Start by marking “Llama Destroys the World” as Want to Read:
Llama Destroys the World

Llama Destroys the World

(A Llama Book)

Meet Llama, the next great picture-book megastar, who has most definitely driven a bus and who loves tacos way more than you.

He also loves cake, and that’s where our story begins.

On Monday, Llama discovers a pile of cake, which he promptly eats.
On Tuesday, Llama squeezes into his dancing pants, which he promptly rips.
The force of the rip creates a black hole (naturally).
By
Published May 7th 2019 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Start your review of Llama Destroys the World
Zachariah
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"DAT," said Zach, pointing at this book.

You may think you do not need to read a book about a llama destroying the world.

That would be your first mistake.

You may think you'd rather eat piles of cake or a giant sandwich instead.

That would be your second mistake.

You may think yourself too refined and reread War and Peace for the ninth time.

That would be your third mistake.

"DAT," said Zach, pointing yet again to this book.

You've been told.
Tim Johnson
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Llama spelled backwards is Amall. As we all know this is the name of an ancient Toltec god also known as the great devourer. Nostradamus predicted that Amall would become enraged after eating a disappointing lemon meringue pie and would then destroy the universe in order to punish the chef who produced the offensive pie.

Llama Destroys the World is clearly derivative of the Amall legend. Instead of lemon meringue it begins with cake. Instead of rage there are a pair of pants that get torn and som
Hilda
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Llama ate all of the cake. This was his first mistake. *Burp* It was an honest mistake. It was a delicious mistake. One of those mistakes that leads to more mistakes and, eventually, the ultimate doom of everything.

To tell you I laughed out loud the whole time reading this is an understatement. I laughed way too much at the bookstore, then again earlier today, and again just now! I'm scared I'll like this book way more than my third graders. With sentences like, The pants did not fit. (He was st
Becca Jacquin
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are very few childrens books I laugh this hard at, let alone read it 3 times in one day (The best is when you're friend is a children's programmer and does the voices)
This book will have parents laughing right along with the kiddos.
Also, I'm sorry (not really) but this is one of the two children's books that I will be gifting when asked for book in lieu of card regardless of whatever is on the list. You'll thank me later.
Cassie
Dec 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
A book about a llama...how much fun, I thought! I then I read it. Huh? Poor cute llama stuck in a bad story.
Katie
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for anything with llamas and the art in this is really cute. Basically, llama eats too much cake and has a hard time getting into his favorite dancing pants (relatable). While he's dancing around, he rips his pants which also causes a black hole to open up and swallow the earth.

On the other side of the black hole, llama eats too much pie...

I think I wanted more finite consequences to llama eating too much cake and opening the black hole. Destroying the earth was somehow very subtle.
Carey
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, I label/cover a book that just demands a closer look and this was one of them. Absolutely adorable, silly, and fun. The cake and pants struggle is real, llama. I'll be buying this one for my four year old niece.
Rick
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I kind of wanted to add a "science" tag - but, of course, it's not really science. Wonderfully delightful. (Conspicuous consumption destroys the world - good lesson for everyone in America, pay attention now).
Rod Brown
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
God, this is stupid! But I let myself roll with it and had a good time. Go, Llama!
Adele
Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is so very, very bad. This is one of those picture books that actually makes me angry. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Carrie
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I am Llam"

Love this.
KC
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Funny Llama, cake and pants that don’t fit...
Gemma
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. This is a great book for children.
Everything you could want in a childrens book, its quick, fun, silly and has clear bright colourful pictures.

I have to say llama in his dancing pants was a highlight for me.
Inge
May 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I will not be sharing the fatphobic LLAMA DESTROYS THE WORLD with my students. Was looking for something light and silly for another synchronous lesson, not a title where a creature's too-fat body rips his pants and causes widespread havoc. Was looking for something light and silly for another synchronous lesson, not a title where a creature's too-fat body rips his pants and causes widespread havoc. He squeezes himself in to his dancing pants, and while his butt looked "groovy", "this was his se ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I don't understand any Llama thing
I don't understand Llama jokes
I don't like Llamas being the butt of jokes. Period.

This series is so damn annoying. Seriously?! A fart that would rip the world?

Did I just make it sound interesting?
No, please don't.
Anmiryam
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, but will children? I hope so!
Erika
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, funny

Pure, unadulterated silliness. Loved it!
Amy Thompson
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally add picture books on my main goodreads account, but I loved this one so much I wanted to share it with everyone. The writing is silly and hilarious, and the illustrations are so stinkin' cute. Especially that llama. :)
Morgan
Very Cute! Best for an older story time audience or a patient one as it's pretty long but very good.
Meredith
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Llama eats too much cake, which sets off a series of events leading to the destruction of the world.

Llama makes three mistakes that result in the end of the world. His first mistake is that he eats too much cake. "It was an honest mistake. It was a delicious mistake. One of those mistakes that leads to more mistakes and, eventually, the ultimate doom of everything."

His second mistake is that he squeezes himself into his dancing pants even though they are too tight. "The pants did not fit. (He wa
Samantha
Feb 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picturebooks
i thought it would be fun, but really, it's one big fat joke disguised as a picture book. Oh haha, the llama overindulged and the rip from his pants destroyed the universe! Isn't that funny? No, no it's not.
Tasha
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The book begins with the prediction that on Friday, Llama will destroy the world. On Monday, it all began with Llama eating far, far too much cake. On Tuesdays Llama dances, so he tried to put on his dancing pants. He had to squeeze in to them because they didn’t quite fit due to the amount of cake he had eaten the day before. His pants ripped, creating a sound loud enough to enter space and create a black hole. On Wednesday, Llama noticed the black hole, did scientific calculations and then mad ...more
Theresa
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This delightful romp is as if someone emptied out the contents of my brain and put them on paper. The story is hilarious and sassy while the artwork is absolutely perfect. I can't re-read this without laughing out loud (not that that's a bad thing). An easy five stars!
Tracy Morton
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoy a good llama story! This is simple enough that you can use it with fairly young children but because it is high interest and funny it will work with older children as well. The illustrations are really cute.
Eris
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute and funny. I wonder if this might be one of those books made more for parents than kids, but it's silly and fun and I'm pretty sure kids will also enjoy it. It definitely did NOT go where I was expecting.
Maura
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The artwork is adorable; I snatched it up as soon as I saw it, thinking that it might be a good one to read for a preschool storytime.

But something about the story fell flat for me and I can't quite put my finger on what...it seemed phoned in? Like here's a bunch of weird random stuff that happens! Turtles wearing tophats! Aren't I so funny?!

Mahlon
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"Dat" was cute, though I can't help but wonder... Is it an extended metaphor for indigestion?
Amanda
I'm bucking a trend here at work and giving it FOUR stars (ha!); I've made everyone read this, and I love the illustrations.
Laurin Blanks
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! "I am llama."
Natasha
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good one for the Clovis's girls!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• You Are Home: An Ode to the National Parks
  • Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All
  • I Am a Wolf
  • I Will Be Fierce
Jonathan is a writer of picture books, a filmmaker, book hoarder, and daring explorer of 24-hour diners. He grew up by the beach in Virginia surrounded by sunshine. Now he lives in Pennsylvania, surrounded by cows. He isn't sure where his life went wrong.

He has four picture books arriving in 2019, including three with illustrator Heather Fox: LLAMA DESTROYS THE WORLD (Holt/Macmillan, Spring 2019),

A Llama Book (3 books)