Start by marking “Llama Destroys the World” as Want to Read:
Llama Destroys the World

Llama Destroys the World

Meet Llama, the next great picture-book megastar, who has most definitely driven a bus and who loves tacos way more than you.

He also loves cake, and that’s where our story begins.

On Monday, Llama discovers a pile of cake, which he promptly eats.
On Tuesday, Llama squeezes into his dancing pants, which he promptly rips.
The force of the rip cr
Published May 7th 2019 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Start your review of Llama Destroys the World
Zachariah
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"DAT," said Zach, pointing at this book.

You may think you do not need to read a book about a llama destroying the world.

That would be your first mistake.

You may think you'd rather eat piles of cake or a giant sandwich instead.

That would be your second mistake.

You may think yourself too refined and reread War and Peace for the ninth time.

That would be your third mistake.

"DAT," said Zach, pointing yet again to this
Hilda
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Llama ate all of the cake. This was his first mistake. *Burp* It was an honest mistake. It was a delicious mistake. One of those mistakes that leads to more mistakes and, eventually, the ultimate doom of everything.

To tell you I laughed out loud the whole time reading this is an understatement. I laughed way too much at the bookstore, then again earlier today, and again just now! I'm scared I'll like this book way more than my third graders. With sentences like, The pants did not fit. (He was still full of c
Tim Johnson
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Llama spelled backwards is Amall. As we all know this is the name of an ancient Toltec god also known as the great devourer. Nostradamus predicted that Amall would become enraged after eating a disappointing lemon meringue pie and would then destroy the universe in order to punish the chef who produced the offensive pie.

Llama Destroys the World is clearly derivative of the Amall legend. Instead of lemon meringue it begins with cake. Instead of rage there are a pair of pants that get
Becca Jacquin
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are very few childrens books I laugh this hard at, let alone read it 3 times in one day (The best is when you're friend is a children's programmer and does the voices)
This book will have parents laughing right along with the kiddos.
Also, I'm sorry (not really) but this is one of the two children's books that I will be gifting when asked for book in lieu of card regardless of whatever is on the list. You'll thank me later.
Carey
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, I label/cover a book that just demands a closer look and this was one of them. Absolutely adorable, silly, and fun. The cake and pants struggle is real, llama. I'll be buying this one for my four year old niece.
Rick
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I kind of wanted to add a "science" tag - but, of course, it's not really science. Wonderfully delightful. (Conspicuous consumption destroys the world - good lesson for everyone in America, pay attention now).
Rod Brown
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
God, this is stupid! But I let myself roll with it and had a good time. Go, Llama!
KC
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Funny Llama, cake and pants that don’t fit...
Anmiryam
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, but will children? I hope so!
Erika
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, funny

Pure, unadulterated silliness. Loved it!
Amy Thompson
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally add picture books on my main goodreads account, but I loved this one so much I wanted to share it with everyone. The writing is silly and hilarious, and the illustrations are so stinkin' cute. Especially that llama. :)
Adele
Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is so very, very bad. This is one of those picture books that actually makes me angry. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Meredith
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Llama eats too much cake, which sets off a series of events leading to the destruction of the world.

Llama makes three mistakes that result in the end of the world. His first mistake is that he eats too much cake. "It was an honest mistake. It was a delicious mistake. One of those mistakes that leads to more mistakes and, eventually, the ultimate doom of everything."

His second mistake is that he squeezes himself into his dancing pants even though they are too tight. "The pants did not fi
Tasha
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The book begins with the prediction that on Friday, Llama will destroy the world. On Monday, it all began with Llama eating far, far too much cake. On Tuesdays Llama dances, so he tried to put on his dancing pants. He had to squeeze in to them because they didn’t quite fit due to the amount of cake he had eaten the day before. His pants ripped, creating a sound loud enough to enter space and create a black hole. On Wednesday, Llama noticed the black hole, did scientific calculations and then mad ...more
Tracy Morton
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoy a good llama story! This is simple enough that you can use it with fairly young children but because it is high interest and funny it will work with older children as well. The illustrations are really cute.
Eris
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super cute and funny. I wonder if this might be one of those books made more for parents than kids, but it's silly and fun and I'm pretty sure kids will also enjoy it. It definitely did NOT go where I was expecting.
Theresa
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This delightful romp is as if someone emptied out the contents of my brain and put them on paper. The story is hilarious and sassy while the artwork is absolutely perfect. I can't re-read this without laughing out loud (not that that's a bad thing). An easy five stars!
Woody Chichester
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is awfully cute, but I'm not sure about the message. I mean. I do love cake and dancing.
Laurin Blanks
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! "I am llama."
Margaux
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm obsessed. The llama does the cha cha slide and causes a cataclysmic world-ending event by eating cake. also. He says, "dat." So I'm in love.
Amanda
I'm bucking a trend here at work and giving it FOUR stars (ha!); I've made everyone read this, and I love the illustrations.
Natasha
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good one for the Clovis's girls!
Mahlon
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"Dat" was cute, though I can't help but wonder... Is it an extended metaphor for indigestion?
Krysta
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious. I think this could be a good story time read for older kids.
Ilona
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a literary masterpiece
Jonii
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of kids book that either makes me wish I was a kid or had a kid. Either would be sufficient reason to read this book over and over and over again. You will want to - because: Llama is a world ending cake eater. I fully believe that no more info is needed than that to enjoy this hilarious book about consequences.
Klwoody
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, llamas, silly
When I was a kid, the idea of a black hole swallowing the Earth kept me up at night
Cromaine Library
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended by librarian Damon
gina
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much fun! The five year old adored this one. This is a pleasure to read to your child!
Baby Bookworm
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Llama Destroys The World, written by Jonathan Stutzman and illustrated by Heather Fox, a positively ridiculous tale of a llama, some cake, and the end of the world.

On Friday, Llama destroyed the world (it was an honest mistake). You see, on Monday, he came face to face with an enormous pile of cake – more cake than any llama should ever eat – and well, what’s a llama to do? He ate it all. Unfort
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Little Guys
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Max Attacks
  • Most Marshmallows
  • What Kind of Car Does a T. Rex Drive?
  • The Panda Problem
  • I Will Be Fierce
  • Ghost Cat
  • The Sad Little Fact
  • High Five
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All
Jonathan is a writer of picture books, a filmmaker, book hoarder, and daring explorer of 24-hour diners. He grew up by the beach in Virginia surrounded by sunshine. Now he lives in Pennsylvania, surrounded by cows. He isn't sure where his life went wrong.

He has four picture books arriving in 2019, including three with illustrator Heather Fox: LLAMA DESTROYS THE WORLD (Holt/Macmillan, S