Start by marking “The Dam Keeper: Return from the Shadows (Dam Keeper, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dam Keeper: Return from the Shadows (Dam Keeper, #3)

The Dam Keeper: Return from the Shadows

(Dam Keeper #3)

Based on an Oscar-nominated animated short by former Pixar directors, The Dam Keeper: Return to the Shadowsis the third and final volume in a breath-taking graphic novel series about a pig's epic journey.

Sunrise Valley is without a dam keeper, and time is running out. In less than twenty-four hours, the poisonous tidal wave of black fog will descend on Pig’s home. While
Published July 2nd 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The Dam Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dam Keeper

Start your review of The Dam Keeper: Return from the Shadows (Dam Keeper, #3)
Rod Brown
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
As boring as the first two, with a side helping of depressing. I still haven't seen the movie on which this is based, but at least now I know how the story ends.

It bugs me that on the credits page "producer/agent Kane Lee" comes before the actual artists. Maybe jam HR and the accountants in there too? Hrm.
Johanna
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dakota Morgan
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
The art's still great, and that's really the main draw here, right? As the great fog descends on Sunrise Valley, things get a bit too blurry, but the conclusion of The Dam Keeper series is suitably bittersweet. I think it was all an environmental fable? Having little recollection of the previous two volumes, I'm not sure. I'm sure the series would be a greater success read back-to-back-to-back.
Siina
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Dam Keeper series is just wow. Everything about it is deep, meaningful, full of emotion and there's looming darkness too. This final part makes everything perfect and I must get this series to my library. Return from the Shadows finally explains everything and we find Pig's dad, who's been trying to fight the fog from the beginning basically sacrificing everything, even Pig. I really liked the saving of the nature and somehow the comic ends up shoving the current environmental tragedy at our ...more
Melissa
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The conclusion of the visually stunning Dam Keeper series is the darkest and yet also the most uplifting installment, leaving readers with many emotions to process and a new understanding of the world Kondo and Tsutsumi created.

Color tones shift dramatically between scenes, portraying the literal and figurative darkness that has driven our characters to their adventure and, for some, to their breaking point. Light plays an important role as a sharp contrast to the uncontrollable danger of the
Alina Surnaite
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The last book in 'The Dam Keeper' graphic novel trilogy is really stunning! Both the visuals and the story work really well together and the characters reveal so much depth and interesting details (you'll definitely want to read all three books to piece this mysterious story together).

Family, home and courage are the main themes of this beautiful volume, uniting all the different characters of the story. I really liked that Pig, Fox and Hippo together with all the Sunrise Valley inhabitants
Melissa
Oh man. I liked the first two installments, but this was wow. Such a good wrap up to the story! Now that we got all the answers, it turned out to be really deep and meaningful (but I don't want to give anything away!) And so emotional - I felt for Pig every step of the way! Plus, the artwork is just stunning - there were a few pages that I spent a few minutes really taking in - like when he enters his dad's workshop for the first time, the colors and the sunlight streaming in the window is just ...more
Ryan Miller
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Doom is coming. What is the greater good? Is it more heroic to sacrifice some while a longer-term solution is developed that might someday save more? Or is it more heroic to do all possible to rescue those in front of you, now? In this graphic series of hope and belonging, Kondo and Tsutsumi have created characters that are good-hearted at their cores, but must learn from others how their hopes for salvation and family mesh.
Alissa
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting to read this one and, at long last, I finally did! And WOW, what a great conclusion to a wonderful trilogy. (view spoiler), but I loved everything about this story. The characters, the plot, the artwork...EVERYTHING! Dam Keeper is perfection in every way. I would give it more stars if possible.
Nick
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was very nice. A very good ending, and I loved how he brought everything together.

I wanted to know more, especially about the nomadic tribe and where the fog came from, but that wasn't the scope of the story. This was about Pig's journey and I hope they come back to this world in the future.
Kristin
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is graphic novel book 3 and final of The Dam Keeper series. I definitely liked this book better than book 2. It was a satisfying resolution of the plot threads ,and the interactions between Pig and his father were quite emotional. A lot of dark illustrated scenes, but the ending pages were more colorful and uplifting.
Ben Smith
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful conclusion to the trilogy of graphic novels. Visually stunning, Dice and Robert’s use of light is so evocative that I find myself stopping to appreciate the light in the room around me as I read. I love books that spill out into my life in this way, and it’s rare for me for a graphic novel to manage to accomplish that bit of magic.
Amanda
5+ stars for the art
3 1/2 stars for the story

Wow. It ended satisfactorily for me, and I saw certain things happening before they did, and yet I wanted things to be different at the same time. Such a beautiful dark series.
Elizabeth
A satisfying conclusion to a fun and heartfelt trilogy of middle grade graphic novels. The messages were nice, the story was engaging, the characters were cute, and I enjoyed the environmental plot twist. It isn't perfect, but it is well worth the read.
Dawn Geiser
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great ending to the trilogy! This story has everything you want in a hero's journey. The art is integral in telling the story. Honestly it would make a great movie and perfect commentary to environmentalism.
Danielle Primé
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Xavier gave it 4 stars, I’d give it 2 stars- so we are meeting in the middle. This series is a graphic novel, lots of pictures and art. The story itself is very dark, with a father disappearing and abandoning his son. There are some very weird characters along the way.
Peter
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Visually stunning. Still unsatisfying as the first two. Not many questions were really answered in the end, but if you like gorgeous artwork, this trilogy of short graphic novels is quick and sumptuous.
Angela
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This closed out the plot nicely. Very tender commentary on the value of family and friendship. Also would be remiss not to mention the stunning use of blank space in black or white to enhance the drama.
Sarah T.
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ugh, such a beautiful series! ...more
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent conclusion, but my enthusiasm just waned.
Lindsay Ross
It would be easier to follow the story if all three books were read in one sitting.
Hans
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mysteries solved. Heroes in action. A world lost. A world found.

Wrapping up a bunch of short books after tackling two large novels. This is a strong and smart conclusion to this series.
Peter
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
What a wonderful conclusion!
Heather
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not crying, you’re crying.
Nancy
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, arc
A solid finish to wonderful series. Though, fair warning, this one will hit you right in the feels. The art remains beautiful and hauntingly evocative in this subdued kind of way that fits the narrative just perfectly and plays well with the themes of family, friendship, duty, and sacrifice as explored through Pig's quest to find his father and save his home of from the foreboding fog. The story comes full circle and ends in a way that is cathartic in more ways than one. There's tragedy, yes, ...more
Ellen
Nov 22, 2019 added it
Visually stunning ending to the Dam Keeper trilogy, a distinctive fantasy adventure sure to charm children of all ages.
Meaghan Steeves
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect ending to the series.
Hamster
Better than the second, but the ending was melodramatic and nonsensical.
Zi Wang
Feb 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Always be crying for the book
Emmaj
Sep 13, 2018 added it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2018
The authors are having trouble with pacing. Book one moved too slow, book two moves too fast.

• Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • This Was Our Pact
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • Space Boy Volume 4 (Space Boy, #4)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Marcy and the Riddle of the Sphinx
  • Island Book
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • Space Boy Volume 3 (Space Boy, #3)
  • The Okay Witch
  • Stargazing
  • No Ivy League
  • The Breakaways
  • Space Boy Volume 5 (Space Boy, #5)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Hilda and the Mountain King

Dam Keeper (3 books)
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • The Dam Keeper: World Without Darkness (Dam Keeper, #2)