Start by marking “Pumpkinheads” as Want to Read:
Pumpkinheads

Pumpkinheads

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  45,587 ratings  ·  9,342 reviews
Deja and Josiah are seasonal best friends.

Every autumn, all through high school, they’ve worked together at the best pumpkin patch in the whole wide world. (Not many people know that the best pumpkin patch in the whole wide world is in Omaha, Nebraska, but it definitely is.) They say good-bye every Halloween, and they’re reunited every September 1.

But this Halloween is dif
Published August 27th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkinheads, please sign up.
JingleSmell1337 It can!!!! It’s at a PUMPKIN FARM!!! Move over Disney here’s the REAL happiest place on earth
Jeni Nope. Rowell has a two book deal with First Second books writing a graphic novel, the first of which is a collaboration with Hicks. She ALSO is writin…moreNope. Rowell has a two book deal with First Second books writing a graphic novel, the first of which is a collaboration with Hicks. She ALSO is writing the new run of Runaways, which is going to be published in traditional comic book form and then gathered into volume-books.(less)

·  45,587 ratings  ·  9,342 reviews

Start your review of Pumpkinheads
Emily May
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet, fun book. Perfect for autumn!

Two friends - Deja and Josiah - who only see each other at the pumpkin patch where they work during autumn, are working their last shift together. But, this time, they decide to change things up. They abandon their post at the Succotash Hut and go on an adventure around the pumpkin patch, eating s'mores, taking hayrides, getting lost in the maze-- all while searching for the girl who Josiah has been crushing on for years. He's finally going to a
emma
phew. i almost let fall pass without rereading this book

---------------

It is taking...everything I have not to stop writing this review and pick up this book instead.

I could justify it so easily. “Just refreshing the ol’ memory,” I could say. “It’ll take less than an hour. And think of the review! Masterful, probably.”

Wow, I am really convincing myself. THIS IS DIFFICULT.

This was exactly what I wanted it to be. I wanted to read this book desperately that o
Kat
Aug 24, 2020 rated it liked it
that was sweet :)
NReads
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it is just the quarantine that is making me crave human contact, but this story was so gooooood
Ariel
Oct 23, 2019 added it
Like everyone has said: SUPER CUTE. The setting is cute! The story is cute! The characters are cute! The ending is cute! IT ALL MAKES YOU FEEL WARM. I think this crazy pumpkin patch is such a gorgeous place for a story to be set and a perfect read for fall time. 🎃
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was stinking cute. If you want to get into the fall spirit, this would be the perfect place to start. Now excuse me while I go chug a venti pumpkin cream cold brew ✌🏼🎃
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 On Kindle US Today 10/11/20

I loved it so much!! A cute story and they work at The Pumpkin Patch! This place is a dream come true!! 🎃

Happy Reading!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
✨ A ✨
“Like every autumn smell all at once.”

This is a perfect autumn read. This graphic novel gave me all the fall feels which was awesome because it's spring time where I am. I wanted to dive into these beautiful pages, to experience everything with Josiah and Deja.

description

It's Deja and Josiah's last night at the pumpkin patch they work at every Halloween season. The last chance for Josiah to finally speak to ‘the fudge girl’ he's been crushing on for three seasons.
Deja convinces shy Josiah to go talk
April (Aprilius Maximus)
“Like every autumn smell all at once.”

representation: plus size rep, bi/pan rep (not explicitly stated but the MC has dated boys and girls).

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 3 . 5 s t a r s *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

One word: ADORABLE.
Will I ever read this again, though? ..... Probably not.

trigger warnings: one fatphobic comment (i think???)
Riley
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
this put me in the biggest fall mood ever
daph pink  君は
A cute , fluffy and festive perfect graphic book I am ready to read next autumn and every other autumn from here on!!♥️✨
Warda
WHY WASN’T THIS A FULL-BLOWN NOVEL?!!
I need more Rainbow Rowell after this. So hopefully I’ll be rereading her contemporary work because this story put me in such a mood for them.
Rainbow Rowell understands characters! She knows dialogue. Her stories are always so engaging and heartwarming and I can’t get enough.
Mischenko
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Josie and Deja have been working together at a pumpkin patch for much of their high school years. They're pretty good friends and enjoy each other's company during the season, but they don't talk much outside of work. This Halloween they'll be saying goodbye for good as both prepare to begin their college life. Josie's pretty depressed about it; he loves everything about the pumpkin patch, especially being the MVPPP (Most Valuable Pumpkin Patch Person). Deja seems more optimistic about it and me ...more
Cristina Monica
This is the ultimate comfort graphic novel. So much love.
Gabby
This is really cute. This is a short and sweet graphic novel about these two teens Josiah and Deja who are spending their last October working at the local pumpkin patch, where they have worked for the last few years. They are both leaving for college soon and won't be seeing each other again for quite some time, so we follow them on their last night at the Pumpkin Patch.

This is the perfect Fall read. The fall vibes were radiating off the page and it's the perfect read for the season. It made me
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super cute, and a total celebration of all things fall. A little bit predictable but I didn’t mind because it was just a lot of fun. Now I want pumpkin pie!
Larry H
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific graphic novel!!

Deja and Josiah are best friends—at least from September 1 through Halloween, and at least while they’re working together at the pumpkin patch. (They don't see each other at all except during that period of time.) Tonight is the last night they’ll work together since both will head off to college next fall.

Josiah can’t imagine a world without the pumpkin patch. Deja doesn’t quite feel THAT strongly, but she’ll miss Josiah, and all the activity, and all of the great
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Well, this was freaking adorable. I've had a lot of mixed feelings on RR for a long time now so I almost didn't pick up this graphic novel, but the art style was so precious, I finally caved and grabbed a copy, and I ended up really enjoying it.

Deja is such a fun character, first of all; she's plus-size, black, and queer (MGA — it isn't stated if she's bi or pan). We see her interact with a few different exes and potential love interests of various genders and it's really lovely to see a plus-si
Andrea Ashwood
[Review Preview]
description
I'm your friend. And friends don't let friends live small lives.
3'25⭐
As cute as I thought.
It's not fate that brings people together. It's people!

Review coming soon...
Tatiana
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a DELIGHT!

A quintessential autumn read. Take a stroll through a fall-themed amusement park filled with hay rides, corn mazes, pumpkins and pies and watch two friends maybe become something more. Hick’s art is amazing - warm and bright.

Put me right into a wonderful fall mood. Where are my s’mores? 😀😋
Sara
This was everything I expected it to be, and more. Two seasonal autumn friends spend their last Halloween working a pumpkin patch. Deja is bubbly, outgoing and everyone’s friend. She’s also bisexual, and seems to have dated everyone at work. Josiah is shy, meticulous and totally obsessed with the girl working at the Fudge stand. What follows is a crusade to get Josiah talking to Fudge girl while trying to navigate the Pumpkin Patch’s many obstacles on the duos last night together.

Deja is hilari
Christy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pumpkinheads was adorable. It made me long for fall. The story was so cute and the art work was amazing!

I was lucky enough to meet Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks at my local bookstore on release day and they were amazing. I loved hearing about the inspiration for this story and getting my special edition 'Fangirl' and 'Eleanor and Park' signed was just the cherry on top.

Deja was the best character and I loved Josie as well. Also, I'm hungry now for some fall inspired food! Highly recommend
Calista
Josiah and Deja have been working at the Pumpkin patch for their 3 years of high school. This is their last year as workers and there is excitement and sadness over understanding that.

Josiah has had a crush on a girl for 3 years now. Josiah loves working at the pumpkin patch. Deja is his best friend and she has decided that Josiah has to tell this girl he likes her. It becomes their quest. So they spend their last night looking for this girl.

Michigan had wonderful pumpkin patches. Wiards Apple
Lucy Powrie
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the CUTEST! The kind of graphic novel I really love, with beautiful, autumnal colouring and a story of friendship, pumpkins, and a runaway goat.

I know I’ll be re-reading this lots. Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks are a perfect match. Can I have the Christmas elves sequel, please?!
may ❀
this was insanely adorable and gave me all the feels and i want it as a full-length fluff novel
Simone
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was entirely lovely. I knew it would be, though. Rainbow Rowell is my favourite writer, Faith Erin Hicks is a fantastic artist, and the synopsis sounded exactly up my alley. Happily, this didn't disappoint.

First of all, the atmosphere of the pumpkin patch and the Halloween season really came through. Faith's art was gorgeous and exactly right for this story. Pumpkin patches aren't a thing in the Netherlands and we barely celebrate Halloween, but reading this really made me want to experienc
Abbey Patrick
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SCREAMS IN YANKEE CANDLE.
Amy Imogene Reads
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I came out this perfect story with a FIERCE desire for pumpkins and fall treats.

Honestly, I don't think it's possible to have negative opinions about Pumpkinheads. It has positive representation for so many things (male/female friendship, diversity, bisexuality, consent, etc.), and the story line is short and sweet. I like my graphic novels like one slow cup of coffee. Or in this case, pumpkin spice latte.

Artwork: ★★★★★
Plot: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★★
Feels: ★★★★★

Pumpkinheads is the tale of two best fr
David Schaafsma
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super-duo combination Rainbow Rowell with illustrator Faith Hicks! Fall-themed, but not Halloween horror (unless you can count the grumpy goat or the occasional refs to ghosts).The story is set in a place where two high school seniors work, a fall Pumpkin Patch themed park in the Great Plains. White boy, black girl, different sizes, best friends, as she tried to help him finally speak to a girl he has been obsessed with. Just fun. Predictable ending, nothing really surprising throughout, but it' ...more
Sheena
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheena by: — Massiel
Shelves: graphic-novels
Predictable but very cute!

TY Massiel for the recommendation :))
LPL YA Virtual Bo...: Topic 3: Deja and The Patch 2 8 Oct 29, 2020 07:36AM
LPL YA Virtual Bo...: If You Like Pumpkinheads You Might Also Like 1 4 Oct 28, 2020 02:05PM
Play Book Tag: Pumpkinheads - Rainbow Rowell (4 1/2 stars) 1 5 Oct 28, 2020 09:01AM
The Wanderlust Re...: October BotM 7 6 Oct 25, 2020 12:22PM
Goodreads Choice ...: Pumpkinheads - Oct. 2020 20 75 Oct 23, 2020 02:52PM
LPL YA Virtual Bo...: Topic 2: Josiah and Marcy 4 14 Oct 08, 2020 11:59AM

• Mooncakes
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Bloom
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Stargazing
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • The Okay Witch
  • Guts
  • Are You Listening?
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Snapdragon
  • Clap When You Land
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK, FANGIRL and THE SIMON SNOW BOOKS.). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguin

Articles featuring this book

The hotly anticipated sequel to 'Carry On' is finally here.
“...I'm your friend. And friends don't let friends live small lives.” 27 likes