Start by marking “Broken Ice” as Want to Read:
Broken Ice

Broken Ice

(Nils Shapiro #2)

In the words of Lee Child on Gone to Dust, “I want more of Nils Shapiro.” Emmy-Award winning and New York Times bestselling author Matt Goldman happily obliges by bringing the Minneapolis private detective back for another thrilling, standalone adventure in Broken Ice.

Nils Shapiro has been hired to find missing Linnea Engstrom, a teenager from the small northern hockey
Published April 30th 2019 by Forge

To ask other readers questions about Broken Ice, please sign up.
Erin Templeton
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Broken Ice
Diane S ☔
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
INTUITION, is something Nils Shapiro has in spades, and fully developed. Comes in handy for this ex cop now private detective. Set in Minnesota, this second in series, finds Nils hired to find a missing girl. Actually tei girls are missing, but one is found fairly quickly. An unusual weapon will be causing much pain, and a few deaths. A bow, with some lethsl and expensive arrows.

Yes, I know, I seemed to have picked up another series, but I quite enjoy the characters in this one as well as the
Tim
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No better than average story. MacLeod Andrews does not impress as narrator. 4 of 10 stars
Jeanette
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very good, above average. And better than Nils #1, IMHO.

Of course, and once again, MN is the pivot character in the mix. And could hockey be far behind it?

We find Nils and his work partner Ells (and does he need him to have eyes to structure and finance) have within the one year just passed (and in which he has not seen the ex once) really dished out the partner combined new business entity. But there is a progression to change there coming for that too.

The case is looking for a missing
Cindy Burnett
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Broken Ice is the second book in Goldman’s Nils (Shap) Shapiro series. Shap is a Minneapolis-based private detective who is clever, irreverent, and highly entertaining. In Broken Ice, Shap is hired to find Linnea Engstrom, a missing teenage girl who vanished during the Minnesota high school hockey playoffs. Early on in the investigation, he is shot in the arm by an arrow alerting him that someone does not want Linnea found. As he and his partner Anders Ellegaard dig further into Linnea’
Laura Rash
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot more than the first in this series. Nils has some wicked and sometimes very inappropriate humor that had me snickering. This storyline was very interesting and the weapon of choice was a new aspect for a thriller.
Pat
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-books, 2018, series
3 stars

Nils Shapiro book #2. Nils and his partner have left the Minneapolis police department and are pursuing new careers as investigators for hire. Anders
Ellegard is hoping to snag a corporation for steady count-upon work to help their business grow. Meanwhile, Nils takes a case from distraught parents who are trying to find their missing daughter. But, the missing daughter case turns into so much more.

And that "so much more" is what I did not like about this book. Too many characters to keep
Kathy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minnesota; Hockey; Hunting with arrows; private investigators who team up after being cops; unsophisticated stuff...
Two girls go missing after hockey tournament - one found dead in cave in St Paul, the other is quite a long and tangled story; enough tawdry stuff to fill the dirty clothes hamper.
So, I tried the book because he wrote for Seinfeld. That was not apparent within this book.
2.5 stars for me
Library loan
try it if you think hockey begins and ends in the cold state of Minnesota, perhaps
Aristotle
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way this guy writes

"The morphine submerged me in amniotic fluid. I floated, cushioned and buoyant."

"After divorcing we agreed to joint custody of whiskey and sex and emotional support"

"When love has its grip on you, you shouldn't make financial decisions, operate heavy machinery, or play contact sports."

"A dying relationship is like an Alzheimer's patient. When it finally succumbs, it's less tragic because a big part of what you loved is already gone."

This was a sharply written,
Donna
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minnesota private investigator Nils Shapiro is hired to locate a teenager who disappeared. Actually, two girls disappeared the same night but one is soon located dead in a cave. After being allowed in the cave to view the scene, Nils steps out and is shot with an arrow. Although the police think they've spotted the girl, Nils refuses to give up the case until he finds her in person.

I liked this story better than the author's debut novel, Dust to Dust. From reading these books, I believe the
Sue Em
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe private investigator mysteries aren't as popular right now, but this genre is still one of my favorites. And it's a joy to see one executed so well. Nils Shapiro has added a partner, moved to tony offices and hired some interesting help for Stone Arch Investigations. Hired by the rich family of a girl who went missing the night of a hockey championship series game, Mila quickly discovers there is another high school girl who went missing that night. Hockey and the cold environs of St. ...more
Deidre
Well that was a disappointment. It started off so well too. Sorry to people I suggested it to before getting very far in.

Small bursts of great writing, but it just didn't come together well. I felt like some things were told too explicitly, others just popped up without any explanation. Mysteries should make you feel like you have just as much chance as solving it as the detective, I think.

And ugh, the sex scene. Has this author had sex with actual women? Or while injured? Seriously.
Karen
idk how to rate this. 2.75 maybe?
VickiLee
Back and forth, back and forth - This novel swings from one character to another and one storyline to another quickly and without much adhesion. I really enjoyed the character of Nils Shapiro and his partner, Anders Ellegaard. They are humane and kind men with a heightened sense of right and wrong. I happily read the other two books in the series and enjoyed them tremendously. While I did like this one I found it just slightly under par. Maybe it was the multitude of characters and families that ...more
Alan Teder
Nils Shapiro is a solid detective character and Matt Goldman has done a good job of building his character environment over the course of only 2 mystery novels. This current book did seem overly complicated though and I'll confess that I was getting completely confused in the end about who did what and why. This likely was due to my reading being of the audiobook edition as it would have been easier with a hard copy to scan back and check the back stories of various characters. The narration ...more
Robin
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I loved the first book in this series, GONE TO DUST, and the second title did not disappoint. The PI, Nils "Shap" Shapiro has an appealing combo of vulnerability and toughness, and the peripheral characters were appealing and well "fleshed" out. The plot and twists kept me riveted although I felt by the end it got a little too convoluted with a few too many loose ends to knot but that's a minor quibble.

Goldman's comedy writing skills come through in some of the dialogue as does Shap's eye for
3.5 stars. I really like the way this author writes and Nils Shapiro is a great character--plus I'm a sucker for anything set in Minnesota. This one was enjoyable, but a bit overly complicated to the point of being confusing at times. I had trouble following all the different threads of this mystery. Also, a small quibble, but the very unlikely way Nils managed to determine someone's laptop password had me rolling my eyes. But I like this series and will definitely be reading more of it!
Albert
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken Ice, the second in the series featuring private investigator, Nils Shapiro is a tale of crime noire at its finest. Set in the freezing temperatures of Minneapolis, this is a tale of drugs and murder and the darkest parts of the human heart.

"...I crawled out of the cave. Ellegaard waited for me outside the police tape. I told him all signs pointed to CO poisoning.
He said, 'Any sign of Linnea Engstrom?'
'Not yet.'
'Do you think she was in there?'
'I have no idea. But I know who we need to
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down ... so many twists & turns that keeps the story spiraling. Gone To Dust was an introduction to Nils ... Broken Ice was no-holds-barred suspense.
Meghan O'connor
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t put it down. Just like in the first book, the attention to detail and character development were spot on.
Ann
Fun read with MN background which delights me. Goldman tells a good story and the characters seem real.
Becky
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can’t get enough of Nils! Another great, fast read. The authors’s attention to detail is spot on. Highly recommend.
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Read It, Rate It and Record
A short review to update challenges

I listened toGone to Dustafter seeing it as an audible daily deal and went on to this next one in the Nils Shapiro series . I really enjoyed the Minnesota setting since so much is familiar, having lived there for many years. Nils has had a change in circumstances since we last saw him. I like it.

I love following detective Nils Shapiro as he meets the characters and gathers
Wendy Rae
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading books about Minnesota and crime/suspense is my genre. This is a fun little mystery and I enjoy this author.

However, don't listen to this book if you are a Minnesotan. The way the narrator pronounces some of the Minnesota cities - especially Wayazta - will be like nails on a chalkboard. Sooooo, painful.
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
There are few pleasures in life greater than reading a solid private investigation novel done correctly. So let me direct your attention to BROKEN ICE by Matt Goldman. While Goldman’s name may not be familiar to you, his work in television almost certainly is, as he is an Emmy-winning screenwriter for several comedy series that have become household names over the years. He recently turned his hand to writing crime novels, creating a Minneapolis private detective named Nils Shapiro, who debuted ...more
Lin Salisbury
Private Investigator Nils Shapiro is back in a second book by Matt Goldman, Broken Ice. Like his first book, New York Times bestseller Gone to Dust, Broken Ice is also set in Minnesota, this time during the iconic State Hockey Tournament. Minnesotans will recognize the familiar Xcel Center, the Anderson Window factory in Warroad, and a town filled with hockey fans during the state’s most temperamental month, March.

Nils and his partner Anders Ellegaard have been hired to find a missing teen from
Elaine
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
I enjoyed the author's debut novel Gone to Dust so I looked forward to reading Broken Ice.

** Spoilers ahead **

In the second installment of the Nils Shapiro series, Shap is hired by a couple to find their missing daughter, Linnea. At the same time, another missing teen has been found dead in a cave.

What is the girls' connection to each other? Shap doesn't believe in coincidences and neither do I.

The case is complicated, almost convoluted, with many characters, red herrings and potential
Anita
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, crime, fiction
Best thing about this book is the witty writing. There are a lot of characters but the author describes them pretty vividly which is a refreshing change from the new style in fiction of barely describing characters at all. It's helpful because there are quite a few players to keep track of. As usual, though, the protagonist is troubled, yet irresistible to the always beautiful opposite sex. Hm. Still, the story held my interest to the end and I appreciated some of the wry observations along the ...more
Laurie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Love Nils Shapiro, But....

I love Nils Shapiro, and am looking forward to reading the third book in the series, but the bad proofreading/editing drives me crazy. “Vile of blood” instead of “vial.” “Bails of hay” instead of “bales.” “Ticks” instead of “tics” ( describing a person with Tourette’s. “Step foot” instead of “set foot.” That’s just inexcusably sloppy. These books are written in the first person. Nils is not a sloppy investigator; he deserves better than a sloppy voice speaking for
Paige Turner
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent read. I read it in one day. It has everything I enjoy in a good suspense novel. Thrills & chills. Likeable characters that aren't perfect. A little sex and romance. An added plus for me as a Minnesotan, the Minnesota locations I can relate to. I can't wait for the next in this series...at least I HOPE there are more coming.
Martha Javinsky
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Hit for Matt Goldman

We see another case unfold for Nils Shapiro. This one moves to St. Paul and beyond in Minnesota. I love the way Goldman shows us the Minnesota sites and Minnesota quirks in his books. I find myself thinking I know who did it then with a small twist you have to start thinking again. Keep these stories coming.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dead Man's Mistress (Mac McKenzie, #16)
  • First, Kill the Lawyers: A Holland Taylor Mystery
  • Like to Die (Mac McKenzie, #15)
  • Ice Cold Heart (Monkeewrench, #10)
  • The Shadows We Hide (Joe Talbert, #2)
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • Tear It Down (Peter Ash, #4)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Silent City (Pete Fernandez, #1)
  • Dead Man Running (Alex McKnight, #11)
  • Deception Cove (Neah Bay, #1)
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (Andy Carpenter #20)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9)

Nils Shapiro (3 books)
  • Gone to Dust
  • The Shallows (Nils Shapiro, #3)