Start by marking “Pumpkinheads” as Want to Read:
Pumpkinheads

Pumpkinheads

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  10,435 ratings  ·  2,576 reviews
Deja and Josiah are seasonal best friends.

Every autumn, all through high school, they’ve worked together at the best pumpkin patch in the whole wide world. (Not many people know that the best pumpkin patch in the whole wide world is in Omaha, Nebraska, but it definitely is.) They say good-bye every Halloween, and they’re reunited every September 1.

But this Halloween is dif
Published August 27th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkinheads, please sign up.
Jeni Nope. Rowell has a two book deal with First Second books writing a graphic novel, the first of which is a collaboration with Hicks. She ALSO is…moreNope. Rowell has a two book deal with First Second books writing a graphic novel, the first of which is a collaboration with Hicks. She ALSO is writing the new run of Runaways, which is going to be published in traditional comic book form and then gathered into volume-books.(less)
willaful I don't think there's anything too mature. Maybe a raunchy joke, but no one would notice if they weren't already aware of it.

·  10,435 ratings  ·  2,576 reviews

Emily May
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet, fun book. Perfect for autumn!

Two friends - Deja and Josiah - who only see each other at the pumpkin patch where they work during autumn, are working their last shift together. But, this time, they decide to change things up. They abandon their post at the Succotash Hut and go on an adventure around the pumpkin patch, eating s'mores, taking hayrides, getting lost in the maze-- all while searching for the girl who Josiah has been crushing on for years. He's finally going to a
emma
i read this book, and then i took a day, and then i read it again.

do i want to read it again already? naturally.

i'm reading it again.

yes, it's been 2 days.

---------------

I LOVE THIS BOOK AND I WANT TO LIVE INSIDE IT.

but i will settle for rereading it immediately.

---------------

trying this new thing called "optimism" where i'm excited for this book and believe i'm going to like it

so we'll see how this goes.

I AM READY FOR FALL AND I AM READY FOR THIS BOOK
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was stinking cute. If you want to get into the fall spirit, this would be the perfect place to start. Now excuse me while I go chug a venti pumpkin cream cold brew ✌🏼🎃
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved it so much!! A cute story and they work at The Pumpkin Patch! This place is a dream come true!! 🎃

Happy Reading!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
✨ A ✨
“Like every autumn smell all at once.”

This is a perfect autumn read. This graphic novel gave me all the fall feels which was awesome because it's spring time where I am. I wanted to dive into these beautiful pages, to experience everything with Josiah and Deja.

description

It's Deja and Josiah's last night at the pumpkin patch they work at every Halloween season. The last chance for Josiah to finally speak to ‘the fudge girl’ he's been crushing on for three seasons.
Deja convinces shy Josiah to go talk to
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oct 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-releases
A GRAPHIC NOVEL COLLAB WITH RAINBOW ROWELL?

Larry H
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific graphic novel!!

Deja and Josiah are best friends—at least from September 1 through Halloween, and at least while they’re working together at the pumpkin patch. (They don't see each other at all except during that period of time.) Tonight is the last night they’ll work together since both will head off to college next fall.

Josiah can’t imagine a world without the pumpkin patch. Deja doesn’t quite feel THAT strongly, but she’ll miss Josiah, and all the activity, and all of the great
Mischenko
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Josie and Deja have been working together at a pumpkin patch for much of their high school years. They're pretty good friends and enjoy each other's company during the season, but they don't talk much outside of work. This Halloween they'll be saying goodbye for good as both prepare to begin their college life. Josie's pretty depressed about it; he loves everything about the pumpkin patch, especially being the MVPPP (Most Valuable Pumpkin Patch Person). Deja seems more optimistic about it and me ...more
Riley
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
this put me in the biggest fall mood ever
Gabby
This is really cute. This is a short and sweet graphic novel about these two teens Josiah and Deja who are spending their last October working at the local pumpkin patch, where they have worked for the last few years. They are both leaving for college soon and won't be seeing each other again for quite some time, so we follow them on their last night at the Pumpkin Patch.

This is the perfect Fall read. The fall vibes were radiating off the page and it's the perfect read for the season. It made me
Nick
Jan 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
I want to read this right now.
Simone
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was entirely lovely. I knew it would be, though. Rainbow Rowell is my favourite writer, Faith Erin Hicks is a fantastic artist, and the synopsis sounded exactly up my alley. Happily, this didn't disappoint.

First of all, the atmosphere of the pumpkin patch and the Halloween season really came through. Faith's art was gorgeous and exactly right for this story. Pumpkin patches aren't a thing in the Netherlands and we barely celebrate Halloween, but reading this really made me want to experienc
Tatiana
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a DELIGHT!

A quintessential autumn read. Take a stroll through a fall-themed amusement park filled with hay rides, corn mazes, pumpkins and pies and watch two friends maybe become something more. Hick’s art is amazing - warm and bright.

Put me right into a wonderful fall mood. Where are my s’mores? 😀😋
Sara
This was everything I expected it to be, and more. Two seasonal autumn friends spend their last Halloween working a pumpkin patch. Deja is bubbly, outgoing and everyone’s friend. She’s also bisexual, and seems to have dated everyone at work. Josiah is shy, meticulous and totally obsessed with the girl working at the Fudge stand. What follows is a crusade to get Josiah talking to Fudge girl while trying to navigate the Pumpkin Patch’s many obstacles on the duos last night together.

Deja is hilari
Christy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pumpkinheads was adorable. It made me long for fall. The story was so cute and the art work was amazing!

I was lucky enough to meet Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks at my local bookstore on release day and they were amazing. I loved hearing about the inspiration for this story and getting my special edition 'Fangirl' and 'Eleanor and Park' signed was just the cherry on top.

Deja was the best character and I loved Josie as well. Also, I'm hungry now for some fall inspired food! Highly recommend
Lucy Powrie
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the CUTEST! The kind of graphic novel I really love, with beautiful, autumnal colouring and a story of friendship, pumpkins, and a runaway goat.

I know I’ll be re-reading this lots. Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks are a perfect match. Can I have the Christmas elves sequel, please?!
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

If you’re like me, and you’re READY for all things fall, this book is the perfect seasonal overdose.

Taking place on Halloween, this book is about two season friends on their last night working together. Deja and Josiah are best friends during the fall, but tend to stay out of touch when they aren’t working together the rest of the year. Next year they’ll be in college, so they decide to make the best of it and do all the things they never did in previous years.

Rowell’s subtle comedic
Abbey Patrick
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SCREAMS IN YANKEE CANDLE.
Calista
Josiah and Deja have been working at the Pumpkin patch for their 3 years of high school. This is their last year as workers and there is excitement and sadness over understanding that.

Josiah has had a crush on a girl for 3 years now. Josiah loves working at the pumpkin patch. Deja is his best friend and she has decided that Josiah has to tell this girl he likes her. It becomes their quest. So they spend their last night looking for this girl.

Michigan had wonderful pumpkin patches. Wiards Apple
Liv (Stories For Coffee)
This is probably the cutest graphic novel I’ve read, ever. Autumn, romance, a cute chaotic character matched with a down to earth, rule following character ? Perfection
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
"Friends don't let friends live small lives."

Reasons I am flailing over this.
-it cute af!!
-so much Fall appreciation!!!! This book deserves all the apples!!!
-characters who feel real and step off the page!
-I live for Deja and Josie's friendship!
-humor that although not laugh out loud funny, made me excessively smile while reading!
-the art style is adorabe!
-did I mention how cute and wholesome this is???

My only complaint is (view spoiler)
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I was given an eARC of this by the publisher in exchange for an honest review, which was super exciting(!), but at the time they sent it, nowhere in the description did it explain it was only an excerpt, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered... Anyways, I got to read the first 18 pages (half of which was filler material), so I can't give it an actual "review", but I will say the art was cute. Pretty sure I won't be bothering with First Second's eARCs much anymore, though, between this and the last ...more
Amy Imogene Reads
I came out this perfect story with a FIERCE desire for pumpkins and fall treats.

Honestly, I don't think it's possible to have negative opinions about Pumpkinheads. It has positive representation for so many things (male/female friendship, diversity, bisexuality, consent, etc.), and the story line is short and sweet. I like my graphic novels like one slow cup of coffee. Or in this case, pumpkin spice latte.

Artwork: ★★★★★
Plot: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★★
Feels: ★★★★★

Pumpkinheads is the tale of two best fr
Erin
Goodreads giveaway win!

3.5 Stars

I don't read a lot of graphic novels. Pumpkinheads is only the sixth or seventh graphic novel I've ever read. Despite the fact that I don't read many of them, when I do read them I tend to like them. I don't know if that means I should read more of them or if it means that I just tend to pick really good ones.

Pumpkinheads is about Deja and Josiah who are seasonal friends. Every autumn they work at the local pumpkin patch until Halloween. While at work they are be
Mafi
Jan 18, 2015 marked it as wishlist
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rainbow Rowell + Graphic novel? = SOLD.
Lauren Lanzilotta
3.5 sweet stars 🎃

Rainbow Rowell can do no wrong with light hearted romances. This was just as cute- if not more so than I expected.

Deja and Josiah are in their senior year of high school, and it’s their last October working at the pumpkin patch before they’re off to college. Deja is determined to help Josiah talk to the girl he likes before Halloween is over, and make the most of the night.

The art in Pumpkinheads was gorgeous, I loved Fath Eric Hicks’ use of warm colours. Between the story and i
↠ dan ↞
THIS WAS SO CUTEEEE PLS I LOVE THEM
nova ryder ☼
WELL. this was adorable and perfect for fall. Though I do kind of wish I’d waited until it was MORE fall outside to read this, so maybe I’ll reread it when there are actually leaves on the ground.

Vague spoilers??? Maybe but I didn’t really feel any romantic chemistry between the two characters who get together. I kind of guessed it was coming but hoped I was wrong.

I think... that was the point though. Sometimes two people click and it doesn’t work out. Sometimes people DON’T click but it does w
honey (myonna reads)
i don’t rate graphic novels but if i did i’d give it 5 stars!! i loved it so much. i loved the art so much and i just loved the setting. i can relate to josiah’s character so much by being scared of rejection and thinking of things as fate.

but deja taught me that it’s not about fate, it’s about going for what you want! i’d love to see a vol 2 about them coming back for one day after college or even them as elves in december.

this book is also very diverse and i loved reading about a bi black gi
kippen (uponthepages)
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this. The illustrations are so fitting and gorgeous!! I’m going to do a mini review for this book on my blog soon.

I highly recommend though. 🎃 🧡

UPDATED:

My Rating: 5 stars ★★★★★out of ★★★★★ stars (5/5)

This review is SPOILER FREE!

I’ve been waiting for this book since I came across a blank page, no cover listing on Goodreads titled “Pumpkinheads” by Rainbow Rowell. It was unclear what it was (obviously) and I didn’t find out until MUCH later that it was a graphic novel. To be ho

• The Place on Dalhousie
  • 4 Wizards
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • Untitled
  • Dig
  • Untitled
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Start Here
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • Time After Crime (Lumberjanes, Vol. 11)
  • Hello Girls
  • Suggested Reading
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
“Deja, I don't want October to be over. Because October means you.” 2 likes
“Maybe don't repeat her name dreamily like she just handed you the One Ring.” 1 likes