Start by marking “The Miraculous” as Want to Read:
The Miraculous

The Miraculous

Eleven-year-old Wunder Ellis is a miracologist. In a journal he calls The Miraculous, he records stories of the inexplicable and the extraordinary. These miracles fill Wunder with the feeling that he is not alone, that the world is magical, that he is part of something brighter than he can imagine.

But then his newborn sister dies, at only eight days old. If that can
Published July 30th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Miraculous, please sign up.
Jess Redman Thank you for this question! There aren't any plans for a MIRACULOUS sequel at this time, but I do have a second book coming out July 28, 2020! It's…moreThank you for this question! There aren't any plans for a MIRACULOUS sequel at this time, but I do have a second book coming out July 28, 2020! It's called QUINTESSENCE, and you can add it here on Goodreads, and I hope you will!

It's here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...(less)

Start your review of The Miraculous
Gail Shepherd
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I can't think of another middle grade novel that deals with the loss of an infant sibling, and Jess Redman's THE MIRACULOUS does so with such grace and feeling it left me breathless. Having lost a sibling myself, I know just how quickly and painfully even a close family can unravel around the death of a child. Redman gets all that heartbreak on the page as she describes Wunder Ellis's confusion and loneliness, even as she balances it beautifully with a story about how faith in connection and ...more
Christopher
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Wunder Ellis is a miracologist, dutifully cataloging stories of the miraculous in a journal. However, after his newborn sister dies, Wunder stops the stories— miracles don’t exist. But then he meets Faye and, in turn, the woman who lives in the crumbling house near the cemetery. Though Wunder can’t say for sure if she’s a witch, he follows her instructions for a journey that makes him reconsider friendship, grief, and even miracles.

There are few books that, within the first sentences, feel
Gillian
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, 2019
Some books come straight from the heart, and this is one of them. We meet Wunder Ellis shortly after the death of his baby sister, when his family is still spinning with grief. What follows is an exploration of family, friendship, love—and the miracles that surround us.

If you like heartfelt books with lyrical language, characters that will make you laugh and cry, and a beautifully detailed setting, then you will love THE MIRACULOUS.
Mila
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautiful and wholesome story about grief, friendship, and love. I liked the characters and even though there wasn't much of a plot, I enjoyed simply reading about their lives. Plus, I have to say it, the cover is gorgeous.
Kira Simion
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, gift-or-won
The cover is beautiful. No hint of violence, lust, or romance. Just a girl and a boy trying to ride their bikes to --or through-- a supposed adventure. The setting is just stunning, lights with an ombre shadowing and a house that just begs the question of "who lives there?" and what is its importance?

The blurb was exquisite. A boy who believes in miracles and writes about them in his journal. The line on the cover could have been omitted (or at least changed) in my opinion. "There are miracles
seyma
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am fed up with the moms-in-depression. But I love the main character and his crazy friend anyway.
Almira
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wunder Ellis, 11 years old, is what he dubs a miracologist, he has been recording miracles in his "The Miraculous" journal for a number of years - he believes in each and every miracle recorded....... Until the day his newborn sister dies, on that day all and any miracles die within Wunder's heart.

His mother, in her own grief, refuses to leave her room, even for the short funeral service for the lost child - only Wunder, his father and the very "weird" officiating priest are at the service. One
Aaron
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wondered if I could take another book with grieving being an important part of it, but actually this is the book to read if you think you can't read another book on this topic for MG readers. The people of the small town at the center of this book learn to believe in what they cannot see and find light in the darkest of places. This is no small challenge for an author to pull off, but I think Jess Redman has done it.
Jeanne Ferruolo
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“But sometimes the brightest miracles are hidden in the darkest moments.”

This is what Faye tells Wunder in Jess Redman’s beautiful debut about loss.

I loved this story for so many reasons. First, the prose is gorgeous. I found myself lost in the beauty of the scenes and the words. The imagery throughout the story is magical– the DoorWay Tree, the cemetery, the forest, the Witch and her house.

Second, I fell in love with Wunder and Faye (et cetera, et cetera). Wunder is sincere and real. I was
M.L. Little
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner: The Miraculous by Jess Redman. Releases July 30th, 2019.
The Miraculous, set in an America that feels nothing like our America, and completely like a place new and mysterious, brings us a boy named Wunder, his friend Faye, a witch in the woods, and a baby sister who only lived for eight days. The imagery is rich, the dialogue thought-provoking. The characters burst off the page, not because they are so loud or eccentric (with the exception of Faye), but because they are
Darla
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The overall message of this book is contradictory. On the one hand the topic of death, especially that of a younger sibling, is addressed in an accessible way. There is also much hope as the town is brought together by the deliveries of Wunder and Faye. I also loved the way Faye's character was so comfortable in her own skin and steadfast in supporting Wunder (Wundie) in the midst of his family crisis. We are indeed all witnesses of miracles (as defined by Wunder) and slowing down enough to see ...more
Maria
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is now one of my favorite books! I would recommend it to all ages! It is about an 11 year old boy named Wunder, who is a 'miracologist'. Basically he records and studies everyone's miracles. When his sister dies at only 8 days old, he stops believing in miracles and becomes a little depressed. Throughout the book he meets up with Faye, a girl from his school. They notice an abandoned house by the cemetery and an old woman sitting on the porch. They think the woman is a witch. When the ...more
Ava Thompson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh, how I wish I could rate this book better!

Frankly, it disappointed me. The cover, the description, they were all so great... until I actually read the thing. My problems with it included character development (not enough); climax (or possibly un-climax); and resolution (it didn't feel right).

So, I was disappointed. Very disappointed, a fact that disappoints me even more.

"The world is full of miracles. If anyone can find them, it's you."

Tolle et lege.
Katrina
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(So interesting to read this right after My Jasper June because they have a number of similarities but are totally different!)

Amongst all of the grief books this year, this one stands out because it manages to be a fun book even though it’s about serious topics (Faye is hilarious!). And because it’s about a kid wrestling with his faith in the face of loss, which I think is a nice angle. It’s a sort of whimsical, inclusive faith, so I think it’s accessible to people of any faith or none.
Anne Marie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-tragedy, ya-family
I like how this story of sibling infant death, grief, and comfort in connections is brought to the reader. I cried and smiled as the young narrator navigated this terrible loss with a new friend who is grieving her grandfathers death. The message of being connected to the living and the dead may need to be supported and unpacked with a caring adult. The author touches on different cultural ways to honor, remember, and connect with the dead. Note: there is no medium or talking to the dead.
Cozy
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the writing style, very flowery and descriptive, but one of the characters really bugged me. Faye had no respect for anyone's boundaries and I got really annoyed with her. Also sometimes the dialogue felt super unrealistic. Still an enjoyable read though.
Laurie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: 3-6

Do you believe in miracles? Do you believe in witches? Do you believe in reincarnation? These are all questions that 11-year-old Wunder Ellis struggles with. When he was 5-years-old he became a miracologist - someone who believes in and records the miracles of others. He and his parents were walking in the woods and he ran ahead of them. He ended up in front of an old, run-down house that was made of a very odd wood. As a crow cawed above him the spirals in the wood started
Valerie McEnroe
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
When I rate a book I consider two factors, the quality of the writing and whether kids will likely read it. I have no issue with the author's writing. The thoughts and actions of the characters are well-described. They have clear personalities. There's impressive dialogue and deep thoughts. There's a bit of mystery in the form of a woman who lives in a house near a cemetery and is thought to be a witch. There's fantasy in the form of a rare tree that connects people to their loved ones who have ...more
Meag McKeron
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: juv-fiction, debut
The Miraculous explores a very heavy topic (death of a sibling, in this case a sister who was only eight days old) in a way that is accessible to young readers - it's deeply sad, but it is also full of hope. The main character, Wunder, is easy to love. The author does a great job of showing the toll his sister's death has taken on him and how complicated processing grief as a child can be, especially when you add in the fact that the parents are also dealing with their own sadness. I had a tough ...more
Brenda Corral
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Naomi Milliner
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a stunning book - and, indeed, miraculous to think it is a debut. This story of love and loss and hope is one everyone can identify with. There is so much heart and wisdom in it. I already want to read it again but, even more than that, I want to share it with others. This book will stay with me for a very long time. "No one was ever alone. And no one was ever truly gone... Because love never ended." I hope you read this powerful book, and love it as much as I do.
MMill
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wunder has always been interested in miracles. He even kept a special journal with details of miracles from newspapers, books, and first-person interviews with friends and neighbors in his town. But something really terrible has happened, and Wunder just can't believe in miracles anymore. His baby sister never came home from the hospital, his mom won't come out of her bedroom, and his dad stays at work later and later every night. Wunder's two best friends don't know what to say so they don't ...more
Kathie
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author and Farrar Straus Giroux for an ARC of this book (release date is July 30th)

This is such a beautiful story about loss, love, hope, faith, and miracles.

Wunder Ellis is a miracologist, but when his baby sister dies, he stops believing in miracles. He inadventently befriends a girl named Faye, and together they meet an old woman (who may or may not be a witch) who lives at the place in the woods called The DoorWay House. The woman asks them to deliver several letters for
Clare O'Connor
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jess Redman has delivered a heart-warming and emotionally powerful debut novel in THE MIRACULOUS.

The story will capture your heart from the beginning and have you thinking about it long after the last page has been devoured. Beautifully written, the book features a main character with an important message: Miracles exist.

Eleven-year-old Wunder Ellis considers himself a miracologist. A keen observer of the world around him, he researches life-changing stories and events and records them in a
Katie Reilley
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for sharing an ARC with our #bookexpedition group!

Beautiful MG novel about the heartbreak and loneliness that accompanies death. Wunder is a miracologist; he studies the miracles that happen in our everyday world. Until one day, tragedy strikes his own family and his belief system is shattered. Enter Faye, who’s struggling with a loss of her own, a mysterious forest, an abandoned house, and a mysterious old woman (witch?) who lives there. This novel brings them together
Ms. B
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you believe in miracles? Wunder did; he was a miracologist. Some kids collect rocks or action figures; Wunder collected miracles. He clipped newspaper articles and wrote entries in his scrapbook/journal.
But when his eight day old baby sister dies, he stops believing. With the help of his new friend Faye and a mysterious old woman, maybe he can start believing again.
If you believe in miracles or simply want to believe in them, this is the book for you.
Clare Lund
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the author, but am not being compensated for my review. A bittersweet story about giving up on a belief in miracles after a tragedy. The setting descriptions were stunning, and the message was beautiful, but I personally had a harder time connecting to the characters. I’d recommend this one for ages 10 and up.
Mary Lee
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Chock full of metaphors and themes and symbolism: miracles, life, death, light, dark, cycle of life, belief, disbelief. For me, it got repetitive and didactic. It felt like the subtitle should be: Dealing With Grief 101.
Elliott
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jess Redman has created a beautiful, magical, miracle of a book. Her ability to craft a tender, moving story about the complexities of life and death is remarkable. This is a glorious debut novel.
Kristy
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I had this in a big pile that was overwhelming me. I kept starting and stopping books. I skimmed this one but didn’t settle down with it because it was very very sad. So be warned if you’re going to recommend it.
It’s about a boy whose infant sister dies after being alive for only 8 days. His family is awash in grief and so is he... he befriends a girl obsessed with the supernatural and they investigate matters of life after death and faith of all kinds and miracles. It’s so
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Give and Take
  • A Swirl of Ocean
  • Pie in the Sky
  • Count Me In
At age six, Jess Redman published a poem entitled “I Read and Read and Read All Day” in a local anthology. She knew then, reading her printed words in a real book, that she wanted to be an author when she grew up.

She spent the next couple of decades doing things like surviving middle school, traveling around the world, becoming a therapist, and having two kids. She wrote the whole time.

Then one