Start by marking “The Miraculous” as Want to Read:

The Miraculous

Eleven-year-old Wunder Ellis is a miracologist. In a journal he calls The Miraculous, he records stories of the inexplicable and the extraordinary. These miracles fill Wunder with the feeling that he is not alone, that the world is magical, that he is part of something brighter than he can imagine.

But then his newborn sister dies, at only eight days old. If that can happen
Expected publication: July 30th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jul 30, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win a hardcover copy of THE MIRACULOUS!

In the tradition of heartwrenching and hopeful middle grade novels such as Bridge to Tera

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 27 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 16 - Jul 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Miraculous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Miraculous

Gail Shepherd
    Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: middle-grade
    I can't think of another middle grade novel that deals with the loss of an infant sibling, and Jess Redman's THE MIRACULOUS does so with such grace and feeling it left me breathless. Having lost a sibling myself, I know just how quickly and painfully even a close family can unravel around the death of a child. Redman gets all that heartbreak on the page as she describes Wunder Ellis's confusion and loneliness, even as she balances it beautifully with a story about how faith in connection and com ...more
    Divine Anas
    Dec 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Awwww look at that heartwarming cover and that blurb!!! Another MG book added to my 2019 tbr!
    Gillian
    Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019, kids
    Some books come straight from the heart, and this is one of them. We meet Wunder Ellis shortly after the death of his baby sister, when his family is still spinning with grief. What follows is an exploration of family, friendship, love—and the miracles that surround us.

If you like heartfelt books with lyrical language, characters that will make you laugh and cry, and a beautifully detailed setting, then you will love THE MIRACULOUS.
    seyma
    Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
    I am fed up with the moms-in-depression. But I love the main character and his crazy friend anyway.
    M.L. Little
    Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    @kidlitexchange #partner: The Miraculous by Jess Redman. Releases July 30th, 2019.
    The Miraculous, set in an America that feels nothing like our America, and completely like a place new and mysterious, brings us a boy named Wunder, his friend Faye, a witch in the woods, and a baby sister who only lived for eight days. The imagery is rich, the dialogue thought-provoking. The characters burst off the page, not because they are so loud or eccentric (with the exception of Faye), but because they are
    Jeanne Ferruolo
    Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    “But sometimes the brightest miracles are hidden in the darkest moments.”

This is what Faye tells Wunder in Jess Redman’s beautiful debut about loss.

I loved this story for so many reasons. First, the prose is gorgeous. I found myself lost in the beauty of the scenes and the words. The imagery throughout the story is magical– the DoorWay Tree, the cemetery, the forest, the Witch and her house.

Second, I fell in love with Wunder and Faye (et cetera, et cetera). Wunder is sincere and real. I was mor
    Naomi Milliner
    Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    This is a stunning book - and, indeed, miraculous to think it is a debut. This story of love and loss and hope is one everyone can identify with. There is so much heart and wisdom in it. I already want to read it again but, even more than that, I want to share it with others. This book will stay with me for a very long time. "No one was ever alone. And no one was ever truly gone... Because love never ended." I hope you read this powerful book, and love it as much as I do.
    Kathie
    May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to the author and Farrar Straus Giroux for an ARC of this book (release date is July 30th)

This is such a beautiful story about loss, love, hope, faith, and miracles.

Wunder Ellis is a miracologist, but when his baby sister dies, he stops believing in miracles. He inadventently befriends a girl named Faye, and together they meet an old woman (who may or may not be a witch) who lives at the place in the woods called The DoorWay House. The woman asks them to deliver several letters for he
    Clare O'Connor
    May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Jess Redman has delivered a heart-warming and emotionally powerful debut novel in THE MIRACULOUS.

The story will capture your heart from the beginning and have you thinking about it long after the last page has been devoured. Beautifully written, the book features a main character with an important message: Miracles exist.

Eleven-year-old Wunder Ellis considers himself a miracologist. A keen observer of the world around him, he researches life-changing stories and events and records them in a bo
    Laurie
    Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Interest Level: 3-6

Do you believe in miracles? Do you believe in witches? Do you believe in reincarnation? These are all questions that 11-year-old Wunder Ellis struggles with. When he was 5-years-old he became a miracologist - someone who believes in and records the miracles of others. He and his parents were walking in the woods and he ran ahead of them. He ended up in front of an old, run-down house that was made of a very odd wood. As a crow cawed above him the spirals in the wood started sp
    Katie Reilley
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to the author for sharing an ARC with our #bookexpedition group!

Beautiful MG novel about the heartbreak and loneliness that accompanies death. Wunder is a miracologist; he studies the miracles that happen in our everyday world. Until one day, tragedy strikes his own family and his belief system is shattered. Enter Faye, who’s struggling with a loss of her own, a mysterious forest, an abandoned house, and a mysterious old woman (witch?) who lives there. This novel brings them together
    Clare Lund
    Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received an ARC from the author, but am not being compensated for my review. A bittersweet story about giving up on a belief in miracles after a tragedy. The setting descriptions were stunning, and the message was beautiful, but I personally had a harder time connecting to the characters. I’d recommend this one for ages 10 and up.
    Amy Robertson
    Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: children, netgalley
    Wunder Ellis is a collector of miracles. That is, until he loses his baby sister upon birth. The Ellis family mournes, each in their own way. It is Wunder, and his belief in miracles, that is able to heal himself, and those around him.

This heartfelt story is beautifully written and a perfect story for youngsters dealing with death. It has hope, grief, family, friendship, magic, healing, faith, and miracles.

The Miraculous is the perfect read for middle graders and their first experiences dealing
    Celia Henry
    Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    THE MIRACULOUS is deeply touching but also funny and exciting. Redman masterfully weaves together grief, hope, friendship and adventure in this amazing debut novel that you just can't put down. Reading this book was pure joy and the final chapters, full of magic, love and mystery, are breathtaking.
    Mandy Stallard
    Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: bookposse
    When we meet Wunder, we learn that he no longer believes in miracles, even though he has been a "miracologist" most of his life. He collected miracles and documented them in a notebook, but something heartbreaking has happened to his family, and they are all in a place dark enough to make him think that miracles no longer exist. In the midst of his grief, he befriends a unique girl named Faye. Faye believes that all things are possible because she knows enough to know that she doesn't know every ...more
    Sam
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Huge thank you to Raincoast for this ARC!

Jess Redman's debut The Miraculous starts with a hard punch to the gut. It's seldom that middle grade novels look at the death of a sibling, and even worse an infant. Our main character, Wunder, has stopped believing in miracles, and is convinced that miracles are not real.

That snippet of information should immediately tell you what a rough ride The Miraculous is going to be. Wunder meets Faye, a girl who has also suffered extreme loss, and the two becom
    Kristin Crouch
    Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to Macmillan Kids for sharing an ARC with Collabookation.
    For the past several years, Wunder has been researching miracles. He scours the newspaper for stories about miracles, interviews people, and records all of the events in a book he calls The Miraculous. He believes that miracles are all around us, if only we look. He believes and lives this.
    Until he doesn't.
    When his infant sister dies, after holding on for eight days, Wunder loses this belief in miracles. If miracles were real, s
    Tiffany Neal
    Thank you, NetGalley for the gigital ARC aid this middle grade.

Wow. What a beautiful book. The writing g was gorgeous. The characters were so real. The story line was intriguing and full of emotion. This middle grade book will be well known. Loss is never an easy subject to tackle, especially in middle grade books, but this story manages to weave hope, love, friendship, and miracles into the experiences of grief in a way that brings light to the loss.

The characters, Wunder & Faye, in partic
    Meag McKeron
    Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: juv-fiction
    The Miraculous explores a very heavy topic (death of a sibling, in this case a sister who was only eight days old) in a way that is accessible to young readers - it's deeply sad, but it is also full of hope. The main character, Wunder, is easy to love. The author does a great job of showing the toll his sister's death has taken on him and how complicated processing grief as a child can be, especially when you add in the fact that the parents are also dealing with their own sadness. I had a tough ...more
    Heather
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    THE MIRACULOUS perfectly balanced loss and hope, grief and humor through the eyes of eleven-year-old Wunder Ellis. I loved this character so much. He was someone so hopeful, so observant of the world around him and the people in it, but when his newborn sister died he closed himself off from those he loved and the miraculous events he believed in. Journeying with him as he connected with his friends (new and old) and as he worked to believe in the miraculous again, warmed my heart.

Faye was anot
    Laurie
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    How can you believe in anything when you have experienced a great loss and are so sad? Jess Redman takes the reader through a journey of discovery with Wunder, Faye and Davy. This beautiful story will have you rising and falling right along with these characters and this whole town. Just when you think sadness will take over, change occurs, there is time for healing, and we all learn what it is like to experience a miracle. Redman's descriptions of nature, specifically the trees and change of se ...more
    Kim Long
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I love books that take place in our world but have a twinge of magic, so I was very interested in this book. It did not disappoint! We're rooting for Wonder from the start, and I've never read a book that deals with a sibling death in such a realistic, yet not-so-depressing-I-want-to-stop-reading manner, Each way Wonder deals with his parents, freinds, and strangers, is spot-on. The magical mystery of what's with the witch in the woods is a great complementary plot that really moves the story fo ...more
    Derek Moore
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Jess Redman takes the reader into the world of an 11 year old boy whose newborn sister dies. We go through the healing process of his mother, father and Wunder himself. Wunder is somewhat a quirky person who is fascinated by miracles. It is a well written book to be read by all, young and old. It is full of hope, belief, sadness and wonderment. Jess Redman can make this reader believe in miracles again. I really enjoyed this book and will recommend it to everyone. I have already passed it along ...more
    Aaron
    Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I wondered if I could take another book with grieving being an important part of it, but actually this is the book to read if you think you can't read another book on this topic for MG readers. The people of the small town at the center of this book learn to believe in what they cannot see and find light in the darkest of places. This is no small challenge for an author to pull off, but I think Jess Redman has done it.
    Mariama Lockington
    Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful book about grief, family, friendship and the power of love. The prose soars with lyricism and sharpness, and Wunder and his band of friends will make you laugh out loud, cry, and cheer. This book will stay in my heart for a long and long time, and I can't wait to share it with people in my life, young and old. We need more stories like this—honest stories about what it means to lose someone you love and find them again in those around you.
    Emily Roberson
    Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: middle-grade
    I absolutely loved this book. I can imagine reading it to my own children. It is a lovely meditation on miracles, sadness, joy, death and renewal. I think many children will love this book. It also has humor in the right places. For people who are fans of Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy, The Mysterious Benedict Society, and other lovely books that explore joy and grief in families. So good.
    Ellen
    May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
    Loss, miracles, magical realism, grief, family, afterlife, witches

After Wunder loses his sister, he and his family struggle to move forward. Too emo for my tastes and Wunder was too quirky, but might appeal to some readers.
    Megan Truax
    Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This one gave me a lot to think about. An open-ended view on life, death, and the relationship between the living and the dead, it would be a great fit for a child who has experienced loss and is seeking some semblance of understanding and hope.
    Malayna Evans
    Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A beautiful story about loss ... and about finding the beauty all around us. Wunder and his friends spring off the pages, taking us through an emotional journey. The imagery of the baby sister's empty crib was tragic and beautiful. Terrific, heart warming story.
    MayorEmma
    Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I received an arc of this book on netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I almost did not finish this one because I just lost interest, and i'm not sure how many younger readers will be interested, since it is a weird topic and it moves slow in the beginning.
    At age six, Jess Redman published a poem entitled “I Read and Read and Read All Day” in a local anthology. She knew then, reading her printed words in a real book, that she wanted to be an author when she grew up.

She spent the next couple of decades doing things like surviving middle school, traveling around the world, becoming a therapist, and having two kids. She wrote the whole time.

Then one da