Start by marking “Welcome Home: Where Nature's Most Creative Creatures Dwell” as Want to Read:
Welcome Home: Where Nature's Most Creative Creatures Dwell

Welcome Home: Where Nature's Most Creative Creatures Dwell

In Lisa Mundorff's Welcome Home, young readers will delight in the realistic and literal interpretations of where some of our most favorite animals live.

Humans love to put their feet up at home after a long day--whether they're in a house, apartment, or cabin. Well, even animals have their own particular homes. Otters kick it on a couch, lions retreat to their dens, and
Published June 18th 2019 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Welcome Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome Home

Start your review of Welcome Home: Where Nature's Most Creative Creatures Dwell
Allie
Super fun introduction to animals and their dwellings. The book introduces the animal and what their home is called, illustrates the literal version, and then on a two page spread the human meaning of those words. So pigeons are in a trendy loft, otters are hanging out on a couch, and pigs are in a really messy house! It's very cute and would be fun to read aloud to school-agers who could appreciate the wordplay.
Barbara
In this imaginative picture book, readers are treated to an inside look at the home of various animals. But the literal interpretation of the images is nothing like the places these animals actually live. This allows the artist to show an actual beaver lodge on one page, for instance, and then follow it up with beavers bustling around a snow lodge and even enjoying a hot tub. Although I adored the prairie dogs' neighborhood, I was particularly amused by the lions as they spent time in a den, rea ...more
Pat Mills
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, creative book. A bit of illustrated word play. 'A picture is worth a thousand words' kind of illustrated genius. As an adult, I love it and it makes me chuckle every time I look at those living situations and the touch of absurdity infused with realism. Joyful, colourful,clever; really for me, laugh out loud funny. This writer and illustrator is a true talent and a gentle advocate of diversity in the scientific sense - There is a big world out there.
Laurie Hnatiuk
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This will be a fun book to introduce new vocabulary using animal homes. Welcome Home depicts where various animals live literally and includes some bonus fun facts at the end. So the pig's sty shows a messy room, the lion's den shows lions in a den. Readers will have fun anticipating what the homes will look like and a great way to introduce unfamiliar habitats and perhaps a fun art lesson to follow. Consider this a supplementary title for libraries but a fun one.
Lynn
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved the intricate illustrations here and the initial premise which is a literal interpretation of the name of each animal's dwelling: a lion's den, an otter's couch, a beaver's lodge. Really clever but then the remaining choices don't quite follow the pattern and it feels like a bit of a stretch.

Still - the illustrations are so much fun that most kids won't mind - just picky librarians ;-)
Karen Johnson
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked much about this book.
My favorite thing was the introduction of different names for animal dwellings, beyond "home." It could really spark curiosity, and it's interesting (lions in dens, pigeons in lofts).

The artwork was fine, but the one drawback, for me at least, was having the homes human like. Confusing and unnecessary.

Still, I'd read it to the kids in my life.
Helen
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of sweetest, most delightful and beautiful children’s books out there! The illustrations are gorgeous and heart-warming. The story is adorable, cute, AND educational! Would give this 10/5 stars if I could! Highly recommend this to everyone!
Elizabeth
I am a red panda.
Kayla
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun play on the dual meanings of the words used to describe various animals' homes. Saving this for our unit on animal habitats.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun look at literal and fanciful depictions of animal homes.
Michelle
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Such fun depictions of animal dwellings, especially if the animals used the human definition.
Sharon Lawler
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Colorful and energetic explanation of the the homes of various animals.
Wylaina
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute.
Earl
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A playful book that takes where animals live and depicts it literally.
Rebecca

• New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • Weather
  • Our World Is Relative
  • Go with the Flow
  • The Next President: The Unexpected Beginnings and Unwritten Future of America’s Presidents
  • A Long Petal of the Sea
  • Snowmen at Halloween
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Max Attacks
  • Magic Ramen: The Story of Momofuku Ando
  • Captain Rosalie
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • A Life Made by Hand: The Story of Ruth Asawa