Start by marking “Summer Heat (Cruel Summer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer Heat (Cruel Summer, #1)

Summer Heat

(Cruel Summer #1)

Spoiled Princess is what he used to call me.
We were an inferno of hate and passion wound up with a dash of chaos.

For four years I watched him mow my lawn.
For four years I watched my friends make fun of him.
For four years I hated myself for wanting him, but even more for the way I treated him.

And then I had him.
For one night, we put all labels away and I spent the best nigh
Published August 2nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Summer Heat, please sign up.
Andrie Rachel Van Dyke's site says it's exclusive on iBooks. I don't know if she'll put the book on other platforms later on

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
This is the first book in the Cruel Summer series by the lovely Rachel Van Dyken. It’s a quick and easy read, with a trope of enemies to lovers, and second chance for those of you that love these kind. But heads up, There is a cliffhanger, so be ready to dive into the next.

I was hooked from the start of this book, and dang, I can't wait for more!!! The ability this author has to create these characters is amazing!! Marlon & Ray are both wonderful and this story is perfectly played out, I ju
Susan's Reviews
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Marlon and Ray have a history: he was a handyman and worked for her parents. Ray was the pampered rich girl who took what she wanted. Ray seduced Marlon one summer, then turned her back on him. Now, she works for him at a summer camp and he is in a position to exact some revenge. There was a lot of love.hate banter and sexual tension between these two characters, and the shower scene in
Jemima
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I cannot believe it took me this long to read this book.
Absolutely loved Summer Heat.

Loved the flow of the book. I loved how easy and quick this book was to read. Granted it did end on a rather abrupt cliffhanger which, by the way, I need the second book stat!

Dali
With “Summer Heat,” the first of the Cruel Summer trilogy, Rachel Van Dyken delivers on its title, turning up the temperature between two enemies who have so much passion between them they can't hide it and can barely contain it.

While Ray had looks and money, Marlon was the nerd foster kid who mowed her lawn and the popular kids picked on. All through high school she loved him from afar but wanted acceptance even more. She ignored him while others made fun of him, except for the night they had t
Kate R
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is the first book in the Cruel Summer series. It’s a super quick easy read, with an enemies to lovers trope set in the summer camp world. I haven’t read a book set in a summer camp, let alone one that based solely on drama and theatre. There is a cliffhanger, so be prepared.

Marlon and Ray have known each other for a few years. Marlon used to mow Ray’s parent’s lawn. She was always the spoiled princess in his eyes, and he was always the nerd in her eyes. They reunite 4 years later at a summe
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

font_rend_3

Summer Heat by Rachel Van Dyken is your quintessential must read this summer! It’s one of those light easy reads that hooks you right from the start. RVD introduces readers to Marlon and Ray. Ray is your rich privileged girl and Marlon is the skinny foster kid, who mows her lawn. Ray and Marlon shared a moment but the next day, she ignores him. Fast forward four years later, Ray and Marlon meet again but this time around, Marlon isn’t the
BookSmacked
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gawd !! RVD comes at ya with a sizzling summer read, full of sexual tension that might just melt your IPad, iPhone whatever device you use to read.

Marlon and Ray are enemies. Ray is the spoiled rich princess and Marlon is the foster kid who mows her lawn and gets picked on at school.

Years later these two meet up again and Marlon isn’t that skinny kid anymore and this time he’s set to make her suffer.

These two are like fire together and there is definitely no love lost whatsoever. That o
Tracy  C
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The push and pull between Ray and Marlo is sizzling. Crossed signals, fear, immaturity, unrequited love and unacknowledged chemistry...what a delicious combination! This first installment of the Cruel summer series left me wanting more. This series of books are an iBook exclusive and are not out on Kindle yet. I'll be getting the other two to read on my phone because I MUST KNOW THE REST.
Becca
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ray and Marlon will pull you in all directions. I feel this is RVD's best work to date.

So what happens when the one person from your past, you really wanted to forget about - all of a sudden shows up at the Summer camp you are the director at? Well for Marlon - it brings up a lot of anger and maybe some revenge.

Ray and Marlon had been friends since they were little kids. With his foster mom working for Ray's family, she was always a part of his life. Until High School things changed. Ray was th
Escape into a Booksite
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ibooks
*5 Stars*

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THAT CLIFFHANGER?

RVD does it again with the first instalment of this series. I was captivated by the characters and their history, and getting to know them in by present. Watching them interact and trying to work out how they felt about each other was awesome.

This is a really fast read and with that ending I CANNOT WAIT for the next instalment to be released.

I really want to dig deeper into the story of
« Court (Take the Read) »
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Ugh, that cliffhanger. I need the next book NOW!! I feel like we haven't even begun to peel back the layers of both Marlo and Ray. We got the general backstory: known each other from childhood, she the popular girl, he the poor adopted son of the housekeeper. One heated night years ago, and the hatred that followed after. Now they're back together at 22, both counseling at a drama camp and none of the spark between them has dimmed in the slightest. He agrees with a fellow counselor that the best ...more
Amanda
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summer Heat was just that, full of heat! This was such a fun light and short read. I read it while getting some sunshine out on the back deck and it was just what I needed! I loved the characters and the enemies to lovers pure hotness going on in this gem.

Rachel Van Dyken always writes such angsty books and I love it! There was a huge cliff hanger at the end though and I can't wait to read more of Marlon and Ray's story because I was totally invested in their sizzling heat they had going on.

If
bookmarkbelles
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received an ARC from Netgalley.

I was in the mood for an enemies to lovers story and was excited to jump into this book. The amount of Angst between Ray and Marlo had me devouring this book in one sitting. Unfortunately this was a short read because the story continues in the next two books. As much as I want to rate it a 5 star I have to give it a 4 since the other books arent available to those who dont have ibooks.
❤Sana❤
⭐4 Marlo stars⭐

“I felt her then. Maybe I smelled her first. Like the worst sort of sin I could commit in this lifetime — like both my enemy and my friend.”

I read the blurb and kept obsessing about this series, checking my husband's ipad like a lunatic.

The moment the last book was out I was ecstatic and I felt like I really needed to kiss all the ipad angels for ending my misery.

I should admit that the book didn't stand a chance in front of the blurb or may be the wait was too much. But serious
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Summer Heat by Rachel Van Dyken is book One in the Cruel Summer series. This is the story of Ray and Marlon. Ray is thought of as a 'Princess' and Marlon was the boy that mowed her lawn, a foster kid and one that the other kids picked on. They were never really friends, although both thought the other one was attractive. Ray did go along with the other kids sometimes to stay cool and which did cause Marlon to be hurt. Now years later Marlon is totally different and they find themselves together ...more
Tongan Book Lover
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nooooo! 😭😭 I NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOW! Omg. Im a sucker for brooding assholes, for enemies to lovers books & for second chances. There is so much depth to this baby, so much heartache, I felt my soul come apart while reading it. It’s such a hot book, because the chemistry between Marlo and Ray is sizzling. This is a book about betrayal, about love & about judging a book by its cover. It’s amazing and the next addition can’t come any faster!
Shorouk Abd Elhamed
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: page-turner
It was a good story. New adult usually not my genre and I hate many of its books but I liked this book . I liked listening from the rich princess for the first time . This story shows that a person could change and that appearances isn't everything.I wished the more deep meanings took most of the story but I think this genre defines how the story goes.I liked the author writing style,too.
Kelly (the book hussy)
A super quick read. Enemies to lovers. Set in a drama summer camp.

Ray is the former “mean girl”
Marlon is the former nerd, now hottie

The chemistry between these two characters sizzled! And that ending?! Saw that one coming. I’m glad book two is already out!

And part of me, the part that loved her fire, smiled and craved the challenge that she would bring. The fire that she hid beneath that pretty exterior. The fire just begging to be freed from its pretty prison. And maybe, that was the problem.
Jeannine
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well hello campers. This was just getting good and then it ended on a cliffy. I like the whole idea of theater camp and then throw Dirty Dancing in there as the musical...sold! I’m going to need to check out the other two books to see how everything goes down.
Flo Grugel
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That ending! I love how this was a novella, it's worked perfectly and I need more right now!!!
Shierly
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
😭 cant wait for the next two books!
Michele
*Phew!* That last scene....you know the one...the cliffhanger....it was also a smoking hot scene! I'm dying here! I'll have to rush and grab books 2 and 3 because I HAVE to know what happens to Ray and Marlon ("Marlo").

Ray and Marlo have a history. She was the spoiled rich girl and he mowed her lawn. They went to high school together and she ran with the popular crowd and he was viewed as a nerd. Even I think he believes her life was better than it truly was. I think she lived a life which lacke
HeatherP
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc
I have never been more happy that I read on an iPad than I am right now. I am sooooo glad I got to read this book by Rachel.

"I was asking for trouble. And heartache all in one. But his eyes? Those eyes, they haunted me."

I've read a lot of insta love stories the past few weeks, not by choice but because I signed up for them not knowing that they were that kinda story. Luckily they all turned out to be good books despite that aspect. The issue I have with insta love is that it takes away my fav
Jabnia
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-reads
Despite the length of this book, it was quite well-structured, I never felt that the story lacked complexity because of its length, it also wasn’t too fast paced nor it was an instant-love kind of book. Since it the book ends on a cliffhanger, a fantastic one might I add, we didn’t get to see the resolution, which is why the author was able to structure a good book, but still, keeping it short.

This story hooked me from the first few chapters, the plot, the characters, and the dialogue were real
Rebecca
I am a sucker for hate to love, so when one of my favorite authors decided to feature this trope with a summer twist, I couldn't wait to dive in. Marlo is a little aloof in the beginning, but he quickly won me over. I adored Ray and ached for her struggles with abandonment. Ray and Marlo have a past but this romance is focused on the present. RVD does a fantastic job creating sexual tension and chemistry between these two. I couldn't get enough of the banter and stolen tender moments.

"Things are
Up All Night With Books
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
Review by Lisa
Late Night Reviewer
Up All Night w/ Books Blog

Summer Heat by Rachel Van Dyken is the first book in the Cruel Summer series and it is so appropriately named!!

It brings heat, tension steam, and chemistry. It is so well written and I am dying to find out more because the way this one ended is well done. Well played, Ms. Van Dyken, well played.

Two enemies, that have watched each other for four years. Four years of watching her friends bully him. Four years of hating herself, bu
K's Secret Books
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
You guys can tell when I'm stoked about something, right? I am STOKED. I'm in love with this story. The Cruel Summer series is made up of three parts. Summer Heat is part one. It's exclusive to iBooks right now. This was my first time reading on my iPad instead of my kindle. I know shocker right. I loved it. So don't be afraid to try out iBooks if you aren't currently using it.

"You know how people have enemies and then the people you know would drown you in a pool of your own blood if they had t
Lisa
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh My Gosh, this book defiantly brought the heat. I love this! Ray was a popular mean girl in high school. Marlo on the other hand was the boy who happened to mow her lawn and also had a crush on her. Several years later they end up at the same place, and Marlo is still angry with Ray. Among all the anger, tension and passion, this book also reminds us we should not judge others by outer appearances, you never truly know what's really going on in their life. I love the story line, it had me laug ...more
Pamela Lilley
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
An iBooks exclusive trilogy, and book 1, Summer Heat, is currently free. Maybe it’s alway free, I’m not sure, but it’s an excellent way to make sure you buy the additional books, and buy them you must, because let’s face it, the author pulls you in with her excellent writing, her addictive storyline, and two characters you just want to lock in a room until they finally realise how truly good for each other they are. Enemies to lovers to..... I'm guessing enemies again after that whopping cliffha ...more
Ri
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though I generally read my books through the Kindle apps on my iPad, I often forget that I have actual iBooks to read too. This was one of those stories that I was quick to purchase but forgot I owned because I was waiting for all the stories to come out and that this was exclusive to iBooks. I have just now finally sat down to read them all after getting an ARC from NetGalley and then realizing that I already owned the series.

I am a little disappointed in myself because this was a very cut
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Backstage (Boy Band #2)
  • Hollywood Blackmail (Seacliffe Medical #1)
  • Tempted (In Too Deep, #2)
  • Breakaway
  • He Belongs with Me
  • Black Ice (Stark Springs Academy #3)
  • The Ways We Lied
  • Under Her Skin
  • Loving Alek
  • Losing the Ice (Ice #2)
  • Faded (Rock Star Trilogy, #2)
  • Riled Up (With A Kiss, #2)
  • Fangirl
  • Broken (The Guitar Face Series Book 1)
  • Love Songs for the Road
  • Just a Little Sincerity (Just a Little, #3)
  • Gravity (Artistic Pricks Ink, #1)
  • On the Fly (Las Vegas Sinners, #1)
Rachel Van Dyken is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of regency and contemporary romances.

Hey guys I'm rarely on Goodreads, if you need to reach me feel free to email!
EMAIL ME: rachelvandykenauthor@gmail.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachel-...

Cruel Summer (3 books)
  • Summer Seduction (Cruel Summer, #2)
  • Summer Nights (Cruel Summer, #3)