Start by marking “Stargazing” as Want to Read:
Stargazing

Stargazing

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  7,718 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews
Moon is everything Christine isn’t. She’s confident, impulsive, artistic . . . and though they both grew up in the same Chinese-American suburb, Moon is somehow unlike anyone Christine has ever known.

When Moon’s family moves in next door to Christine’s, Moon goes from unlikely friend to best friend―maybe even the perfect friend. The girls share their favorite music videos,
Published September 10th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Stargazing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stargazing

·  7,718 ratings  ·  1,262 reviews

Start your review of Stargazing
Whitney Atkinson
This was cute and I enjoyed it and read it in one setting, but there were some crucial character traits and hints dropped into the book that make it so that the climax/resolution makes sense, but I don't think those hints were dropped in substantially because the ending seemed to come out of nowhere. But I liked the characters and will continue to pick up everything Jen writes/illustrates!
Cristina Monica
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not as unique as The Prince and the Dressmaker but a heartfelt and important story nonetheless, inspired by Jen Wang's own childhood. I recommend it to anyone who values friendship and forgiveness.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Jen Wang has such a way with storytelling that always manages to make me smile and laugh while still punching me in the heart with feels (in a good way), and Stargazing followed that trend beautifully. I absolutely adored this graphic novel! Moon and Christine are both so precious, and they feel like real kids, you know? The diversity represented is so sweet and the commentary on biracial and/or Asian-American kids feeling "not Asian enough" made my chest ache for friends who have told me they'v ...more
alexandra
ugh im EMO. full review tc because i have a lot of feelings
Kevin (Irish Reader)
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute and innocent story!

I had already read The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang and loved it; so going into this one I was expecting to also love it and I most certainly did! This was such a unique story and I really loved it! The artwork was stunning but I did read an ARC copy so it was in black and white instead of the finished copy which will be in colour. I plan on getting a copy of the finished copy and rereading when it’s in full colour. There was a a lot of diversity
Calista
A great book about making friends and navigating the world of Middle school. The characters are Chinese American, but the situations and experiences of wanting to have fun, friends and fit in are universal.

Moon and her mom are in a tight spot, so Christine's family has them move into the mother's house on the property. Moon was known to have some issues with fighting and such and Christine is worried about living close to her. It turns out they can be pretty good friends. Moon is much more Ameri
Jessica
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet fancy heck, how did I not know this book existed?! Then a couple of weeks ago it won the Asian/Pacific American Children's Book award, and a bunch of authors I trust were talking about how it was their favorite book of 2019 and I'm like, huh, I guess we'll try it . . . ?

It's. Wonderful.

Funny, sad, awkward, sweet, all the things you want in a coming-of-age story, beautifully told in graphic novel form. I'm almost ANGRY this book slipped under my radar! I could have had it on MY best of 201
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Christine doesn't know what to think of Moon Lin, the girl living in her parent's backyard carriage house. Moon is impulsive, confident, Buddhist and a vegetarian...and she beats up kids. She's everything Christine is not—and she just might be an alien. But slowly these unlikely friends become best friends, until Christine starts to question their relationship.

I really, really enjoyed this book, and how it looked at Chinese-American children and how the sameness of experience makes any deviation
Julie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
For once, my two daughters agree on something: 4 stars for this middle grades graphic novel.
Kate (GirlReading)
This was full of the pure innocence only children have. It was utterly wonderful and the epitome of adorable. The story warmed my heart in so many ways and I have no doubt, whoever you are, wherever you were born, no matter your race, ethnicity, gender etc. there is a part of you that will be able to relate to a part of this story. The artwork was absolutely gorgeous and perfectly lifted the innocence of the characters and this story. I just want to put a copy of this into the library of every s ...more
Maia
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet, quiet, surprising book. Considering that it just tops 200 pages, it packs more a of punch, and more of a twist ending, than I was expecting. It starts with an orchestral performance at a church, in which Christine plays violin. She tries hard to be everything her parents want: academic, musical, and serious- never painting her nails, taking Chinese language lessons and extra math after school. Then Moon and her mother move into the granny unit behind their house. Moon is a bundl ...more
When I was in high school, I had a discussion with a Chinese-American friend of mine about what we were going to do in college. She told me she envied me, because I could major in anything I wanted, but she, she had to do what was expected of her, and become a doctor, even if she didn't want to.

I bring this up, because, Christine, in the story, is envious of Moon the same way, because unlike her family, where she is supposed to do well in school all the time, Moon can get away with getting Cs, a
Rod Brown
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
My expectations were too high going in to this follow-up to Wang's The Prince and the Dressmaker, but it is still a nice, low-key kids book about a Chinese American girl who is struggling to meet her parents' ideas of perfection when a more carefree and outgoing girl with a bad reputation moves in next door. Typical friendship and school complications ensue, until a dramatic twist based on the author's own life comes out of nowhere late in the book and rushes us to the ending and what amounts to ...more
Xueting
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet and heartwarming story about young friendship. The art is really cute and captures facial expressions so well. The Chinese cultural references are a bonus—traditional Chinese characters were printed on the pages! and the Chinese food look delicious!!! I love everything about this. One of my favourite graphic novels.
Krista Regester
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful.
mindful.librarian ☀️
Excellent middle grade graphic novel for fans of Raina T, Jennifer H, etc. Perfect for grades 4-7.
Jade Melody
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Everything about this story is adorable.
After reading, and loving, The Prince and the Dressmaker I knew this was going to be one of my most anticipated releases this year. AND IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT. Jen Wang just has a way. A way of making me love her characters. When they cry, I cry. When they're happy, I'm still crying. Nah, I'm happy too. For real though, I love Jen Wang's work and I will most likely read anything she creates in the future.

Ugh this story puts me in my fe
Erica
Straight-laced Christine is alarmed but intrigued by her new neighbor, imaginative, weird Moon whose violent reputation precedes her.

This is a charming story about friendship, familial expectations, personal expectations, jealousy, guilt, and the struggle of figuring out who you are and trying to be that person.
Amber
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 ⭐️

Rounded up because of the beautiful author’s note at the end.
Shreya Karnati
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the artwork in the book! All of the characters were very likable and there was a happy story. I liked how each of the characters taught the other how to expand their interests and try new things. The book also covered more serious issues about brain tumors. I liked both of the main characters and their friendship was adorable.
Alison (Story-eyed Reviews)
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
Stargazing is one of those books that I would love to hand to every kid in the world. And every adult, for that matter. This charming story about friendship, feeling alone in the world and defining who we are is a wonder of nostalgia and something that feels so original. I’m a huge fan of Jen Wang and she did not disappoint. One of my first reviews was another graphic novel by Jen Wang, The Prince and The Dressmaker, and I cannot recommend either of these books highly enough.

There are so many go
Kelly
A good realistic middle grade novel, when you're an adult, is one that can take you right back to being in that space and place (there are other markers of good, too, of course). I found myself getting a little teary about this story of friendship between two Chinese American girls who are from very different backgrounds -- one is solidly middle class and has parents who expect a lot from her, while the other is nearly homeless and who has a lenient mother. When one does something mean to the ot ...more
Tova
Welp, that made me emotional. RTC
Lost in Book Land
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to preface this with I was super excited to read this graphic novel and I love Jen Wang. :) A while back I saw a few of my bookish friends with the ARC of this book and I just knew I needed to read it, I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of this book as well from the publisher in exchange for an honest review and even if I hadn't I still would have read this book because I love Jen Wang. I think her stories are cute and funny and the art in her graphic novels is amazing and something to ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stargazing covers so many themes of Asian diaspora and the struggles of being in a teen being brought up by extremely traditional Asian parents. There were many things that felt familiar - "keeping the peace" and not speaking up when things go wrong, not being able to wear makeup (nail polish in this instance) for fear that you'll attract boys, sticking to other Asian kids and the pressure of having good grades, being bullied for the differences in your skin colour and your heritage.

From attend
Melki
This is a terrific book for middle-grade readers about friendship, and understanding. The characters are likable, and though some serious issues are dealt with, the overall tone is light and humorous. I particularly loved the photos at the end of the book of the author and her sister as young girls. Aww!!!
Luce
Stargazing by Jen Wang: 5 Stars

Stargazing is a middle school graphic novel by the American author-Illustrator Jen Wang. I picked this one up because I am a big fan of her previous graphic novel, The Prince and the Dressmaker, for which Wang won two Eisner awards - best writer/artist and best publication for teens (ages 13–17). Eisner’s are the Oscars of the Comic Book world. Wang’s parents immigrated from Taiwan. This story is loosely based on Wang’s childhood.

Stargazing follows two girls, Chris
Bree Lauren
This was SUCH a great book to read with the girls! We had great discussions about what the characters were feeling and why. I definitely need more graphic novels like this to read with them!

RTC.
Louise
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: robin-reads, comic
A cute book about friendship. I liked the easter eggs for people who grew up in the San Gabriel Valley.
Carolyn Klassen

This new graphic novel from the author of Prince and the Dressmaker is so sweet and has a great message. It's a story of friendship, cultural and religious identity, and belonging. A quiet exploration of difference that nevertheless was touching and heartfelt. I can feel how much this book will mean to young Asian-American kids — Own Voices stories are so important and do resonate (author Jen Wang is Buddhist Asian-American like one of the main characters in this novel). Very subtly h
Floral Tea Cups B...: Stargazing by Jen Wang 1 3 Mar 02, 2020 03:01PM

• The Okay Witch
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Snapdragon
  • Go with the Flow
  • When Stars Are Scattered
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Guts
  • Stepping Stones
  • White Bird
  • Nat Enough (Nat Enough #1)
  • Almost American Girl
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Dragon Hoops
  • Mooncakes
  • Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Graphic Novel: A Modern Retelling of Little Women
  • Click

Articles featuring this book

Want to encourage young readers to keep up their reading habits? Look no further than this year's buzziest YA and middle-grade graphic...
“But we can learn from the way we hurt the ones we love, and try to do better.” 1 likes