Start by marking “How to Be Luminous” as Want to Read:
How to Be Luminous

How to Be Luminous

When seventeen-year-old Minnie Sloe's mother disappears, so does her ability to see color. How can young artist Minnie create when all she sees is black-and-white?

Published April 30th 2019 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Be Luminous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be Luminous

Alexa
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Still mulling over my full thoughts on this story. In some respects, it really was quite interesting — especially as a story about grief and anger over the loss of someone beloved.
Jay G
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

*I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

Minnie and her two sisters have always been eccentric, taking after their artistic mother. When their mother goes missing, each sister copes in their own way. Minnie finds herself struggling with the loss of her colours, seeing the world in monochrome. She doesn't know how she will be able to be an artist
Samantha (WLABB)
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
All the color disappeared from her world along with her mother. While trying to remedy the situation, Minnie worries that she might have inherited more than her mother's artistic ability.

My love for grief and loss books was really satisfied by How to Be Luminous. This book was beautiful, heartbreaking, and poignant. Hapgood's exploration of grief was well executed, and she did a beautiful job capturing the different ways people deal with great losses.

The story was told from the point of view of
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
After Hapgood's previous novel, The Square Root of Summer, I was really excited to pick up her latest book. While it was well-written, I couldn't help but feel like I've read similar stories and that there wasn't maybe as much originality as I wanted there to be.

This book follows seventeen-year-old Minnie. After the disappearance and presumed death of her famous artist mother four months ago, Minnie has lost all the colour in her life. Instead of vibrant colours, her entire world has turned gray
Chelsea Girard
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Middle child Minnie and her two sisters have always been able to get through anything together: growing up without fathers, living the eccentric artist lifestyle, and riding out their mother's mental highs and lows. But when they lose their mother, Minnie wonders if she could lose everything: her family, her future, her first love . .
Jill
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Thank you to Net Galley and Roaring Brook Press for a digital copy of this ARC in return for an honest review.

In How to Be Luminous by Harriet Reuter Haphood Minnie and her two sisters, Niko and Emmy-Kate, are suddenly left without their mother. Minnie, the middle sister, finds a suicide note in her mother’s art studio but no sign of her body. Niko has to take over as guardian, Minnie loses all her color, and Emmy-Kate is going out at all hours of the night. Their mother was an artist, as well a
Amber Johnson
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book through a Goodreads Giveaway. The beginning was a little slow for me but once I became invested in the sisters’ story, I couldn’t put it down. The author really portrayed the sisters’ grief well with each of them processing it differently. I felt as though there were a varied amount of characters in the story with flaws and all. I like the way the book ended.
Cassie
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Katelyn Attanasio
A mix of Where'd You Go Bernadette and The Bell Jar, I sometimes felt this books didn't know what it wanted to be. Also, other than the age of the main character (17), I'd have a difficult time classifying this as YA, and I don't think I'd recommend it to most teenagers. I also would have liked to have seen more growth from the main character.

I received an advanced reader copy of this title from NetGalley.
Lindsay Montague
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
This book was beautiful. From start to finish, I was absolutely mesmerized by the language and prose. I was immediately pulled into this whimsical south London town and into the Sloe household. Our main character, Minnie, is struggling with finding her place in her family of artists after the disappearance of their art famous mother, Rachel Sloe. She's also is hit with one of the worst things that could happen to an artist: she's lost her ability to see color.

While there are a few other characte
🌈⭐️RoseOfRainbows⭐️🌈💕
As a daughter of an artist, and as someone who suffers from mental illness; this book brought me to a beautiful place at the end. It's a well told story that makes you ugly cry. Yes, I said ugly cry. And yes you will by the end. But it's the best feeling. It's freeing in a way. And I'm thankful that this book is here. It's well written, thoughtful, emotional and every bit necessary as a song for those of us that have suffering from mental health issues.
Lira
May 04, 2019
Meredith
Mar 18, 2019
Tammy
Apr 09, 2019
Melissa
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2018
Jennifer Topp
May 02, 2019
Book
Nov 15, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018
This book is fabulous, which is not unexpected at all considering how much I loved her first novel.
Eugenia
May 16, 2019
kp_at_fhclibrary
Feb 13, 2019
Harriet Reuter Hapgood
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Martha
Iany Mcgrawn
Nov 23, 2018
Samantha Beverley
May 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
Kind of getting The Astonishing Color of After vibes. Also, I love books about artists.
Mar
May 11, 2019
Sarah Avallone
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really well done. Handling sensitive topics is not an easy thing to do but this was tactful, creative, and honest.
S.M. Parker
Tina
Sep 04, 2018
Vo
Sep 05, 2018
Harriet Reuter Hapgood is the author of THE SQUARE ROOT OF SUMMER and HOW TO BE LUMINOUS. Her first-ever professional writing credit was for Just Seventeen magazine, and she's been YA-obsessed ever since. She likes burritos, cats, Gwyneth Paltrow and young adult fiction, which she plans to write more of, though she's also considering a PhD in Dawson’s Creek. Her surname is Reuter Hapgood, not Hapg ...more