-alone book, with a good conclusion at the end which does introduce the second book, but thankfully is not one of those cliffhangers that basically only tell half the story. I'm looking forward to reading more of Laney's books.
Ethan Gregory
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It isn't often in my line of work that I get the opportunity these days to enjoy the debut work of an up-and-coming author. Thankfully life slowed down a bit to give me the incredible chance to devour IF SHE WERE BLIND and, boy howdy. I couldn't have been more impressed.

From the word go, Wylde astounds and delivers with one heck of a plot. When Estlyn Collins unique legal career is pushed to the limits, she must fight her heart and mind to come to a decision that will solve the crime and keep h
Melanie's
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If She Were Blind is the first in the new After Twelve series by author Laney Wylde, and it begs the question, what do you do when justice fails you, especially after what could be the worst moment of your life. The answer - if you can manage it you hire After Twelve and let Estlyn issue her own brand of well-deserved justice.

Fast-paced and gritty, this was a real page turner for me with several twists that caught me off guard (which is always a good trick with the amount that I read). Fair war
Alec
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I wanted from this was a book about someone getting justice when the actual justice system has failed. But what I got was more of a romance than anything else, and didn’t like it at all.

Everything that was actually connected Estlyn’s work and the revenge plotline was really good. The book had quite a bit of good commentary on rape culture, as well as how the justice system discriminates against people of color.

Unfortunately I found all of the characters super annoying (with the exception of
Tiffany
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tlc
This book was available for free when I got it. It was sitting on my digital bookshelf for some time before I decided to read it, and when I did, it was an interesting read that kept my attention.

The main character, Estlyn, is written nicely. She is complex, not a flat one-dimensional character. Her motivation for what she does becomes more clear as you read the story and I found her to be a relatable character and one you want to root for.

I wasn't familiar with the author, and didn't look at an
Krystyna
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read but not what I was expecting

This wasn't the light read that is thought it was going to be. This is a hard gritty tale of rape, murder and the way that the law seems to favour one part of society over another and a young woman who decided to take justice into her own hands and bring equality back to the little, powerless people, take on the big boys and win. Plus getting paid to do so. How she survives abuse by one parent, the arrest and conviction of another and ending in foster sys
Evelyn Grabas
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story and a nice beginning to what appears to be an exceptionally good series. Loved Estlyn (or whoever she is at the moment). Was not happy, but could understand why she let Monroe off the hook, Dad being the most important, but it sticks in my craw that he got away with out and out murder.
What I like most about the premise of this book is that it emphasizes the statement that was made by a judge once when a plaintiff stated that all he wanted was justice. The judge's reply was "this is a
Chanika
With the heaviness surrounding so much of my day-to-day, I needed a reprieve, something not super heavy and a pretty fast read. This fit the bill and I actually found it more interesting than I thought I would in the first thirty or so pages. The romantic storyline didn’t always work for me though and it felt quite rushed, especially when you consider the caretaking aspect that was introduced close to the end. It felt too hurried and unrealistic. For my overall purposes though, this novel worked ...more
K. Vincent
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense Tears and Comedic Relief

Must read! I just knew that this story about how racism ends lives and families was written by a W.O.C. But I was wrong. Laney did her due diligence in order to adopt the feelings a P.O.C. may have when dealing with police injustice, a legal system that doesn't respect our life stories and how P.O.C. live in America knowing justice for us is never blind. This story has all of that!
Ash
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure what I would think about it but shortly after starting it, I was in to it. I love the concept of the book and I can't wait to get my hands on Book #2 to see how the series progresses. It's nice to have a story where a woman is confident and shows the power she has in her life.
Antonica
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Estlynn is my home girl

Interesting plot and characters. Estlynn is a fresh voice and compelling character. In some spots I felt like her blackness was overdone and in other spots she seemed lacking in racial identity. Overall I want to like her so I do. Cal/Linus was not what I was expecting at all. Love the atypical male portrayal.
Naznin Azeez
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!. I am all for justice. And this book has a protagonist who is into giving justice to those who were denied justice by the court and justice system.. If She Were Blind is a cleverly titles book. The story makes you feel pretty powerful, that anything is possible.. It ends with a cliffhanger.. looking forward to reading more form this author 💞
Jerome Maida
Decent, soapy, compelling tale with a female black lead who pursues justice her own way. Solid story, but would be better if some tropes weren't used and if it did not make it obvious it is setting up a series of books rather than being a self-contained story.
Kyana
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good!

Solid writing! It's been a while since I found a book I wanted to read from cover to cover. Also, some of the topics discussed were quite extreme but they were bearable to me. Had to deduct a star though for the cliffhanger but headed to read the follow up.
Kathleen
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book because I was bored and it was free on Kindle. I was pleasantly surprised it was actually pretty good! A little rough and disjointed in spots, but a fun read.

It kind of reminded me of John Grisham.
anoop agrawal
Okay why this review is compulsory, i fail to understand yhe logic Okay kind of book. Was hopinqg for better selection of words. Hope to read better books of the author in future. All the best for the effortd.

I don't know why this review is compulsory
It's okay kind of book barring few paragraphs where brilliance of writer comes out.
Doina Condrea
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I will leave the rating at 5 stars but I just have to say this:

I am so mad!! And all it took was one line to make me mad at this book. Just ONE line. The very last one. Actually the whole last chapter. After all that, I was severely underwhelmed. Come on!!
Teaguem2005
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Estylyn aka Dillon was a very interesting character. My kind of girl. She appears to do things her way. Beneath her carefree attitude is a deeply wounded girl who has learned to not wear her heart on her sleeve. Loved the writing style. Good story.
A. Powers
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I surprisingly enjoyed this book. I loved the idea of the revenge-for-hire lawyer who has been dealt a pretty crappy hand at life and gone through way too many horrible things. Some of the relationship stuff was a bit over the top, but I still enjoyed it anyway. Fun, quick read.
Anna
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional writing and depth of characters. Switches between multiple perspectives flawlessly.
I did squirm a bit reading black characters written by a white woman- I would rather hear black perspectives from a black voice -but I did really enjoy the book.
Dawn Ireland
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a hot book!

Laney Wylde sure as hell knows how to create not only great characters, but a fast-paced story. I was riveted to the book. I highly recommend you stop reading the rubbish you’re currently reading and read this book!
Corry Lopez
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A Story!! Emotional roller coaster for sure, but overall it was amazing. I love this and can't wait to read the rest of the series, I'm totally hooked!!
Opanuga Motunropesefoluwa
This is simply amazing!!! 💕💖
Sabina D'agliano
Loved it!!!

Original, greatest protagonist ever, and captivating story line make this a keeper. Cannot wait to read a lot more in this series. Just a really solid read.
Gloria
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

I loved this book and look forward to the next book in this series. So totally different from most of the books that I have read. A+ for a riveting plot.

• Molly Miranda: Thief for Hire (Molly Miranda, #1)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Even Good Girls: A Murder Mystery
  • Silent Crime (Hangman #1)
  • Leona's Last Resort (Tawnee Mountain Mysteries #1)
  • Love in the Time of Surfing (Cassidy Kincaid Book 1)
  • Every Reasonable Doubt
  • Fields' Guide to Abduction (Poppy Fields Adventures #1)
  • Die Noon (Goodnight Mysteries, #1)
  • To Kill A Labrador (Marcia Banks and Buddy Mysteries, #1)
  • Friended: A Nostalgia Songfic (Modern Love Book 1)
  • Face of Death (A Zoe Prime Mystery #1)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley Thriller, #1)
  • Spider's Truth (Detective Trann, #1)
  • Flirty Thirty (Nerdy Thirties. #1)
  • Falling for You (Sapphire Bay, #1)
  • The Housewife Assassin's Killer 2-Book Set (The Housewife Assassin Series)
  • Licensed to Thrill: Volume 2 (Jess Kimball Thriller #0.5-1)
Laney Wylde is enamored with all things southern California––the traffic, smog, surprise earthquakes, and nonindigenous palm trees. Consequently, it’s the landscape her strong and sometimes lovable female leads paint their stories on. Her New Adult novels Never Touched and the After Twelve series are bright with provocative themes, steamy romance, and inappropriately timed humor.
When Laney isn’t w

After Twelve (2 books)
  • If She Plays His Game (After Twelve, #2)