Start by marking “Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me” as Want to Read:
Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me

Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me

Laura Dean, the most popular girl in high school, was Frederica Riley's dream girl: charming, confident, and SO cute. There's just one problem: Laura Dean is maybe not the greatest girlfriend.

Reeling from her latest break up, Freddy's best friend, Doodle, introduces her to the Seek-Her, a mysterious medium, who leaves Freddy some cryptic parting words: break up with her. B
Published May 7th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me, please sign up.
Lily C Yes, at least it doesn't end in a way that indicates a sequel

Elise (TheBookishActress)
When you are a teenager, it is very easy to fall into the trap of believing you must settle for the love you can get, rather than love you deserve. If someone chooses to date you, especially if you are just a little less popular, just a little less Good, you choose them, even if they treat you badly and take you for granted at every moment. And it is very easy to convince yourself that ditching your friends for your significant other is some kind of justifiable act because you're doing it all fo ...more
Thomas
I turn 24 this Saturday and this book feels like the best early birthday present ever. I cried for five minutes in my office at work after I finished it. The book's themes of toxic relationships and healthy ones, self-worth and what we seek when we lack it, and the painful wisdom of growing up all resonated with me to my very core. The gorgeous black, white, and pink illustrations helped immerse me in the story as well.

Backing up, the story follows Freddy Riley, a high school student who's datin
Alice Oseman
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gets full stars for the art style alone!! I'm so amazed by the quality of these lines - I'm someone who has no patience for detail and lives by loose lines, so I'm always impressed by art like this, which is so smooth and detailed yet still so character focused. It must have taken so long to create. The story was great too but the art really blew me away.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
The art was STUNNING, but the plot did nothing super special for me. Meh
emma
every once in a while i think, "why don't i read more graphic novels???"

and then i read one and am immediately reminded of why i don't read more graphic novels.

review to come

------------

am suddenly ONLY interested in reading contemporary graphic novels with pretty covers and prettier art

(thanks to first second for the ARC)
David Schaafsma
I am a straight (cis-gdenderd) male of a certain age. I couldn't imagine the veritable flowering of glbt books as I was growing up that is happening right now. Actually, I couldn't have imagined it ten years ago! And so many strong girl characters! This book, written by Mariko Tamaki (This One Summer, Skim) does not have to hint subtly at issues of attraction; this is a romance without apology, with exuberance (and some pain; see the title). It's a YA story that tells a simple tale of a romance ...more
Alexandra ☁
THAT COVER HAS ME BY THE THOAT
Acqua
This was the perfect way to start pride month.
One might think a story that isn't a happy love story wouldn't make someone feel that optimistic, but here's the thing: Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me deals with a struggle that isn't unique to queer girls, but with all the nuanced details that are. It's 2019 and we can get stories about messy and complicated relationships like straight girls do, but that aren't exactly the step-by-step "straight girl in a toxic relationship" story. And this is
Lauren Lanzilotta
Covers like this should be illegal. Every time I see one this beautiful my mind asks the same question. what is restraint?

The art style shown in this graphic novel is absolutely gorgeous if the cover doesn't tell you enough about what’s inside. I loved that Rosemary Valero-O'Connell chose to utilize pink amidst the black and white of her drawings, that added such a lovely layer to the art. Definitely some of the prettiest drawings I've seen used in a graphic novel.

Laura Dean is one of the most
ellie
Oct 07, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
when i marked this book as to-read i thought it was called laura dern keeps breaking up with me
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
First read for ContemporaryAThon down! Okay, so this was super cute and super inclusive, but also a little all over the place??
Lea (drumsofautumn)

This was an absolutely stunning graphic novel!
The art is gorgeous and maybe my favourite art I have ever seen in any graphic novel. The black and white with pink highlights works so well for this novel.

The storyline is beautiful and so, so important. I loved the whole cast of characters, especially the main character's friend group.
I also loved the different ways of gender expression portrayed in this.

Overall a highly recommended graphic novel!

Content and trigger warnings for unwanted pregnany,
Romie
I feel so much lighter after having read this graphic novel. there is such a strong message of hope in this, of loving yourself and not settling for less than you deserve, of trying to find what makes you happy,,,,,such a calming graphic novel (4.25)
Tatiana
Wish this story spent as much time on developing characters and relationships as it did on being inclusive and woke. You have to make me understand what is so appealing about Laura Dean first, before I even start contemplating why a polyamorous relationship with her would be a good idea for the MC.

Better than Kiss Number 8, but not significantly better.
ellie ♡
3 | this was a pretty fun read, and the art style was definitely stunning, but i feel like overall the plot didn’t really offer much?
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I wanna read this so badly, so it would be SO COOL if the publishers fixed the file on NetGalley so that you could read a single word of the text. 😒 I guess I'll just buy it when it comes out.
Rod Brown
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It seems we are in the midst of a golden age for LGBTQ graphic novels. This YA book beautifully and painfully portrays the effects a bad romantic relationship can have on a person and the other relationships in her life.
Sara
This is a beautifully drawn, lovely graphic novel that flirts just a touch with manga and tells the story of Frederica "Freddy" Riley and her on again off again relationship with the most popular girl in school Laura Dean.

First of all kudos to epically talented Mariko Tamaki for giving us a lesbian character who's comfortable in her own skin and has a great support network of friends and family. Freddy is every teenage girl you've ever met, she just happens to be gay too. This is going to sound
mina reads™️
I’m completely obsessed with this one, highly highly recommend it and I will be doing a full review soon! I’m so glad this was my first read of pride month!!!

Edit: MY VIDEO REVIEW IS UP ON MY CHANNEL https://youtu.be/dtx28JL3arM
Jessica Woodbury
4.5 stars. A lot of people are going to feel extremely personally targeted by this near-perfect graphic novel about Freddy, a biracial lesbian teen, and her tumultuous relationship with the titular Laura. If you have ever stayed in a relationship that was bad for you, if you've made bad decisions because of a bad partner, you will find a lot to relate to in Freddy's story. Done in a black, white, and pink color scheme, it's also a vivid, gorgeous, and bittersweet piece of art you can get lost in ...more
ellie
this was perfect in every sense of the word. this is the type of book you want to hug to your chest and not let go until you feel okay again. i love, love, loved it.
Anna Banana
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, poc-heroines

This was so freaking cute! The art is amazing, the story is amazing and so freaking important! So much diversity, not to mention the topics brought up in this graphic novel, I'm honestly shook because it went places that I don't think any book I've read before has gone...even in Adult romance books. I'm so happy that I finally bought this book and I'm so happy that I can finish off May with this graphic novel.

(The reason for 4 and not 5 stars is that I wanted a little bit more at the en
Jenny Rossberg
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is what I think queer YA fiction should be! I loved this book; not only was the art giving me all my twee girl, new manga fantasy, but the writing was also exceptionally emotionally intelligent. I wish I had been able to read this boom as a young girl, to learn what toxic relationships look like, to learn what healthy and supportive friendships look like, and to normalize all my girlfriend prom date fantasies. Truly a lovely read that I would recommend to anyone who likes queer YA and the c ...more
Lauren
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ness (Vynexa)
Freddy keeps getting broken up with by Laura Dean. she wants to know how she can break out of this cycle. not only does she learn how to, but learns how to also be a better friend.

this graphic novel is very Queer and I love it! the art and story are very beautiful. you can feel all the emotions Freddy feels throughout this story which I loved.

I will say that I wish we would’ve gotten more of Freddy at the end with her friends along with her family, but it is what it is.

I am also going to get
Kate ☀️ Olson
What an exceptional YA graphic novel! The exploration of toxic relationships rang so true for me and will for anyone else who ever gave their young heart to someone undeserving. Freddy gives everything to her girlfriend Laura Dean and Laura gives nothing back, constantly breaking up with Freddy and then reeling her back in. This sets Freddy up for feelings of low self-worth and causes her to hurt other people in her life in a quest to keep Laura interested. Freddy’s journey to finding herself wi ...more
Madi
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok two five star reads in one all right.
Bobbieshiann
The complication of dating an aint shit person! Whew! They will drag you through the mud!!

Freddy is in high school and is in love with a girl who rather string her along then give her the actual time of day. I’ll admit, in the beginning I was annoyed with Freddy and it made me struggle with it. What kept me going was Freddy’s friendships and her finally standing up to Laura Dean! Freddy’s friends are amazing and you get a piece of them throughout the story. The struggles and growth made the stor
Caroline
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
yes yes yes!!!! explorations of toxic relationships in a queer setting along with figuring out how to stand up for yourself and be a good friend and a good person along the way. also the art is so warm it feels like you’re looking at friends. i just really really enjoyed this. super well done.
Artemis
A raw, refreshing, heartbreaking, sweet, touching, and beautiful story about teenage relationships, and it is queer AF. Seriously, it is one of the best LBGTQ graphic novels ever made in how effortlessly it normalizes queer people and relationships, as it is normal. It is life. Nearly everyone is queer here.

I'm heterosexual and I had no trouble relating to the characters and the events in this coming-of-age narrative. Everybody has had their heart broken, and anybody can have it break time and t

• Kiss Number 8
  • Starworld
  • Something Like Gravity
  • Amelia Westlake
  • Girls on the Verge
  • Hold My Hand (One Man Guy, #2)
  • Missing, Presumed Dead
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
  • American Royals
Mariko Tamaki is a Toronto writer, playwright, activist and performer. She works and performs with fat activists Pretty Porky and Pissed Off and the theatre troupe TOA, whose recent play, A vs. B, was staged at the 2004 Rhubarb Festival at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre. Her well-received novel, Cover Me (McGilligan Books) was followed by a short fiction collection, True Lies: The Book of Bad Advice ...more
“I think it’s true that the older you get, and I am very old, the more you see that being in love and breaking up have a lot in common.

Love is hard. Breaking up is hard. Love is dramatic. Breaking up is dramatic.

Which makes me think that a lot of the questions you have about breaking up might be better thought of as questions about the nature of the love you have with this girl.”
0 likes