Start by marking “Summer Heat (Cruel Summer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer Heat (Cruel Summer, #1)

Summer Heat

(Cruel Summer #1)

Spoiled Princess is what he used to call me.
We were an inferno of hate and passion wound up with a dash of chaos.

For four years I watched him mow my lawn.
For four years I watched my friends make fun of him.
For four years I hated myself for wanting him, but even more for the way I treated him.

And then I had him.
For one night, we put all labels away and I spent the best
Published August 2nd 2018 by Social Butterfly PR

To ask other readers questions about Summer Heat, please sign up.
Andrie Rachel Van Dyke's site says it's exclusive on iBooks. I don't know if she'll put the book on other platforms later on

Start your review of Summer Heat (Cruel Summer, #1)
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
This is the first book in the Cruel Summer series by the lovely Rachel Van Dyken. Its a quick and easy read, with a trope of enemies to lovers, and second chance for those of you that love these kind. But heads up, There is a cliffhanger, so be ready to dive into the next.

I was hooked from the start of this book, and dang, I can't wait for more!!! The ability this author has to create these characters is amazing!! Marlon & Ray are both wonderful and this story is perfectly played out, I
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Very good romance about unrequited love!

I liked this book a lot. Though there was a lot of angst for both the H and the h. It seems they had feelings for each other ever since they were young when Marlon was the foster kid of Rays maid. Ray was the popular rich girl with the good looking jerk boyfriend that treated Marlon like crap and Marlon would refer to her as Spoiled Princess. Marlon was just the skinny kid who mowed the lawn while Ray would stare out her window at him.

Though there was that
Susan's Reviews
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Marlon and Ray have a history: he was a handyman and worked for her parents. Ray was the pampered rich girl who took what she wanted. Ray seduced Marlon one summer, then turned her back on him. Now, she works for him at a summer camp and he is in a position to exact some revenge. There was a lot of love.hate banter and sexual tension between these two characters, and the shower scene in
Dali
With Summer Heat, the first of the Cruel Summer trilogy, Rachel Van Dyken delivers on its title, turning up the temperature between two enemies who have so much passion between them they can't hide it and can barely contain it.

While Ray had looks and money, Marlon was the nerd foster kid who mowed her lawn and the popular kids picked on. All through high school she loved him from afar but wanted acceptance even more. She ignored him while others made fun of him, except for the night they had
Jemima jamir aka Sentranced Jem
I cannot believe it took me this long to read this book.
Absolutely loved Summer Heat.

Loved the flow of the book. I loved how easy and quick this book was to read. Granted it did end on a rather abrupt cliffhanger which, by the way, I need the second book stat!

Kate R
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is the first book in the Cruel Summer series. Its a super quick easy read, with an enemies to lovers trope set in the summer camp world. I havent read a book set in a summer camp, let alone one that based solely on drama and theatre. There is a cliffhanger, so be prepared.

Marlon and Ray have known each other for a few years. Marlon used to mow Rays parents lawn. She was always the spoiled princess in his eyes, and he was always the nerd in her eyes. They reunite 4 years later at a summer
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

font_rend_3

Summer Heat by Rachel Van Dyken is your quintessential must read this summer! Its one of those light easy reads that hooks you right from the start. RVD introduces readers to Marlon and Ray. Ray is your rich privileged girl and Marlon is the skinny foster kid, who mows her lawn. Ray and Marlon shared a moment but the next day, she ignores him. Fast forward four years later, Ray and Marlon meet again but this time around, Marlon isnt the
BookSmacked
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gawd !! RVD comes at ya with a sizzling summer read, full of sexual tension that might just melt your IPad, iPhone whatever device you use to read.

Marlon and Ray are enemies. Ray is the spoiled rich princess and Marlon is the foster kid who mows her lawn and gets picked on at school.

Years later these two meet up again and Marlon isnt that skinny kid anymore and this time hes set to make her suffer.

These two are like fire together and there is definitely no love lost whatsoever. That one
Escape into a Booksite
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ibooks
*5 Stars*

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THAT CLIFFHANGER?

RVD does it again with the first instalment of this series. I was captivated by the characters and their history, and getting to know them in by present. Watching them interact and trying to work out how they felt about each other was awesome.

This is a really fast read and with that ending I CANNOT WAIT for the next instalment to be released.

I really want to dig deeper into the story of
Tracy  C
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The push and pull between Ray and Marlo is sizzling. Crossed signals, fear, immaturity, unrequited love and unacknowledged chemistry...what a delicious combination! This first installment of the Cruel summer series left me wanting more. This series of books are an iBook exclusive and are not out on Kindle yet. I'll be getting the other two to read on my phone because I MUST KNOW THE REST.
Shyralf
4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Stars! Bully, enemies to lover romance. I loved it, he was bullied in high school by her friends and now they are older and he is the camp director in charge. Now its her turn to feel how he felt, except its more sexual tension kind of fights. Great beginning to this trilogy. ...more
Becca
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ray and Marlon will pull you in all directions. I feel this is RVD's best work to date.

So what happens when the one person from your past, you really wanted to forget about - all of a sudden shows up at the Summer camp you are the director at? Well for Marlon - it brings up a lot of anger and maybe some revenge.

Ray and Marlon had been friends since they were little kids. With his foster mom working for Ray's family, she was always a part of his life. Until High School things changed. Ray was
Shannon
3.5*

Summer Heat was an angsty, but easy, read. It's building to a true frenemies-to-lovers story, but for now we're really just getting to know Marlon and Ray, and their history. Although we do get a bit of a pay-off at the end, we're left hanging just as things are about to get good! Or bad, really bad.
Marlon has such a deep-seated hatred for Ray, it's making me sad for him. But she isn't the spoiled little rich girl he once thought, her life is not all sunshine and rainbows as he's assumed.
« Court (Take the Read) »
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Ugh, that cliffhanger. I need the next book NOW!! I feel like we haven't even begun to peel back the layers of both Marlo and Ray. We got the general backstory: known each other from childhood, she the popular girl, he the poor adopted son of the housekeeper. One heated night years ago, and the hatred that followed after. Now they're back together at 22, both counseling at a drama camp and none of the spark between them has dimmed in the slightest. He agrees with a fellow counselor that the best ...more
Amanda
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summer Heat was just that, full of heat! This was such a fun light and short read. I read it while getting some sunshine out on the back deck and it was just what I needed! I loved the characters and the enemies to lovers pure hotness going on in this gem.

Rachel Van Dyken always writes such angsty books and I love it! There was a huge cliff hanger at the end though and I can't wait to read more of Marlon and Ray's story because I was totally invested in their sizzling heat they had going on.

If
bookmarkbelles
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received an ARC from Netgalley.

I was in the mood for an enemies to lovers story and was excited to jump into this book. The amount of Angst between Ray and Marlo had me devouring this book in one sitting. Unfortunately this was a short read because the story continues in the next two books. As much as I want to rate it a 5 star I have to give it a 4 since the other books arent available to those who dont have ibooks.
Rosa Sharon (iScream Books Blog)
"I had no self-control when it came to him. Maybe I never did. Because even all those years ago. I'd always wanted him to want me."

I fell into the Rachel Van Dyken vortex. I just saw her name on the cover and stopped thinking, started clicking. She never disappoints and I wanted a taste of her word wizardry.

I devoured Summer Heat from start to finish without realizing it was a trilogy. You should have seen my face when I got to the last page and tried to turn it, repeatedly. Yeah, I'm sure
❤Sana❤
⭐4 Marlo stars⭐

I felt her then. Maybe I smelled her first. Like the worst sort of sin I could commit in this lifetime like both my enemy and my friend.

I read the blurb and kept obsessing about this series, checking my husband's ipad like a lunatic.

The moment the last book was out I was ecstatic and I felt like I really needed to kiss all the ipad angels for ending my misery.

I should admit that the book didn't stand a chance in front of the blurb or may be the wait was too much. But seriously,
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Summer Heat by Rachel Van Dyken is book One in the Cruel Summer series. This is the story of Ray and Marlon. Ray is thought of as a 'Princess' and Marlon was the boy that mowed her lawn, a foster kid and one that the other kids picked on. They were never really friends, although both thought the other one was attractive. Ray did go along with the other kids sometimes to stay cool and which did cause Marlon to be hurt. Now years later Marlon is totally different and they find themselves together ...more
Tongan Book Lover
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nooooo! 😭😭 I NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOW! Omg. Im a sucker for brooding assholes, for enemies to lovers books & for second chances. There is so much depth to this baby, so much heartache, I felt my soul come apart while reading it. Its such a hot book, because the chemistry between Marlo and Ray is sizzling. This is a book about betrayal, about love & about judging a book by its cover. Its amazing and the next addition cant come any faster! ...more
Silke
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-adult, read-2019
Summer Heat gets raving reviews across the internet. So I was really intrigued. Especially because I dont read a lot of new adult. The main reason why I dont read the genre that often anymore is because I am pretty disappointed with the storys. Apart from Colleen Hoover there hasnt been an author who really knew how to captivate my attention for longer than a few pages. I really hoped that Rachel Van Dyken could work her magic on me. Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed.
Before diving into
Shorouk Abd Elhamed
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: page-turner
It was a good story. New adult usually not my genre and I hate many of its books but I liked this book . I liked listening from the rich princess for the first time . This story shows that a person could change and that appearances isn't everything.I wished the more deep meanings took most of the story but I think this genre defines how the story goes.I liked the author writing style,too.
Julie
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Revenge is a dish that is best served cold. That is the reality that Ray is facing in her current situation. Repercussions from her teenage years are coming back to haunt Rays situation today. Years ago Marlon was the handyman for Rays family. After one night together, the two found their lives spiraling out of control. The direction that both planned for the future didnt quite work out as either planned.

Seeking employment at a local summer camp, Ray finds herself answering to a boss that
Kelly (the book hussy)
A super quick read. Enemies to lovers. Set in a drama summer camp.

Ray is the former mean girl
Marlon is the former nerd, now hottie

The chemistry between these two characters sizzled! And that ending?! Saw that one coming. Im glad book two is already out!

And part of me, the part that loved her fire, smiled and craved the challenge that she would bring. The fire that she hid beneath that pretty exterior. The fire just begging to be freed from its pretty prison. And maybe, that was the problem. She
Jeannine
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well hello campers. This was just getting good and then it ended on a cliffy. I like the whole idea of theater camp and then throw Dirty Dancing in there as the musical...sold! Im going to need to check out the other two books to see how everything goes down. ...more
Flo Grugel
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That ending! I love how this was a novella, it's worked perfectly and I need more right now!!!
Shierly
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
😭 cant wait for the next two books!
D
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun summer read! While the trope is the typical rich, spoiled girl has the hots for the boy from the wrong side of the tracks, I loved the premise of the story and the characters. Marlo and Ray have good back story and great chemistry. And like most RVD books there is a good balance of humor, sexiness and a tiny bit of angst to keep you turning the pages.
Even though I knew this was the first instalment of three, I was not expecting the whopper of a cliffhanger at the end. I need the rest of
Michele
*Phew!* That last scene....you know the one...the cliffhanger....it was also a smoking hot scene! I'm dying here! I'll have to rush and grab books 2 and 3 because I HAVE to know what happens to Ray and Marlon ("Marlo").

Ray and Marlo have a history. She was the spoiled rich girl and he mowed her lawn. They went to high school together and she ran with the popular crowd and he was viewed as a nerd. Even I think he believes her life was better than it truly was. I think she lived a life which
Rebecca
I am a sucker for hate to love, so when one of my favorite authors decided to feature this trope with a summer twist, I couldn't wait to dive in. Marlo is a little aloof in the beginning, but he quickly won me over. I adored Ray and ached for her struggles with abandonment. Ray and Marlo have a past but this romance is focused on the present. RVD does a fantastic job creating sexual tension and chemistry between these two. I couldn't get enough of the banter and stolen tender moments.

"Things
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Fashion Jungle
  • Enemies
  • I Hate You
  • Dear Ava
  • Cruel Prince (Royal Hearts Academy, #1)
  • The Dugout
  • Fake It 'Til You Break It
  • Park Avenue Player
  • The Day He Came Back
  • Broken Knight (All Saints High, #2)
  • Angry God (All Saints High, #3)
  • Dirty Letters
  • Teardrop Shot
  • Resist (Wicked Ways, #1)
  • Crew Princess (Crew #2)
  • Love You Now (Love Hurts, #2)
  • Hate the Game (Love Games #1)
  • The Cruelest Stranger
Rachel Van Dyken is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of regency and contemporary romances.

Hey guys I'm rarely on Goodreads, if you need to reach me feel free to email!
EMAIL ME: rachelvandykenauthor@gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachel-...

Cruel Summer (3 books)
  • Summer Seduction (Cruel Summer, #2)
  • Summer Nights (Cruel Summer, #3)