Start by marking “The Startup Squad” as Want to Read:
The Startup Squad

The Startup Squad

(The Startup Squad #1)

Girls mean business in a brand-new middle grade series about friendship and entrepreneurship!

All the great leaders had to start somewhere. And Theresa (“Resa” for short) is starting with the lemonade stand competition her teacher assigned to the class—but making it a success is going to be a lot harder than Resa thinks.

The prize: line-skipping tickets to Adventure Central.
Published May 7th 2019 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about The Startup Squad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Startup Squad

Start your review of The Startup Squad
Gigi
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-best-reads
This was a fun read. It gave me The Babysitters Club vibes! I think it's a book that should be included in the classroom for grades 3-6 to help inspire young entrepreneurs, especially young girls, while teaching the importance of working as a team.

The inner kid in me wished there were pictures to go along with the story.
Lorie Barber
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher for this ARC of The StartUp Squad to share with my reading group in exchange for an honest review.
Although I loved the main character’s realizations and change as she and her team made mistakes and learned from them, I had a bit of trouble with the stereotyping of girls infighting and being bossy. Had Resa been a male character, would she have been painted as a leader and not as bossy? So while I do like that Resa learned to listen to the ideas of others - an importan
Naomi Milliner
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book will not only be enjoyed; it will be inspiring. Young readers (especially girls) are sure to relate to at least one, if not all, of the four heroines. There is plenty of humor, a page-turning plot, and helpful tips about marking, sales, location (location! location!) and merchandising. "The only true failure is not trying."
Ms. Yingling
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Public library copy

Resa is super excited about the upcoming class trip to Adventure Central, and she definitely wants to win the money making competition to get the grand prize-- premium passes that will let her bypass the lines. Their teacher has assigned everyone in the class groups, and the groups must all sell lemonade at appointed times and locations. Resa is glad that her best friend, Didi, is in her group, and Harriet is amusing enough, but the new girl, Amelia, keeps shooting down all of
Olivia
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfic...

THE STARTUP SQUAD follows primarily Theresa (Resa) as she and a group of three other girls compete in a contest to make money for the sixth grade trip. The sixth grade trip this year is to a theme park, and so fundraising is in order! This year, the students have been selected into groups and will compete with lemonade stands. Of course, there are rules to follow, but the group who makes the most money will get VIP tickets to the t
KidlitUnderground
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
@kidlitexchange # partner - In a very cool, interactive book-website-contest initiative, entrepreneur Brian Weisfeld and acclaimed children’s author Nicole C. Kear have teamed up to create THE STARTUP SQUAD.
Type A Teresa (Resa) Lopez has been conditioned since embryohood to be an entrepreneur and is sure she can crush archnemesis Val in the class lemonade stand competition.
She’s excited to team up BFF Indira (Didi) but struggles to work with unknown quantities fellow know-it-all Type A new girl
Valerie McEnroe
I have to admit, this book was a slow start for me. The topic is great, entrepreneurship, but I wasn't thrilled with the lemonade stand concept. Lemonade stands are quite outdated, especially for 6th graders.

Resa, Didi, Harriet, and Amelia are grouped together for the class competition to see who can make the most money selling lemonade. Resa and Didi are already best friends, but Harriet is annoying, and Amelia is the new girl, so Resa is worried. She really wants to win the VIP tickets on the
Barbara
Once sixth grader Resa Lopez learns what the prize for winning the lemonade competition is announced, she is determined to come in first place. But her teacher, Ms. Davis, believes in mixing things up, and Resa is not thrilled with her team. While it's true that her best friend, Didi, is on that team, so are two girls that she's sure will be dead-weight on the team: new girl Amelia and Harriet, who is always late for everything. There's no doubt that Resa has good leadership potential, but how c ...more
Lorie
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Resa and her friends have been assigned to make and sell lemonade for a school based entrepreneur lesson that will win them VIP tickets to the local theme park. Along the way, the girls make every mistake that a small business can make- they squabble, make the wrong location choices, and run out of ingredients before they should. Will they get it together in time to have a chance at winning?

This is the first book in the series and the goal is to empower middle grade girls to explore financial k
Kim Long
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I received an ARC of this on Saturday and finished the book on Tuesday. Such a fun, quick read! Think THE LEMONADE WAR with a dose of SHARK TANK. Lol.

Up for grabs are free passes to a theme park to the group that sells the most lemonade over a period of two weekends. The teacher divides the class into teams, and Resa is, well, less than thrilled with her teammates. Not surprisingly, by the end they learn to work together, but it's the path they take to reach that moment that works really w
RedPoppyReading
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
“The Startup Squad,” by Brian Weisfeld and Nicole C. Kear, perfectly captures the challenges of a school group project. This story follows a team of girls competing in a lemonade-selling contest for school. The team has lots of disagreements and faces many challenges due to not being prepared and just trying things that don’t work out. I love how this book shows that working together can be really challenging but the girls learn to compromise and learn that winning isn’t everything.
For ages 8-1
CR
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review: Sorry guys no video from Anarece this time around she is fighting a fever of 102 and will not be doing videos right now.

This was such a cute little story that I had a fun time reading. I did have to ask my mom a few times about words I didn't know but I did really well with this one. I think it would work great for girls who are in Girl Scouts since this one had a paper with it about selling cookies. As well as the book had a lot about selling it in. I really enjoyed it and loved Res
Erin Buhr
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
An energetic story about being a team, friendship, and entrepreneurship. When a group of girls is put together for a lemonade stand school contest it seems like one of those awful group projects doomed to fail. The four girls have completely different ideas and vibrant personalities that don’t quite fit together. As they work through how to be a team and how to run a successful business it turns out their team might just be perfect. I can see what this has been called a modern babysitters club. ...more
Four girls team up on a lemonade stand for a school project and run into every possible problem.

Interesting concept, but the story fell flat for me. It felt like the author was trying too hard, the writing was more telling than showing, and the plot was too cut and dry- everything working out too neatly and predictably. Not realistic at all. I also felt that there was way too much conflict making the characters annoying and too much failure making the learning curve not believable.

I do like th
Kristin Thorsness
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story! The Startup Squad follows a group of middle school girls through a class fundraising project. Over the course of the story they learn the importance of planning ahead, listening to everyone’s ideas, and how to maintain friendships even when the going gets tough. The back of the book also includes a guide for entrepreneurial kids on how to start their own business—it would make a great class project!

As a former 5th and 6th grade teacher, I highly recommend this book for classroo
Aimee Lucido
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun! I remember just *devouring* books like this one as a kid, and I can just picture myself being inspired to open up my own lemonade stand (which I did multiple times anyway) after reading this book. The characters are vibrant and endearing, and they make mistakes that anyone would make, but they learn from them in a way that readers will be able to empathize with. And the business tips in the back of the book are such a stellar touch. I can't wait for more kids to read th ...more
Chris Baron
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of this book, and as it came through the door, my 11YO daughter wanted to read it immediately. An inspiring story about friendship and making even the youngest entrepreneurial dreams a reality, The Startup Squad is the right kind of inspiration for creative kids to learn about teamwork, fairness, and what it takes to put a plan into action! We loved it!
Caity
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cool book. The characters are well written and easy to relate to, pretty much everyone has been stuck with a dysfunctional group for a school project before so seeing how the girls work through their problems was inspirational. Overall the book has tons of great advice for kids looking to start their own business or learning how to operate in a group without becoming preachy. The story is fun and funny throughout keeping the reader engaged.
Lyla
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a cute book for kids around the age of 8-11. The story is filled with middle school drama, a long-running rivalry, and great messages about friendship. This is a great book for young apiring entrepreneurs and filled with great tips and tricks for starting their own company. I would definitely recommend this to any girls wanting to learn about leadership and entrepreneurship.
Lisa Schmid
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel19s
I. Love. This. Book. I love everything about it. I love the story. I love the message. I love the characters. I read it with my eleven-year-old son and now he wants to start his own business using the tips and tricks he read about in The StartUp Squad. This book belongs in the hands of every middle grade reader-boy or girl.
SJ Barakony
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a joy! Really and truly enjoyed this 120 odd page read by the co authors

We are beyond blessed as a culture & society when we create more entrepreneurial thinking & free enterprise.

This book's characters have much potential to inspire our GenZers - Resa... Harriet ... Amelia ... Didi ... 😆 lol

Read it - you'll love your time investment
Shauna Holyoak
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read about a group of classmates who learn the importance of teamwork in making their lemonade-stand and their friendships successful. Looking forward to more entrepreneurial adventures for this fun-loving and diverse girl squad.
Niki
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun story featuring girls as entrepreneurs! How can you make the most money from your lemonade stand? Marketing, sales, location, and merchandising! Cute characters and a fun concept.
Sarit
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 10 year old daughter really enjoyed this book and was inspired to try her hands at being an entrepreneur at a recent young girls' fair.
Leeldoo
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent late elementary and middle school read. My 9 year old really enjoyed this book and I appreciate the characters and problem solving done within their group.
Barb
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It’s a good book to showcase how to work together. The characters were very real.
Chelsea
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really cute junior/middle grade about getting along with others . Bonus tips on being a girl boss at the back !
Suzie
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story about girls getting down to business- loved it!
Sileih Robinson
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This author came to my school he autographed my book an he gave us a copy
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This would pair well with The Lemonade War.

• Caterpillar Summer
  • Give and Take
  • When You Trap a Tiger
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • Friend or Fiction
  • The Library of Ever (The Library of Ever #1)
  • Ways to Make Sunshine
  • My Jasper June
  • Jaclyn Hyde
  • When Stars Are Scattered
  • All the Impossible Things
  • The Best at It
  • Foreverland
  • Emmy in the Key of Code
Brian Weisfeld has been building businesses his entire life. In elementary school, he bought 95 pounds of gummy bears and hired his friends to sell them. As a teen, he made and sold mixtapes (ask your parents what those are), sorted baseball cards (he got paid in cards), babysat four days a week after school, and sold nuts and dried fruit (and more gummy bears) in a neighborhood store. As an adult ...more

The Startup Squad (2 books)
  • Face the Music (The Startup Squad #2)