Start by marking “Stargazing” as Want to Read:
Stargazing

Stargazing

Moon is everything Christine isn’t. She’s confident, impulsive, artistic . . . and though they both grew up in the same Chinese-American suburb, Moon is somehow unlike anyone Christine has ever known.

When Moon’s family moves in next door to Christine’s, Moon goes from unlikely friend to best friend―maybe even the perfect friend. The girls share their favorite music videos,
Expected publication: September 10th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Stargazing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stargazing

alexandra ling
ugh im EMO. full review tc because i have a lot of feelings
Maia
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet, quiet, surprising book. Considering that it just tops 200 pages, it packs more a of punch, and more of a twist ending, than I was expecting. It starts with an orchestral performance at a church, in which Christine plays violin. She tries hard to be everything her parents want: academic, musical, and serious- never painting her nails, taking Chinese language lessons and extra math after school. Then Moon and her mother move into the granny unit behind their house. Moon is a bundl ...more
Marissa
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an amazing, heartfelt book! I can't wait to put this into the hands of my patrons, regardless of age! Everyone should read this!
Emily Scheinman
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite graphic novels releasing this Fall
Brian
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Christine is a traditional Chinese American girl who lives with her family including her hard on her father. But then Moon and her mom move into the apartment downstairs and Moon is the opposite of Christine: she's tough, she's artistic and she's strong minded. Can their friendship last? First off, I really enjoyed the author's illustrations, they were excellent. A plot twist came completely out of left field which didn't really make a huge amount of sense but after reading the author's endnotes ...more
Nic
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, arc
I got an ARC of this at Book Expo! Yay!

Maybe 4.5 stars, just because I don't love it as much as I love some books (like Jen Wang's FABULOUS graphic novel The Prince and the Dressmaker). Still, I'm happy to round up. It's very cute and sweet, and the art is great. Stargazing is only slightly autobiographical, but I would definitely recommend it to fans of graphic childhood memoirs like Raina Telgemeier's Smile, Cece Bell's El Deafo, and Vera Brosgol's Be Prepared.
Brittany
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are real lessons here for kids on friendship, jealousy, communication, and illness. Just a complete joy of a book to read, as well.
Haley • Fangirl Fury •
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Stars
Jenna Monaco
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED every second of this graphic novel! Topics touched on: friendship, community, forgiveness and so much more. It was captivating and I fell in love with the characters. Beautiful illustrations. 10/10 would recommend!
Steph
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
So excited to have been given an ARC of this sweet and quirky graphic novel. A lovely book for 3rd-6th graders!
Lily Williams
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful.
Alexandra
That was just so, so lovely.
Kristy
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew I was going to like this after reading The Prince and the Dressmaker but I wasn't expecting all the feels. This just hurt my heart and built it back up all in the space of a few hours. It's a quick read that is inspired by the author's childhood, and it's equal parts adorable and heart-aching. When it's published, definitely pick it up.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an E-ARC.
Lili Kim
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations, and heartfelt messages abound. Just like all of Jen Wang's wonderful books! (I received an ARC via BookCon!)
Amanda Piccirillo
When a new girl moves in next door to Christine, she is unsure if she should become friends with her. However Christine learns it is in the differences that fuel the best friendships.
I received an ARC of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Christine's not perfect, but wishes she could be. Then her strict parents would be proud of her. But, really, she wants to be like her new friend/back-yard neighbor, Moon. She's very different from Christine; she wears nail polish, loves K-Pop and dancing, and is a talented artist, but can have a short fuse. Christine finds freedom in her friendship with Moon. But when Moon confides to Kristine that she doesn't belon
Cathy
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Identified a lot with topics in the book: house shoes at wrong door, vegetarian dan dan noodles, expectations from family, shaved ice. Nice write up and photos in afterwards from the author, another one of those books that a younger me would’ve appreciated, keep them coming.
Tara
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced readers copy of Stargazing at BookExpo and finished it immediately. Entertaining, sweet, and touching, Stargazing kept me hooked until the end! Good for all ages.
E
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read an advance copy, so not all of it was in color. Looking forward to the finished version. But even in black and white, the characters and very real emotions came through. Looking forward to having this on library shelves to give to fans of the mighty Raina Telgemeier.
Elese
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charming. I only wish it was longer.
Soup
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely beautiful and charming coming of age story about two perhaps unlikely friends and their exploration of what it means to both meet and defy the expectations of their community. According to the back material the story is fictional, but was strongly influenced by the author's own experiences. I'm so glad she's found such a lovely way of sharing at least part of her story.
Meredith Ann
Another great graphic novel from Jen Wang, this one for the middle grade crowd. The plot twist genuinely had me surprised. Identity is a big theme of this book and will certainly be a popular read for kids figuring out who they are.
Amber Webb
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stargazing is a wonderful new graphic novel from Jen Wang that perfectly describes the misconceptions and misunderstandings that happen during the middle school years. I loved Wang's latest graphic novel and my daughter immediately wanted to read it when I was finished. We both give it five stars without any doubt. I loved the characters and unique setting. I think that many readers will find someone or situation to connect with in the story.
Jenny
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reader’s copy of Stargazing by Jen Wang, so I won’t quote directly and will keep my comments general.

The characters are fantastic. The plot is moving and full of love, pain, laughter, and hardship. Though there are melancholy parts, this is an uplifting book more than it is a sad one. In the end, it is a sweet story of friendship. Wang incorporates many poignant concepts while still telling an entertaining tale. Elements of American and Chinese culture, as well as modern mi
Raven Black
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Less controversial than other graphic novels from publisher. Not a lot of action and the climax happens without a lot of "fanfare." It, like in real life, just happens. Muted colors. While there are a few "bumps" it is a simple, realistic and just overall nice story about friendship. The afterwards of the authors own experience was a surprising, but welcomed, touch.
Tessa Baer
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was wonderful.
Amber Brown
I love everything Jen Wang does, and her new middle grade graphic novel is no exception. Christine finds a friend who helps her grow into a teenager, even though this new friend is very different than everyone else.
I loved Wang's look into not only growing up Asian in a small community, but the drama and intricacies of maintaining friendships in middle school. I was grateful for a happy ending!
Kait
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Started Jen Wang’s STARGAZING on the train this morning and finished it on my ride home. My heart is full. ❤

THE PRINCE AND THE DRESSMAKER was one of my favorite graphic novels last year (and a favorite book of all time) and I love this one just as hard.

There’s a thread about being “not Asian” (enough) that hit me particularly hard, and when I saw how Jen addressed it in her afterword I started crying. I needed this book as a kid. But I’m glad other Asian kids will grow up with it, and I’m grate
« previous 1 3 next »