Start by marking “Forward Me Back To You” as Want to Read:
Forward Me Back To You

Forward Me Back To You

Katina King is the reigning teen jujitsu champion of Northern California, but she's having trouble fighting off the secrets in her past.

Robin Thornton was adopted from an orphanage in Kolkata, India and is reluctant to take on his future. Since he knows nothing about his past, how is he supposed to figure out what comes next?

Robin and Kat meet in the most unlikely of place
Published April 2nd 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Forward Me Back To You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forward Me Back To You

Mitali
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: booksbyme
Wrote my heart into this book. Hope you like it.
Bidisha
Dec 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
IT'S NOT EVEN OUT YET BUT I'M IN LOVE WITH THE BLURB GIVE IT TO ME ALREADY
Seema Rao
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Riveting ~ Heartwarming ~ Challenging

tl;dr: Strength is much more than about muscles

This book is a whole lot of trigger warnings probed and examined, including attempted rape, abandonment, poverty, and racism. Mitali Perkins is a well-known author, presenting balance and well-rounded multi-cultural characters. She uses all those skills here. The quick read, with fast moving short chapters, is hard to read in parts, thanks to the strong, and unflinching writing. In general, I definitely recommend
USOM
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

TW: Trauma, sexual assault, rape

Forward Me Back to You is one those books that takes you by storm. Dealing with Kat's attempted rape, Forward Me Back to You is very much about her journey to deal with her own recovery, her fears, and her anger. At the same time it's about Ravi's struggles with his adopted parents, as well as dealing with issues in hist past that he doesn't even ha
Libby
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always rejoice when there is a new Mitali Perkins book. She tells good stories with real diverse, global characters. This one is no exception. From the riveting beginning with the after effect of Katina's sexual assault to an ending where neither Kat nor Robin achieve their desires and yet where both find a way forward that brings them hope, this book doesn't shy away from difficult topics like human trafficking, but still manages to have grace shine through. I especially like how the American ...more
Karen Reed
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another honest and hopeful story by Mitali Perkins, author of You Bring The Distance Near. Thank you to Netgalley and publisher for an opportunity to review this e-galley.

I will definitely be purchasing and recommending this to teen readers. I have to admit, when I read that the topic included attempted rape and human trafficking I was hesitant to start it. I've read so many heavy books lately I didn't know if I could handle another one. But I'm so glad I did because now I can reassure teens and
Adam Shields
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short thoughts: This is the story of two teens impacted by different types of trauma. Kat fought off a sexual assault at school, but was traumatized by it and by the fact that she was not believed by her school or friends. Robin is now 18 and about to graduate from high school, but still is dealing with the trauma of his adoption, the loss of his birth family and country and culture.

The two of them, along with another teen and a youth pastor go to India for the summer to work with an anti traff
Lisa
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, diverse, netgalley, ya
When three teens from different backgrounds, facing different challenges, go on a service trip to India, they each hope to find the solution to their worries and problems but they discover new friendships instead.

Perkins has great characters and they are fully fleshed out. Kat is recovering after a sexual assault by throwing herself into jujitsu; Robin is struggling with who he is and where he belongs while facing questions about his adoption from India. I liked that this was not a romance - tha
Lesley
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
When 16-year-old Katina is assaulted in the stairwell by the popular star basketball player, her jujitsu skills let her defend herself. But when she reports the attack, it is she who is made so uncomfortable she has to leave school. Her confidence shattered, she wonders if she will ever be able to trust men again.

Robin was born in Kolkata, abandoned by his mother, and adopted by loving, wealthy, supportive American parents at age 3, but he has never stopped thinking about his first mother and hi
Anne
Kat lives in LA and studies Brazilian jujitsu. However, she has a secret and is having a hard time dealing with it so her mom sends her to Boston for the summer.
Robin was adopted from an orphanage in India and is living in India. He's struggling to figure out what to do with his future and may need to come to grips with his past in order to accomplish that.
Robin and Kat both end up on a summer service trip to Kolkata to work with survivors of human trafficking. They both end up discovering some
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
After getting attacked by a guy at school, jujitsu champ Kat has trouble coping with her fee!ings about men, so her mother decides to send her to a friend in Boston, ultimately giving her the opportunity to travel to India to help and learn from young women who have also been victimized. Ravi was born in India and adopted in the U.S. after his mother gave him up. He wants to know why, so he joins the trip to India too. One might think that Perkins would have these two characters fall in love, bu ...more
Robin
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Looking for past often coincides with bumping into your future. I appreciated that the friendships in this book were as front and center as the potential relationship.
All three of these young adults are trying to move forward. One wants to know his past. One needs to rediscover her strength and one needs to branch out from family.
For me, I hated that Grace did not have her own voice. She is an aside in both the other stories even though she had a valuable story herself. She often felt like a w
Mary Ann
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This pulled me in with characters navigating their way through trauma and secrets. It is a book that wrestles with many heavy topics, yet the story shines with sweet moments and fully developed characters. I especially think teens will be drawn to the way Kat and Ravi move through their pain. They both find it hard to share their stories, and both more naturally retreat within themselves; yet it is through sharing, feeling and connecting that they are able to move forward.
Sherry
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Excellent YA fiction, deals with adoption, searching for birth parents, sexual assault, trafficking, faith, and the meaning of family all in the context of an exciting and romantic story that shows both Christian and non-Christian characters as real people with complex motives, thoughts, and desires.
Sam Taylor
LOVED this book! Mitali Perkins writes really thoughtful, powerful stories for teens and this is just another example of that. I really appreciated the depiction of teens finding peace and strength in their religion. That was something I wanted to find in books when I was a teen, and too often didn't. This book is an uplifting example, and I adore it.
Rachel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Real rating: 3.5 stars
Beth
A heartwarming story of identity - Kat, Gracie, and Ravi will stay with me long after finishing the book, as will the stories of all the characters they interacted with.
Nicole
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
the cover is gorgeous
Faith Rice-Mills
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Overall, I felt this was a good read. At times, it was a little slow, but the character development and the beauty in the details made up for that. What I love about Mitali Perkins is that she educates her reader in a such a way that she doesn't realize the significant information she has retained because she is lost in the story. India and its beauty, along with its dark secret, became more of a reality for me, rather than an abstract concept. Perkins is able to do that through the eyes of her ...more
Alex
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiofile
I occasionally like contemporary YA, but I just wasn't feeling this one. It was a bit preachier than I was expecting. I thought the characters were excellent, and the situation was a tough one.

Audiofile review: https://www.audiofilemagazine.com/rev...
nadia (( disquieting thing ))
just saw an arc of this book on fierce reads instagram story and holy shit, there goes one more book i'm dying to read next year
Srishti B.
Aug 21, 2018
Siddhant Shukla
Mar 07, 2019
Clean Romances: FORWARD ME BACK TO YOU 1 8 Feb 13, 2019 11:47PM
Mitali Perkins has written twelve novels for young readers, including You Bring the Distant Near (nominated for the National Book Award) Rickshaw Girl (a NYPL best 100 Book for children in the past 100 years), Bamboo People (an ALA Top 10 YA novel), and Tiger Boy, which won the South Asia Book Award for Younger Readers. She currently writes and resides in San Francisco: mitaliperkins.com.