Start by marking “Somewhere Only We Know” as Want to Read:
Somewhere Only We Know

Somewhere Only We Know

10 00 p.m.: Lucky is the biggest K-pop star on the scene, and she's just performed her hit song "Heartbeat" in Hong Kong to thousands of adoring fans. She's about to debut on The Tonight Show in America, hopefully a breakout performance for her career. But right now? She's in her fancy hotel, trying to fall asleep but dying for a hamburger.

11 00 p.m.: Jack is sneaking into
Published May 7th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

Start your review of Somewhere Only We Know
Emily May
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
“Gobaek.” She paused. “Isn’t it interesting that Koreans have a specific word for that? Because we understand that even saying you like someone is meaningful. In America, the moment is sealed by like, sex or some dramatic love confession. But in Korea, ‘I like you.’ That’s a big deal.”

3½ stars. I have some mixed feelings about this one. I might yet bump up my rating because I did enjoy it quite a bit. Somewhere Only We Know is a sweet, fun one-day romance with short zippy chapters and a few
emma
I regret to inform you that I am losing my marbles.

I imagine you will have one of two reactions to this tragic piece of news. One, you may politely inform me that this is not the first time I have made such a statement, and you would be correct in saying so.

But this time I’m serious.

Or two, you may inquire as to what complex deception I have fallen under in order to believe that I have any marbles left to lose. And this would be very valid. But if there were any remaining marbles before I read t
Kristen
I want an ARC of this more than I want to be Kim Taehyung's headband.

UPDATE 4/30/19: DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE Y'ALL! I GOT AN ARC!!!!
STRONG POWER THANK YOU, EDELWEISS+!
Nochu came through!
So I'm thinking there is (j)hope for me yet for becoming Tae Tae's headband one day.
Quick, somebody tell Yoongi to wish for it to be true so it really happens!
*windshield wiper laughs*

5/3/19: The review, bruh!

First and foremost, thank you so much to the publisher and to Edelweiss+ for providing me with a muc
April (Aprilius Maximus)

This book hit me WAY harder than I was expecting it to, holy moly. This book was so much deeper and more profound than it seemed on the surface and was deeply personal to me. The love interest was also SO lovely??? Also, 10 stars to the amazing anxiety rep!

TW: restricted eating, anxiety
Tatiana
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it

I guess I should stop rolling my eyes at these one-day romances. I now have liked both The Sun Is Also a Star and Somewhere Only We Know. Both times I had started the books with skepticism and then slowly surrendered to the almost-insta-love. Not sure if what happens in these romances is love, but the attraction can happen in one day, and I am clearly capable of falling for this scenario.

It took me awhile to get into this story. Lucky, a K-pop star, is getting ready for bed and takes so
monica kim
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
I just love Maurene Goo books so much! They’re like what i love about my favorite korean dramas, but in book form. This one was no exception. I adored the characters and the whole exploration of going after your dreams vs just going after achievement (honestly, needed that rn in my own life). I also loved the Hong Kong setting, the korean american characters talking about what it’s like to be korean american, and all the kpop! Also, Roman Holliday is one of my all time favorite films, so reading ...more
Emma
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh my this was SUCH a pleasure to read!!
chloe ♡
WAIT WHAT??? IT'S SET IN HONG KONG? OMG I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO READ A YA BOOK SET IN HONG KONG I'M CRYING HAPPY TEARS I WANT THIS ADSFVAKBVVGB CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO COME OUT!

update (12 may 2019): i'm finally done reading this, and oh my god i loved it so much. review to come!
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Things I Liked
• This book feels sooo much like a kdrama and I was LIVING for it! I need Netflix to make an adaptation ASAP.
• The characters! Maurene Goo has always had strong female leads, but I’ve always felt her love interests were severely lacking. This was dual perspective and I think this made both characters so much more dynamic and interesting.
• It was just so goddamn cute! I don’t read YA contemporary too often and I almost never rate it more than 4 stars but this book was an exception!
Amy
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Fun Fact: I adore everything Maurene Goo writes. Do I acknowledge that this is not the best book I've read by her? Yes. Have the majority of my friends quite justly given it 3 stars? Also yes.
Am I still going to give it 5 stars because I enjoyed every moment of it, imperfections and all?

Mmm...yes.

Maurene Goo reminds me why I love YA. These silly, hormonal teenagers fall in love over the course of the day and instead of putting on my grumpy face I'm like...

'Cause they are just so flippin' cu
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
This was SO CUTE. Loved Lucky's character and her chemistry with Jack and their overall dynamic of pushing each other to be better. Wished the plot had been a little less convenient but loved the setting and vibe of this book and the very authentic portrayal of the kpop industry and being Korean American and trying to figure out your dreams.
may ❀
for a book that started off a little eccentric, it really grew into something so sweet.

pros:
- lucky is a really fun, playful, quirky character (her character was really overdone in the beginning, but she grew on me super quickly) but it's done really well that she doesn't seem like a cliche or a manic pixie dream girl
- jack's storyline and background were so interesting to explore. i loved the dialogue on celebrities and their lives and how it was handled in this book. you really get to see
Emer (A Little Haze)
We were like the stars seen from Earth - a memory of something that was already finished.

Somewhere Only We Know is the second book I have read by Maurene Goo in recent months and sadly I didn't enjoy it quite as much as The Way You Make Me Feel.

The premise of the story is that a K-Pop star named Lucky escapes her public image for a day and spends this time with a young, struggling photographer named Jack who himself is trying to escape the life his parents have set out for him.

So tensions a
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Maurene Goo is just such a treat. Her stories never fail to suck me right in and fill me with warmth and giddiness. This particular story of her centered around the world of K-pop which I recently dipped my toe into, and I absolutely adored her rendition of that particular career.

Not only was this a cutesy romance that kept me up until 1 am, but it also had an incredible depth to it as well. Goo showed us both the good (the endless support and inspiration people receive from the music) and bad
Alexa
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
3 stars, and I’d specifically recommend this one to read if you enjoy fluffy (and maybe a little over the top) Korean dramas. There’s a particular aspect that bothered me at the start of this story, but otherwise, very cute, very sweet contemporary story.
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
I really loved Maurene Goo's previous novel, The Way You Make Me Feel, so I had been highly anticipating Somewhere Only We Know. This is the first book Maurene has written that's told in dual perspectives, instead of being told solely by the heroine, and I have to say that I missed the old format (but I do understand why there's a guy on the cover now!). While I did like Jack and getting to know his story / being able to see Lucky though his eyes, I think it took away from the story. Another cha ...more
Fuzaila
You know this incredibly warm, gooey feeling in your tummy while reading romances that you know are cliched, but yet you can't deny yourself that you're enjoying them? This book did that and more - more because, when I say cliched, it isn't bad. This book had a surprising depth. You know what's going to happen and yet it manages to take you off-guard.

I LOVED IT.

It's Hong Kong in the present world. We have Lucky, the K-Pop sensation, a teenager, who's suffocated with her lifestyle even though sh
Stacee
I had really enjoyed Maurene’s previous book and after reading this synopsis, I was eager to get into it.

I liked Lucky and Jack well enough. They’re both good people struggling with what they want to do and in a random occurrence, find a spark. The banter between them was cute and there were definitely some sweet moments. There are a few other characters, but they were all shadows as the real story is Lucky and Jack.

Plot wise, it was okay. It’s fast moving, the setting changes often, and the f
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs

With K-pop becoming immensely popular over the past few years, I thought this book would be a good introduction to it for me. In all honesty, I don't know anything about K-pop aside from it being a music genre (it's a music genre right?). Anyway, this book was going to be my gateway into the K-pop world.

It was a fun and unique read. The story and the characters actually reminded me of the novel, "The Sun is Also a Star" by Nicola Yoon. Both of the stories are different from each other b
Romie
things I liked:
• the themes explored — following your dream and finding out who you really are and what you want to do
• the dual perspective
• the setting + the food — I really liked that we got to ‘visit’ Hong Kong and read about so many kind of Asian food
• the parents of both main characters — very supportive and kind
• Lucky was a very likable character and I wanted what’s best for her
• the anxiety rep was good
• I'm still a huge fan of Maurene Goo's writing — I think it's so easy and nice to re
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 09, 2020 marked it as unfinished
Shelves: audiobook
So I gave this a shot, excited to have a wish-fulfillment fantasy with a k-pop star as an original twist. And the Hong Kong setting really shone in the parts I read. I worried with Jack being a paparazzi and making money with celeb photos because that's a conflict of interest that could have very hurtful consequences. And I was going along with it at first because we see shreds of human decency with Jack in a celeb interaction (not Lucky, someone else) where he's telling himself "I'm not the one ...more
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
MY RATING: 1.5/5 STARS

I received an ARC from Raincoast books in exchange for a honest review.

Honestly, I love what Maurene Goo represents because she's an Asian American author who writes YA contemporaries representing the Asian community but this book was a huge let down. I think I've been under the impression that I loved the previous book she's written because why wouldn't I like a YA novel featuring a character I could relate to in terms of culture? But turns out, I forgot that I actually
Nev
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
2.5 - I didn’t really have high hopes for this book, the premise seemed super cheesy and I didn’t enjoy the other book I had tried from Maureen Goo, I Believe in a Thing Called Love. But I wanted to give this a try to see how kpop was going to be represented in a YA book……… and it was pretty stereotypical. It had all the cliches you’d expect to be in a poorly researched Western article ~exposing~ the “dark side of kpop” without much nuance for the fact that the experience of one group or artist ...more
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Lucky is the greatest KPop singer in Asia—and she's about to break into America too. But she's not feeling it, anymore. The spark is gone, and after failing to fall asleep and exhausted by a 15 city tour, she escapes her hotel room and her bodyguard to get a hamburger. She meets Jack, a boy who doesn't know who she is, and just might have a secret of his own...

description

I did not expect to love this is as much as I did.

I am not a Kpop star, and honestly the various Kpop stans and armies have me hitting th
Emma
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Maurene Goo's book I read and I enjoyed it so much! Even though I'm no expert, I think the author explored K-pop and its world in a very truthful and realistic way. Also, I really enjoyed reading about Lucky and Jack, the two main characters of this story. They definitely had a lot to offer, especially during their in-depth conversations. Their chemistry was palpable and I loved reading about their day in Hong Kong.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Maurene Goo comes u
Gaby
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WE DON'T DESERVE SUCH PERFECT, CUTE, SWOONY BOOKS but dear lord I am so happy they exist and I can read them. If you don't love Jack and Lucky as much as I do after reading this book I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. (JK but also not.)
Sandy
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse-books
3.5

This book follows two main characters: Lucky, a Korean pop star, and Jack, who is interested in photography and has a side job working as a paparazzi. The story is set in Hong Kong right after Lucky has ended her tour in Asia and she’s staying at a hotel but is having trouble falling asleep. She sneaks out of her hotel because she is craving a burger and that is when she runs into Jack, who thinks she’s familiar but does not initially know who she is. Lucky wants a break from her life as a Kp
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Wow, Somewhere Only We Know surprised me. I wasn't jelling with it at first, but when the characters and the story started to develop, the book proved that first impressions are not always correct.

- Follows Lucky, a Korean-American teen who is also Korea's biggest k-pop idol, and Jack, a Korean-American teen moonlighting as a paparazzi, and their incredible one-night adventure across Hong Kong.
- This book reminded me a lot of The Sun is Also a Star - it takes place in one night and is a wonderf
Vicky Again
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was really light and fluffy and sweet--I'm always a huge fan of Maurene Goo's novels and highly recommend.
Cintia
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was one cute, wonderful book! I don’t know where this Maurene Goo reading rush came from, but I don’t regret a second of it.

FULL REVIEW IN MY BLOG:: http://abookandateacup.blogspot.com/2...

• Fake It Till You Break It
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • I'll Be the One
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Frankly in Love
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • Love From A to Z
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Ilmatilaloukkaus
  • Serious Moonlight
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Permanent Record
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • Time of Our Lives
  • Tweet Cute
Maurene Goo grew is the author of several acclaimed young adult novels, including I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE and THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and cat, Maeby.

Articles featuring this book

One of the many things we love about authors is that they tend to have some of the best reading recommendations. So, as we head into our...
“It's not a gift, it's work. That's what you do when you have a dream.” 7 likes