Start by marking “It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity” as Want to Read:
It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity

It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity

A picture book that introduces the concept of gender identity to the youngest reader from writer Theresa Thorn and illustrator Noah Grigni.

Some people are boys. Some people are girls. Some people are both, neither, or somewhere in between.

This sweet, straightforward exploration of gender identity will give children a fuller understanding of themselves and others. With
Published June 4th 2019 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about It Feels Good to Be Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Feels Good to Be Yourself

Start your review of It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity
Raven Black
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is going to be on every banned and challenged list out there. Seems accessible to kids and could help parents. Extra material at the end for parental use.

It won't change your mind on the subject, but might give you a language to use
Danika at The Lesbrary
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute! A great introduction to gender for young kids. I loved the artwork, which is done by a non-binary illustrator (and the words are written by the parent of a trans child). It includes two non-binary characters: ones who feels like both a boy and a girl, and one who doesn't feel like either. Very simple, clear, and gentle, with adorable illustrations showing a variety of characters with different gender expressions. Also includes a list of resources in the back.
Jamie
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this illustrator's art! Colorful, vibrant, fun. It is a great fit for this book about gender identity.
Lydia
wow i fucking love this. stunning, stunning illustrations ugh. the watercolours. the line work. the texture. UGH. i love.

words are, of course, super important too. the whole thing is so beautiful inside and out and makes me feel THINGS.
Kelsey
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Age: Kindergarten-3rd grade
Identity: Nonbinary Transgender illustrator

A simplified, straight-forward approach to explaining gender identity to the little ones. Via fictionalized children, Thorn presents transgender, cisgendered, non-binary, gender-fluid, and gender identities that cannot be captured in words. There is a lot of information to digest but Thorn is reassuring, repetitive, and connects with the audience through your/you pronouns.

Although the societal process of mis-gendering is
Allie
The more words kids hear, the more words kids know!

Clear, readable, kid-friendly, gorgeous -- basically everything I could want for this book! I think one of the easiest selling points is actually the title because it's such a perfect statement that encapsulates so many parts of identity. For children it truly is a matter of the more words they hear the more words they know. Noah Grigni, the illustrator, mentions in their note at the end that they grew up without access to words like
Earl
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great new book to help start conversations about gender identity for kids who are asking questions and adults who are supposed to know the answers. This is a wonderful way for everyone to learn a complicated but necessary subject.
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2019 added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Gretchen
Shelves: gender, picturebooks
God bless this book.

It's a little teachy, but the illustrations are colorful, and the text is fairly simple.

It introduces kids to concepts around gender identity, and here's the part where I was all, "God bless this book":
See, when you were born, you couldn't tell people who you were or how you felt. They looked at you and made a guess. Maybe they got it right, maybe they got it wrong.

What a baby's body looks like when they're born can be a clue to what the baby's gender will be, but not always.
Kristen Bezner
No, YOU'RE crying

This picture book belongs in every school and library: it is not just essential for those with gender nonconforming children in their lives, it is also a critical tool for discussing issues of gender identity and expression in a way that is empathetic, respectful, and affirming. Noah Grigni’s colorful illustrations are beautiful, inclusive, and representative of the diversity in the queer community.
Amity
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heck yes.

That's it, that's the review.

Okay, a little more - love the illustrations and love the simple explanations that will hopefully give people a better idea of language surrounding gender and gender identity.
Ben Truong
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It Feels Good to Be Yourself: A Book About Gender Identity is a children's picture book written by Theresa Thorn and illustrated by Noah Grigni, which introduces the concept of gender identity to young readers.

June, at least in my part of the world is LGBTQ Pride Month, which I plan to read one children's book, which pertains to the subject everyday this month. Therefore, I thought that this book would be apropos for today.

Thorn's text is rather simplistic, straightforward, and informative. The
Aolund
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An elegant and gorgeously illustrated book about gender identity for young readers and their families! This book simultaneously manages to be concise and expansive, favoring an approach that recognizes the truly diverse forms gender can take ("more than could fit in one book") instead of attempting to pin down or define different gender identities too strictly.
KDV
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Clear, concise and affirming -- perfect! The illustrations are also super appealing.
Woody Chichester
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Something that seems to be so hard for adults to grasp, made super clear and easy to understand. IN A KIDS PICTURE BOOK! 5 stars. I recommend this for ages 3 to 100.
Meredith
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Very matter-of-fact. Will people freak out if I get for my libraries? Not sure. Also not sure if I have any students who need it currently ... but in the past 8 years, there were definitely 2 that it would have maybe helped.
Panda Incognito
This book introduces the concept of gender identity to children, explaining the typical terminology that children will encounter in today's society, but despite its good intentions, gentle approach, and message of acceptance, it's likely to confuse more kids than it consoles. This book provides no real explanation or context for what gender means, why it is significant to people, or why anyone would feel a need to identify as something other than their sex at birth. The weirdest thing about this ...more
Becky
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit repetitive, but this is absolutely needed in public and school libraries whether people agree with it or not. I think it's VERY well done and inclusive of all gender identities.
Melissa Neufer
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ADORE this book. Simple and easy for anyone to understand gender equality. Love the illustrations.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Andrew
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
An informative book, rather than a story, explaining the concept of gender in a way that is straightforward and easy for children to grasp. This book not only has a pretty color palette, but can help children to understand their peers that may differ from them-- especially at an age a person begins to form an identity. Not only that, but this will help kids to understand themselves as well, if they feel different from those around them. It is of utmost importance we encourage children to find ...more
Beverly
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this for Mock Caldecott voting. Nicely illustrated. I think this is a great book for those members of society who want to be sure their children grow up with every option open and available to them. As a 70 year old woman, it's hard for me to believe that this situation arises as frequently as this book may imply. On the other hand, i believe that every person has the right to be who they really are and identify themselves that way without fear of harassment or exclusion.
Liaken
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is a lot to like about this book. The art is beautiful in its diversity. The pictures were endlessly interesting and drew me in. The text is very sincere and trying. Trying too hard, I would say. It gets repetitive in a way that makes the concepts start to seem vague and meaningless instead of clearer. My favorite part of the text are the author and illustrator statements at the end. The author has a trans daughter and the artist is nonbinary trans. Definitely worth a look.
Erika
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is beautiful, wonderful, and oh so necessary! I wish everyone every where, regardless of age would read this book. There is terminology that is explained and a celebration of the amazing diverseness of people and the importance of listening to children. The back also includes some great resources and book recommendations for kids and adults to read surrounding gender identity. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!
Ashley
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens, lgbt
Really great book, and I definitely recommend it to parents trying to explain gender identity to their child. Everyone should take a moment to read this, honestly. It also has really pretty watercolor art.
Monica
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some kids books on this subject are too wordy or just not appealing visually. This one accomplishes so much with it's simple language and beautiful illustrations. I'll be sharing this one with my 7 year old ASAP.
Sarah Wiwchar
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: lgbtq
REALLY liked this
Kris Dersch
This is really well done. I love the illustrations, I like the book's own acknowledgment that there are too many identities to fit in one book so this is just giving you a taste, I like its basic and matter-of-fact tone. Great book.
Kirsti
Gorgeous book about all the different genders. Explanations are simple without being simplistic. Very loving, affirming tone. I also enjoyed the illustrator's color palette.
ISMOTU
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This wonderfully illustrated and written book very simply outlines the basics of gender identity for children (and grown ups) in an inclusive and supportive way. I think this book should have a home on every child's bookshelf.
Tasha
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Daisy loves to ride with her father on his motorcycle. After he finishes his work in construction, he always has time for an evening ride with her. They ride like a comet on the hot asphalt, zigzagging through the streets. Together they rumble through their Southern California town and visit all of the sites that Daisy loves. There is Joy’s Market where they see their librarian shopping. Murals on the walls tell the story of their history as Mexican-Americans. They plan to stop for a sweet ...more
Rana
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, lgbtq
Great book for children who are questioning or realizing their true identity. Great for parents who have children who are questioning or realizing their true identity. Great for children who may have someone in their life who is questioning or realizing their true identity. Great for adults who need a straight forward, simple explanation about what gender identity means.
« previous 1 3 4 next »