Start by marking “Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me” as Want to Read:
Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me

Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  7,471 ratings  ·  1,612 reviews
Author Mariko Tamaki and illustrator Rosemary Valero-O’Connell bring to life a sweet and spirited tale of young love in Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me, a graphic novel that asks us to consider what happens when we ditch the toxic relationships we crave to embrace the healthy ones we need.

Laura Dean, the most popular girl in high school, was Frederica Riley's dream
Published May 7th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Boxofdelights No, they are best friends, as they always were. Romantic love is not the only kind of love and it is not the most important kind of love. This is one…moreNo, they are best friends, as they always were. Romantic love is not the only kind of love and it is not the most important kind of love. This is one of the major themes of the book.(less)

·  7,471 ratings  ·  1,612 reviews

Start your review of Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
Elise (TheBookishActress)
4 1/2 stars. When you are a teenager, it is very easy to fall into the trap of believing you must settle for the love you can get, rather than love you deserve. If someone chooses to date you, especially if you are just a little less popular, just a little less Good, you choose them, even if they treat you badly and take you for granted at every moment. And it is very easy to convince yourself that ditching your friends for your significant other is some kind of justifiable act because you're ...more
Ariel
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It's beautiful and heartbreaking and infuriating and wonderful. I was flipping through my 2019 reads and realized I forgot to mark it down (I read it during the Reading Rush and honestly that whole week is kind of a blur...) but I loved this so much! Everyone needs to know! It's amazing!
Thomas
I turn 24 this Saturday and this book feels like the best early birthday present ever. I cried for five minutes in my office at work after I finished it. The book's themes of toxic relationships and healthy ones, self-worth and what we seek when we lack it, and the painful wisdom of growing up all resonated with me to my very core. The gorgeous black, white, and pink illustrations helped immerse me in the story as well.

Backing up, the story follows Freddy Riley, a high school student who's
Alice Oseman
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gets full stars for the art style alone!! I'm so amazed by the quality of these lines - I'm someone who has no patience for detail and lives by loose lines, so I'm always impressed by art like this, which is so smooth and detailed yet still so character focused. It must have taken so long to create. The story was great too but the art really blew me away.
emma
2.5

The pros of reading graphic novels:
- pretty art
- quick
- fun

The cons of reading graphic novels:
- I have never, even once, read one that made me feel like the plot or characters were full. Even remotely. Even at all.

Okay, the above claim is a slight exaggeration, because I trade in hyperbole, but it is ONLY SLIGHT. There has probably been one exception, which is Nimona, a book I read in 2016. And the validity of my opinions expires after two years, so. We can’t even trust that.

This particular
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
The art was STUNNING, but the plot did nothing super special for me. Meh
Whitney Atkinson
This is a book I’m nervous giving such a high rating because its controversial subjects can certainly be interpreted many ways but a handful of things stand out to me about why I loved reading this so much.

First, the art was magnificent. Reading this felt like watching a movie because the panels focused on such specific shots and the transitions were lovely. Also, the use of color in this was so significant and overall, the art style was brilliant. Five stars for that alone.

Second, I like that
C.G. Drews
so because I am oblivious and completely terrible, I didn't realise this was gay. So yay!!!! A messy complicated angsty gay graphic novel I thoroughly am pleased I got a chance to pick this up. I particularly love how it said, love is supposed to give something and if it's taking from you and draining you...then maybe you need to reconsider why you're in that situation. And like so true. I've read a lot of YA contemporaries with this sort of plot (being in a toxic relationship but not really ...more
David Schaafsma
I am a straight (cis-gdenderd) male of a certain age. I couldn't imagine the veritable flowering of glbt books as I was growing up that is happening right now. Actually, I couldn't have imagined it ten years ago! And so many strong girl characters! This book, written by Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer, Skim) does not have to hint subtly at issues of attraction; this is a romance without apology, with exuberance (and some pain; see the title). It's a YA story that tells a simple tale of a romance ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Ooooof. This was... such a ride. We need more honest, raw, beautiful queer stories like this depicting both the unhealthy and the healthy aspects of relationships, especially in YA. While not every queer story needs to be painful, not every one has to ignore the very real fact that queer relationships, like all other relationships and friendships in life, still have the potential to be toxic, to be abusive, to suffer from power imbalances, to fall apart. We also need more stories reminding teens ...more
Alexandra ☁
THAT COVER HAS ME BY THE THOAT
Carmen
"The older I get, the less I feel like I can be judgy of people's lifestyle choices." pg. 123

Freddy is a 17-year-old lesbian who is dating a gigantic asshole named Laura Dean. Laura Dean doesn't respect Freddy or care about her. She picks her up when she wants sex and leaves her when she's bored with her. She cheats on Freddy frequently, often in public, often when Freddy is in the same room. She just doesn't give a fuck.

And Freddy keeps going back to her because... ... ... she's amazing in bed?
Acqua
This was the perfect way to start pride month.
One might think a story that isn't a happy love story wouldn't make someone feel that optimistic, but here's the thing: Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me deals with a struggle that isn't unique to queer girls, but with all the nuanced details that are. It's 2019 and we can get stories about messy and complicated relationships like straight girls do, but that aren't exactly the step-by-step "straight girl in a toxic relationship" story. And this is
Julia Sapphire
The art in this collection is STUNNING. I also appreciated the representation and what this book tried to show about toxic relationships. On the other hand...

This book skimmed overall several topics that SHOULD have been properly addressed. A major one being cheating but also (view spoiler).

A character in this book tries to make her girlfriend jealous by kissing someone else... while the girlfriend is also cheating on her throughout the book on several occasions. The
Eilonwy
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eilonwy by: david schaafsma
Freddy (Frederica) Riley has a girlfriend. Kind of. The problem is, Laura Dean keeps breaking up with her. And then reeling Freddy back in. Even Freddy can see that their relationship is not good. But she struggles to escape the magnetic Laura's pull. It's just not that easy to flip from attracted to repelled, even if you think you should.
This was a sweet but sharp story about being young (17) and blinded by the glamour of dating the hottest girl in school. Laura is definitely cute and sexy,
Skye Kilaen
Yes, yes, and yes to this YA graphic novel about a lesbian teen in love with the wrong girl. I'm normally ehhh about main characters who keep making the same wrong decision, but something about this pulled me in and didn't let go. It's a slice in time where the MC is stuck, but elements slowly come together to allow her to break free and move forward. Definitely give it a try if it looks interesting.
Lauren Lanzilotta
Covers like this should be illegal. Every time I see one this beautiful my mind asks the same question. what is restraint?

The art style shown in this graphic novel is absolutely gorgeous if the cover doesn't tell you enough about what’s inside. I loved that Rosemary Valero-O'Connell chose to utilize pink amidst the black and white of her drawings, that added such a lovely layer to the art. Definitely some of the prettiest drawings I've seen used in a graphic novel.

Laura Dean is one of the most
Tatiana
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Wish this story spent as much time on developing characters and relationships as it did on being inclusive and woke. You have to make me understand what is so appealing about Laura Dean first, before I even start contemplating why a polyamorous relationship with her would be a good idea for the MC.

Better than Kiss Number 8, but not significantly better.
Romie
I feel so much lighter after having read this graphic novel. there is such a strong message of hope in this, of loving yourself and not settling for less than you deserve, of trying to find what makes you happy,,,,,such a calming graphic novel (4.25)
Sara
This is a beautifully drawn, lovely graphic novel that flirts just a touch with manga and tells the story of Frederica "Freddy" Riley and her on again off again relationship with the most popular girl in school Laura Dean.

First of all kudos to epically talented Mariko Tamaki for giving us a lesbian character who's comfortable in her own skin and has a great support network of friends and family. Freddy is every teenage girl you've ever met, she just happens to be gay too. This is going to sound
nova ryder ☼
four point five stars / this was so relatable and relevant and important.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
No one is sadder than me to say that this is my least favourite Mariko Tamaki, whose books I usually love. I just didn't care about or empathize with the characters. Neither the relationship between Freddy and her GF nor between her and her BFF were developed enough. I didn't get Freddy, I didn't get Laura Dean's appeal. I missed Tamaki's humour. Drawings are absolutely stunning, with very diverse people, but doesn't make up for the stuff missing. Maybe a full review later??
ellie
Oct 07, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
when i marked this book as to-read i thought it was called laura dern keeps breaking up with me
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Ugh, I feel bad saying this, but this is just one of those books I wish I hadn't read because I don't want to write a review.

I just didn't enjoy it. The whole book is just Freddie being a horrible friend because she's so wrapped in her girlfriend, who's a jerk. And if that was this whole book, that'd be good. But it's not. If this book's main focus was a girl in an emotionally abusive relationship who abandons her friends, that'd be solid. But this book tries to add in so many more things,
Ness (Vynexa)
Freddy keeps getting broken up with by Laura Dean. she wants to know how she can break out of this cycle. not only does she learn how to, but learns how to also be a better friend.

this graphic novel is very Queer and I love it! the art and story are very beautiful. you can feel all the emotions Freddy feels throughout this story which I loved.

I will say that I wish we would’ve gotten more of Freddy at the end with her friends along with her family, but it is what it is.

I am also going to get
Lea (drumsofautumn)

This was an absolutely stunning graphic novel!
The art is gorgeous and maybe my favourite art I have ever seen in any graphic novel. The black and white with pink highlights works so well for this novel.

The storyline is beautiful and so, so important. I loved the whole cast of characters, especially the main character's friend group.
I also loved the different ways of gender expression portrayed in this.

Overall a highly recommended graphic novel!

Content and trigger warnings for unwanted pregnany,
Reading Tam Ishly
I couldn't enjoy it at all and it must be like my 200th of such reads. So please don't think I am giving it a low rating for the sake of giving it.

Reasons why I couldn't like it:

It's too depressing to read.
The art style is a bit congested and the dialogue bubbles a bit too limited giving the impression of the art sequence as a little rushed.

I couldn't connect with any of the characters.

And it gets more depressing. Till the end, the main character did not even once showed an expression of
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
First read for ContemporaryAThon down! Okay, so this was super cute and super inclusive, but also a little all over the place??
Anniek
This was more or less a cover buy and it couldn't have been more accurate, because this graphic novel is beautiful. The art work is truly incredible: muted colour tones, lots of detail, and varied panels. Combined, this worked incredibly well, and it makes this one of the most creative graphic novels I've read. The art literally gave me goosebumps with how pretty and evocative it was.

Story wise, I really enjoyed this as well. It's a quiet novel, and story and art really enhance each other. I do
𝖺𝗇𝗇𝖺 ∗
3 | this was a pretty fun read, and the art style was definitely stunning, but i feel like overall the plot didn’t really offer much?

• Bloom
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Gender Queer
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • The Okay Witch
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Cannonball
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • The Breakaways
Mariko Tamaki is a Toronto writer, playwright, activist and performer. She works and performs with fat activists Pretty Porky and Pissed Off and the theatre troupe TOA, whose recent play, A vs. B, was staged at the 2004 Rhubarb Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Her well-received novel, Cover Me (McGilligan Books) was followed by a short fiction collection, True Lies: The Book of Bad Advice ...more
“I think it’s true that the older you get, and I am very old, the more you see that being in love and breaking up have a lot in common.

Love is hard. Breaking up is hard. Love is dramatic. Breaking up is dramatic.

Which makes me think that a lot of the questions you have about breaking up might be better thought of as questions about the nature of the love you have with this girl.”
1 likes
“There are two rumors about breaking up that I feel might be helpful to address here.
One is that breakups should be clean. The other is that you should only breakup when you're not in love.
The truth is, breakups are usually messy, the way people are messy, the way life is often messy. I's okay for a breakup to feel like a disaster. It doesn't feel okay, but I assure you it is okay.
It's also true that you can breakup with someone you still love. Because those two things are not distinct territories: love and not loving anymore.”
0 likes